test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic did it again - they snuck in new hairstyle

monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Art of Star Trek Online
This is the second time recently that I've noticed they snuck in an appearance option without it ever being in patch notes (that I can recall). The first was the new color palate and rank pins for the Fed wrath of khan outfit. I had just got a winter coat and scarf for my female romulan captain tonight and went to make her a new outfit.

Now we have a new hairstyle for female romulans: Punk 01. I haven't checked yet to see if it's available for non-romulan females, or if it's another romulan only hairstyle like the gothic long, long wavy, and short straight.

You can make it have 2 colors though it's kinda hard to get it to look good. I think that black(F24)+red(B5) looks great. :D

iyb1.jpg
u5st.jpg

Edit: For my female romulan captain I have a female android bridge officer and the new Punk hairstyle isn't available for her. :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to have to look on my Orion and my Andorian. Looks fun. I hope I can get it on other toons.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • danteandersendanteandersen Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to see the Romulan hairstyle with the part on the right side of the forehead (the 2nd one below the top hairstyle picture on the right side of the character model/the 2nd one above the new punk hairstyle) ported over to be usable by Fed and KDF characters as well. Not sure of the name of it, but I wanted it for one of my normal Fed characters for a while now.

I do like the new hairstyle, though.

- END OF LINE
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    WHY CAN'T WE GET THIS ON OTHER CHARACTERS WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

*untranslatable sobbing*
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    An asian hairstyle, popular in some anime. :P
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like it because I wish they'd do this more often(the surprise new hairstyles thing), but the hairstyle itself is meh to me.

I did give it to a BOFF though.
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Am I the only one who is mildly annoyed that all these new hairstyles that look much better than anything else in game are reserved for a species that, from what we saw, had the absolute worst hairdressers in the galaxy? :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The quality of the models and textures is a step up but the styles themselves are largely god-awful. This one is no exception. Ewww.

Long Wavy is the only new one worth a damn.

Well I lied, the Khan do is cool and the new bun is nice, but all the rest is awful.
    edited December 2013
    Am I the only one who is mildly annoyed that all these new hairstyles that look much better than anything else in game are reserved for a species that, from what we saw, had the absolute worst hairdressers in the galaxy? :mad:

No. No you are not. :mad::mad::mad:
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Still waiting for the horseshoe ala Picard and Zimmerman.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I really like this new hairstyle. But I implore Cryptic to not have this as another romulan only hairstyle. They already have 3 exclusive styles, as pointed out in my first post here.

Please make the new punk hairstyle available for all females of all species (well except remans since they don't have any hair at all). :(
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That new do does look pretty good.
    I think a new one was added for female klingons too!
    My Liberated Borg Klink has new dreads :}

I agree though that not all hair styles should be race dependent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It actually makes sense that the Republic has most of the Romulan hairdressers. It stands to reason that hairdressers were heavily persecuted by the Tal Shiar and fled to join the Republic, so the bulk of the Romulan hairdressers are all with the Republic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ooh, I like this. It also looks really detailed!

I hope there will come a time when all the old hairstyles are updated to be so nice and detailed... and maybe not faction-locked.

...And maybe even more hairstyles added.

But, for now... I like this! Thanks for the nice surprise, Cryptic.
  • butstonfreembutstonfreem Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013

It annoys the hell out of me. Especially when they ignore those restrictions they impose on players for some random npcs. Like they're trying to troll me.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want to say this style is from an NPC, but I'm not sure...
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Whilst this is a nice set of hair, don't the Romulans already have enough? Some KDF players have been screaming for more hair options since launch, and they're still neglected, yet Romulan players (who, to my knowledge, haven't asked for more hair) get a new style every so often.

I'd say it's illogical, but then the Romulans don't follow logic like the Vulcans do. Please Cryptic, some love for the Klingon Hair Stylists?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd still love to see the other long hair styles available to female romulan characters.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013

LOL... They're breaking out with some new trends :-)
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xparr15 wrote: »
    I'd still love to see the other long hair styles available to romulan characters.
    Fixed, and I agree. ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Um, am I the only one who noticed that there is something new about this one? AFAIK all other hairstyles have only one color option. This is the only one I've ever seen that has more than one color option.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Seriously OP. I have to speak up here.

Factions, even fractions, should be *differentiated* by design in all departments available. This might include every asset imaginable, up to, and including hairstyles.

The idea of porting something just because it is personally desirable, assures a marginalized and trivial support for such faction *differentiation*.

A quantification of the number of assets involved in this process, is not an excuse for dropping the faction support we ultimately need in order to feel at home, and made us go there in the first place. Call it the "identity" of a faction.

You either have factions, or you have mirrored copies that represent no such thing. The latter is not desirable, because there is no options avalable anymore in reality. So any choice is trivial, because it is indeed weightless and without consequence. Sides becomes merely a line in the sand. All dressed up the same, and similar in every aspect. But the name.

Oh, but this is only a little thing, surely not a matter that can undermine the whole overarching theme?

-This might seem so, until you realize that the sum of it all, is made up of all these tiny pieces. For most greater constructs, can be broken down in exactly this way. By looking at the small things.

You may create a character in the appropriate faction, as opposed to passively letting the assets come to you. Thus you always have access to something desirable.

It is also solved, more importantly, by allowing the creation of *different* assets for other factions. This is how good faction design is working. Not by porting everything desirable over and over and over again, until there is nothing left to look for.

Funny thing, when there is nothing left, there is also nothing more to explore. So you can indeed passively just sit there, in the safe knowledge that all comes to those who wait. This seems to be the plan here.

I'm am sorry, but that's how -not to- make a good faction based game. What is needed is different assets for different factions. Not more of the same, in the name of that personal agenda, destined to miss out on the bigger picture.

---
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *long rant snip*
    ---
    Remind me again how a punk hairstyle is thematically representative of the Romulan Republic?
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nikkojt wrote: »
    Remind me again how a punk hairstyle is thematically representative of the Romulan Republic?

I could not care less for the hairstyle. We're talking about porting unique faction based assets here. Or least I am. Thematical representation as in -simulation-, would belong in another game at any rate. As you must know on some level.

---
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I could not care less for the hairstyle. We're talking about porting unique faction based assets here. Or least I am. Thematical representation as in -simulation-, would belong in another game at any rate. As you must know on some level.

---

I just really think you've chosen a terrible thread to try the "unique faction assets" thing in. This is about a hairstyle that isn't even visually tied to any of the factions. This is something where there's no apparent justification, lore or otherwise, for it being exclusive. We're not talking about something distinctive like point-shouldered shirts here - this is one of the most generic things since the freighter model.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd say that hairstyles should be available equally for every faction and gender. I see no reason to restrict hair at all... seems artifical to me. More options is better.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Makes sense to me, actually -- it almost seems like a youth haircut that stands as an outgrowth of the traditional Romulan cuts.
    edited December 2013
    I'd say that hairstyles should be available equally for every faction and gender. I see no reason to restrict hair at all... seems artifical to me. More options is better.

^^^^^^What this guy said.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cannot wait to use this hair style later, on my Federation Lib Borg char......oh wait :rolleyes:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    Apologies that this missed the patch notes when it was introduced. We've identified why it was mistakenly missed and hope to be able to avoid it in the future. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Limiting hairstyles to a single species is stupid. Differences are not in the hairstyle. I don't see why this hairstyle is so Romulan, and nobody else would have it. I've seen this IRL, obviously on humans.
    That's not like we will see a character with this hairstyle and immediately think "Oh this is a Romulan !".

Outfits are a good way to differentiate factions. For example. Hairstyles are not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]