test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the rep system only a problem for pvper's

milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
edited October 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Brandon stated in twitter that rep could never be account wide because then characters would not be earning rep. It is a character achievement and part of me gets it, even likes the concept. Its just the reality is we are forced into a blitz on rep in order to maintain our toons for pvp.

So even with a boost to alt rep we are still looking at keeping rep up on all toons that we fight with ingame. So it begs the question does the rep system traits need to count toward pvp? How would people in the pvp community feel about rep if the traits didn't matter except pve and therefore there would be no advantage for completing it other than access to stores?

There are two reasons this is on my mind, first i like variability in pvp with Tac, Eng, and Sci captain. I would like to bring a romulan in once in a while and I had abandoned my kdf toons too. (I bet that the rep system hurts the kdf faction too since many prioritize Feds first) Rep prevents me from having a variety for pvp matches, instead its just my Eng and Sci. Second rep requirements are going to seriously limit new players coming into pvp. Imagine how a person logging into STO for the first time, who is interested in pvp, will take the rep system. I just don't think they will stick it out unless they develop close friends in a fleet or premade.

On the other hand for pve, i am just not convinced it is as essential to have the rep traits or even gear to enjoy, so the pace can be more leisurely. The rep benefits would help no doubt, but I can STF with my klingon T0 Rom and Nuk rep with no real difficulty over my maxed Fed Sci.

I posed this to the fleet and, while we have strong doubts of such a move, there was general agreement it would be more beneficial to our sanity at the least.
PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
Post edited by milanvorius on

Comments

• darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think it's a prblem for anyone who wants to make new toons, to be honest. Before Rep I would make toons and level them when a new ship that interested me came out, be it C-Store or lockbox/lobi. Now with rep I really couldn't be bothered doing all of the above AND repping the toon up. That makes me less likely to bother with new ships, be they C-Store or lockbox/lobi.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way and surely cryptic has to know that that can only hurt sales.

Just my opinion.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Apparently Cryptic figured out that punishing players with multiple toons by making more and more things per-character instead of account-wide (rep, fleet gear/ships, lockbox ships, doffs, ...) makes them more money on average.

I think it would be a great incentive for selling more subscriptions and lifetimes if being a gold-member made reputation essentially account-wide. My suggestion is the following: for gold members, each character's unlocked rep benefits are increased to those of the best character on the account. (RP justification: that character "vouches" for the others.) When one goes back to silver, this rep-sharing stops and each character drops back to its own rep level. So if you know you are going to stay gold indefinitely, it's enough to level just one character, but if you consider dropping back to silver, you would still have a reason to level all chars to prepare for the time without account-wide rep when you are silver again.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A more equitable way would be to discount the required amounts of items/marks/everything required to advance in the rep system if at least one of your toons has already maxed that particular reputation. That would be more encouraging to people starting new toons AND to hopefully to players getting in to PvP.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    discount the required amounts of items/marks/everything required to advance in the rep system
    In my opinion the core problem is not the required amount of marks and stuff. The problem is that it is timegated. Even if I'm willing to go into full grinding mode, it will still take me more than a month to get to T5.

Maybe they could simply reduce the project durations from 20h to 5s when one already has a character that has achieved the next rep level.
  • nebulgamnezarnebulgamnezar Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the thing is , if u make a new toon for pvp, u have to do the rep during a month if u log all day ....
    [System] Link has been on active duty for 415 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes, 16 seconds.
    [System] Zelda has been on active duty for 126 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes, 48 seconds.

French Canadian
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My problem with my Rommy (post rep btw as they all are) is expertise. My Fed and KDF pre-rep oldschool characters have millions of expertise. My poor Rommy has to slog through multiple episode repeats as well as daily mark grind stuff to get the points to spend on rep. I need just under 10k expertise per reputation at my current level on her (tier 3 working on tier 4) which means about 1.25 missions worth of expertise per day per rep or almost a full repeat of the Breen missions every single day. I don't really mind grinding the marks but I would like it if you got enough expertise with the amount of marks so that you had about enough to start your missions without having to go find extra stuff to do for expertise. I noticed I got about 500 expertise for CE elite. Having finished the event and doing the daily turn in, I get 330ish marks from both boxes. That's plenty enough for well more than one day of rep in marks but not even a dent in the expertise needed. STFs give pathetically low expertise as well. Why? They were made for level 50 characters, made pre-rep, and back then expertise was pretty much not much needed other than for fleet stuff that have multiple people stuffing it in on the missions.

The devs need to add expertise rewards to STFs and any mission that gives marks for the reputation. That being said, Defera Invasion Zone and the Nukara ground easy and medium missions (not the public queue ones) give a decent amount of expertise. Those, however, are able to be done pre-level 50. Mirror Universe event and Big Dig (Leroy Jenkins Valley I like to call it) are also very nice for expertise but also pre-50 content. I could go on but to shorten it without more examples, add expertise to level 50 content. We might not be training doffs every other day as we level or using tons of expertise after we hit all tier 5 on rep but until we do, we need it. Badly.

EDIT: And we need it faster than 20 hours of waiting. If I do the grind and get all the stuff to fast track my rep, why can't I? You can't buy marks with cash or trade cool things for them. You still have to grind out every last one. It's not like someone can buy tier 5, not even close.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • keisyeakeisyea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mancom wrote: »
    In my opinion the core problem is not the required amount of marks and stuff. The problem is that it is timegated. Even if I'm willing to go into full grinding mode, it will still take me more than a month to get to T5.

Maybe they could simply reduce the project durations from 20h to 5s when one already has a character that has achieved the next rep level.

Even if I could use zen to finish it quicker I wouldn't mind that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is the rep system only a problem for pvper's

Well, yes. You don't need any of it outside of killing things more quickly. And in normal gameplay you can take as much time as you need. Or to find any excuse to keep using Admiral Perv and his Bridge Bunnies instead of rolling an alt and doing those boot-ugly early missions again.

Rep should be something you build towards since character creation. Small amounts of rep given at the end of missions that they apply to. Then when you get to endgame you can grind to top tier if you decide that PvP and STFs are your thing.
    <3
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mancom wrote: »
    Apparently Cryptic figured out that punishing players with multiple toons by making more and more things per-character instead of account-wide (rep, fleet gear/ships, lockbox ships, doffs, ...) makes them more money on average.

I disagree with this, I believe more people would be consuming romulan, kdf and new fed stuff if alts were more supported.

I don't need the Avenger because I don't keep my tac up anymore. I don't need anything Klingon because I am a fed first kind of player. I have a romulan toon that is leveled up from doff stuff due to my grind on feds, but still has a T2 ship and only collects doffs now.

I think rep hurts sales, hurts new players and especially hurts the pvp and kdf communities because of a Fed First mentality.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know its kinda taking something from another game... but ...

While I agree that the rep system should be character driven... I would like to see something akin to the Legacy system in another space MMORPG. After completing a rep on one character on the account... the next character gets an X% discount on requirements and time (project duration) on the next new toon. That discount would cumulative.

So first toon, like everyone else... second toon, say 10% discount on time and project duration... 3rd Toon = 30%, 4th = 40% and so on...

This meets Cryptics goal of having each toon utilize their missions to rep level their toons, and the players goal of making it easier each time you do it.

Win Win

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited October 2013
    I know its kinda taking something from another game... but ...

While I agree that the rep system should be character driven... I would like to see something akin to the Legacy system in another space MMORPG. After completing a rep on one character on the account... the next character gets an X% discount on requirements and time (project duration) on the next new toon. That discount would cumulative.

So first toon, like everyone else... second toon, say 10% discount on time and project duration... 3rd Toon = 30%, 4th = 40% and so on...

This meets Cryptics goal of having each toon utilize their missions to rep level their toons, and the players goal of making it easier each time you do it.

Win Win

That might be something they are doing, but if it requries substantial completion of one toon then alts are sitting around doing nothing till that completion occurs. The rep continues like an accordion, especially since you can't stockpile the materials for alts while prime is slugging it out over a month or two.

It reduces the grind, but then increases alt lag.
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited October 2013
    As I recently just discovered first hand, devs don't really care about our feedback unless it suits their own interests. They linked the protest dino with lasers thread to one of the only pro dino with lasers on their heads thread and basically deleted it when it was getting enormous feedback from multiple players about why it was a bad idea.

Furthermore, even though I like the rep system it does at least feel like punishment for multiple characters as the time invested starts to outweigh the benefits. Having a lifetime membership in theory sounds great but since there's only a small drop of zen for your patronage that stretches quite thin across said toons in general.

Is there room for improvement, you bet, will they do it? Only if they care.
    May good management be with you.
  • fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    The fact that reputation now seems necessary to PvP makes it hard to create alts. You have to start all over again with new toons, with zero amount of expertise. And usually, the build you were thinking of making usually get nerfed or outdated with new released stuff at the expense of the old things, so that can be a little discouraging.

i agree with this and add that new players will be turned away from pvp.
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • heizlueftaheizluefta Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hate Cryptic for punishing us more and more and at the same time giving us the same lies about pvp improvement for years now.

Good Ideas from Hilbert i think....signed for that !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ericphailericphail Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That might be something they are doing, but if it requries substantial completion of one toon then alts are sitting around doing nothing till that completion occurs. The rep continues like an accordion, especially since you can't stockpile the materials for alts while prime is slugging it out over a month or two.

It reduces the grind, but then increases alt lag.

If you make the -x% per tier then alts can catch up to within one tier of the leader easier (and while this doesn't help as much for new reps it does do wonders for new chars when you already have 2/3 chars at t5 all)

Note: The one thing I would exclude for the discount would be marks that would stay at 100%
    always (that way you've earned your rep on that char, it just isn't timegated)

also where would you cap the discount -80%? -90% -100% (Projects require usual amount of marks, no expertise no items and take 5s)?
    edited October 2013
    ericphail wrote: »
    If you make the -x% per tier then alts can catch up to within one tier of the leader easier (and while this doesn't help as much for new reps it does do wonders for new chars when you already have 2/3 chars at t5 all)

Note: The one thing I would exclude for the discount would be marks that would stay at 100%
    always (that way you've earned your rep on that char, it just isn't timegated)

also where would you cap the discount -80%? -90% -100% (Projects require usual amount of marks, no expertise no items and take 5s)?

They could mark the first character with normal progression. They already have a registry system that marks a start date so 1st character should progress with nominal rep standards. Then it should extend to alts so if you have 3 characters you should get a 10% discount(except for marks) in everything else.

More than 3 characters a 30% discount in everything except marks and dilithium. That'd at least help. But alas it would only happen if they want to do it.
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So even with a boost to alt rep we are still looking at keeping rep up on all toons that we fight with ingame. So it begs the question does the rep system traits need to count toward pvp? How would people in the pvp community feel about rep if the traits didn't matter except pve and therefore there would be no advantage for completing it other than access to stores?
    Would be perfect imo.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hrmmm, did anybody notice the following conversation that took place in another thread...
    thay8472 wrote: »
    or X token from a character at tier 5, we can then trade to another toon to knock of X% of the grind?
    Did you bug our office or something? :P This is exactly what we are considering doing. We'll share more details as things get locked down, as it's completely subject to change.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Shhhhhhh...

...meh, you guys are probably playing the game instead of playing the forums. ;)
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is a chore and then some.

One of the worst things about the game. I'm just barely getting my old abandoned chars up to par.

You don't need any of the rep to do Space PvE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    Hrmmm, did anybody notice the following conversation that took place in another thread...

...meh, you guys are probably playing the game instead of playing the forums. ;)

How I understand it the help will be based on 1 character completing or near completing and that help will likely come in a % reduction, which to be fully utilized will have to mean that other characters are not starting rep. This means that when a rep is released alts sit on sideline, prime knocks it out and gets reduction, alts start and not long after they get a new rep. This means that for the amount of time they are playable there is likely a very long time they will not be, and the fact that the help is based on waiting on prime character to be near done means a lot of time is lost in working through it. Further compounded by the 1 commendation per day limit.

Edit: Then a new rep is released and the alts go into stasis again.
    edited October 2013

Ah yes indeed I saw. That's why I said they'd only do it if they want to and they actually do want to do something which is nice. My post is all about how they should probably do it for those who want to invest in more than 3 standard alts since it takes zen to make it happen.
    edited October 2013
    For me, making this thread is really out of absolute frustration of not having enough time to get my klingons into pvp. I have adopted a fed first policy because the fed starbase was farther along. I didnt have time to get all 6 up, heck i can't keep up with three really. ANd the understanding of rep being added to every season just nails the coffin shut on my klinks.

I just think that I don't see a down side to the rep traits not being included in pvp. You can work toward whatever rep you want for gear, but don't need to worry about keeping rep up on all captains just to achieve baseline ability.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's the Reputation stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 6 months.
    There's the Fleet Holding stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 6 months.
    There's the various Lobi stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 3 months.

You won't be able to keep up in PvP. You don't need any of it for PvE.

Yes, it is a wonderful thing...meh.
    edited October 2013
    There's the Reputation stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 6 months.
    There's the Fleet Holding stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 6 months.
    There's the various Lobi stuff which appears like it's going to be added every 3 months.

You won't be able to keep up in PvP. You don't need any of it for PvE.

Yes, it is a wonderful thing...meh.

That is really depressing. I already have thought about some, but I don't want to believe it.

And I am looking to have to cut back my play time next semester. It is kinda sad to think STO might not be something I keep up with. I love star trek themed stuff. Maybe they will make more intriguing and complex pve stuff soon.
    edited October 2013
    It's more of their tetris mentality. Stack stack stack and leave holes of functionality in their wake. I told myself I was going to make a rom tac a long while ago and still have not been able to sculpt the sci rom I leveled to 50 with any tiering via rep at all.

Very valid concern.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Can I point out the extremely obvious answer?

Just do it casually, don't try to "keep up" and have fun in whatever you decide to do.

Perhaps a companion channel called Dyler Turden could be set up for alts, not max rep gear, those without all the flash cars and hot boffs. Just pew pew with what you got.

If this is STILL ruining your fun and you still haven't read the memo, then I'll put it again here:

This game is not balanced around really good players and those with everything, nor will it ever be.

It sucks, I know, but it doesn't make it any less true.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • aldo1rainealdo1raine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think rep is also a problem for Borg cubes, those guys don't stand a chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What sucks is that if/when I do decide to start playing again, I won't just be able to jump into matches, I'll have to waste time leveling up stupid Rep garbage.
    edited October 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »
    What sucks is that if/when I do decide to start playing again, I won't just be able to jump into matches, I'll have to waste time leveling up stupid Rep garbage.

Even though I like the rep systems you're right. Doesn't make coming back from hiatus very easy when you have another rep to grind all a sudden. Some people think it's no big deal but they tend to be the folks who have nothing to do but play the game if it suits them or they're primarily PVE and don't feel as behind with what they got.
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2013
    snoge00f wrote: »
    You don't need any of the rep to do Space PvE.

QFT. The Reputation system's traits are utterly superfluous for PvE. At best, all it does is knock a few seconds off your kill times. In the end, you can PvE in a friggin dilithium-bought ship with average gear off the exchange. All this power creep is ridiculous for PvE, especially since Cryptic doesn't have the guts to actually increase the difficulty, lest too many carebears start complaining. Just look at the howling and moaning that happened most recently for Crystalline Catastrophe, with all the sci effects going on and more ships spawning.

The rep really just screws with PvP, which is already complicated enough to handle as it is. Oh, and all those blasted toys they keep throwing into the game. It's to the point where, in a fight, I don't even know what I'm getting hit with half the time. It's become a much wider variety of TRIBBLE out there over the last 1.5 years or so, and it's all being spammed very quickly.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp