test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Linux and Sto.....

I know this topic has popped up in the past but has gone in and out with mixed blessings.
I'm writing this as one of the few who play sto on Linux. its simple to do but it takes a bit of tweaking in end. Just depends on your system and setup. The key is to use a 32 bit version if you have a 64 bit version of the OS. This is usually achieved by using a program called play on linux. Below i'm listing a hyper link and a image i'm posting on what happened after i installed and setup the game after i followed the tutorial here.

Tutorial:
http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/star-trek-online-guide.242/

And my image: Ubuntu latest edition. 64 bit with 32 bit wine. :eek:
http://i.imgur.com/g13ppIE.jpg

Please leave your feedback and what not. Also remeber your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Goddess :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the things we've done to get the Mac version of the game working was to rewrite a large part of our launcher using Chrome Embedded Framework, which had the side effect of removing our dependency on Internet Explorer in the Windows version.

If you get the launcher from the other thread directly ( http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501 ) you can probably skip all the IE installation stuff.

In fact I tested, yesterday, a fresh build of WINE from Git (1.7.5-229) with a fresh (32-bit) install of Debian Sid, and starting with just the bare launcher (no ARC), and the game ran pretty well right out of the "box" without any extra configuration. A lot of things that are currently broken on Mac even worked great under WINE. :P

If you do run the game with WINE directly, I recommend using "-enablerawinputsupport 0" on the command line and setting in your environment with "WINEDEBUG=-all" (otherwise it just spews out debug information continuously and actually causes some framerate issues).

The only big issues I've encountered so far is that the framerate isn't as great as I'd like, and the first time it starts up, there is a LONG delay where it compiles a bunch of shaders the first time, where it doesn't normally have to in common Windows configurations.

Our error tracking system is actually set up to report users running WINE in a crash so we can tackle WINE-specific issues, too. So let that error reporting system do its magic if something goes horribly wrong.

Good luck!
  • Options
    captaincreoscaptaincreos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the things we've done to get the Mac version of the game working was to rewrite a large part of our launcher using Chrome Embedded Framework, which had the side effect of removing our dependency on Internet Explorer in the Windows version.

If you get the launcher from the other thread directly ( http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501 ) you can probably skip all the IE installation stuff.

In fact I tested, yesterday, a fresh build of WINE from Git (1.7.5-229) with a fresh (32-bit) install of Debian Sid, and starting with just the bare launcher (no ARC), and the game ran pretty well right out of the "box" without any extra configuration. A lot of things that are currently broken on Mac even worked great under WINE. :P

If you do run the game with WINE directly, I recommend using "-enablerawinputsupport 0" on the command line and setting in your environment with "WINEDEBUG=-all" (otherwise it just spews out debug information continuously and actually causes some framerate issues).

The only big issues I've encountered so far is that the framerate isn't as great as I'd like, and the first time it starts up, there is a LONG delay where it compiles a bunch of shaders the first time, where it doesn't normally have to in common Windows configurations.

Our error tracking system is actually set up to report users running WINE in a crash so we can tackle WINE-specific issues, too. So let that error reporting system do its magic if something goes horribly wrong.

Good luck!

does this mean we are moving in the general direction of a linux native client? i know not yet or anytime soon however it sounds like its getting easier for linux user than before.

Would love a full linux port. moving away from IE is a big step. hopefully the lessons learned in the mac client can help lead to a full linux client soon. :)
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Using the Chrome frameworks is awesome, means that we may see an iPad or Android version one of these day...if the tablets become powerful enough :D
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Another thing to note for WINE users concerning the shader loading...

Because none (or few?) of the WINE configurations are recognized in our big list of configurations to precompile shaders for, the first-time load delay is really huge, and there are also cases when running the game where you get nasty hiccups and stalls as new materials and objects appear on the screen and it has to compile a new shader. This can be caused simply by panning the camera around.

Generally this only has to happen once for each shader, and then it gets stuck in a big cache of built shaders, where they'll load much faster after that.

TL;DR: Under WINE, the more you play, the better it runs.
  • Options
    goddessoflifegoddessoflife Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To cliff,

Sorry for the late reply everyone. It does run faster the longer you use it. but as cliff pointed out the mileage will vary "depending on your system" minimum for sto in windows will need to be a bit higher to run it in Linux decently and you will have to put things like shadows to low or off / post processing off if you don't have the most robust graphic card. The main thing is this its alternative to a good game and company.The reason i used the arc preview is so people wont be scared. The steam install takes a bit more add-on's cause of its use on game integration. And as to the shaders we have to remember wine & its other equivalents are behind a bit compared to the windows counter parts. just remember that its also progressing faster that it did 10-13 years ago. :) So who knows?
  • Options
    pwemetaqpwemetaq Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I mentioned this in the tribble forums. But now - after updating to Season 8 - I have the problem on holodeck: I start the launcher. Launcher starts the game client. After that the only thing I'm seeing is the wine desktop. Although the client is running due to the system monitor.
    ... If you do run the game with WINE directly, I recommend using "-enablerawinputsupport 0" on the command line ...

I've already done so with Season 7. And it worked great - until now.
    ...The only big issues I've encountered so far is ... the first time it starts up, there is a LONG delay where it compiles a bunch of shaders the first time, where it doesn't normally have to in common Windows configurations...

Yep, first time always was the long run 'til start. But I wonder if that's the problem this time 'cause the client now runs for over an hour without getting to the first loading screen.

Maybe it's the graphic preferences? This time after patching I did not get the window where I was asked whether I want to run the game in minimum or default settings. Does anybody know which files I have to edit to change those without starting the game?
    ...Good luck!

:)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    pwemetaq wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the tribble forums. But now - after updating to Season 8 - I have the problem on holodeck: I start the launcher. Launcher starts the game client. After that the only thing I'm seeing is the wine desktop. Although the client is running due to the system monitor.

The file to edit would be your localdata/gameprefs.pref file.

What version of WINE are you using?

Try adding "-console 1" to the command line parameters for the game client inside the launcher. It's in the options inside the launcher. It should pop up an extra console window with some status about the loading. (It should at least get that far.)

Then let me see what the last text in the extra console is by the time it gets stuck.

If you're using DOH's Wineskin wrapper, I'm not sure how much help I can be. I've been testing with very recent builds straight from the WINE source.
  • Options
    ziktofelziktofel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Guys, I have problems with standard shortcut keys in WINE>1.5.5

The problem is described here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32999
    It still persists.

wine --version
    wine-1.7.4

full launch command
    WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~/STO-test/ optirun -b primus wine ./STO-test/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/STO/Star\ Trek\ Online.exe
    (used a new wineprefix)

tried both with and without -enablerawinputsupport 0 argument

This bug doesn't happen with wine <=1.5.5 which I run by PlayOnLinux (any newer version of wine causes this bug)

This bug also happens on my second machine with different hw

screenshot with bug: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8695/52k2.png
    screenshot without bug (wine 1.5.5): http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4654/cndr.png

(the stadard shortcut keys are set to default at both of screenshots)
    An another game where I use those same keys isn't affected by this bug
  • Options
    pwemetaqpwemetaq Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wow, thank you very much for your answer!
    The file to edit would be your localdata/gameprefs.pref file...

So I made the right guess. I copied this file from the holodeck folder to the tribble folder. This means it wasn't the preferences.
    What version of WINE are you using?

I'm using Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 11.4 - a bit outdated, I know but until now very stable - no problems no crashes.
    Try adding "-console 1" to the command line parameters ...

I tried, unfortunately no console window popped up - there was a very short black 'flash' nothing else. I'll try to get some Wine log files. (But I first have to figure out how. Although I'm using Linux I'm not much of a computer nerd :) )
    If you're using DOH's Wineskin wrapper, ...

No, just Wine (+Winetricks, + IE8) and the game client I installed back in 2010 from my Collectors Edition CD. I'm playing since Headstart. Again, it all worked very well until Season 8.

I've done some research. Long story short: My system IS outdated. Can't update to Wine 1.6 because this version needs Unity and my system still works with Gnome.
    Wine 1.5 - the last one I could use - doesn't support STO very well.
    Next Ubuntu LTS version is 14.4 which comes out in April 2014.
    This means, I will have to reanimate my old WinPC - well, for 5 months ;). BTW old WinPC, STO won't run with Win95? (just joking!)
  • Options
    chahk42chahk42 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wow... I am finally ready to dump my Win7 partition.

STO runs almost perfectly on my Asus G73sw under Ubuntu 13.10 64bit with Wine 1.7.6 32bit, via PlayWithLinux. Thanks for the tutorial link!
  • Options
    gavriil1983gavriil1983 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know this topic has popped up in the past but has gone in and out with mixed blessings.
    I'm writing this as one of the few who play sto on Linux. its simple to do but it takes a bit of tweaking in end. Just depends on your system and setup. The key is to use a 32 bit version if you have a 64 bit version of the OS. This is usually achieved by using a program called play on linux. Below i'm listing a hyper link and a image i'm posting on what happened after i installed and setup the game after i followed the tutorial here.

Tutorial:
    http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/star-trek-online-guide.242/

And my image: Ubuntu latest edition. 64 bit with 32 bit wine. :eek:
    http://i.imgur.com/g13ppIE.jpg

Please leave your feedback and what not. Also remeber your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
    Goddess :D

this was a lifesaver. I've now ditched windows (which I had only because of STO) in favor of linux mint 15.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm having a weird problem where the game's FPS starts to degrade the longer I play. After about 15 minutes it starts to stutter, and in 5 more minutes the game is unplayable. Exiting out and re-starting the PlayOnLinux session fixes it... for the next 15 minutes.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?
  • Options
    goddessoflifegoddessoflife Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    chahk42 wrote: »
    I'm having a weird problem where the game's FPS starts to degrade the longer I play. After about 15 minutes it starts to stutter, and in 5 more minutes the game is unplayable. Exiting out and re-starting the PlayOnLinux session fixes it... for the next 15 minutes.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Sorry for not replying been out of us on business with family. As i mention chahk42 your mileage may very. it all depends on your hardware what you have running in background like in windows even your version of wine you picked. The guide is straight forward. to tune the fps or the lag issue its common even in windows. its to due with the setting you may have to lower things like shadows or go without anti aliasing. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Sorry for not replying been out of us on business with family. As i mention chahk42 your mileage may very. it all depends on your hardware what you have running in background like in windows even your version of wine you picked. The guide is straight forward. to tune the fps or the lag issue its common even in windows. its to due with the setting you may have to lower things like shadows or go without anti aliasing. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Appreciate the tips. I'll keep trying to tune both the laptop and in-game settings and will update with my findings.
  • Options
    dashripkindashripkin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would just like to add that I would love to see a native Linux client. I would love it enough to do something extreme, like, I don't know, maybe purchase a lifetime subscription? Please?
    i haeve teh fancay signaetures!!!!!!!1 i am teh l33t usar!!!!!!1
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pwemetaq wrote: »

I had this too. I was previously running the client windowed due to alt-tab issues under Linux, but changing PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen to 1 in the gameprefs file fixed the screen not coming up. The alt-tab issues are gone as well in this version of the client.

Hopefully that'll help on newer versions of WINE too, as I'm running an older winetrick-ed out version.
  • Options
    dandeloreondandeloreon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    does this mean we are moving in the general direction of a linux native client? i know not yet or anytime soon however it sounds like its getting easier for linux user than before.

Would love a full linux port. moving away from IE is a big step. hopefully the lessons learned in the mac client can help lead to a full linux client soon. :)

This is great to know, and personally I would love to try a full linux client. The lack of a linux native version actually keeps me from playing the game frequently since I don't want to bother rebooting the system into windows to try to run the game.

Anyways I would like to suggest that when porting to linux that it would be a good idea to at least first start off by checking against the Mesa drivers on an intel gpu ( for example, the Intel HD3000 gpu ) on linux. This is to prevent problems for a lot of users since most of the time the Mesa driver is installed by default.
  • Options
    vnixnedvnixned Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    is there any info on how to get this running with the newest Ubuntu (version 14.04)? A friend of mine realy wants to play STO also but uses this newest version and would like to take advantage of the remaining ime on the XP-weekend