Install Arc

Faction #4: Who Could It Be?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Undine... that is all.
    I'd play it. :D

But I think we're more likely to get the Dominion.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Xindi would be cool, but with five (possibly six) unique species, I honestly can't see Cryptic pulling them off to satisfaction. They'd be ruined. Not to mention how do you play as an Xindi Aquatic or Avian? That would take some serious gameplay mechanic changes. I'd love to see an Xindi-arc story (could always throw a story out where the Sphere Builders are subjects of the Iconian; when the Iconian fall (they will) there Sphere Builders take over which leads to the Battle of Procyon V).

I would however favor the Xindi (the humanoid versions at least) being made available to existing factions. They'd need to be available to all factions though, not just the mighty Federation.

I looked back at the Xindi and realized they have both Mammalians and "Arboreals", which seems kind of odd since they seemed to be going with a "FARBIM" theme, i.e. Fish, Amphibian, Reptile, Bird, Insect, Mammal. Arboreal doesn't seem to fit and even with that theme, Amphibians seem to be an evolutionary hybrid of Reptiles and Fish. Maybe they just wanted to see a planet of Ape men?

Per your concerns re: the humanoids vs non-humanoids, they would likely make the Aquatics and Insectoids an enemy faction (as they were on Enterprise) and have Mammalians and Arboreals opposing them. The Reptilians would likely be the wild card that Rommies are to Fed and KDF. A faction of mini-factions? A second Xindi civil war? It could happen.

I wish the Suliban (and Acamarians) would join the Romulans though since they're squarely under their jurisdiction and the Rommies are very limited to Roms and Rems at the moment. Maybe they could do a Khitomer Accord-like diplomatic mission where they officially join them. Then we can get new Bridge Officers and costumes. A shape-shifting ability would be sweet (and probably work not unlike the ship holograms they have now). Bringing in the Suliban could also spark some more Temporal Cold War missions (and maybe new ships). Speculation is fun.

With the story bits about the New Link (Dominion) still lingering around unresolved and the you-know-what-from-4028 running around, its likely that will come back to spark the Cardies into becoming the new faction, particularly if something Iconian-related is also discovered in their space.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Per your concerns re: the humanoids vs non-humanoids, they would likely make the Aquatics and Insectoids an enemy faction (as they were on Enterprise) and have Mammalians and Arboreals opposing them. The Reptilians would likely be the wild card that Rommies are to Fed and KDF. A faction of mini-factions? A second Xindi civil war? It could happen.
    I should have been specific, when I said I'd like to see the humanoid Xindi, I meant the Insectoid too (cause they're near enough humanoid to work into the game). It's just the Aquatics and Avians we'd struggle with. I'm not really that interested in another Xindi War, not when we're already got so much going on within STO as it is.
    I wish the Suliban (and Acamarians) would join the Romulans though since they're squarely under their jurisdiction and the Rommies are very limited to Roms and Rems at the moment. Maybe they could do a Khitomer Accord-like diplomatic mission where they officially join them. Then we can get new Bridge Officers and costumes. A shape-shifting ability would be sweet (and probably work not unlike the ship holograms they have now). Bringing in the Suliban could also spark some more Temporal Cold War missions (and maybe new ships). Speculation is fun.
    Whilst I fully support the idea of Suliban and Acamarian on the Republic side, I wouldn't think these Suliban would be able to shapeshift. Remember, these abilities came to them from the future (via genetic tampering), and the Kabal (or whatever it was called) was destroyed. The Suliban we're likely (and should) get are likely those that are refugees. Archer met some of them, they weren't a bad bunch.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Huh? What are these 'hints of a new faction coming'? "Expansions" don't need to include another playable faction, they just to have enough new content and/or systems to justify the investment(an exploration expansion with as much care going into it as Legacy of Romulus, anyone?).

That said, the Iconian Gateway reactivation opens a lot of possibilities. I'd almost say the Voth would be a nice candidate, but their ships are already out in lockboxes and even a splinter group wouldn't really mesh well into the existing storylines/featured episodes. Cardies could probably be retconned in via the dominion story arc, but there's still the issue of the Galor.

Much to my chagrin, a liberated borg faction seems like the most plausible. There hasn't been a 'borg' lockbox, and it would be relatively easy to.. ahem.. assimilate such a faction into the Federation and Klingon Empire.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    I'd say lockboxed Galors aren't much of a problem. Game already has free ships with their paid versions released in cash store.

The only thing Cryptic would need to do is to keep free versions below lockbox ones, and that's not very difficult.

But many new ships would need to be done for Cardies. Galors and Keldons are basically sharing the same model, then there is Hideki, and nothing else.
  • warehouse67warehouse67 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No one mentioned Ferengi yet?. I'd love to be able to play as a merchant/trader type.
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Huh? What are these 'hints of a new faction coming'?

Al Rivera (among others) have hinted at a fourth playable faction for some time. Probably in the upcoming expansion due out next year.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's been more or less agreed upon since the "which faction should be next" poll forever ago that the next two faction would, in order, be Romulans and Cardassians, and we've checked off that first one. So most likely, Cardassians will be next, if they ever happen.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I welcome a Cardassian Faction, but a Full faction and not an alliance Faction like the Romulans.

I think there is still bad blood between Cardassians and the Klingons, so its unrealistic to place Cardie in the alliance roster.

Also the True Way is actually a joke, you think after what the Dominion did to Cardassia that they will be walking hand in hand. That area of sector space should be the Order trying to wipe out whats left of the Dominion forces in the Alpha quadrant.

I would be wanting my pound of flesh and then some. Cryptic really screwed up in that department.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A few colours are missing from the above rainbow... :P
    jexsamx wrote: »
    It's been more or less agreed upon since the "which faction should be next" poll forever ago that the next two faction would, in order, be Romulans and Cardassians, and we've checked off that first one. So most likely, Cardassians will be next, if they ever happen.
    If that's true, I'm not curious on what the results were for the 5th faction?
    stark2k wrote: »
    I welcome a Cardassian Faction, but a Full faction and not an alliance Faction like the Romulans.
    That wont be the case, I can pretty much assure you. They can't go and create a full faction in the Cardassians after they went mini with the Romulans. I wish they would (I'm with you) but I think I know they wont.
    I think there is still bad blood between Cardassians and the Klingons, so its unrealistic to place Cardie in the alliance roster.
    I'm sure there is bad blood, but then another poster in another Cardassian orientated thread some weeks/months ago presented a very reasonable explanation as to why the Cardassians might very well join with the Klingons.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to think that Cardassians will be the next faction.

Though are they too similar to the Romulans, once a power in the galaxy but now a shadow of their former selves. Both militaristic cultures with similar ethical outlook on slavery and assassination. Both split into two factions etc.

If though Cardassians weren't planned for the 4th faction it would seem likely they would have been added as a purchasable species. Even if only linked to the Romulans as displaced survivors looking for a fresh start. As they haven't been an option in the shop makes it seem likely they will be added as a faction if there is to be a four faction.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Also the True Way is actually a joke, you think after what the Dominion did to Cardassia that they will be walking hand in hand. That area of sector space should be the Order trying to wipe out whats left of the Dominion forces in the Alpha quadrant.

I would be wanting my pound of flesh and then some. Cryptic really screwed up in that department.

as painful as it is I can't see the cardassians getting the full faction treatment. they couldn't manage it for romulans so I wont be getting my hopes up ever again.

cardassians and Klingons bad blood?!?!? seriously that can't be an argument at all ..... just look at what they did to the romulans. despite having far more history of 'bad blood' with Klingons and federation. :eek:
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wouldnt mind the cardi/dominion back in as a 'monster play' mini faction like KDF used to be at launch ( greatly shortened playthrough experience, mostly focused repeatable PVE/PVP mission dailys )

ofc would prefer a 100% unique and fully implemented alt-faction : but the romulans didnt even get that in the end :P

Some of you seems to be wanting a full fed/kdf like faction , but seriously : its not going to happen, romulans have been and gone with that chance
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just can't see Cardassians ally with the Klingon Empire since they are already so close with the Federation. If it is just the Cardassians, then they are forced to ally with the Federation while another faction is forced to ally with the Klingon Empire. Also, it appears that the Klingons brutally treated the Cardassians after the Dominion War so it is unlikely the Cardassians and Klingons would be allies. The Cardassians would be limited to Cardassians and Liberated Borg Cardassians for race choices.

However, if it is a Dominion/Cardassian Alliance with Odo as the Dominion leader for their Alpha Quadrant forces and Garak as the Cardassian leader, then I can see us being able to choose our ally and get some more race choices.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I hope no more races are added for some time, the ones we allready got have plenty of room to develop new content.

But if Cryptic will add a new one, i hope its xindi reptiles, insectoids or arboreals.

And for sure i wouldnt want a cardi race, i cant stand them lol
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about we hold off on the new factions, and tie up some loose ends with new content first?
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013

*Cough!*Romulans!*Cough!*
    edited November 2013

That is avoided due to the fact that we play as the Romulan Republic which is a completely new government and not the Romulan Star Empire. We start off as colonists so most don't have any prior history of causing problems for the Federation or Klingons.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A random thought hit me, but if we absolutely have to get another faction, I'd love for them to use a damage type that the other factions do not(which is why I think Romulan Republic uses plasma instead of disruptors).

Cardassians use their spiral disruptors, so that would be another redundancy - likewise for the Borg using exclusively plasma weapons in this game.

So, that leaves Tetryon, Polaron, and Anti-Proton..

Polaron is kind of already knocked down by the already available ships for the Dominion and Breen(which still makes me cringe when I see it).

Tetryon.. is used by the Hirogen.. and maybe a few other minor races?

Anti-Protons are used by the Undine, Voth, and presumably Solanae/"Click-Clicks".
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Tetryon.. is used by the Hirogen.. and maybe a few other minor races?
    The Tholians.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Wait until they find out what Sisko did to their senator, geez, you'll think the whole Fed Alliance thing will still be solid.

That is if the records are ever opened, oops I forgot that Sisko deleted his log entry.

-- > It's a FAAAAAAAAAKE !!
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wait until they find out what Sisko did to their senator, geez, you'll think the whole Fed Alliance thing will still be solid.

That is if the records are ever opened, oops I forgot that Sisko deleted his log entry.

-- > It's a FAAAAAAAAAKE !!
    Enh... Vreenak was an Imperial Romulan. I'm not sure how much the Republic would care.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2013
    If there is to be a 4th faction, it will most likely be the Cardassians. I mean, really, they're the 4th most identifiable species after the various Federation species (Vulcan, Andorian, Human, etc), Klingons, and then Romulans.

The only problem I see is that the Cardassian government is more or less joined at the hip with the Federation. They're a protectorate of the Federation, and are ruled by a democratically-elected government that doesn't seem particularly interested in fighting. Trying to do the Romulan approach with Cardassians probably won't work.

It would be so much nicer to just have the True Way be the 'Klingon allied' Cardassians, because there's a possibility of a 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' alliance there. The problem with THAT is that Cryptic has, for whatever reason, decided it won't have players playing as 'bad guys', which the True Way basically are. That's also what's keeping them from using Borg, Undine, and whatever other random civilization people think of.

A good 2nd choice would be the Xindi, really. There's room to basically write a story out of whole cloth. Yes, they're supposedly members or allies of the Federation (judging from what's said in Enterprise), but things could be written to be different. Maybe some Xindi subsections side with KDF and some with Federation (Reptilians and Insectoids with KDF, Humanoids and Arboreals with Federation, with Aquatics being detached and not taking sides). I can see this working, if Cryptic decided to use the Xindi. It would certainly be more creative than using the Cardassians.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
    edited November 2013
    timezarg wrote: »
    If there is to be a 4th faction, it will most likely be the Cardassians. I mean, really, they're the 4th most identifiable species after the various Federation species (Vulcan, Andorian, Human, etc), Klingons, and then Romulans.

The only problem I see is that the Cardassian government is more or less joined at the hip with the Federation. They're a protectorate of the Federation, and are ruled by a democratically-elected government that doesn't seem particularly interested in fighting. Trying to do the Romulan approach with Cardassians probably won't work.

Which is why I have become an advocate of the Dominion/Cardassian Alliance with Odo being the leader of the Dominion Forces in the Alpha Quadrant and Garak being the leader of the Cardassians. It is true that the Cardassians are too far aligned with the Federation and have some resentment towards the Klingons, but adding the Dominion gives a reason for the Cardassians to be allied with the Klingons as well.

The Klingons want to make sure that the Dominion are not up to their old tricks and the Dominion want to control who uses the wormhole so they don't want to get unwelcome visitors. If they control who gets through, then they can prevent pests from bothering them like Ferengi Entrepreneurs. So providing some Dominion or Cardassian Captains to solve certain problems can help with improving relations.

Besides the Federation and Klingon Empire need all the help they can get with the Borg, Species 8472, and Iconians and the Iconians have shown that they are not bothering with the Dominion until the Alpha Quadrant is taken care of.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    That is avoided due to the fact that we play as the Romulan Republic which is a completely new government and not the Romulan Star Empire. We start off as colonists so most don't have any prior history of causing problems for the Federation or Klingons.

It ain't the same regime ruling Cardassia either. Dukat's long dead.

But my point is bad blood is now irrelevant since the Republic was able to prove that it's not like the TRIBBLE in the Star Empire. Have the new Cardassian Union government do the same and that bad blood is history too.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about a 'New Dominion' faction, playable races include:

Cardassian
    Jem'Hadar
    Vorta
    Breen
    Dosi
    Karemman
    Son'a
    Tarlac
    Ellora

Changelings would be involved in the storyline, but think it would be a mistake to make them playable. Maybe a BOFF/liason officer...

The storyline could involve Odo's ethics clashing with the female changeling's upon her return to the link. Her animosity after being held in detention could spread, and it could lead to a schism within the great link. Half of the changelings could come to the Alpha Quadrant as refugees (Odo being their defactor leader) and form a 'new Dominion' in alliance with the Cardassian homeworld. They could be set up similar to the Romulan faction, where your players has to choose an alliance with an existing regional power.

It could also lead into a story arc where the prophets become involved in this cold war against the Iconians somehow... this has many possibilities for new story arcs, such as the resurrection of the Pah Wraiths, and the return of Dukat and Sisko. (high hopes)
  • hosablarrhosablarr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The borgs, it would be fun to have the STF reversed for once, and i want a fleet tactical cube.
    edited November 2013
    It ain't the same regime ruling Cardassia either. Dukat's long dead.

But my point is bad blood is now irrelevant since the Republic was able to prove that it's not like the TRIBBLE in the Star Empire. Have the new Cardassian Union government do the same and that bad blood is history too.

Not quite the same. The Cardassian government is still the same government even though it is under new management. A new government is not formed every 4 years in the US. The Detapa Council was ruling before Dukat and it is ruling after Dukat.
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    How about a 'New Dominion' faction
    The problem I see (and it is an unfortunate one, for otherwise I can actually see many ways for a Dominion faction to work) is that for it to be accepted as a Dominion faction, it would have to have the Dominion ships at least - and that means Cryptic is faced with the same problem as with the Galor, except even worse (what with having one of their ships be a lockbox drop, one of their ships be a Lobi buy, and one of their ships be a limited-time drop from duty officer packs).
    azniadeet wrote: »
    The storyline could involve Odo's ethics clashing with the female changeling's upon her return to the link.
    Hm, I don't think that would work. One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Feature Episodes will be available for all factions - which wouldn't be possible if the starting event for a faction occurs after one. Since the Female Changeling's release is such an important part of the 2800 FE series, they can't really retcon it out.
    edited November 2013
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Hm, I don't think that would work. One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Feature Episodes will be available for all factions - which wouldn't be possible if the starting event for a faction occurs after one. Since the Female Changeling's release is such an important part of the 2800 FE series, they can't really retcon it out.

The whole concept of having a Dominion faction before the 2800 series makes no sense. The rewards from it can be added to the regular missions. Could do the first two episodes, but then we just bring out our Founder and the series ends prematurely.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Cryptic from preventing certain factions from doing certain missions. Also, Cryptic could just put all the Dominion/Cardassian lockbox ships available for free or in the C-Store. It makes sense for them to have those ships so there is no point in forcing Dominion players to open duty officer packs for a JHAS. Of course, if they get it, then they can sell it.