A Space Adventure Zone with PVP

2»

Comments

• Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ammonitida wrote: »
    Why the hell not?

Because cloak and moreso battlecloak would make it an empty avoided by 99% of the playerbase.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is very true.

I guarantee it won't. It might spike for a few days if it was something they hyped, but after that it wouldn't be any better than it is now.

And we have Persistent PvP worlds since Day 1, called the War Zones. People still hate them because it's too easy for gankers, than people actually competing against one another.

And adding better rewards doesn't work. Over the years when they added Marks of Honor and Emblems, it just increased the number of AFKers who just laid over and died without a fight, just to get the match over.

No offense, but STO's PVP has been beyond the point of no return even before F2P. The amount of work they have to do to get it revitalized would mean a literal season in having to rebalance, do psychological observation to encourage PvErs to try PvP, and do it at a level that is simple to understand to get them to learn the techniques. And creation of maps that are interesting.

All of these were posted in the PvP forum over the years and ignored. So it's better to keep as is or put it out of it's misery.

Just based on what boot camp has achieved in terms of bringing new players in, and what hilberts tool has achieved in terms of breathing life into the game for vets. I have to disagree.

I don't want to post another novel on what prevents players from PvP, and sure many will never enjoy it, and thats ok. But the idea that pvP is doomed to player's neglect because STO players can and will never like it is complete BS.

Player initiatives have and continue to show that. And while the vocal minority disagrees on many finer details, the broad strokes of better documentation, smarter PvE, better matchmaking, some form of persistent influence (could be leaderboards, scarf unlocks, terriotry control, anything to give pvp meaning in ...you know the war), actual QnA, and low gear dependency have been a constant demand since release of the game, that has equally consistently been ignored and counteracted by cryptic.

If pvp is fun, people will come. Simple as that.

If you need to do months of unfun time-gated pve content, so you can rely on procs to safe your TRIBBLE and thus be competitive, while actual pvp takes time away from that grind, less people will pew.
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes, we need a space zone/sector open PVP.
  • Options
    alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Because cloak and moreso battlecloak would make it an empty avoided by 99% of the playerbase.

You must be a fed. It is entirely possible to withstand decloaking alphas. It takes a good build and some basic 101 of how to pvp. Very few players are so good that your doomed from the moment they put you in their sights. And even then most of that is collecting all the p2w cheese, purple mk xii tac consoles, and tier 5 SB TRIBBLE. Thats what needs to be adjusted not the cloaking. Therein lies the problem. Cryptic has been making good money off player investement in SBs and lockboxes so they can't just undue the rewards. Anyone want to tally the profit off the bug ship? How many people really burn that kind of investment for pve toy when the basic free ship can mow through all the endgame content? *if you do your a moron. Its a pvp ship. Cryptic makes a disproportionate amount of money off its pvp community.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I must respectfully disagree. Even though Pvp game play has not been a center of development. I have continued to regularly enjoy what pvp there is. It could be vastly developed upon and if it was. I can say confidently that most players may have some desire to participate. This goes even more so for those that are in well developed fleets.

I have seen many people with in the years frustrated with the lack of pvp content and have seen many people leave and return in hopes for more of it. then they see there has been nothing changed since they left.. with the lack of content for pvpers. It gives us a simple cause and effect situation.

less pvp content. then less pvpers there are. so of course if the pvpers leave there will always be less people playing pvp.

many Pvpers do not switch over to pve so well because as I feel myself . pve growns stale after you have done it over 20-80 times.

at some point I only pray that I can face a thinking human, rather then a non thinking ai.

Player vs player could be come very fun especially if it pulls in a need for fleets to use their player bases and resourses in a different way. space territory and ground territory control infact gives some of this. I only urge that the area be as vast as possible and made so that as many ships could participate as possible. I would like to say a Fleet Action/Pvp territory control zone.

But I can only continue to hope. this hope of territory control has helped keep my faith in playing the game. and I choose to continue to support sto through it's ups and down anyway. simply because I support star trek. I hope that the game will evolve to truly embody what star trek is about. I know that in order for it to evolve. I must support my fellow gamers. pvers and pvpers a like. together we create a larger market for sto to build off from.

Cheers to Cryptic for all their hard work and their not giving up on Star trek. :)

Please Keep Turning the gears! The game is an on going mission that will produce a multitude of benefits with both money and joy. Lets how far this game can go with the influence and support of everyone.
    If you have read my other posts on the subject then you will see that my opinion is that adding more for existing players will not bring in new players due to the overall poor quality of the pvp system. It would be a temporary fix which would get pvp fans excited for a few weeks until people realized that it would simply be doing the same old thing over and over as they currently are. It would be a cash outlay with no real source of return, and cryptic is not going to spend money if they have no way of getting all that money back.

The system does not need a temporary fix that people are going to be burned out of in a month. To justify the cost of making such a sytem cryptic needs pvp players to spend money. A territory control map is not enough to get people to spend money they have not already spent on the game.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd be all for a persistent PvP Zone, or allowing open PvP'ing in sector space... inside the zone, you are automatically flagged for PvP... in sector space, you need to set a flag to indicate you are open to PvP or not.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    As a member of the population, I can assure you I have zero interest in this or PVP in this game in general. Just to give you an idea of how low the number of people that actively PVP is; one of the developers once upon a time posted that Cryptic was considering dropping PVP all together.

When that was posted guess how many players were Romulan...yes, zero. If you build it they will come. A PvP zone as mentioned would not be mandatory, so there is zero need to object. If you don't like it then stay out. Saying no just because you don't like is is unreasonable, illogical, and irrelevant.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When that was posted guess how many players were Romulan...yes, zero. If you build it they will come. A PvP zone as mentioned would not be mandatory, so there is zero need to object. If you don't like it then stay out. Saying no just because you don't like is is unreasonable, illogical, and irrelevant.

I didn't actually say no, way to completely misread the post. I was responding to the statement that the majority of the games population wants or is in favor of PVP (which obviously is not true or Cryptic would have done something with it long before now). I have no direct stake in this and don't care at all as long as it is an optional zone as stated. The people you need to convince are the upper management at Cryptic.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Having come over from BSGO, I do agree the PvP aspect is not that good. Though it's not the absolute worst.

Could there be a revamp, oh hell yes. But like others have said, if PVP fell away from this game, not many would cry about it.

I don't do it because i'm not that good and working on getting multiple characters to 50 and getting some decent ships atm.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    havam wrote: »
    Just based on what boot camp has achieved in terms of bringing new players in, and what hilberts tool has achieved in terms of breathing life into the game for vets. I have to disagree.

I don't want to post another novel on what prevents players from PvP, and sure many will never enjoy it, and thats ok. But the idea that pvP is doomed to player's neglect because STO players can and will never like it is complete BS.

Player initiatives have and continue to show that. And while the vocal minority disagrees on many finer details, the broad strokes of better documentation, smarter PvE, better matchmaking, some form of persistent influence (could be leaderboards, scarf unlocks, terriotry control, anything to give pvp meaning in ...you know the war), actual QnA, and low gear dependency have been a constant demand since release of the game, that has equally consistently been ignored and counteracted by cryptic.

If pvp is fun, people will come. Simple as that.

If you need to do months of unfun time-gated pve content, so you can rely on procs to safe your TRIBBLE and thus be competitive, while actual pvp takes time away from that grind, less people will pew.

Let me ask you this, how many of those Boot Camp graduates continued to play PvP afterwards? Or were they just in for the title and that they were thinking it was some kind of Cryptic-sponsored event?

And Hilberts tool only did more harm to STO than it helped. Yeah it helped people get their game on, only that it helped them get their game on too much and caused everyone to fly with maximum DPS Builds that trivialized PvE content and scared off new players who never did the boot camp, who got their butts kicked in short order.

Really there is no way to make PvP at this point "fun". Like I said above, the only way PVP has a chance to attract new players if they rebalance the game or dumb down PVP to true Star Trek levels (no consoles, no BOFF abilities, just straightforward Phasers and Photons). But people will get bored of playing Arenas, playing C&H, and getting ganked in Ker'rat while some goldfarmer gets the gold.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let me ask you this, how many of those Boot Camp graduates continued to play PvP afterwards? Or were they just in for the title and that they were thinking it was some kind of Cryptic-sponsored event?

And Hilberts tool only did more harm to STO than it helped. Yeah it helped people get their game on, only that it helped them get their game on too much and caused everyone to fly with maximum DPS Builds that trivialized PvE content and scared off new players who never did the boot camp, who got their butts kicked in short order.

Really there is no way to make PvP at this point "fun". Like I said above, the only way PVP has a chance to attract new players if they rebalance the game or dumb down PVP to true Star Trek levels (no consoles, no BOFF abilities, just straightforward Phasers and Photons). But people will get bored of playing Arenas, playing C&H, and getting ganked in Ker'rat while some goldfarmer gets the gold.

Well, you are definitely entitled to your opinion of PvP.

Personally, I enjoy PvP for the challenge... I did attend bootcamp (clearly knowing this was a player led initiative), and yes I still PvP. Went further to offer services (limited as they are) to teh Bootcamp team. Hilberts tool did help me look at my build (a healer by the way, so I don't look at the DPS info), and reach out to others a little higher up that helped refine my role/build.

Fun is relative term, if you aren't interested in PvP... thats fine.. .really. But, there are players that do enjoy it... and maybe it isn't the largest portion of the playerbase. But it is a legitimate segment.

In any discussion regarding PvP area's... no one is advocating (that I am seeing) a forced PvP experience.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    jaymaverick007jaymaverick007 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd be all for a persistent PvP Zone, or allowing open PvP'ing in sector space... inside the zone, you are automatically flagged for PvP... in sector space, you need to set a flag to indicate you are open to PvP or not.

id pay to buy a pvp expansion pack that I would be willing to pay a lot to cryptic if they made it and put some effort into making it a immersive environment for pvpers.

there is a lot they could do to this. and I feel it has so much potential that they could dish out a more for a long time to come. which would keep players here to always waiting to see what is next.
    Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
    Known simply as -Maverick-
    Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
    Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
    He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
    "United Federation of Planets"
    12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
    Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited November 2013

That's the point they WOULDN'T come, not for long anyway. Building something new on a bad design just creates a new, bad design. As others have said, Cryptic needs to totally and completly revamp the way PvP is done in this game, period. Even those who PvP regularly admit that the PvP system is rather crappy, at least the ones I talk to. They suffer through a bad system because they like to PvP, not because the system is OMG GREAT PVP!

So building something new will indeed draw new players into PvP, then they'll realize why they didn't PvP in the first place, and the majority of them will go back to their Elite STFs. Compound the issue that they'll be ganked the moment they set foot into a persistant PvP area by all the PvPers that have worked months and years on their PvP build, and they're entering the area with PvE builds. Five seconds later the insults will start, calling them noobs and pathetic and Learn2Play, and they'll go back to what they're good at.

So the majority of the people aren't saying no because they don't like it, they're saying no because if they're going to spend all that money on a new PvP persistent world, they're saying they should spend it either on something the majority of the players will continue to play, or spend it on a total revamp of the pvp system. Since the revamp is as likely to happen as William Shatner coming to your door and giving you a free tier 5 connie, with a unique Worf and Spock bridge officer, they figure spend the money on stuff that matters.
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013

PvP Zones would actually go over really well i believe. Minus the fact that the STO engine simply could not handle an entire zone of it. Bear in mind i am not naysaying it, just saying an entire zone would be....difficult.

Ground distinctly possible. I enjoy Ground PvP Zones in other games. But i deigress as ai assume most people are talking about Space.

While i don't like PvP Queue's as its very easy to get RoflStomped by premades tearing up the PUG Scene. They have their place, but they have an evil downside too. As mentioned.

I feel like being flaggable as PvP would be fun, flying about and getting jumped in space. Or bigger ground zones, getting jumped by a group of klingons in a back alley.

What if you had an instance change choice? Bear with me on this part, no new maps needed but they could change how those maps work, I.E. removing the fact that you cant target or fire weapons, place kits and things. You could load into ESD and then switch to ESD PvP OR have both options after entering the non-sector map. So you have Dock or Dock PvP. Same goes for entering certain areas like going from DS9 to Quarks, pick an instance.

I think those would go over very very well. And for sharts and giggles, add a third option for RP'ers, that last one having rules and the ability to report people who are trying to grief (this would need to be looked at in-depth) Because while i am not an RP'er myself it would add a bit of fun to be able to say sit in Quarks, while you chat with fellow captains about this or that, and then suddenly a nausican smahes someones head into a table. Obviously you would have to be flagged for RP-PvP, this way if its your dome smashed into the table your fellows can flag and a bar brawl ensue's, maybe even security will come break it up.....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, you are definitely entitled to your opinion of PvP.

Personally, I enjoy PvP for the challenge... I did attend bootcamp (clearly knowing this was a player led initiative), and yes I still PvP. Went further to offer services (limited as they are) to teh Bootcamp team. Hilberts tool did help me look at my build (a healer by the way, so I don't look at the DPS info), and reach out to others a little higher up that helped refine my role/build.

Fun is relative term, if you aren't interested in PvP... thats fine.. .really. But, there are players that do enjoy it... and maybe it isn't the largest portion of the playerbase. But it is a legitimate segment.

In any discussion regarding PvP area's... no one is advocating (that I am seeing) a forced PvP experience.

Never saying you guys are, but doesn't mean Cryptic won't. That's the thing.

While some of you PvPers find PvP to be fun, it's obvious the majority of people don't think PvP is fun. And I'm not talking about the PvEr's either. The majority of the old school, hard core PvPers left before F2P, because PvP in STO wasn't fun. (Mainly because there were no new things to do).

And if you need a PvP Boot Camp to get people to play, then that speaks volumes. Not just that people are passionate, but it also means the system is so bad that you have to guide them to know how to PvP in the game, where PvP should be straightforward and needs little instruction.

With the OP's suggestion of making a PVP Adventure zone..........the way Cryptic designed theirs is basically an overgrown Capture and Hold Map, which translates to people getting bored real fast, especially if they are old PvPers returning to try it out.

So if you look at it in the large picture, anything Cryptic does in trying to promote PvP will just end up in utter failure. Unless they are willing to go the mile and revamp PvP so its easy to understand. And where Hardcore players are on the same level as brand new players to STO. I'm talking about no buffs, no doff buffs, no gear difference, no set bonuses, its just plain pew pew Star Trek style.

I guarantee you and everyone here that if they made it so simple that all you have is just a gun and your personal skill, PvP will be a lot more fun. But I honestly doubt Cryptic will even do this. Which is why they shouldn't even bother except adding some new PvP maps.
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is an old discussion, since launch players have wanted better pvp and territory control, but star trek is just not a pvp game, I gave up on seeing it a long time ago.

I recommend just finding some really good pvp games, and enjoying those. I log in to STO when new story lines come along, or when a season launches, but I play other titles mostly, if you want a good pvp experience just go to other games, trust me it's not worth the effort of even bringing up the subject in this game, the PVE only players will ruin your threads, bury them in flame wars and drive you crazy.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good MMOs use PvE missions to teach their players about the do's and don'ts of their game's mechanics, how to choose the right equipment and how to create effective synergies with the right choice of powers and skills, how to buff/debuff others / remove debuffs. When players then reach endgame and start PvP they already have a decent knowledge of the game and know what to do.

STO however does nothing of that and the devs deliberately created it this way. Jheinig said on chat that STO's main target group are ultra casual players and it will remain like this. Since PvP is not 'ultra casual' don't expect any support for it. PvE is so mind numbingly easy because many players just want to waltz through everything with no effort involved, even with a completely TRIBBLE choice of equipment and BOff powers. The want to see NPC ships exploding left an right while they go Captain Kirk with whatever stuff they fancy.

Due to the fact that Cryptic also releases continously better gear/DOffs/ships STO's PvE content gets easier and easier. You all should have watched Branflakes 'playing' the new content of season 8 on twitch. It was so easy he did not even pay any attention to the game. He just hammered spacebar with one hand and read the twitch chatbox on another computer. Not even once was his ship in any danger, shields barely flinching, although he seldom used any BOff powers. The game played itself. What you have seen there is the future of STO.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The best argument against extending PVP as it stands is to be seen on the OPVP channel - which seems to be entirely about "trick of the week" builds and abusing others.

The previous posters who picked on PVP needing a fundamental rebalance are bang on - and that needs to come before any major extension of its role, or it will end up remaining a minority sport.

IMO, a big thing Cryptic could do is to reduce the air gap between the PVP and RP communities. As bonkers as that sounds, what that means is rebalancing so that players aren't automatically &^%wed over by choosing to play a themed ship / crew based on what is seem on TV. Such as a Galaxy class with a non-Romulan crew. Until then a lot of players will continue to be put off the "lockbox with Rom crew or go home" mindset of a lot of current PVP.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    1) Most of the players in the game do not pvp.
    2) The pvp sucks in the game and needs a redesign more then it needs a territory control pvp zone.
    3) The industry already has bsgo, eve, and the upcoming star citizen for pvp. Why turn this game into them?

1. + 2.
    a. the pvp has no balance to speak of.
    b. devs have neglected the PVP for a long time.
    c. there doesnt appear to be much interest anyway.

3. BSGO is a null point, the cylons greatly outmatch the colonies anyway. so trying to balance out the PVP realistically you are looking at 5 cyclon fighters to a single mk 7 viper and 2-3 basestars to a single battlestar. EVE combat is flawed in that the death penalty is way too great and star citizen is an unknown, so no idea ifs just another shoot em up exercise. lets also add SWTOR to that list, it's released it's new PVP in space. so while the indstry has them, they are all pathetic in putting out a good balance, rewards and how to deal with defeat.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.