test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WTH? it's pronounced eeeee-pohs not ep-ohs...

Comments

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wait a minute, there are people who pronounce it with a long "E"? It's clearly phonetically "e-p-əʊ" (like 'episode')... why would one think otherwise?

EDIT: I have just realised that maybe this is one of those American vs British English things. Ignore me :)

Yup. Until the OP raised a stink, it never occurred to me that anyone would pronounce it with a long "e" to begin with. Those wacky brits and their extraneous "u"s added into everything...maybe it's compensation: "Look, my word colour is longer than your word color." :P
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's been pronounced by devs on several occasions prior to season 7 release on various podcasts as "eee-pohs". But as other have said... tomato tamato.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=30
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    It's been pronounced by devs on several occasions prior to season 7 release on various podcasts as "eee-pohs". But as other have said... tomato tamato.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=30

Obviously the devs made an error and have now fixed the bug.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find the vendor's speech perfectly normal for epohh. But than agan I'm not English native speaker.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    Funny, assuming it's the Dhelan you're talking about, I pronounce it 'Dee-lahn'. Strange galaxy this is.

The "proper" Romulan pronunciation of "Dhelan" would be "Theh-lan" since the "dh" in Romulan represents the voiced dental fricative ("th" as in "they") and, as has been pointed out numorus times in this thread, the "e" always represents the short e (as in "bet"). However Subcommnader Mivek, the only (AFAIK) NPC in the game to say the word in a voice-over, pronounces it "Deh-lan." I was upset about this at first, but then I figured maybe it's a different dialect of Romulan, with a phenomenon similar to the "th-stopping" of the Metro New York dialect in which the dental fricative transforms to an aveolar stop ("d" sound). This would be in keeping with the spirit of the new republic, where commanders in the Star Navy come from a variety of backgrounds, and are not forced to change their accents to "proper" Romulan.

TLDR: Subcommander Mivek pronounces "Dhelan" wrong because she's from the Romulan version of Brooklyn.
    edited December 2013
    BTW how many of the people complaining about the mispronunciation of the "e" in "epohh" know the proper pronunciation of "hh"? Hint: it's not silent.
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Considering one of the Winter Eppohs is called "P'eppoh'mint" which is itself a play on Peppermint. I would wager that it always was pronounced the way the Romulan DOFF person says it and we (inc. some devs) are the ones that got the pronunciation wrong.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    llywela wrote: »
    "eh-POH"

http://www.rihan.org/drupal/lessons/pronunciation

No, it hasn't been argued to death yet! :D

Going by that site Epohh would be pronounced: "eh-po-ge" as the hh would be a j sound.

Going more Latin (which seems correct considering these are Space Romans after all) I believe it would be pronounced more like: "A-poe"
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Going by that site Epohh would be pronounced: "eh-po-ge" as the hh would be a j sound.

Going more Latin (which seems correct considering these are Space Romans after all) I believe it would be pronounced more like: "A-poe"

Depending on the source of the "Epo", of note when we use epo from latin sources it derives from Greek, in the greek "epo" (as with the Greek "epi") the "e" there is epsilon and not eta, and its sound would be like our short "i", or in short vary similar to the "eh" sound the woman is making.
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's not just the pronunciation but that GOD AWFUL voice they hired! Sounds like one of the Dev's girlfriend who was promised a speaking role in the game if she put out for him.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yup. Until the OP raised a stink, it never occurred to me that anyone would pronounce it with a long "e" to begin with. Those wacky brits and their extraneous "u"s added into everything...maybe it's compensation: "Look, my word colour is longer than your word color." :P

Hey! I am one of those wacky Brits!

But don't worry, I harbour no dishonour towards our American neighbours for their lack of labour in adding flavour or glamour to their language; I rather favour savouring their changes with good humour :D
    edited December 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »

Nice try, but it's actually the Spanish J as in "José" or "Ojo", the same sound as the German and Scottish Ch as in "Bach" or "loch". So the proper pronunciation of epohh would be "eh-poch."

Diane Duane invented the Romulan language almost single-handedly in her novels about the 23rd century Romulan Empire, which are the guide to what many consider the proper pronunciation of the language. Now a language used by an interstellar empire will most likely be subject to countless variations, and may change over time, especially with the demise of the central authorities that maintained these things, so what's "proper" could be considered a matter of opinion.

In other words:
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Tomato, Tomato.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    It's not just the pronunciation but that GOD AWFUL voice they hired! Sounds like one of the Dev's girlfriend who was promised a speaking role in the game if she put out for him.

Nice gender assumptions.

I believe that's actually a certain dev who has done VO before.

And I think she's deliberately Valley Girl-ing it up here. I wouldn't be surprised if the pronunciation wasn't done to troll the community.
    edited December 2013
    frostovski wrote: »
    Nice try, but it's actually the Spanish J as in "Jos?" or "Ojo", the same sound as the German and Scottish Ch as in "Bach" or "loch". So the proper pronunciation of epohh would be "eh-poch."

Diane Duane invented the Romulan language almost single-handedly in her novels about the 23rd century Romulan Empire, which are the guide to what many consider the proper pronunciation of the language. Now a language used by an interstellar empire will most likely be subject to countless variations, and may change over time, especially with the demise of the central authorities that maintained these things, so what's "proper" could be considered a matter of opinion.

In other words:

Is it a Romulan word though?
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I always thought it was pronounced ee-poh and that the devs had confirmed this in a thread when New Romulus (probably the best update this game has ever produced imo) was released.

I think I'm right in saying this is the first time we have heard a voice actor in-game pronounce it, so eh-poh it is. :(
    edited December 2013
    As someone that spent 4 years in school taking Spanish, whenever someone says am a rill o, it makes me rage inside

its am a ree yo >=/

It's not a Spanish word if it's said in English. It becomes an anglicized woird.

Same with "homage" losing the French pronunciation in some English accents.

And, yeah, I'm an anti-prescriptivist.

People who try to push obscure grammar and spelling rules come off as under-educated and pedantic to me. Language, pronunciation, grammar, and spelling deserve to be mangled and contorted as much as people can get away with doing so, without introducing confusion.

I ain't the Queen's language. It's yours. Each person owns their own use of language. Don't tell other people how to speak. Observe how they speak and study it, if you want to be a scholar.
    edited December 2013
    Is it a Romulan word though?

Yes. According to the epohh researchers on New Romulus, the creature was named after the Romulan word for "pet." In Duane's 23rd century "Empress' Romulan" this word would be pronounced "eh-poch."
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My entire 'suspension of disbelief' has been destoyed.

The eeeepoh researcher cleary is saying 'ep-ohs'.

Winter is RUINED!

I don't care what she say, its EEEEpohh
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    I don't care what she say, its EEEEpohh
    And you can't say it in a normal tone of voice. You have to pump your fists in the ear and scream it.

"EEEEpooooooohs!"
    edited December 2013
    Wait a sec, I just realized something...

According to Duane's phonology it's pronounced "eh-poch" (although that is 23rd century Romulan)....

The woman in Q's Winter Wonderland pronounces it "eh-po"....

AFAIK, nowhere else in Star Trek novels, STO lore, or any other licensed works is Romulan phonology in general or the pronouncation of the word "epohh" in particular touched upon....

So where the did this supposed pronunciation of "ee-po" come from??
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've always called them ee-po. I also heard Brandon say it like that too. I can see how it doesn't make sense when you look at it though. I was still surprised when I heard her saying eh-po...but I found it funny and still do. I really don't care either way.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    After continuously hearing the Epohh researcher and reading how it 'should' be pronounced I completely lost track on how i actually pronounce it myself. I'm actually on my way to hating this word now...
    frostovski wrote: »
    The "proper" Romulan pronunciation of "Dhelan" would be "Theh-lan" since the "dh" in Romulan represents the voiced dental fricative ("th" as in "they") and, as has been pointed out numorus times in this thread, the "e" always represents the short e (as in "bet"). However Subcommnader Mivek, the only (AFAIK) NPC in the game to say the word in a voice-over, pronounces it "Deh-lan." I was upset about this at first, but then I figured maybe it's a different dialect of Romulan, with a phenomenon similar to the "th-stopping" of the Metro New York dialect in which the dental fricative transforms to an aveolar stop ("d" sound). This would be in keeping with the spirit of the new republic, where commanders in the Star Navy come from a variety of backgrounds, and are not forced to change their accents to "proper" Romulan.

TLDR: Subcommander Mivek pronounces "Dhelan" wrong because she's from the Romulan version of Brooklyn.

Interesting study. I hope you won't mind me continuing to read it as I please though. :P
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • laheuganlaheugan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

my gosh...
    "Seleste" - http://www.reddit.com/r/sto Fleet Officer
    Reddit Alert, Reddit Star Empire, House of Snoo, House of the Rising Snoo
    Good Builds: http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013

What has been seen cannot be unseen

Childhood ruined.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oooohhh... well that was a good laugh. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    So... When do we get a Featured Epohsode?
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tomato, Tomato.

EpOOO, EEEpooo lets call the whole thing off!
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh come on guys, this isn't breaking immersion, it's enhancing it. Look at Dr. Pulaski and Data . . . or was it Data?

People, all over the world, butcher words from other languages. How about Iraq, or Amarillo Texas, or Melbourne Australia, or Anything British ending in a "cester".

The pronunciation of Epohh may not be, but the horrendously bad attempt at sounding like a ye olde English Londoner, is ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I thought it was "rabbit"....