test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In case of DOOM: what has STO actually contributed to STAR TREK?

zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
No not a DOOM thread,

i'm kicking Dr. Dooms rear-end in Marvel Heroes every day for a few months now, didn't find him yet in STO... would be the wrong IP anyway.

OK blah, take this theoretical Situation:
STO is shutting down, lets say *tomorrow*, DOOM and everything included.

My question is:

What was STOs biggest contribution to STAR TREK?

What do you think Star Trek Fans would be saying about STO 10 years after it closed its doors?

Are there any Storylines, Characters or Ships you think had a bigger impact than the sum of its parts as a Game?

What would you, as a Star Trek Fan, look back to and fondly remember about this game?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zerobang on

Comments

• gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the enterprise F and the odyssey class is the biggest i can think of.
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    to be honest, it is a video game.. thus, they have to mess with too much to make it "playable" such as, the federation just going in guns blazing, almost no diplomacy, or trying to figure a way out of a fight.. but this was done to make it more appealing as a game..

so the long short answer to this, is you should take nothing from it.. it is not canon, and it is not meant to influence the ip at all... would be interesting to see if they do another show, with an enterprise, if cbs makes it the enterprise f, and if it is an odyssey class (for continuity), or if it looks completely different.. lol..

what I myself would take from it is, going with the lowest bidder in a development race, gets you what you pay for...
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like that it gave the Klingons a comprehensive identity. There are probably a lot of people who disagree with that identity, but it fills an under-served part of the trek lore.

On the other hand, what they did with romulans was a complete brain-fade

So I guess its a wash
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    It gives us one possible soft-canon continuation of the Prime Timeline story after Nemesis.

But seriously, don't talk about legacy until after something is dead. STO is NOT doomed anytime soon.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The awesome Borg slugfest on ESD at the end of Beta. It was epic, songs will be sung for generations by the lore masters....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxKM3Y5G0U
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    But seriously, don't talk about legacy until after something is dead. STO is NOT doomed anytime soon.

psshhht... don't tell the others, but i'm trying some reverse psychology here to let people point out what is actually important about this game to them and maybe make a Dev or two rethink some of their priorities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It showed me that trek fans are not as open minded as me would think, and that's sad.

And Doooom for the World
    GwaoHAD.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gpgtx wrote: »
    the enterprise F and the odyssey class is the biggest i can think of.

Unfortunately this is pretty much it.

But the thing is, a lot of Star Trek fans don't like the Odyssey's design. And if there ever will be an Enterprise-F onscreen, it's very likely not going this ship.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    it showed me that with enough shinys that even trek can be watered down to a shell of itself and the fans would not care one bit so long as they haz their shinys.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Enterprise F is the only thing I could think of. Everything else is pretty negligible.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013

But the thing is, a lot of Star Trek fans don't like the Odyssey's design. And if there ever will be an Enterprise-F onscreen, it's very likely not going this ship.

Nailed it in one. Though like he said, this game probably won't be cannon.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To seek out and commit casual genocide of every species we meet, war for war's sake, permaconflict, and "if unsure, Iconians... or maybe Undine". Unless of course the Undine are simply being controlled by the Iconians. Or maybe they're being controlled by Undine posing as Iconians. Every episode would have a space fight with the hero ship destroying five conveniently-clustered groups of enemies with a lackluster boss fight at the end, after which nothing will really be resolved.

The season finale cliffhanger will be when the hero ship finally encounters a D'Deridex Defender.

I certainly wouldn't count the Odyssey or Avenger as anything to be proud of that should be carried on in other media that would follow on from STO, they're $^%&!(" hideous.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    It showed me that trek fans are not as open minded as me would think, and that's sad.

And Doooom for the World

And that they rage when Trek stuff is added into a Trek game.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll certainly remember it for its enormous contribution it had in enabling us fans to easily access, create and share our own Star Trek adventures with one another. IDIC.

Bitter ex-STO Vets should be able to look back and remember fond memories of their favorite ships, brought to 'life' and usable outside of limited conditions (like Bridge Commander or Armada modding).

Its still too early for me to say what storylines will having a lasting impact that far along. However, right now, I can easily say that some of the new Romulan and Klingon content as well as past featured episodes remain strong in my mind as 'that officially happened in my version of canon'. Although, I would have preferred to have had more storylines with Va'kel Shon in advance of him taking up the reins of the 25th century flagship, there is still time yet.

10 years from now, aside from the above, I'll probably remember making a number of round trip from Memory Alpha to Deep Space Nine just to cater to Kirayoshi O'Brien's insatiable need for Jumja sticks. :o

Roll on our third anniversary, 10 years isn't so long anymore for games with staying power.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There are certain missions I will remember forever. Going through the guarding gate and fighting with the Enterprise against the future klingons, and hearing Spock talk to me. The first time I heard bonnie-kin and the shivers that went down my spine as I crept my way through that dark building. Walking outside of DS9 in my spacesuit. Fighting 'demons' in the klingon mission. The massive space battle with all the fed ships against the scimitar. The massive battle against the doomsday device. All of those are just the tip of the iceberg as far as mission memories.

I will remember the first time I flew my tos constitution and shot the blue phasers, and heard them too. The first time I flew the galaxy saying 'make it so' to myself every 5 minutes. I will remember the first time I flew into the wormhole at DS9. There is a lot of trek geek memories for me. I will remember the first time I torched someone at kerrat and watched them cuss me out in the chat windown.

If people are not having some of those memories then they are probably not star trek fans.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And if there ever will be an Enterprise-F onscreen, it's very likely not going this ship.
    What makes you so sure? Seems like a very strange claim to make.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    There are certain missions I will remember forever. Going through the guarding gate and fighting with the Enterprise against the future klingons, and hearing Spock talk to me. The first time I heard bonnie-kin and the shivers that went down my spine as I crept my way through that dark building. Walking outside of DS9 in my spacesuit. Fighting 'demons' in the klingon mission. The massive space battle with all the fed ships against the scimitar. The massive battle against the doomsday device. All of those are just the tip of the iceberg as far as mission memories.

I will remember the first time I flew my tos constitution and shot the blue phasers, and heard them too. The first time I flew the galaxy saying 'make it so' to myself every 5 minutes. I will remember the first time I flew into the wormhole at DS9. There is a lot of trek geek memories for me. I will remember the first time I torched someone at kerrat and watched them cuss me out in the chat windown.

If people are not having some of those memories then they are probably not star trek fans.

Oh some good memories. Getting to fly both the Original Constitution class and NX class was a gas. Also getting to fly the Defiant class, totally awesome and getting the prometheous[granted not multi-vector] was totally fun!

Also seeing Iconic places like DS9, Earth Spacedock, Q'on'os, Nimbus III, that was amazingly awesome.

Some good memories, though there are still things that I want to do before the lights go out on STOL. I'd like my VA or LT Gen to actually command squadrons, promote officers to captain and give them their own ships. You know actually do the things a Vice Admiral really does, not be a glorified captain.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ... Where's Sulu? :D

besides that, i can see very little Cryptic has made will ever become trek canon.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    ... Where's Sulu? :D

On ESD wondering where his office went and wondering why the ensigns snicker when they see him...

OT:
    Lobi crystals being a common crystal in the Bajor system has become some kind of rare form of money instead of another one of Quarks scams.

Dilithium thats only used in warp engines is now required to build a dilithium mine, embassy, and starbase. Plus is used as currency to buy equipment.

Gold Pressed Latinum, being the common currency has devolved into only being able to purchase trinkets.

To earn a reputation from someone you have to collect things and buy the reputation regardless of what you do to actualy help them wich is what normaly earns reputation.

Vice Admirals go on dangerous away missions and do not control a fleet... just a single ship.

It takes millions of personnel to create and maintain starbases, embassies, and mines... but those personnel are never seen or heard from again requiring more to replace them.

People in 2409 can completely change they way they look by going to a tailor and superior officers have the right to change the way lower officers look.

I can do this all day lol...
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zerobang wrote: »

It saddens me to say this, but the biggest contribution to trek made by STO so far is the continuation and affirmation of the belief that it doesn't take much to part trek fans from their money.

It has also proven the true worth of the trek IP in a comercial sense, given that the IP alone has made a mediocre to poor game survive lean time that would've shut down many games. Pay attention CBS, you can charge more for the use of the IP because games with it require less development cash spent on them.... sell like an upfront cost even!

jetwtf wrote: »

People in 2409 can completely change they way they look by going to a tailor and superior officers have the right to change the way lower officers look.

Well, in the Terran Empire cosmetic elective surgery is part of the sign up bonuses... besides, you can't very well expect people to look in good in miniskirts and midriff outfits and not provide the cosmetic surgey for it can you? You have to be reasonable about it!:D
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What would you, as a Star Trek Fan, look back to and fondly remember about this game?

space combat that is all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013

If anything, after the disaster that was Enterprise and Nemesis (and stretching even further back, Insurrection and the last few seasons of Voyager), it showed the true colors that is Star Trek fandom.

While the internet was very much functional back in the days of Enterprise and Nemesis, people weren't as interconnected as they are today, and Star Trek fans were typically relegated to a few message boards and chat rooms across the internet.

Star Trek Online changed that from a cultural perspective. We have the facebooks and the twitters, and of course we have XMPP, the STO forums, and any other manner of communications technology that we didn't have before.

And it isn't really the technology that STO contributed -- it's the degree to which we are all connected. Noone has exposed Star Trek fans to one another in the way Star Trek Online did. Not to this degree.

And the sad truth is... they're just plain ugly on the inside. While I always suspected of Star Trek fans of being ugly souls on the inside after meeting them in real life (I always tended to keep my geekery private), knowing they were socially awkward and more or less detached from reality... Star Trek Online proves it for a fact across a global scale. Star Trek fans refuse to be happy with their fandom. They always have been. Every new addition to STO is like every new Star Trek movie or TV show -- it's always bad in some way or another.

And it's that contribution that I think will stick with me the most, that Star Trek Online really reveals to the world just how dysfunctional Star Trek fans are in a way that was never seen before.
    What do you think Star Trek Fans would be saying about STO 10 years after it closed its doors?

It really depends on how much other Star Trek media we get in the interim. If some movie or TV show (unlikely) takes its place, people will likely be lukewarm to STO. Keep in mind that the memory span of Star Trek fans is very small. They absolutely hated Insurrection when it came out. But then Nemesis came out and everyone forgot about the hate for Insurrection. And once the franchise died and resurrected under JJ Abrams? It was fashionable to hate on that instead, completely forgetting about Nemesis.

If we get nothing? Then chances are people will revel in the death of STO and claim it died because of their own personal gripes against the game. Meanwhile, there will be no more Star Trek MMO for those people -- and they'll complain and complain that there isn't anything to satisfy them... just as people did when Nemesis and Enterprise ended the franchise.
    Are there any Storylines, Characters or Ships you think had a bigger impact than the sum of its parts as a Game?

I think the Enterprise-F thing was big. Big big. But I also think that the Dominion FE series was a big one, since it solved a plot hole left behind on DS9. Also the Legacy of Romulus story arc I think will be highly memorable.

I will remember that this is the Star Trek MMO that existed. I was able to create and customize my own character, and put him inside a ship from the movies or TV show and go blow up the Borg, klingons, and any number of other canon ships/species/whatever.

I was able to play Dabo with Leeta for the first time. I was able to rescue the Enterprise-C with Tasha Yar. I was able to meet so many interesting people who shared my interests. I was able to roleplay with many friends, I was able to do STFs and enjoy trying to get the best gear ever. I will fondly remember all of the hard work Cryptic put into the game, pulling Star Trek from so many resources and making it semi-tangible in their in-game world. I will fondly remember the dev blogs with careful explanations on their designs of the game, showing just how much thought they put into their creation. I'll remember fondly the graphical detail there was in the game... of just how beautiful the ships and environments were. Just how alien New Romulus and Nukara was. I'll remember the different kinds of Tribbles with a quiet smile.

I do believe if STO shut down tomorrow, I would indeed have many fond memories of this game.

And on the other side, I will remember just how horrible its playerbase could be.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    And the sad truth is... they're just plain ugly on the inside. While I always suspected of Star Trek fans of being ugly souls on the inside after meeting them in real life (I always tended to keep my geekery private), knowing they were socially awkward and more or less detached from reality... Star Trek Online proves it for a fact across a global scale. Star Trek fans refuse to be happy with their fandom. They always have been. Every new addition to STO is like every new Star Trek movie or TV show -- it's always bad in some way or another.
    Trust me, that's true of all fandoms. The only thing fans like complaining about more than the thing they're fans of is the thing other people are fans of.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Trust me, that's true of all fandoms. The only thing fans like complaining about more than the thing they're fans of is the thing other people are fans of.

You might be right. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, but for instance while I see fans of a particular sports team complain about this athlete or that athlete... I still see them proudly wearing ballcaps and sweatshirts and going to ballgames no matter how horrible their team may be doing.

I don't see that kind of support with Star Trek fans. I never did. There are a few, yes. But they're usually the exception.

Another thing I'll remember is that in a franchise that glorifies intelligence, rationality, and compassion... the amount of really dumb and heartless people in STO.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to agree with Iconians a fair amount. I'm a part of many fandoms and Trek is the only fandom I know of that looks at new content and nearly as a whole treats it as the apocalypse. I like Trek, I enjoy the franchise and I choose to remain hopeful for it simply because it usually is better than people try to make it out to be. The fact that as a whole we can't even agree on what to call ourselves, says it all.

So what did STO really bring to the table?

Personally, I like STO's timeline better than the novels. The novelverse killed off popular characters like Kira, Janeway (if you liked her) and Sela, blew up DS9, blew up the Wormhole and made Sisko abandon his family after getting them back while the Federation starts a Cold War with the Typhon Pact.

STO has a timeline where, yes the Federation is at war, but time and again the story of STO shows that there's no purpose for it. Where we are in game makes us want to end it and unite together. While KDF and FED players may ***** about each other's treatment, we do work together despite our factional differences. And that's what Trek is about. Putting aside our differences for the common good.

And as for what the game has brought the franchise?

I stood in ESD's shipyard in full Formal Uniform for the commissioning for the Enterprise-F and yes, I do like the Odyssey-class. I remember people complaining about the D's and E's designs when I was a child.

I remember going to Deep Space Nine and being overtaken by nostalgia as I wandered the Promenade.

I remember fighting the Jem Hadar the Prophets banished in Sacrifice of Angels

I remember reviving the Preservers and bringing the lost race into the light.

I remember saving the Enterprise-C with Tasha Yar and T'Nae at my side.

I remember the story of the rise of the Romulan Republic, restoring the story that had been set up by the end of Nemesis: that the Romulans may one day walk as friend with the other nations of the Alpha Quadrant, in Peace.

I remember taking a Bird of Prey and staring down the Doomsday Machine.

I remember promising B'Vat's past self that I would give his future self an honorable death.

I remember watching Worf scream in rage as he watched his son die like both his wives did.

I remember standing on the balcony, my first day on New Romulus and thinking "This is where it will begin: where Klingons, Romulans and Federation will start their new beginning together as friends."

I think that this game has contributed much more to the mythology of the series than people like to think. At time STO has the silliness of TOS, the serious character moments of TNG, the deep story arcs of Deep Space Nine (see the Iconians interaction in the game for the best example), the homicially insane captains like Voyager and Janeway, and the Time Travel make-no-sense BS of Enterprise. Personally, I consider this game as much of Trek canon as the series because while it screws up alot, it enriches just as much. Just like TNG did, just like DS9 did, just like Voyager did, just like Enterprise did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Eventually the Romulan Story after they got so royally f.ed in canon by JJA. After that everything romulan related was a totally mess to even touch and IMO the Cryptic Story gal did an awesome job to give the romulans back a presence in the star trek universe.

Yeahyeahyeah, and everybody hates the galaxy class. To fat, to short, dumb neck, etc. No serious star trek fan could eeeeeever like the ent-d design yadayadayada. *yawn*

Vocal minority =/= most fans.
  • specialenvoyspecialenvoy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So much complaining. If you cannot read between the lines of appealing to a wider base of audience that likes to kill stuff, and not comprehend the small stuff that appeals to the niche audience like first contact missions, dof missions, historical Q &A, environmental challenges like on Risa, and other things that Cryptic still tries to add in every so often to give it the Trek feel.

The problem with most the people posting how bad at canon Cryptic is, don't see to get that without some sacrifices to canonical purity, you ingrates wouldn't be enjoying all the new content that is coming up, because it would only be about the hardcores and their utopian TNG visions that many people in reality like watching on the screen, but hardly like being the ones reinacting 5-15 or more minute branching dialogue trees. It's a video game stupid, this is not something you expect should appeal to the hardcore few. What makes it even more difficult is all the timelines in trek that everyone wants to experience. I am a hardcore trekkie/trekker and I am intelligent enough to know that this world of STO isn't going to represent the trek universe with 100% accuracy.

On a final note, only the people who really know how bad of shape STO was in when Perpetual had the reigns. This game almost never happened, and I thank Cryptic for saving it, and making it a reality.
  • specialenvoyspecialenvoy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Eventually the Romulan Story after they got so royally f.ed in canon by JJA. After that everything romulan related was a totally mess to even touch and IMO the Cryptic Story gal did an awesome job to give the romulans back a presence in the star trek universe.

Yeahyeahyeah, and everybody hates the galaxy class. To fat, to short, dumb neck, etc. No serious star trek fan could eeeeeever like the ent-d design yadayadayada. *yawn*

Vocal minority =/= most fans.

Exactly. Cryptic really did fix the broken Romulan continuity left behind by JJ. This imo is a huge plus to the trek universe.
  • nighthammmernighthammmer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is an interesting question that I think may end up being discussed on a podcast like Keep on Trekkin ;)

I think that the biggest things that STO has contributed to Star Trek are a new ship to bare the name Enterprise, the "what happened after" with the Romulan Empire after Nemesis and the Hobus Star destruction, and finally (and inevitably in my opinion) when and what happens when the Khitomer Accords no longer matter.

Jay Nighthammer
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can make a functioning licensed MMO in a year.

A lot of people forget just how much of an achievement that is. Until LotRO, licensed MMO's never really were a thing (anyone remember The Matrix Online? :rolleyes:) then along comes this game which had been taken from it's original developer, given to one known for Super Hero MMOs, and - if I remember what the devs told me - they were given a year to make a full game, and halfway through it they had to completely change the story due to the Abrams film.

When it was first announced in 2008, I took one look at that mess and said it was going to tank within six months.

And yet here we are.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I would have done differently (and I'm sure the devs would agree on quite a few of them), but for what it's worth, this game should have tanked within it's first fiscal year. I think the devs have done quite a bit with this game.