Install Arc

Cryptic did it again - they snuck in new hairstyle

Comments

• verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's a nice looking hair do
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Apologies that this missed the patch notes when it was introduced. We've identified why it was mistakenly missed and hope to be able to avoid it in the future. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

And the "missed the point entirely" award goes too..... ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unlock the "epic beard" option for females! Stop constraining my toons with your antiquated notions of gender-specific body image!
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nikkojt wrote: »
    I just really think you've chosen a terrible thread to try the "unique faction assets" thing in. This is about a hairstyle that isn't even visually tied to any of the factions. This is something where there's no apparent justification, lore or otherwise, for it being exclusive. We're not talking about something distinctive like point-shouldered shirts here - this is one of the most generic things since the freighter model.

With a limited range of options, choices, and resources, every asset needs to go somewhere. If they go everywhere, you're spreading it out thin. And that's what should not be done. As I've said.

This hair could have been dropped anywhere probably. But so can any other style. And that's it. Nobody would have made a fuss about a new Federation hairstyle I bet. Because it would be less marginal. Faction identity is not automatically tied to specific aesthetical pointers, it just has to add up in the end. And as this is not a simulation, you have to make that final "cut".

This is no more or less a terrible place to go, than any other thread asking and begging to port any asset over to any other faction. Simply because that is what this is about. Still.

Sorry if it makes anyone hairsore. :D

---
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It annoys the hell out of me. Especially when they ignore those restrictions they impose on players for some random npcs. Like they're trying to troll me.

SO MUCH THIS!!!!

Before they FINALLY unlocked the privateer costume for the KDF it would troll me regularly when I'd see he npcs at my fleet starbase wearing most portions of it. GAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Seriously cryptic; if youre gonna spread some love to the Roms, you gots to give more to the feds; the feds haven't had new dos for some time - I mean, Faux Hawk is starting to be dated even by today's standards....
  • mecteshmectesh Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Outfits are a good way to differentiate factions. For example. Hairstyles are not.

I would agree, with a further note that it really only makes sense to segregate faction *uniforms*; i.e. probably not going to see KDF armor on a Fed char, or a TOS tunic on a Romulan. Anything off-duty(-ish) should be cross-faction (most if not all of the Romulan civilian outfits come to mind).
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011): 2GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Apologies that this missed the patch notes when it was introduced. We've identified why it was mistakenly missed and hope to be able to avoid it in the future. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, I'm glad you piped in, but it's obvious from the majority of the posts here that the ire isn't from it not being in the patch notes but moreso from it being limited to the Roms. Can you shed some useful light on THAT?!?!?
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want to have it on my bolian char :D
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I could not care less for the hairstyle. We're talking about porting unique faction based assets here. Or least I am. Thematical representation as in -simulation-, would belong in another game at any rate. As you must know on some level.

---

Unique faction stuff? I think the roms already have the faction unique stuff from everyone else. They cloak better than the KDF, and are as durable as the feds while making EVERY ship a sci vessel with built in sci powers.

If Cryptic wanted Rom ships to be better at cloaking it didn't been to make them all battlecloak, nor make them all more durable than their non cloaking fed counterparts. Warbirds should be made of tinfoil for all the stuff they have. But alas...

Unique faction stuff is gone, it was never around to begin with since balance was always a joke.
    edited December 2013
    Unique faction stuff? I think the roms already have the faction unique stuff from everyone else. They cloak better than the KDF, and are as durable as the feds while making EVERY ship a sci vessel with built in sci powers.

If Cryptic wanted Rom ships to be better at cloaking it didn't been to make them all battlecloak, nor make them all more durable than their non cloaking fed counterparts. Warbirds should be made of tinfoil for all the stuff they have. But alas...

Unique faction stuff is gone, it was never around to begin with since balance was always a joke.

It is true that complete nullification will accomplish a state of equilibrium. I don't care much for balance at such a cost, personally.

---
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wish they would do this one day with hair options for the cat species.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    Bran, I'm glad you piped in, but it's obvious from the majority of the posts here that the ire isn't from it not being in the patch notes but moreso from it being limited to the Roms. Can you shed some useful light on THAT?!?!?

Doh! Sorry, I had actually meant to but was pulled away as I was typing and forgot to add in:

I've passed along feedback that you'd like to see it available to others.

I've done this ---^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited December 2013
    I hope the counterarguments will be reviewed as well. For the sake of that balance we hear so much about. :)

---
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nikkojt wrote: »
    Remind me again how a punk hairstyle is thematically representative of the Romulan Republic?

Why would anyone ever identify a rebel movement with punk rock?

Clearly, punk is about Hot Topic.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    I hope the counterarguments will be reviewed as well. For the sake of that balance we hear so much about. :)

---

When I pass along feedback, it includes both sides of the topic.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited December 2013
    When I pass along feedback, it includes both sides of the topic.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Tell them to add more punk to the Republic, too!

People will stop complaining about D'Tan if you added a mission where you get sloshed with him and throw an empty Romulan Ale bottle at Sela's head while screaming about how logical anarchy is.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why would anyone ever identify a rebel movement with punk rock?

Clearly, punk is about Hot Topic.
    This is a punk hairstyle. The one added to the game is clearly not.

Or maybe that's punk from a Romulan point of vue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Face it, Romulan punk would be awesome.

Anarchy on Mol'Rihan!
    edited December 2013
    I'm more of an "order and stability" kind of Romulan, but it is all true. D'Tan is in dire need of a "bad hair day" to make him more interesting somehow. :P

---
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It looks awesome in pink lol
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Always nice to see more hairstyles. Bit disappointed it's currently Rom specific but hey ho.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    doh! Sorry, I Had Actually Meant To But Was Pulled Away As I Was Typing And Forgot To Add In:

i've Passed Along Feedback That You'd Like To See It Available To Others.

I've Done This ---^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

TTHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNK YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!

More hair is good.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Doh! Sorry, I had actually meant to but was pulled away as I was typing and forgot to add in:

I've passed along feedback that you'd like to see it available to others.

I've done this ---^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

YAY! and we want the other unique hair styles too!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's an awesome hairstyle. Tinkering with it makes me wonder if it's the only hairstyle in the game with a functional secondary color. I noticed some other Romulan hairstyles have more than one color button, but those don't seem to do anything.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's an awesome hairstyle. Tinkering with it makes me wonder if it's the only hairstyle in the game with a functional secondary color. I noticed some other Romulan hairstyles have more than one color button, but those don't seem to do anything.

Some of the Cat styles allow for multiple colours.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Am I the only one who is mildly annoyed that all these new hairstyles that look much better than anything else in game are reserved for a species that, from what we saw, had the absolute worst hairdressers in the galaxy? :mad:

Worst? Don't know what you're trying to say, but their hairdressers were masters of the bowl-cut/Moe Howard look. :P
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Braided hair would be nice
    y1arXbh.png

edited December 2013
    YAY! and we want the other unique hair styles too!

Yep. Hand it all over and be done with it. Don't forget the ships, the missions, and the clothes. :o

---
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some of the Cat styles allow for multiple colours.
    Are these color options that actually do something?
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Braided hair would be nice
    In four colors! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yep. Hand it all over and be done with it. Don't forget the ships, the missions, and the clothes. :o

---
    Someone had to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]