test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Ker'rat Space War Zone

Comments

• fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Kerrat is not a fun place for feds. If you don't have a cloak, you're pretty much at a disadvantage. If you don't have a superb top-end build you're probably going to die constantly. If you don't have RSP, you won't survive alphas. What's worse, 95% of enemies will decloak and alpha, and when you don't die they run and cloak. It's not PvP if there's no one to fight.

I tend to do fine in Kerrat now, but I hadn't been there in over a year. The last time I went I spent a few minutes there and left. Most players who read "go to kerrat" on this blog, will go and find it a frustrating experience. Honestly, who decided that writing a blog post about Kerrat was a good idea? Very few people like PvP already; this is like throwing goldfish into a shark pit, no one that's already properly spec'ed for PvP will come out with a good opinion of it.

Tips to improve Kerrat from a fed perspective (since it's already a klink's wet dream):

1. Allow players to change instances - it's no fun being the only fed in an instance with multiple klinks.
    2. Give more incentive to go - add a fleet mark reward (make it on par with defera and you'll have droves coming to kerrat), dilithium, or better loot drops, etc.
    3. Add a debuff to the klinks in this zone - since the facility is in klink space the Borg could have adapted to the klinks. This could come in the form of allowing all ships to see cloaked klinks within 10k of a borg ship, and/or script the Borg in this zone to favor attacking klinks and add a damage buff.
    4. Make Klink success dependent on keeping feds from destroying the facility - this gives Klinks something constructive to do while still satisfying their need to troll feds and maintaining decloak+alpha tactics.
    5. Spawn camp still happens (I still spawn into aceton assimilators and multiple klinks) - set up a well defended spawn with tachy grids and turrets to defend spawning players on both sides.
    6. Make Kerrat a persistent zone - resetting the map is kind of annoying.
    7. Fix borg ship clipping/warping - borg ships are often stuck inside buildings, and though the warping issue is resolved for me, some players still complain about it.

Anyone else feel free to add to this. I'm feeling the flaming already lol.
    I remember when these sort of well thought out suggestions for Ker'rat were common.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I remember when these sort of well thought out suggestions for Ker'rat were common.

well thoughgt out??

1) You cant change instances if no others exist or all others are full. The game will not create a new instance just so somebody can farm.

2) Fleet marks would be cool.

3) Kerrat is in the NZ, or so I thought. Why would thd Borg only decloak klingon ship? Why would they not decloak everyone?

4) Our success is dependant on completion. Otherwise the game says " Fedz win" and resets.

5) spawn camping will always happen

6) fine by me.

7) true, the graphics still glitch.

Otherwise the suggestion, especially the punish those wicked klingon ones, are not yhought out past what a farmer of Kerrat would like to see.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited November 2013
    and even more syllogistic fallacies. How sad. I could recommend a good grammar school for you. But of course you wouldn't care about educating yourself but will instead continue on your "CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL KDF CAN GANK CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL" 6 year old rant.

Dude, seek therapy.

R.I.P
  • travisphoenixtravisphoenix Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This system is a complete dissapointment. Yay its a pvpve zone... but it resets incredibly fast, and is just a zone filled with cubes. They are not tough... there not fun, and are actually in the way. Can you make a better zone. This was a fail.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2013
    Kerrat is not a fun place for feds.

I play my fed (Roxbad) for the vast majority of my gameplay. I have fun in Ker'rat.

Then again, I'm not normal, 'cause I don't develop an animosity for people simply for beating me in a game. Some of my best online friendships have been with people that I've played against.
    If you don't have a cloak, you're pretty much at a disadvantage.

Not necessarily. You can usually hear a ship decloaking. You have time to react if, you're paying attention. And if, you are in a war zone, you should be paying attention.
    If you don't have a superb top-end build you're probably going to die constantly.

This is mostly true, although your skills, traits, and strategies do play a part as well. In any case, big deal. Dying doesn't cost you anything. Get over it.
    If you don't have RSP, you won't survive alphas. What's worse, 95% of enemies will decloak and alpha, and when you don't die they run and cloak. It's not PvP if there's no one to fight.

There are ways to deal with this. One is to build for stealth detection. Another is to pay attention. And even another is to play a Klingon.
    I tend to do fine in Kerrat now, but I hadn't been there in over a year. The last time I went I spent a few minutes there and left. Most players who read "go to kerrat" on this blog, will go and find it a frustrating experience. Honestly, who decided that writing a blog post about Kerrat was a good idea? Very few people like PvP already; this is like throwing goldfish into a shark pit, no one that's already properly spec'ed for PvP will come out with a good opinion of it.

People are crazy. Go figure.
    Tips to improve Kerrat from a fed perspective (since it's already a klink's wet dream):

1. Allow players to change instances - it's no fun being the only fed in an instance with multiple klinks.

Meh. I'd rather there were no instances in open zones. If, the opposing faction has a dominating presence then, either call in some support or go to a different system. The more the merrier.

Else what are you going to do? Move to a new instance and declare victory for controlling an uncontested zone? That misses the whole point of zone control.
    2. Give more incentive to go - add a fleet mark reward (make it on par with defera and you'll have droves coming to kerrat), dilithium, or better loot drops, etc.

The current missions, both PvE and PvP, are fine. Or would be if, the PvP mission was available consistently (is that a bug or what?).
    3. Add a debuff to the klinks in this zone - since the facility is in klink space the Borg could have adapted to the klinks. This could come in the form of allowing all ships to see cloaked klinks within 10k of a borg ship, and/or script the Borg in this zone to favor attacking klinks and add a damage buff.

No. Do better, get used to sacrifice, or abandon the zone.
    4. Make Klink success dependent on keeping feds from destroying the facility - this gives Klinks something constructive to do while still satisfying their need to troll feds and maintaining decloak+alpha tactics.

lol You realize that Klingons get a mission that rewards them for killing fed captains, no?

Maybe Cryptic should change that to rewarding them for healing fed ships. Then we could all walk among the sands of beaches around distant stars, holding hands, and singing songs about how friendship is magic.

And how is attacking your enemies in a war zone, trolling? It's a WAR ZONE. The PvE is just something to do to if, you have to wait for the PvP.
    5. Spawn camp still happens (I still spawn into aceton assimilators and multiple klinks) - set up a well defended spawn with tachy grids and turrets to defend spawning players on both sides.

That could work, but it doesn't make a lot of thematic sense for there to be a heavily defended installation within sight of the borg repair facility.

Multiple random respawn points would be better. Say about 10 spaced 20km from each other for each faction. There's more than enough room for this.
    6. Make Kerrat a persistent zone - resetting the map is kind of annoying.

Yabbut, the map needs to be reset for the PvE mission to be reset. Or does it? Maybe all the mission elements can be reset without warping the players to a new instance. That could work.
    7. Fix borg ship clipping/warping - borg ships are often stuck inside buildings, and though the warping issue is resolved for me, some players still complain about it.

Yes. Please fix this, Devs. Those warprepeating cubes give me a headache.

Only thing I would add is maybe to make the zone a little bigger, so as to allow travel completely around the planetary objects. More for aesthetics.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This system is a complete dissapointment. Yay its a pvpve zone... but it resets incredibly fast, and is just a zone filled with cubes. They are not tough... there not fun, and are actually in the way. Can you make a better zone. This was a fail.

Yet it's still the best PvP zone in STO. Isn't that sad indeed.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordbukkit wrote: »
    Is Ker'rat even relevant anymore?

Ker'rat was never relevant to begin with. Brandon's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for guest blog material.

lol pvp
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How is it not relevant? It's one of the easiest sources of dilithium, fleet marks, and loot drops in the whole game.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    How is it not relevant? It's one of the easiest sources of dilithium, fleet marks, and loot drops in the whole game.

The fact you have to gloss over the rest of the zone's 'gameplay' to bring up the rewards in order to support your argument really shows just how irrelevant it truly is.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay, so tell me if I got this right:

I should abandon my main toon because it's a fed and strictly come into Kerrat as a Klink. I should learn to pay attention to those noisy buffs and decloaks even over all of those pesky borg shooting me, my buffs and my ship shooting. I should get over dying even though I never said I cared about dying. Apparently my desire to change instances is to get into a zone alone and farm instead of attempting to get out of an unbalanced zone. The reason why I never see Klinks attempting to destroy the facility is because they have a brilliant tactic of trolling the enemy in order to make them quit coming to Kerrat. Any suggestion to balance the zone is clearly just my inadequacy and I just need to get better at the game. Oh and I need to quit whining because PvP isn't broken, I just need to PAY ATTENTION! Yup, got it bro.

This kind of elitism is exactly why the vast majority of players don't PvP. Unless the player base of PvP expands there's no profit to be made. Without a profit motive, PvP will remain essentially dead.

Instead of saying, "shut up noob", why don't you all provide your suggestions on how to improve Kerrat without relying on personal attacks and strawmen. But it's cool, I'll stop coming to Kerrat like everyone else

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited November 2013
    The "spawn-camping" issue was recently addressed and should be resolved now.

Are you going to use color-coded force fields... uber spawn point defense weaps... uber cloaked anti-camper NPCs?

What ever it is, make sure some one can't shoot it down (like those starbase turrets).
    edited November 2013
    Okay, so tell me if I got this right:

Oh and I need to quit whining because PvP isn't broken, I just need to PAY ATTENTION! Yup, got it bro.

Yes, that is exactly right.
    This kind of elitism is exactly why the vast majority of players don't PvP. Unless the player base of PvP expands there's no profit to be made. Without a profit motive, PvP will remain essentially dead.

It's not elitism. It's a reaction to players who claim to spend a lot of time in a zone, yet don't seem to remember anything, but one particular scenario they experienced and use as the basis of their opinion of what needs to be fixed.

Now to be fair, you may be catching part of a reaction triggered by the other hyperbolic Ker'rat hating posts in this thread, but the opening line of your post was a trigger. I just came from Ker'rat about 20 minutes ago and we (Feds) were doing the dominating. No spawncamping, just good battles. Oh... I had fun there, too.
    Instead of saying, "shut up noob", why don't you all provide your suggestions on how to improve Kerrat without relying on personal attacks and strawmen.

Gee... I can't do both? Wait... did I do both? I don't recall telling you to shut up... or calling you a noob... or attacking you personally... not sure about strawman, would that be anything like what you just did?

I'm pretty sure I gave my suggestions for improving the zone. Make it a little bigger and a single instanced zone... with multiple respawn points... and something else I can't recalll... maybe no respawning until the zone resets or you warp out and the zone resets... yeah, that's the ticket.
    But it's cool, I'll stop coming to Kerrat like everyone else and leave you all to your circle jerk.

Do or don't. It's your choice.
  • lostpinky101lostpinky101 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ker'rat is, as mentioned before, our fleets most loved part of this game.

As both a Fed and Klingon I take any new build to Ker'rat for shake down as it provides two of the most difficult opponents in this game...

1) Players
    2) Large Numbers of Borg

If there is a fed/kdf ball on the spawn point it is all the more fun to turn the tide against them, not matter how often I die because:

The more I fail and die, the more I learn how to build a better ship!!!!

Ker'rat is one of the best parts of this game and there should be more open pvp zones in Eta Eradani
    Founding Don
    - Ausmonauts
    - Imperial Ausmonauts
    ausmonautsportal.enjin.com
  • bradhadbradhad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A few things about most of these responses bothers me:

1) I am honestly confused at all the responses blaming Ker'rat's inaccessibility on the KDF. most of these posts make allusions to armadas of KDF ships de-cloaking and alpha'ing poor, defenceless outnumbered FEDs. This is simply not the case. I happen to spend a relatively large amount of time in Ker'rat and I can tel you honestly, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen KDF outnumber FED. The cloak is it's own issue, but honestly if you're happy to have one or more ROMs on 'your' (FED) side, i don't see how the same people can complain about KDF when ROMs can use most if not all of KDFs (once) unique mechanics, and actually be superior at said mechanics (I've never seen a B'rel re-cloak after 5 or so seconds)

2) this one is said constantly by people who understand what open pvp is, but I'll say it again anyway- slowly, so everyone can understand; Ker'rat. Is. For. Pvp... everyone get that? you (general you) need it repeating? no? good. it matters not how many missions there are in the zone or how much gear you can farm, Ker'rat's primary function is to provide a setting in which players can pvp without the constraints of arena. You don't get pvp'ers complaining they can't shoot folks outside of specific pvp zones (well, you probably do, but it'll never happen), so I find the complaining of people that they get blown up by others in one of the few places that can actually happen to be just a tad whiny

there's probably more stuff I'll thin of later to be irritated by, but I'm done for now.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    really?

unsupported zone to the point that dStahl said he wanted to NUKE the map, and now a random Blog entry about it?

i mean the most attention this map ever got was when there was that odd non-daily dilithium exploit... (and instead of fixing the AFK issue Cryptic slapped a daily timer on it)

*shakes head*

*waits for the Janitor to fix 3 more bugs next week while the game is broken to no end*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I just find it funny how two of the three most ignored aspects of STO is still seen as the boogey man and evil incarnate that is the root of all STO issues.
    Shall you blaim the KDF and PvP for global warming? The Economy? World Politics?

Kirk would hang himself with his own ripped shirt to see such fear of the two things he faced without flinching, Klingons and combat, in his beloved Star Fleet.

R.I.P
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    The fact you have to gloss over the rest of the zone's 'gameplay' to bring up the rewards in order to support your argument really shows just how irrelevant it truly is.

I'm not glossing over anything. I enjoy the gameplay. If you don't, then feel free to bow out.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
    edited November 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I'm not glossing over anything. I enjoy the gameplay. If you don't, then feel free to bow out.

You though...Kirk would give the ripped shirt off his back to you for the gusto and passion you display in the face of confict.

R.I.P
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    People are talking about rewards.. there are no point of grinding zones for elite drops these days because you can buy it all through rep and fleet stores.

I come to Ker'rat for the neverending (except for restarts) pewpew.

Damn, I've spent countless hours in one sitting fighting in Ker'rat.

I love the place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I appreciate the effort you put into writing the blog reg.

The fact that there is a guest blog now after release of S8 (you know the pvp season, with a pvp rep, new pvp tech, a space battle zone with pvp, .....), about kerrat (!) is the biggest trolling i have ever seen from Cryptic.

You couldn't have picked a better place to present the sorry state of pvp in STO during any point of its lifespan then this map.

Message received branflakes: its broken since release and will remain broken, it now has blog about it.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jrq2 wrote: »
    This is partially true, the reset of the map does separate both factions and the ships do warp into the new map at different point of their respective sides, however, when a ship is destroyed they tend to respawn in one location and that?s when the opposing side takes advantage of the situation.

Its usually the KDF side that takes advantage because its much easier for them to take control of the spawn site by dropping 4 or more Aceton Assimilator and any ship that tries to leave is bombarded with the feedback attack from the Assimilators plus the heavy power drain they get from the Assimilators (seeing as there is no cap to the maximum amount of power drain a group of them can drain)

Now that the ships are weakened and moving at a snail?s pace there will be the myriad of debuffs from Tyken?s Rift to Gravity wells to warp plasma and after that, the carnage begins with ship after ship blowing up and taking other ships out from their warp core explosions.

They could easily fix that by putting "self-replicating" turrets or mines around the respawn points so that campers have to keep fighting them to get in close enough to camp.

Or, put a nice big perimeter trigger around the respawn points that summons a small fleet of NPC's whenever an enemy crosses the line. The more enemies that cross the line, the more NPC's warp in to protect the point.

Wouldn't stop it, but would make camping more challenging and give respawning players a fighting chance.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    They could easily fix that by putting "self-replicating" turrets or mines around the respawn points so that campers have to keep fighting them to get in close enough to camp.

I was in a Cap'n'Hold not too long ago, where I respawned to find a single Aceton Assimilator being fed by about 8 phaser turrets. There was so much AoE coming off the assimilator that my fore shield was gone and I was losing hull by the time my HUD was back up.
    Or, put a nice big perimeter trigger around the respawn points that summons a small fleet of NPC's whenever an enemy crosses the line. The more enemies that cross the line, the more NPC's warp in to protect the point.

I was just thinking of getting some roaming NPC patrols on the map. Not just for the spawn points, but also for those area where players tend to lurk.
    Wouldn't stop it, but would make camping more challenging and give respawning players a fighting chance.

Adds a little more flavor to the zone. :)
    edited November 2013
    Captains,

Please keep the forum rules in mind as you reply to this thread.

You are allowed to express your opinions about the game and to agree or disagree.

You are NOT allowed to express your negative opinions of other forum users. You are not allowed to use insulting or offensive language.

And you should not reply to any post that violates forum rules, lest you fall into the trap of breaking the rules yourself.

Don't Reply, Report.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    edited November 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    I was in a Cap'n'Hold not too long ago, where I respawned to find a single Aceton Assimilator being fed by about 8 phaser turrets. There was so much AoE coming off the assimilator that my fore shield was gone and I was losing hull by the time my HUD was back up.

Good point. Automated defenses that pump things like assimilators wouldn't be the best solution.

Transphasic mines, though? Or even better, clusters of both transphasic mines and tractor beam mines that self-replicate (reset)?

And I just realized that infinitely spawning NPC's to defend the point has its' own issues. I like the idea, but spamming the map with NPC ships isn't good either.
    edited November 2013
    I find the idea that spawn camping is still possible in Kerrat amazing because when ever I play and respawn it I always come back in a different spot.

CnH's are different since they have a fixed respawn point.(also off topic)

R.I.P
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Good point. Automated defenses that pump things like assimilators wouldn't be the best solution.

Transphasic mines, though? Or even better, clusters of both transphasic mines and tractor beam mines that self-replicate (reset)?

And I just realized that infinitely spawning NPC's to defend the point has its' own issues. I like the idea, but spamming the map with NPC ships isn't good either.

Scramble sensors would be painful.....

R.I.P
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Scramble sensors would be painful.....
    But Oh. So. Funny. :D
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I find the idea that spawn camping is still possible in Kerrat amazing because when ever I play and respawn it I always come back in a different spot.

Maybe we should make a distinction between Spawn points and Respawn points. I can't speak to your experience, but I was in a respawncamped instance not more than two weeks ago.

I called in some support, but it wasn't enough. We tried warping out to return at the spawn point, which is in a different location, but couldn't get back into the same instance.

I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation. I don't have any real problems with Ker'rat except for the warprepeaters... and the fellow faction members, who ninja decrypt a node while you're trying to clear the npc's from around it. We should be able to target those players.
    edited November 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    But Oh. So. Funny. :D

true............

R.I.P
    edited November 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    Maybe we should make a distinction between Spawn points and Respawn points. I can't speak to your experience, but I was in a respawncamped instance not more than two weeks ago.

I called in some support, but it wasn't enough. We tried warping out to return at the spawn point, which is in a different location, but couldn't get back into the same instance.

I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation. I don't have any real problems with Ker'rat except for the warprepeaters... and the fellow faction members, who ninja decrypt a node while you're trying to clear the npc's from around it. We should be able to target those players.

No complaints taken. I just havnt experienced it when I hit Kerrat.
    Granted I have been solo and usually only one of two to three klinks in the zone, but I never respawned in the same place.

R.I.P