test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] [INTERVIEW] Do you have questions for STO Environment Artists Adam Flores and Scott Boyd?

On Friday 17th of June at 8pm Eastern (5pm Pacific, 1am UK) the Tribbles in Ecstasy Podcast goes live and talks to STO Environment Artists Adam Flores and Scott Boyd.

Please reply to this post if you have any questions you'd like asked.
You can also join us live on Twitch here: http://bit.ly/hsmlive

Important note:
Scott Boyd and Adam Flores are Environment Artists and an environment artist is someone who works on 3D modelling indoor and outdoor locations, they create the majority of the visuals you encounter on the screen. Please try and keep your questions on a related topic to ensure that they can be answered.

LLAP

Comments

• sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Remember: Enviromental Artists generally build scenery. Think ESD, Kobali, or New Khitomer.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Anyway to finally get the the camera to cooperate so we can have things to scale..i.e the mega giant transporter rooms like on New Khitomer?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Anyway to finally get the the camera to cooperate so we can have things to scale..i.e the mega giant transporter rooms like on New Khitomer?

This might help, Darakoss.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    Ah...I'll look into that. Thanks!
    original join date 2010

• kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yay! I love dev interviews.. :) - ok so here goes..

1. What's your favorite Map/Environment/Location in STO?
    2. How long does it take to create a huge map like New Romulus or Nimbus III?
    3. So far we've seen quite a lot of different environments, but one that is still missing is an underwater environment.. any chance, that we'll see one in the near future? (The Voyager episode "Thirty Days" comes to mind)
    4. What kind of reference material do you use for creating places like Cestus III Edren IV for example?
    5. Can you describe the exact process of creating an environment from the concept (art) to the finished map?
    Post edited by kurumimorishita on
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Yay!

Adam, do you have any opinions on Talent vs. Skill?
    Scot, how is working at Cryptic different than working at EA?
    Adam, why do you hate Z-Brush so much?
    Scot, how do you feel about McDonald's?
    Both, which of you do you think is Sam's favorite?
    4. What kind of reference material do you use for creating famous places like Cestus III for example?

Pssssttt . . . it's not Cestus III, it's Edren IV. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    When would you stop the grindfest or rep marks? Come'on...there must be another option that the same boring grindfest to get marks for X reputation. Can we get better "fun" ways to grind? like dancing or racing like winter/summer events instead of the tired same old stuff?

sorry got carried away with...still they can pass that along to their bosses MR EP or like bear-2.gif​​
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    Is PvP ever coming back or banished for good?​​
  • fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    Tails - we want them. MEOW
    Tell them we...meow...respectfully request that Alien captains are able
    to choose tails for their characters if they already own a feline premium race.

that is it, thank you.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Any solid plans to eventually give the DS9 interior a makeover?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I would like to ask about remodeling DS9, as the station is showing its age (gameplay wise) in terms of texture quality, as well as rooms that could be added like the Infirmery and Security Office.

I know Taco's still drooling over the idea of getting unleashed on DS9...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Will we ever see the new interior corridors that were featured in 'Training Cruise' as a selectable interior choice for our ships? I'd much prefer those over the current default non-bridge interiors.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    are we going to have more playable maps (I mean planet to visit like nimbus), and a new battlezone like the ground voth battlezone? (one of the most interesting place in game).

maybe more places opened on new romulus; reman district, or other locations?
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Hope these can get answered .

1- any plans to revamp maps like Andoria or other worlds that have basically remained the same for years now?

2- will we see an underwater themed map?

3- will maps be made available so we can change the view from fleet starbases? Example : Fleet starbase in the middle of an asteroid field.

4- Will it be possible and are there plans to introduce weather conditions such as snow, rain, plasma storms on ground maps ?
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Q: are you looking forward to developing new interior kits based on the new Star Trek series?
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Pssssttt . . . it's not Cestus III, it's Edren IV. . .

Ooops! *^^* of course I meant.. Edren IV ;) hehe.. thanks for the hint!
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    I'll be closing this thread in about 18 hours - so not long to submit any questions you have!
    Have you guys ever thought of putting in more animations on space maps like maybe a swirling black hole off in the distance or the like or possibly different animations in sector space . And why do you see star streaks while using your floater on Risa lol. I know it's to give a sense of motion but it just looks wierd.
    original join date 2010

• kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Have you ever considered revamping DS9 in secret and not telling Taco?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    How many man hours does it actually take to build a pvp map?

Tee hee hee, this one WILL be good. ;)

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    Yup, can we have tails turned on for alien builds if your account purchased one or both of the premium feline races ?
    It is just a cosmetic thing but one near and dear to MANY players hearts.

try to slip it in, ...meow
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Q: what is your favorite location or interior style/kit after the new lighting was introduced?
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    The first ESD, First City and DS9 were all build on the "roundel" model of structural layouts, such that you're supposed to "circulate" around them in order to get to where you're supposed to go (although First City does this in a "blocky" fashion, rather than being explicitly circular about it).

Is there an "effort" underway to move away from such circular layout schemes of new environments, such as we can see in the new ESD, which results in a more "open" volume of space to work with?

===

Those little curls in hallways/paths that are designed (needed) to block line of sight but which serve no other purpose ... how "necessary" are those (I hesitate to call them) "features" in interior maps given the current state of the game's tools, systems and development? These pathways can be especially obvious/egregious in some of the interior starship environments, which begs the question of why they were inserted at all.

===

Can you provide an estimate of the amount of man-hours of work it takes to design and populate a new environment based on its volume and the "density" of its features? Obviously a more densely "packed" environment can take longer to design and QA, so it might help people understand the enormity of the task of creating NEW environments from scratch if they could get a handle on the amount of man-hour resources it takes to budget for the task, based on size and complexity.
  • delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Hi, can you please ask

1, are there any plans, will you be updating New Romulus?
    2, are there any plans, will you be adding species home worlds, like Ciat or any other species
    3, are there, will you be updating the current species home worlds? Andorra, Vulcan
    4, will there be any new ship interiors in the near future (in 2016)
    *please forgive spelling

Thanks
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    1. What are the chances of getting time to put some more bank terminals on Q'onos?

2. What kind of environment would you still like to build?

3. How long does it take to build a ground map like Earth Space Dock compared to a space map (like Sol)

4. What kind of environments do you prefer making?

5. What environment in STO are you the most proud of?

6. What environment in STO was the most fun to build?

7. What environment in STO was the most challenging?

8. Has there been any thoughts made in regarding to make ship interiors useable for more missions? Star Trek had a lot of "Ship-In-A-Bottle" episodes, but STO just can't seem to do those so far...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    What is the work whose you are most proud?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    When would you stop the grindfest or rep marks? Come'on...there must be another option that the same boring grindfest to get marks for X reputation. Can we get better "fun" ways to grind? like dancing or racing like winter/summer events instead of the tired same old stuff?

sorry got carried away with...still they can pass that along to their bosses MR EP or like bear-2.gif​​

These questions are not what would normally be asked of artists. The mod specifically asked for questions related to artwork

I would like to endorse unlimited character creation. No restricted parts, like tails
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D