test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AFK Penalty

captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

that's my first reaction to this and a complete appropriate one to say the least. I was in azure nebula and doing it the easiest way I sat below the trapped ship and released them as it spawned. In no way was I AFK, how could I, I was releasing the ships as they spawned. Hell I even chatted a few times in the team chat. When the event was over I go to queue up another event and I have a AFK Penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MUCH FOR FURTHER TESTING OF THIS. HOW WAS I EVEN AFK? I RELEASED MORE SHIPS THAN MY TEAMMATES. WHAT KIND OF TRIBBLE IS THIS!
Post edited by captainbailey on

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    The AFK tech is not live on Holodeck yet. Can you post a screenshot of your queue showing the penalty?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    jaguarman1234jaguarman1234 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    He probably can't :D
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You sure you don't have something called a "cooldown"?
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    He probably can't :D

REALLY I CANT???????

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4337/2s9p.jpg

lets just say im more than pissed that I was far from afk and I got hit with this penalty. let alone this penalty is supposedly not "active" yet either
  • Options
    victorstellavictorstella Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So much for the release notes that said, "AFK penalty feature is being postponed in the near term for further testing."
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited October 2013
    Going to try this on a toon right now to see if it is "live" after all.
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm guessing AFK'ing is being defined as anyone not DPS'ing... lol????
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The experiment has escaped the lab.

Zounds!
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    I'm guessing AFK'ing is being defined as anyone not DPS'ing... lol????

yeah, you can be totally useless shooting invincible gates in kase/ise and probes in cse but hey you wont be AFK but you can be releasing ships in azure; helping score points but count as AFK because you didn't "shoot" anything.

BTW: how is my issue getting fixed?????? I still have my ban for no reason what so ever. free zen? free item? ?????
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    REALLY I CANT???????

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4337/2s9p.jpg

lets just say im more than pissed that I was far from afk and I got hit with this penalty. let alone this penalty is supposedly not "active" yet either

Thanks for posting the screen -- I will pass it along to the team so they can investigate.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    misslithanymisslithany Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I also got stuck with the afk penalty aftering running Azure Nebula Resuce. Did what I normally do, let someone else run in draw the tholians aggro and draw them away well I just free the romulan ships. Didn't fire a shot. Got all of 16 romulan marks, guessing getting tagged a few times by stray BFaW shots was the only reason I didn't get nothing.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/thek.jpg/
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    yeah, you can be totally useless shooting invincible gates in kase/ise and probes in cse but hey you wont be AFK but you can be releasing ships in azure; helping score points but count as AFK because you didn't "shoot" anything.

BTW: how is my issue getting fixed?????? I still have my ban for no reason what so ever. free zen? free item? ?????
    It's a mixup - I don't understand how you think you're entitled to free items because of a mixup.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I also got stuck with the afk penalty aftering running Azure Nebula Resuce. Did what I normally do, let someone else run in draw the tholians aggro and draw them away well I just free the romulan ships. Didn't fire a shot. Got all of 16 romulan marks, guessing getting tagged a few times by stray BFaW shots was the only reason I didn't get nothing.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/thek.jpg/

yeah and it sucks we get stuck with 2 hours of non play when we did just as much work as the rest of the team; sometimes more than others. what is worse this isn't suppose to even be active yet on holodeck.
    It's a mixup - I don't understand how you think you're entitled to free items because of a mixup.

its more than a mixup. something was clearly said to not be added was. ok fine, but now I cant play for 2 hours. I had plans to get marks for that toon to do the rep system and now I cant because I am blocked due to this. that is why I am upset. not to mention the fact I wasn't afk at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If you were stuck with not being able to play the game for 2 hours how were you able to log in and take that screen shot?

Nothing stopping you from forming private teams or soloing.

And many thanks for reporting this bug you found. The feature isn't supposed to be active yet, and testing on the feature was stopped on Redshirt while they do some work on it.

I think your misreading what I said. Obviously I can log in and play but what I can not do is public queue for 2 hours. I cant solo anything for romulan marks, nukara marks, or omega marks from the public queue. While yes I can make private queues it is not truly viable to make private matches of azure, vault, atmosphere, etc over and over for marks.

I bet we can all see an emergency maintenance sometime soon to remove this from the system.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I bet we can all see an emergency maintenance sometime soon to remove this from the system.

Alternate (70% tin-foil) theory. Cryptic knew this system needed lots of testing to winnow out false positives, and they knew they weren't going to get it on Redshirt. So they "accidentally" release it (maybe for just a couple of maps) to Holodeck. Oops!
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Alternate (70% tin-foil) theory. Cryptic knew this system needed lots of testing to winnow out false positives, and they knew they weren't going to get it on Redshirt. So they "accidentally" release it (maybe for just a couple of maps) to Holodeck. Oops!

lol I think you might be right. well for now im going to stay away from azure nebula. no need to take 2 hour penalties for doing work.
  • Options
    theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I do believe it would be a nice gesture to compensate the OP in some way for his/her temporary ban, as the AFK penalty is double the STF leaver's penalty and is enough to ruin somebody's evening if they don't have other top-level, ground-out characters. A free ship would be expecting too much but what would be the harm in giving the player some EC or a stack of Contraband or a couple of Artifacts?

If this is primarily happening in Azure then yeah, I'm going to avoid it for a while.

While I have joined many others in calling for an AFK penalty or a vote to kick option, this TRIBBLE-up confirms my worst fears: that innocent players will be hit. Thankfully, it sounds like the devs are going to take some time to fine-tune the system, and I hope they take all the time that is needed to get it right. Perfect would be asking too much, but hopefully it'll be thought-out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • Options
    tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is also an obvious case of the Dev's not understanding the ingenuity of its player base. When they devised that mission I bet they never considered it could be completed in such a way.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

that's my first reaction to this and a complete appropriate one to say the least. I was in azure nebula and doing it the easiest way I sat below the trapped ship and released them as it spawned. In no way was I AFK, how could I, I was releasing the ships as they spawned. Hell I even chatted a few times in the team chat. When the event was over I go to queue up another event and I have a AFK Penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MUCH FOR FURTHER TESTING OF THIS. HOW WAS I EVEN AFK? I RELEASED MORE SHIPS THAN MY TEAMMATES. WHAT KIND OF TRIBBLE IS THIS!

Sounds like you were "cherry picking"

When on a TEAM, I'd expect WE would engage the Tholians then WE would set the jailed birds free.
    If there was a vote in place, you would have gotten mine.

Another scenario a player would get my vote is the player that floats off in the distance watching you bring down a Cube's shields and hull before swooping in and delivering the killshot(s).
    Cherry Pickers, imo, are just as bad as a Leech/AFKer.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rezking wrote: »
    When on a TEAM, I'd expect WE would engage the Tholians then WE would set the jailed birds free.
    That is because YOU do not know how to play the mission, and exactly why a vote system is BAD. *HE* knows how to play the mission: Your goal is to rescue Romulan ships, NOT pick senseless fights with Tholians. At best, such actions function as an occasionally helpful distraction for the guy rescuing the ships. At worst, you attract enemies and get him hit by stray shots that disrupt the process. In all cases, they are unnecessary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That is because YOU do not know how to play the mission, and exactly why a vote system is BAD. *HE* knows how to play the mission: Your goal is to rescue Romulan ships, NOT pick senseless fights with Tholians. At best, such actions function as an occasionally helpful distraction for the guy rescuing the ships. At worst, you attract enemies and get him hit by stray shots that disrupt the process. In all cases, they are unnecessary.

Its good to see that some players out there do get how to properly play Azure Nebula. By far this is the best and most efficient way to do this mission. 3 players can release ships solo and the last ship that requires 2 players can be done with the 2 remaining. this would ensure that Azure Nebula always completes with highest marks, unfortunately that almost never happens. We see that by the fact of the other poster would rather vote people out than play properly.
    I do believe it would be a nice gesture to compensate the OP in some way for his/her temporary ban, as the AFK penalty is double the STF leaver's penalty and is enough to ruin somebody's evening if they don't have other top-level, ground-out characters. A free ship would be expecting too much but what would be the harm in giving the player some EC or a stack of Contraband or a couple of Artifacts?

If this is primarily happening in Azure then yeah, I'm going to avoid it for a while.

While I have joined many others in calling for an AFK penalty or a vote to kick option, this TRIBBLE-up confirms my worst fears: that innocent players will be hit. Thankfully, it sounds like the devs are going to take some time to fine-tune the system, and I hope they take all the time that is needed to get it right. Perfect would be asking too much, but hopefully it'll be thought-out.

Also, its good to see support from other players that its wrong from cryptic to have something that was clearly not suppose to be active on holodeck live restricting players from playing for no reason. of course I never expected to receive anything but as you stated it would be a nice gesture for their blatant TRIBBLE up in this matter.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    AFKers should have marks subtracted from their inventory. That would teach them a lesson. :D
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Oh, I know how to play.
    It sounds like both of you are trying to defend an exploit.
    It's similar to a Leech in the CC event I saw.
    The Leech just sat there at spawn and it's like the NPCs didn't target him because he didn't budge.
    Maybe the same thing is happening, if so then Rescue needs to be reworked.

I'm not advocating a vote because it can be abused by a marauding horde of Leechers/Griefers seeking revenge for making them actually earn their rewards.
    I think nothing short of gameplay video and some penalty at the account level will end Leeching/AFKers.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh, I know how to play.
    It sounds like both of you are trying to defend an exploit.
    Even if you believe that it is somehow proper that senseless violence occur, the fact remains that the guy responsible for rope-cutting should not be engaging in any fights. Someone ELSE should be engaging in senseless violence while the cutter makes use of the distraction to cut the ships free. That guy shouldn't be firing any shots because shooting disrupts cutting. Period.
    It's similar to a Leech in the CC event I saw.
    The Leech just sat there at spawn and it's like the NPCs didn't target him because he didn't budge.
    No, no it isn't. In this case, you have a guy attempting to leech the rewards without actually doing anything. In Azure, you have a guy who is working at doing the actual mission objectives: Rescuing ships. That he doesn't engage in any unnecessary fighting is not wrong. In fact, no matter HOW you do it, even if you think the fighting should occur anyway, someone STILL has to rescue the ships, and you cannot do so while shooting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    AFKers should have marks subtracted from their inventory. That would teach them a lesson. :D

*nose twitches* you read the OP, didn't you?
  • Options
    indypenguinindypenguin Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Right but how are you AFK if you're disabling the tractor beams? I got hit with the same AFK penalty in Azure nebula too. Unlike the OP, I did not have to shoot any of my weapons (at least as far as I recall). You still have to hit the "f" key (how appropriate) to disable the tractor beam. It may be a mission "exploit" but the stated mission objective is to release as many Romulan ships as you can. The mission briefing does NOT mention that you have to defeat the tholian forces. Otherwise, give me credit (points I guess) for killing the Tholians too.

By design (at least to me) the Tholian defensive/security/sentry screen has holes in it. Without getting into too much detail, I'd keep my larger ships by the captured Romulan vessel and extend my smaller ships out into a cone around me as a picket line. This would extend my engagement range, identify the threat axis, and move in with my heavier ships for the kill. Anyway, I digress. Players should not be penalized for using some strategy/tactics in this game. Azure Nebula has three basic strategies.

1) Traditional method, kick the door down, shoot everything up, and then free the Romulan ship.
    2) Split the force. One players drags/distracts the security screen, player two deals with the tractor beams.
    3) As stated previously, there is the alternative method of "sneaking in" and cutting them out from under the tholian "noses". Basically try to disable the tractor beams at maximum range and hope the security screen does notice you. There are a few wrinkles to this one basic on ship capabilities. I will not discuss this further here as it's not the place to do so.

AFK would be a player who joins an STF and basically parks a ship, letting everyone else do the work. Causing DPS does not necessarily mean AFK depending on the mission parameters. I think a better "AFK" rule needs to be implemented.
    Ad astra per aspera

God be between you and harm, and all the empty places we must walk.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well we can gather the AFK penalty was purposely implemented into holodeck even though stated otherwise because if it was TRULY unintended to not be here an emergency maintenance would have occurred by now removing it.

It's great to see a flawed and failed system implemented placing bans on good players with no response from cryptic other than, "we're investigating."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well we can gather the AFK penalty was purposely implemented into holodeck even though stated otherwise because if it was TRULY unintended to not be here an emergency maintenance would have occurred by now removing it.
    There is no need to attribute to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence. They broke a lot more than just Azure in this round, but none of these things cause immediate fires if you know where they are.
    It's great to see a flawed and failed system implemented placing bans on good players with no response from cryptic other than, "we're investigating."
    Actually, that's a pretty standard response under any circumstances. Given that it's clear they didn't do this on purpose, now they have to flail around trying to find what the hell they did. That's "investigating".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like you were "cherry picking"

Another scenario a player would get my vote is the player that floats off in the distance watching you bring down a Cube's shields and hull before swooping in and delivering the killshot(s).
    Cherry Pickers, imo, are just as bad as a Leech/AFKer.
    When I aggro the Tholians, I hope the others are not dumb enough to help me, but instead free the bird.
    I can handle the Tholian alone, I don't need others to waste time. Also, by "helping" me, they loose time, which mean less reward in the end. I'm there for the reward, not killing tholians with others.
    Teamplay is more than killing stuff together, it's working as a team to complete objective. Me killing Tholian, while you save the bird (objective) is teamplay. Following me like a carrier pet, and DPSing the Tholian is not.

How many people are affect ? 10 ? 100 ? Probably no more. And it's not a really important matter. It seems to affect azure nebula only. And it's just a 2h CD, nothing more. No items loss/gain, no huge exploit...
    It's not worth a 2h emergency maintenance, that will probably affect thousands who will come screaming on the forums. Claim they don't care about azure nebula rescue, how they planned to play, and how they want free zen/whatever.
    Just like you, but on the other side of the fence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, apparently, that means that until this gets fixed, people need to alternate who gets aggro and who frees the birds, and hope that the DPS threshold or whatever hadn't been set too high.

Does the strategy "game the system" to make the mission easier? Yes. Is this an exploit? No. Far more so than running in and gunning everything down like a drunken Klingon in a room full of tribbles, the strategy requires both skill and teamwork, and rewards the players accordingly. This kind of lateral thinking is something that I wish more missions rewarded over pure DPS.

It isn't cherry picking, it's getting into position for a long pass that could get your team a touchdown, or stealing 2nd base so that a base hit could turn into an RBI. Calling it cherry picking is being ignorant of how the game is scored.

Sometimes, that's all they can do. There's a lot of bugs that haven't been fixed because they haven't yet tracked down the actual source or managed to create a viable fix. They thought they disabled the AFK system, but now they need to spend time looking for what they missed.
This discussion has been closed.