test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

lifetime sub open lockbox for free

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
edited November 2013 in C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
I'm sure there many other threads that have already done this but I really think that Cryptic should let lifetime subcribers like myself should open the lockbox for free if DC UNIVERSE ONLINE can open lockbox for free then why not STO I really don't want to gkeep wasting my money zen so that I can get a key. I want to be able to buy other stuff like service items, ships and dill for the fleet and reputation system
Post edited by jim625 on

Comments

• Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic IS NOT (repeat: IS NOT) going to let someone who paid $300 or less for a lifetime subscription get unlimited free lockbox opens. Lockboxes are cash cow for them.

Someone like you would just keep opening boxes, and then sell them on exchange for EC. That would be the end of the game, more or less. Everyone flying around in Jem'Hadar fighters...boring.

I'm surprised this question was even posted.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Another lifer looking for more free stuff that is no surprise. The already entitled feels the need for more entitlement at the cost of money to Cryptic. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jim625 wrote: »
    I'm sure there many other threads that have already done this but I really think that Cryptic should let lifetime subcribers like myself should open the lockbox for free if DC UNIVERSE ONLINE can open lockbox for free then why not STO I really don't want to gkeep wasting my money zen so that I can get a key. I want to be able to buy other stuff like service items, ships and dill for the fleet and reputation system

People pay for that in DCUO. There are barely any lifetimers there. They can't slap $300 down anymore and call it a day. They are still making money off those boxes from subscribers. Not to mention the DCUO lockboxes spawn very little.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    zigadeiczigadeic Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Well if cryptic let us lifetime subs open boxes for free this game would start hemroging money and ultimately bleed out becoming a shallow husk of what it once was we get enough cool stuff as is not to mention fleet variants of the LTS ships come the next season just because something works for one game does not mean that it will for another :P
    tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lifer's get a monthly zen stipend.

If you want to open lock boxes "for free" the option is available.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    DCUO allows lifetime subscribers to open their lotto boxes for free. If STO had that, I would actually consider buying a lifetime sub just for that reason.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To do something like DCUO, then it is required to reduce the drop rate of lockboxes and make lockboxes and items from lockboxes bind on pickup. Also, it would also be impossible to purchase lockboxes through the dilithium store. This is to prevent players from opening up their friend's lockboxes and giving them the loot. Such a change without serious restrictions would ruin the economy as far as lockbox items are concerned. Could get lockbox ships for less than a million energy credits and everyone would have at least one lockbox ship.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'll take your suggestion, and raise you one (better):

Provide Lifetimers with a monthly "Boost" which are automatically awarded on the 1st of each month. These boots would be either Commendation XP boost, Skill Point boost, pack of lockbox keys (10 sounds reasonable) etc.

Provide Gold players (monthly subs) with similar boosts, but less quantity (5 keys instead).

This would be a similar approach to how games like TERA handle their subscription "perks". These perks expire when your subscription ends. Lifetimers would always have these perks.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They could always just make some sort of skeleton lockbox key that opens 5 boxes a month or something like that the next vet reward.
  • Options
    zigadeiczigadeic Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    that could work would be good incentive to do LTS
    tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How about an allowance of bound to account lockbox keys?

Say 5 keys a week or something

That way lifetimers can have free lockboxes, and cryptic doesn't go down the toilet
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As has already been pointed out, lifers get a monthly zen stipend. Zen>keys>open lock boxes.

I'd like free booze and TRIBBLE women, should they provide that also?
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited October 2013
    yep that propasal does come off sounding a bit greedy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well this is interesting. A combination entitlement thread and "why can't sto be more like (insert other game here)?" thread. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Pass....

Lockboxes are a good source of revenue for Cryptic... which has helped, or allowed, them to create new stuffs (LoR, upcoming Dino's with Freaking Laser Beams). This would be a HORRIBLE business decision... I'd seriously question someones sanity.

I'm a lifer, and let me tell you... It has more than paid for itself. Several times over...

Just because we have a lifetime subscription doesn't entitle us to free everything. We paid a bulk amount, and are awarded with free stuff ... a monthly stipend... better login queues, and on and on...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    trekkerchicktrekkerchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We get 500z a month for free as LTS. Buy some damned keys with it.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have to agree that keys should not be free. It is too easy to get them anyways, first stipend, second from the exchange, and third from dilithium. Keys are pretty cheap.

Now I would like to see keys that cost say 20-35% more that gave a substantial higher likelihood of the best drops. I would be willing to part with more zen for a much better chance to get something super shiny.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013

First of all DCUO has a drop limitation if you manage to get 1 box per day then you are made of luck unlike STO where they drop like candy and even given away in stacks of 20 for few dilithium.

Seondly, there is nothing worth hundreds of millions inside the DCUO boxes.

and last but not least, everthing inside the DCUO lockboxes that has even the slightest use is BoP.
  • Options
    geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm a lifer and agree this would destroy the in game economy veryy quickly.

What I WOULD like to see tho is at least some kind of failsafe, like the game could keep track of how many lockboxes you open and after a few hundred or something should be guaranteed to get at least ONE stinkin prize ship. I have opened hundreds upon hundredss over the last several years of playing this, and have NEVER gotten a prize ship except for some worthless mirror ones, NOT ONE, and then I hear about people getting the grand prize ship on their very first box, or see the messages on screen of people getting several right in a row, that is completely unfair. If it wasn't for Lobi I would NEVER open another box
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    I'll take your suggestion, and raise you one (better):

Provide Lifetimers with a monthly "Boost" which are automatically awarded on the 1st of each month. These boots would be either Commendation XP boost, Skill Point boost, pack of lockbox keys (10 sounds reasonable) etc.

Provide Gold players (monthly subs) with similar boosts, but less quantity (5 keys instead).

This would be a similar approach to how games like TERA handle their subscription "perks". These perks expire when your subscription ends. Lifetimers would always have these perks.

Thoughts?

More reasonable. This might have some chance of being implemented.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2013
    geekguy79 wrote: »
    I'm a lifer and agree this would destroy the in game economy veryy quickly.

What I WOULD like to see tho is at least some kind of failsafe, like the game could keep track of how many lockboxes you open and after a few hundred or something should be guaranteed to get at least ONE stinkin prize ship. I have opened hundreds upon hundredss over the last several years of playing this, and have NEVER gotten a prize ship except for some worthless mirror ones, NOT ONE, and then I hear about people getting the grand prize ship on their very first box, or see the messages on screen of people getting several right in a row, that is completely unfair. If it wasn't for Lobi I would NEVER open another box

Well you could just sell the keys or doff packs and buy the ship off the exchange that is a fail safe in aways if you must have the lock box ship. I can understand the frustration, everyone must decide their own limit typically I'll open 20+ of a new lock box just for kicks then buy what I like off the exchange from box drops in a couple of days after the newness wears off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    or a monthly subscriber box.

each month you can claim one of the BoP boxes.

Each box rewards twice the prizes of a standard lock box, and the odds are twice as good.

these boxes pull from the loot tables of all lockboxes.

you can only open 1 every 15 days. and are only given one a month.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As another lifetime member of this game, I do not support your suggestion.

Zen purchases to open lock boxes is what is supporting this game. There are people that spend a few hundred to a thousand a month in this game to open lock boxes. BEFORE anyone says " What a waste of money on pixels". This is a game, and anyone can spend their money on what they choose.

I listed below what I got when I purchased my lifetime sub, no more, no less.

I honestly believe this has been popping up as of late due to the crunch of the free flowing EC in the game. (For some people). Prices on some items are higher then they used to be, but still the same number are available.

I see people selling Fleet Marks, dilithium even access to lobi and fleets.

If you are having an EC problem and your first thought is to post "I want this free" then playing the game, to me it suggests you are not playing the game right.

I bought my lifetime sub when it was for sale. The following is what I paid for:

No subscription fee: Play without a monthly fee forever!
    The Liberated Borg character species: Play as an escaped member of the Hivemind.
    The Captain's Table - A special area restricted to lifetime subscribers and longtime STO veterans.
    Exclusive costume option - An insignia available only to lifetime subscribers. Just visit a tailor in-game to add it to your current captain.
    "Career Officer" title - Show off that you're committed to Starfleet, the KDF, or the Romulan Republic for the duration.
    Forum goodies - Change the color of your username and show off a special title.
    (NEW!) Instant access to all Veteran Rewards!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    More, MORE, GIVE ME MOOOOOOREEE.

Why does this continue?
    Lifer myself. I cannot see any point to why we should get more. You bought a subscription with the perks that followed. Why is that, not enough for you now?

Stop asking for more free items, and especially those items that are Cash Cows for Cryptic/PWE. Lifer... you bought it with the perks. Play with those perks... Then see if they are willing to add to that on their own accord.
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Speaking as a lifer, I don't think letting us open all lockboxes free is a good idea. Too easy to exploit.

I would like to see something like maybe a discount on the keys, but the monthly stipend pretty much amounts to this anyway.

The "skeleton key" idea intrigues me, though. A permanent item that would unlock one lockbox, then go on a 30 day cooldown, or something like that, could be a nice perk.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Besides, you actually can open Lock Boxes for free, just like you can get zen for free. You just have to play the game for a bit beforehand.

I like the idea of maybe being able to open one every day though, maybe as a 1000 day reward?
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    heres a more balanced idea: the stipend (you already get) plus a 5 key pack each month.

Lifers get a freeby over top of what gold (monthlys) get for your loyalty.. I am gold over 759 days (.67) so I didnt get my last stipend.. just havent had the extra cash for a LTS for sad.. I also think that you vet reward marker (100/200/300 day etc) should = a % off the standard LTS sub (100 day = 10%) so someone like me who has sunk more than an LTS in cash could maybe get LTS cheap later (Ive paid about $375.00 in subs alone.. so why cant I get a break on something that would have cost less if I had it in bulk??)

so for me at a 700 day vet (70% discount) = LTS @ $90.00 Im still getting robbed but I could at least possibly afford it or maybe have more reason to push to 800 day and pay the balance...
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And free healthcare!
  • Options
    snyper1228snyper1228 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i like some of these ideas but how about just make the captains table useful. maybe give special missions or something.