test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Faction #4: Who Could It Be?

Comments

• gatetravellergatetraveller Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What about the Mirak Hegemony, The Lyran Star Empire, or ther Hydran Imperium from the original Federation and Empire game? All three could be contenders. I would personally like to see the Lyrans, not because they are another feline race, but because of their cool looking ships. Also since none of these races have been seen outside of F&E, Crypic can basically create them from scratch and take them in new unique directions. Just an idea. :)
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What about the Mirak Hegemony, The Lyran Star Empire, or ther Hydran Imperium from the original Federation and Empire game? All three could be contenders. I would personally like to see the Lyrans, not because they are another feline race, but because of their cool looking ships. Also since none of these races have been seen outside of F&E, Crypic can basically create them from scratch and take them in new unique directions. Just an idea.
    Cryptic aren't able to get the license for them.

I believe the KDF Ferasan were suppose to be the Tzenkethi or Lyran, but because of license and copyright issues, it wouldn't work so they were repackaged and renamed Ferasan.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Cryptic aren't able to get the license for them.

I believe the KDF Ferasan were suppose to be the Tzenkethi or Lyran, but because of license and copyright issues, it wouldn't work so they were repackaged and renamed Ferasan.
    Hm? The story I've heard is that they were supposed to be the Kzinti, if it hadn't been for that nasty rights issue. I doubt the Tzenkethi were involved (they have absolutely no presence whatsoever in the SFU branch of Star Trek continuity, and of course were introduced first in a Star Trek live-action television series). I wouldn't be surprised if the Lyrans, Hydrans and Mirak are off-limits (or rather, part of a separate license which CBS might not want PWE to use anyway), but the Tzenkethi can't be part of the same category.

I must, at least, most strenuously object to gatetraveller's suggestion that the Lyrans, Hydrans and Mirak have only been seen in Federation and Empire. The first two are SFU-originals, and have in fact already shown up in video games (twice). The Mirak, to my knowledge, were introduced in a video game (as an expy of the Kzinti - complete with the SFU Kzinti/Lyran rivalry).
  • somedudezsomedudez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A liberated borg faction would be cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Hm? The story I've heard is that they were supposed to be the Kzinti, if it hadn't been for that nasty rights issue.

This is correct. Kzinti are originally from the works of Larry Niven that sort of had a "crossover" in the Star Trek animated series. As a result there's a rather tangled rights issue concerning them.

Thus, the Ferasans.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    somedudez wrote: »
    A liberated borg faction would be cool.

That would be another interesting perspective faction, but i just dont see that or a borg faction coming if at all.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hm? The story I've heard is that they were supposed to be the Kzinti, if it hadn't been for that nasty rights issue. I doubt the Tzenkethi were involved (they have absolutely no presence whatsoever in the SFU branch of Star Trek continuity, and of course were introduced first in a Star Trek live-action television series). I wouldn't be surprised if the Lyrans, Hydrans and Mirak are off-limits (or rather, part of a separate license which CBS might not want PWE to use anyway), but the Tzenkethi can't be part of the same category.
    I always get the Tzenkethi & Kzinti mixed up. You are correct however. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mosul33 wrote: »
    I hope no more races are added for some time, the ones we allready got have plenty of room to develop new content.

But if Cryptic will add a new one, i hope its xindi reptiles, insectoids or arboreals.

I would love for Xindi races and ships to be in game. I love the arboreals and reptilians the most.

Are Cardassian race could be cool. After getting the RR though it may feel like more of the same (A weakened empire allying with the leading superpowers) .

Liberated Borg could work easily.

Dominion is unlikely as Cryptic has said their will be no evil factions.

Undine faction would be very cool!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not likely as factions but I would love the Vaaduar to be in the game and that army of robots Be'lanna resurrects too.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When the Temporal Ambassador mission came out, if you played it as a Fed, you got Shon to help out; if you played it as a KDF, you got B'Vat.

Then, when the Romulans arrived, if you played it as a Romulan, you got Obisek.

However, you can ask five people for help at that point of the mission - including Rugen Skyl (Cardassian) and Farek (Ferengi).

It would be a bit of a stretch to deduce, from this, that someone is considering Cardassian and commercial/Ferengi as potential playable factions... but, hey, I'm prepared to stretch.

My personal preference would be for a Ferengi/commercial/mercenary faction. They don't care whose side they're on, so long as they get paid... they have an incentive to work against the kill-or-enslave-anything enemies like the Borg and the Iconians... they could have a different feel from the existing factions (and, really, it's hard to see how the Cardassians would stand out from the crowd, there; people are already annoyed about the Roms being too similar to the Federation).

In terms of mechanics, a commercial faction could be integrated with Fed/KDF fleets the same way the Roms are now, and it would make better sense - commercial operations seeking the protection of the military in a dangerous galaxy. Unlike the Roms, a commercial faction wouldn't want to build starbases of its own - those things are expensive!

Personally, I can see all sorts of possibilities that you just wouldn't get with the Cardassians or the Borg. But maybe I'm weird.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would love for Xindi races and ships to be in game. I love the arboreals and reptilians the most.

Are Cardassian race could be cool. After getting the RR though it may feel like more of the same (A weakened empire allying with the leading superpowers) .

Liberated Borg could work easily.

Dominion is unlikely as Cryptic has said their will be no evil factions.

Undine faction would be very cool!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not likely as factions but I would love the Vaaduar to be in the game and that army of robots Be'lanna resurrects too.

Undine are an evil faction.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • eternal0solsticeeternal0solstice Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Would it be possible to have the Dominion Alliance as a fourth race? Not only could we have Vorta and Jem'Hadar but there was a variety of races indigenous to the Gamma Quadrant could be featured as servants to the Dominion.
    "I was born under fire. I am a soldier from birth..."
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    When the Temporal Ambassador mission came out, if you played it as a Fed, you got Shon to help out; if you played it as a KDF, you got B'Vat.

Then, when the Romulans arrived, if you played it as a Romulan, you got Obisek.

However, you can ask five people for help at that point of the mission - including Rugen Skyl (Cardassian) and Farek (Ferengi).

It would be a bit of a stretch to deduce, from this, that someone is considering Cardassian and commercial/Ferengi as potential playable factions... but, hey, I'm prepared to stretch.

I'm glad someone else noticed this.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is correct. Kzinti are originally from the works of Larry Niven that sort of had a "crossover" in the Star Trek animated series. As a result there's a rather tangled rights issue concerning them.

Thus, the Ferasans.
    Yeah, Niven always has the final say in whether you can use them. And he declined to allow them to be used in STO.

If they add a new faction they could rewrite Temporal Ambassador. Maybe have Eraun as a sixth contact?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, Niven always has the final say in whether you can use them. And he declined to allow them to be used in STO.

If they add a new faction they could rewrite Temporal Ambassador. Maybe have Eraun as a sixth contact?

The playable Cardassian and Dominion factions seems to be combined as far as a lot of people are concerned. This is probably due to the fact that the True Way use Cardassians and Dominion forces. So they could just use the Cardassian contact for such a faction. However, you are right that they could keep on adding people to the Temporal Ambassador mission.
    edited November 2013

The problem I would see with Eraun is that the Dominion is the sort of state that would react to gross failures by executing and then not cloning a Vorta (rather than, say, exiling him to Tholian service) - and Temporal Ambassador involves the Dominion winning that timeline's version of the Dominion War, so what the Dominion thinks is very important to what happens.
    edited November 2013
    The problem I would see with Eraun is that the Dominion is the sort of state that would react to gross failures by executing and then not cloning a Vorta (rather than, say, exiling him to Tholian service) - and Temporal Ambassador involves the Dominion winning that timeline's version of the Dominion War, so what the Dominion thinks is very important to what happens.
    why would he need to be exiled? Maybe the Tholians captured him?

But yeah, things went very differently in that timeline. they didn't really explain the current status of the Dominion in that time, just that the KDF and Feds were toast. Maybe the Dominion was now embroiled in a war with the Tholians?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    why would he need to be exiled? Maybe the Tholians captured him?

But yeah, things went very differently in that timeline. they didn't really explain the current status of the Dominion in that time, just that the KDF and Feds were toast. Maybe the Dominion was now embroiled in a war with the Tholians?
    Considering how freely they talk about how the Dominion won the Dominion War-analogue and *let* the Tholians expand, it seems... unlikely that none of the characters would mention an ongoing war with the Dominion if one was occurring. And even assuming that one is ongoing, and that the Tholians captured him, well, that's one reason for the termination implant. Better this incarnation doesn't have to serve the Tholians when the Founders will produce a new incarnation soon enough.
    edited November 2013
    Considering how freely they talk about how the Dominion won the Dominion War-analogue and *let* the Tholians expand, it seems... unlikely that none of the characters would mention an ongoing war with the Dominion if one was occurring. And even assuming that one is ongoing, and that the Tholians captured him, well, that's one reason for the termination implant. Better this incarnation doesn't have to serve the Tholians when the Founders will produce a new incarnation soon enough.
    I'm guessing those things aren't foolproof. Also, AFAIK, they can't be remotely activated.

But after pondering it some more.... what reason would a member of the Dominion have to want to UNDO that timeline? that is probably the question that needs answered most.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I will say that the most logical choice and what has been created in a variety of ways is that of a Dominion, Cardassian, Vorta and Breen Alignment. It make sense and Cadassian territory is so under utilized, if iam not mistaken the Dominion took a home-world within Cardassian space, administered by Alpha Quadrant Dominion/Vorta, an entirely different clan separate from that of the Beta Quadrant Dominion. Heck, they could even be non-reliant on that of the white. Also, they are a warrior race much like that of the Klingons, while the Klingons have a society, the Dominon were created, not born nor did they have a society so that kind of places an entire twist on how things would come about.
    edited November 2013
    I'm guessing those things aren't foolproof. Also, AFAIK, they can't be remotely activated.

But after pondering it some more.... what reason would a member of the Dominion have to want to UNDO that timeline? that is probably the question that needs answered most.
    I was actually referring from the perspective of the Vorta - it's one thing to fall into the hands of the Federation, another to fall into Tholian service (or perhaps slavery is a better term). We know a Vorta can activate their own termination implant, after all.

As to the second issue... that's another problem. With the Romulans, it was easy - leaving out the part where Romulus got blown up in the 'true' timeline (and there wasn't anyone there that would know that until the very end of the mission, since the character only has a vague sense of wrongness and deja vu even if the player knows exactly how things 'should be' and the only one from the true timeline was from well before 2387, so it wasn't even a case of deception), all indications would be that the original timeline would be better for Romulans and Remans. I suppose one could argue that a member of the Dominion would be convinced the Dominion would still win, and correcting the timeline would allow it to happen the right way, but that's the kind of thing that would need explicit mention in the course of the mission.
    edited November 2013
    I was actually referring from the perspective of the Vorta - it's one thing to fall into the hands of the Federation, another to fall into Tholian service (or perhaps slavery is a better term). We know a Vorta can activate their own termination implant, after all.

As to the second issue... that's another problem. With the Romulans, it was easy - leaving out the part where Romulus got blown up in the 'true' timeline (and there wasn't anyone there that would know that until the very end of the mission, since the character only has a vague sense of wrongness and deja vu even if the player knows exactly how things 'should be' and the only one from the true timeline was from well before 2387, so it wasn't even a case of deception), all indications would be that the original timeline would be better for Romulans and Remans. I suppose one could argue that a member of the Dominion would be convinced the Dominion would still win, and correcting the timeline would allow it to happen the right way, but that's the kind of thing that would need explicit mention in the course of the mission.
    Hmm... Maybe in that timeline the disease that was killing the Founders never got cured? Perhaps in that timeline the "gods" of the Dominion are all but gone, and the Dominion is just shambling on without them?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    Hmm... Maybe in that timeline the disease that was killing the Founders never got cured? Perhaps in that timeline the "gods" of the Dominion are all but gone, and the Dominion is just shambling on without them?
    That disease originated from the Federation. I suppose it is possible that Section 31 managed to survive the Federation's loss in the Klingon War and somehow was in a position to infect Odo with it despite the changes...
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Faction #4: Who Could It Be?

Cryptic are gonna pull a fast one and make it the Kazon.

You will all yell and complain and play the content until it's exhausted anyway.
    <3
    edited November 2013
    That disease originated from the Federation. I suppose it is possible that Section 31 managed to survive the Federation's loss in the Klingon War and somehow was in a position to infect Odo with it despite the changes...
    Well, all we really know about the war is that the Federation is slowly losing ground to the Klingons. We don't know how long it would take the Klingons to win their war against the Federation. All we really know is that when contact with the Dominion was made it was disastrous, and the Dominion had no meaningful resistance.
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Cryptic are gonna pull a fast one and make it the Kazon.

You will all yell and complain and play the content until it's exhausted anyway.
    Why would I complain about that? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The three most iconic species in Trek lore are now represented (even if the Romulans are less than they once were). With numerous hints to another new faction forthcoming, who could it be?

After Season Turok rewrote my beliefs and expectations regarding what they'll give us and call "good," I think the next faction could be a species of creatures that evolved from Pee Wee Herman. They live on a planet-sized version of Pee Wee's Playhouse. ;)

No really, how is his talking easy chair any worse than a Tyrannosaurus with frikkin laser beams on its head? :rolleyes:
    edited November 2013
    Well, all we really know about the war is that the Federation is slowly losing ground to the Klingons. We don't know how long it would take the Klingons to win their war against the Federation. All we really know is that when contact with the Dominion was made it was disastrous, and the Dominion had no meaningful resistance.
    Actually, we do know more than that. For instance, Franklin Drake talks about the Federation falling to the Klingons (he actually mentions it in the context of where he was born), and then mentions the Dominion invading as something that happened later (and he does indicate that meaningful resistance occurred. It just wasn't enough). Granted, T'Nae indicates that the Federation was able to set up resistance groups that did have significant successes against the Klingons (but not the Dominion).
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ferengi faction!

You are a young, enterprising Ferengi living in a hamlet, tiring of having to see your naked Ferengi grandmothers saggy **** every day, longing for something more. To travel the stars. Sell unsuspecting people into slavery. To score the biggest sale and turn the biggest profit anyone has ever seen! And also costumes for your female boffs could be nothing.

Make it so!
    edited November 2013
    Actually, we do know more than that. For instance, Franklin Drake talks about the Federation falling to the Klingons (he actually mentions it in the context of where he was born), and then mentions the Dominion invading as something that happened later (and he does indicate that meaningful resistance occurred. It just wasn't enough). Granted, T'Nae indicates that the Federation was able to set up resistance groups that did have significant successes against the Klingons (but not the Dominion).
    Hmm... maybe in this universe the KDF created the virus?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cardassians or Dominion seem most attractive, but others have raised good challenges to expanding them. Perhaps we'd see something from the Delta Quadrant now that we're there - the Vidiians perhaps? I doubt it'd be the Kazon.
  • sakaratchsakaratch Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    do you want to be more stronger? click here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]