Install Arc
Options

The bad advice thread.

13»

Comments

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The default weapons that come with your ship are the best for it, never replace them.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Go up to any Klingon and say "Ferengies roS SoS "

You will get a very warm welcome.

[Courtesy bing translator]
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Avoid increasing the skill levels of your bridge officers and promoting them. After all, you don't want to waste your hard earned expertise on a Commander who might get promoted to Captain and then leave your ship to take command of his own vessel, now would you? Not every First Officer is like Will Riker...
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The grappler console should be a part of every starship build. it is so OP it will guarantee you success.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Skittle boats are the best and shouting "Taste the Rainbow" makes them pew pew even more.

This made me laugh.

My advice? Everybody loves balloons! Fill all starbases with as many of them as you can. Also,feel free to tell a Klingon they have no honor. They love that/
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    • To speed up diplomatic negotiations, put a conference table in the airlock.
    • A grand piano in the crew lounge is a great idea, especially when inertial dampers are offline.
    • Arm torpedoes in the tube, what's the worst that could happen?
    • Engineering Bridge Officers always know the best place to deploy Cover Shield.
    • Tactical Bridge Officers never throw grenades where you are standing.
    • Science Bridge Officers have good offensive abilities.
    • Use the fireworks emote while cloaked to signal to team-mates you're in position, ready to deploy your alpha strike.
    • Use the tailor to create characters from other famous IPs such as; the joker, homer simpson, the incredible hulk. No one has done that yet.
    • Use 1337 speak to try and bypass the profanity filter when naming your character/ship.
    • Yiffing in social zones is a perfectly acceptable activity.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is a ton of brilliant, intellectual conversations going on at all hours. In ESD zone chat.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you ever find yourself out of dilithium, ask people to trade it to you.

Also, you can find brilliant bargains from people selling things in zone chat instead of using the exchange.

mjarbar wrote: »
    Go up to any Klingon and say "Ferengies roS SoS "

You will get a very warm welcome.

[Courtesy bing translator]

Bing translator is the only Klingon language guide you'll ever need.

(Unless you're looking for things like suffixes and pronouns.)

Send a PM to a random player in zone chat and ask what brand of underpants they wear. If they say they don't wear any, ask them if they water ski naked.......on their butt.

Especially if it's me. I can talk about Ssharki's taste for silk undershorts and his enjoyment of unusual water sports all day.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you don't have tequila, bleach is a great substitute...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Avoid increasing the skill levels of your bridge officers and promoting them. After all, you don't want to waste your hard earned expertise on a Commander who might get promoted to Captain and then leave your ship to take command of his own vessel, now would you? Not every First Officer is like Will Riker...

come on...when will it happen already? :P

I see the option, ist just locked out lol

OT: Always use 4 Tric torps and 4 tric mines....you will be doing HUGE damage and even the borg cannot adapt to your awesomeness :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't remodulate your weapons when you're in a ground STF. Other players will appreciate you and consider you a god amongst men.

Also, always as "Where's Captain Sulu?" when you're at ESD every time you come through.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ganalda is the best social zone.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    djxprime wrote: »
    Don't remodulate your weapons when you're in a ground STF. Other players will appreciate you and consider you a god amongst men.
    Speaking of Ground STFs -

Speed and efficiency is the only thing that matters, and the best strategy is always to just charge through blasting everything that moves.

If it doesn't move, blast it anyway. It will probably move later, otherwise.

If anyone on your team starts talking about something like "trigger lines" the correct response is "LOL WUT."
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can buy EC from reputable websites.

Nigerian monarchs want to share their wealth with you.

The Starfleetdental fleet loves it when you erp at Drozana station.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Instead of finding a corner of a social zone and deploying your festive items like Disco Balls so that anyone who wants to participate can come to you, find the largest group of people you can - especially if they're in the exchange/bank/mail area and are probably focused on something they're doing - and go wild!

People will love you for it and insist that you do it again.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Replacing worn tires, and brakes, in a snowbelt area before winter, is a waste of money.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Driver coil is without a shadow of a doubt the most powerful PvP skill in the game. Make sure you have it trained up 9 points before you think to queue. Once you have it, watch how awesomesauce all of your attacks are.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When joining ANY PvP , Or PvE, and you have cloak capability,

CLOAK AND GO AFK!

Always works, you get the reward AND everyone loves you!

And yes , that was sarcasm.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Going to a star trek convention and announcing on the PA system that star wars is better then star trek and that JJTrek and the the trek novels are not canon will cause much happiness :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Going to a star trek convention and announcing on the PA system that star wars is better then star trek and that JJTrek and the the trek novels are not canon will cause much happiness :)

Telling someone that, because the Trek novels are non-canon and STO is non-canon, they must exist in the same continuity, even if they have mutually exclusive storylines, is a great way to get people to like you.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Play Star Trek Online. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Proper fleet etiquette dictates that you never contribute anything that will cost you dilithium, energy credits, doffs or fleet credits. This is the fleet leaders job. If you contribute, the leaders will be offended and see this as an attempt on your part to take over the fleet.

Also, when joining a fleet, don't forget to take all the items out of the fleet bank and use all the provisions. Those are all welcoming gifts for you, and the fleet will be insulted if you don't take them.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Post weekly requests in the forums for the USS Vengeance in game. The devs love it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's always safe to go AFK in Ker'rat...

:D
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Arguments for adding the Yeager and K'Vort to the game will always be well accepted.

(seriously, though, it won't stop me from wanting my Yeager, if it it's just a 2409-updated look as a new skin for the Avenger in six or eight months...)