What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic did it again - they snuck in new hairstyle

Comments

• Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    YAY! and we want the other unique hair styles too!

Yep. Hand it all over and be done with it. Don't forget the ships, the missions, and the clothes. :o

---
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some of the Cat styles allow for multiple colours.
    Are these color options that actually do something?
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Braided hair would be nice
    In four colors! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yep. Hand it all over and be done with it. Don't forget the ships, the missions, and the clothes. :o

---
    Someone had to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ya. Starfleet = Skynet. I'm totally buying that. :D

You know, I'm not into female avatars, so I went into the game and compared the choices of my male Human Starfleet officer, up against my Male Romulan.

Hairstyles for Male Starfleet Officer: 34.

Hairstyles for Male Romulan: 20.

This leads me to humbly suggest that you must be kidding me. It's obvious who got all the stuff already. That's my feedback for sure.

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I did a count using my female BOFFs as well, just to confirm my "growing" suspicions.

Female Romulan Hairstyles: 38

Female Human Federation: 53.

So The Feds got 15 more styles there. I don't think they're in a great danger of losing their hair yet!

---
  • Options
    seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hrm, well, after checking this hairstyle out in game, I can say a few things:

#1. It has some weird gaps in it where you can see through to the scalp (I tried to apply it to a Satra, if you'd like to replicate). Image here: http://i.imgur.com/dH6nwSN.png

#2. If anything, it detracts from the overall distinctiveness of Romulans because it almost completely covers their pointy ears and forehead. So a point in the favor of porting it to all factions there, in my book.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hrm, well, after checking this hairstyle out in game, I can say a few things:

#1. It has some weird gaps in it where you can see through to the scalp (I tried to apply it to a Satra, if you'd like to replicate). Image here: http://i.imgur.com/dH6nwSN.png

#2. If anything, it detracts from the overall distinctiveness of Romulans because it almost completely covers their pointy ears and forehead. So a point in the favor of porting it to all factions there, in my book.

Regarding point number 2.

If the style does not fit in somewhere, it does not get more suitable by universal application. What you're really saying now is that Romulans should not have it, but it can be used in other places. That is at least how I would treat a "detraction". And it would be a better solution for it. If it is indeed such a thing. That is the real question.

It is either suitable, or it is not. so it should be removed. Or not. ;)

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I did a count using my female BOFFs as well, just to confirm my "growing" suspicions.

Female Romulan Hairstyles: 38

Female Human Federation: 53.

So The Feds got 15 more styles there. I don't think they're in a great danger of losing their hair yet!

---
    One thing to consider is that most federation hairstyles are not gender specific. Thus they look like they have more than they really do.

Truthfully, I don't see much point in race/gender restricted hairstyles at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Regarding point number 2.

If the style does not fit in somewhere, it does not get more suitable by universal application. What you're really saying now is that Romulans should not have it, but it can be used in other places. That is at least how I would treat a "detraction". And it would be a better solution for it. If it is indeed such a thing. That is the real question.

It is either suitable, or it is not. so it should be removed. Or not. ;)

---
    It is suitable for many races, just less so for Romulans, if (and this is the important part) factional distinctiveness is important to people. I'm not saying Romulans shouldn't have it. Plus it's already made, so what's the point in removing it? That would just be a waste of developer time. :P
  • Options
    butstonfreembutstonfreem Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And now, while you're at it, count klingon hairstyles. Yet nobody suggested the hairstyle to be added for klingons. Why? Because it would not fit them. This has nothing to do with faction uniqueness.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Are these color options that actually do something?

If you like tinting things.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    And now, while you're at it, count klingon hairstyles. Yet nobody suggested the hairstyle to be added for klingons. Why? Because it would not fit them. This has nothing to do with faction uniqueness.

We are obviously looking at something released as a Romulan hairstyle. So I'm sticking to that premise, thank you. When they release a Klingon hairstyle, I am sure that can be discussed in proper form. This is just not it.

Your argument about parties not involved in this debate, invalidating the idea of faction based uniqueness, does not quite compute.

This is about federation players wanting a Romulan style, and about me saying they got enough variation already, so they don't need to look like Romulans. And Romulans should not look like humans either. For that would be incredibly boring you know? ;)

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I could see a female Orion with it.
    If you like tinting things.
    Well as long as it produces a visible effect. :P Some of the "Romulan" hairstyles have 4 colors but AFAIK only the first is used.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It is suitable for many races, just less so for Romulans, if (and this is the important part) factional distinctiveness is important to people. I'm not saying Romulans shouldn't have it. Plus it's already made, so what's the point in removing it? That would just be a waste of developer time. :P

Not removed from the game, but used by someone else. If it is not suitable as you said. Faction distinctiveness is alpha and omega in a game with a genuine faction system, so any solutions should be considered.

Personally need some time to warm up to this hairstyle. But I'm against universal application since it is specific enough to not work towards faction distinctiveness if everyone can use them. They are going for impulses that already might exist within the Romulan camp. Although not a personal fan of these impulses, they should probably be contained, for the sake of overal coherency.

---
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Klingons are desperately in need of hair styles other than friggin dreadlocks.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well as long as it produces a visible effect. :P Some of the "Romulan" hairstyles have 4 colors but AFAIK only the first is used.

It does. My Doctor has a rather stylish beard. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Not removed from the game, but used by someone else. If it is not suitable as you said. Faction distinctiveness is alpha and omega in a game with a genuine faction system, so any solutions should be considered.

Personally need some time to warm up to this hairstyle. But I'm against universal application since it is specific enough to not work towards faction distinctiveness if everyone can use them. They are going for impulses that already might exist within the Romulan camp. Although not a personal fan of these impulses, they should probably be contained, for the sake of overal coherency.

---
    I rally don't see how hairstyles work towards faction distinctiveness... at least not in a good way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I rally don't see how hairstyles work towards faction distinctiveness... at least not in a good way.

It does in a simplified environment, where you have limited ways to convey impulses. With more options on the table, you get greater variation. But then again, remember that the source material comes with some guidelines, as to what we are supposed to look like. This very much include hairstyles, to the best of my knowledge. :)

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It does in a simplified environment, where you have limited ways to convey impulses. With more options on the table, you get greater variation. But then again, remember that the source material comes with some guidelines, as to what we are supposed to look like. This very much include hairstyles, to the best of my knowledge. :)

---
    It's still not THAT restrictive. Sure there were a lot of Romulans with nearly identical haircuts.... but there were a lot who didn't..
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Personally, I don't mind if some hairstyles are restricted based on species or faction - the braided Klingon hairstyle, for example, or the classic TNG Romulan pointy bowler hat do, make sense being specific in application. These are the sorts of hairstyles that should be used to differentiate factions.

What annoys me is when hairstyles that are quite generic are restricted based on faction without any real reason. This new option would work equally well on a Human, Romulan or Orion, for example. Given how much love hair as a whole could use, it seems like a waste to put effort into giving us new options only to restrict it to a single faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It's still not THAT restrictive. Sure there were a lot of Romulans with nearly identical haircuts.... but there were a lot who didn't..

This is true. But when we have a game with a limited number of assets, shared between the factions, you don't need a lot of variation before it looks very random, compared to expectations based on the setting. It must be a balance between the traditional MMO freedom, and that familiar look that makes you feel like you belong in the setting somehow. This might sometimes feel restrictive, but it is the nature of the beast. Players will do their best to randomize everything by default. ;)

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This is true. But when we have a game with a limited number of assets, you don't need a lot of variation before it looks very random, compared to expectations based on the setting. It must be a balance between the traditional MMO freedom, and that familiar look that makes you feel like you belong in the setting somehow. This might sometimes feel restrictive, but it is the nature of the beast. Players will do their best to randomize everything by default. ;)

---
    Like the people who pattern their characters on comic book superheros? :D I've seen a few Kryptonians, Gamma Mutants, and Zentraedi roaming the game. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Waiting for the Patrick Stewart/Robert Picardo bald style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Like the people who pattern their characters on comic book superheros? :D I've seen a few Kryptonians, Gamma Mutants, and Zentraedi roaming the game. :P

Sorry about that edit. It was just a quick addition/clarification, no sneaky stuff.

You see a lot of creative alien designs out there.... I saw what can only be described as the "Ant-Man" today, in the Winter Wonderland. He was bald though.

With the alien creator there is plenty of "strange Romulans" out there, to put it mildly. :P

---
  • Options
    butstonfreembutstonfreem Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It just feels very random to me that you draw the line at sharing a hairstyle that doesn't even look inherently romulan, while people fly around in enemy faction ships wearing tuxedos.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It just feels very random to me that you draw the line at sharing a hairstyle that doesn't even look inherently romulan, while people fly around in enemy faction ships wearing tuxedos.

The randomness of the ships in general is indeed sad, but outside of any input we can ever provide. That is the hairfine difference you might be looking for. This case is within the realm of possible salvage. Since we are talking about something that has not happened yet, and it involves something very specific. It might be the latest effort in the drive to promote Manga Elves, granted. But it was indeed the most suitable topic of the day, touching the relevant aspect of faction deconstruction, that must be avoided at all cost!

Those Lockbox/Lobi ships truly stand out as STO's version of Terra Incognita. Or No Man's land. Feedback is not an option. Sadly. :(

---
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I've ran into Yoda, Santa Clause, Pamela Anderson, Predators, and even Marty McFly.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've ran into Yoda, Santa Clause, Pamela Anderson, Predators, and even Marty McFly.

I've met Homer Simpson as recently as last night, and my meetings in the last three years include Rusty Venture, Dr. Evil, and Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

I only with I was that creative with chargen.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I've met Homer Simpson as recently as last night, and my meetings in the last three years include Rusty Venture, Dr. Evil, and Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

I only with I was that creative with chargen.

Should I make some tutorials? :P
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I've also seen a pretty good imitation of Johnny Bravo. I didn't know you could make a chest that huge with legs that small. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing