What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AFK Penalty

Comments

• kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rezking wrote: »
    Sounds like you were "cherry picking"

When on a TEAM, I'd expect WE would engage the Tholians then WE would set the jailed birds free.
    If there was a vote in place, you would have gotten mine.

Another scenario a player would get my vote is the player that floats off in the distance watching you bring down a Cube's shields and hull before swooping in and delivering the killshot(s).
    Cherry Pickers, imo, are just as bad as a Leech/AFKer.

I see your point HOWEVER freeing ships in this manner is EXACTLY the recommended tactic, group aggro and a sneaker to free ships to actually get a score....
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pleased to see you find losing your arguments to me amusing. That's a healthy attitude. Too many people get stressed out when they realize they are wrong. ;)

Yes dear, whatever you say.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pleased to see you find losing your arguments to me amusing. That's a healthy attitude. Too many people get stressed out when they realize they are wrong. ;)

It's hard to lose an argument to a person who can't comprehend language.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Re-pasting here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=878731

Azure Nebula Rescue Queued Event Temporarily Unavailable (October 11, 2013)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm glad to see cryptic finally removed the unintended AFK penalty from ANR but I HOPE they fix the issue that marks you as AFK in the first place.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh, look, the Charlie Sheen wanna-be is back, prancing around shouting "Winning!" without any comprehension at all.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know, but I'm optimistic that it's a skill you will one day learn. :D

Dude, just stop trolling.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • revlotrevlot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

It has a hard time with my locations, I drop a turret and it appears WWWAAAYYY far away, I use my main weapon and my location jumps, and today it lodged me inside an asteroid and I could NOT escape! At least I had traded some DPS with the tholians before I was trapped inside the asteroid, so I got no AFK penalty. On the bright side, trapped inside the asteroid I was able to release the tractored ships and not receive any fire while I did it, but was kinda boring just sitting there.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The amount of time it takes for someone to pull tholians out of BFaW range is far longer than having competent two players just destroy them. Its not elite stuff, they explode in seconds.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope you all learned a valuable lesson - never try to stop AFKers. When you do...good people get hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Alternate (70% tin-foil) theory. Cryptic knew this system needed lots of testing to winnow out false positives, and they knew they weren't going to get it on Redshirt. So they "accidentally" release it (maybe for just a couple of maps) to Holodeck. Oops!

hahahahahahaha

its funny cause i could see it
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • mrvoodumrvoodu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is also an obvious case of the Dev's not understanding the ingenuity of its player base. When they devised that mission I bet they never considered it could be completed in such a way.

they should fix that way in order to stop players from hiding under rocks. i though thats why we have weapons on our ships for. nebula rescue is too easy without trying to start with. muchless hiding under rocks. increase the rocks size so they cant get close enough to hide like school girls in a horror movie.
    edited October 2013
    That is because YOU do not know how to play the mission, and exactly why a vote system is BAD. *HE* knows how to play the mission: Your goal is to rescue Romulan ships, NOT pick senseless fights with Tholians. At best, such actions function as an occasionally helpful distraction for the guy rescuing the ships. At worst, you attract enemies and get him hit by stray shots that disrupt the process. In all cases, they are unnecessary.

+1 what you said
    edited October 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    The goal of Azure is release of the trapped romulan ships.... that is it.... if someone has the necessary stealth to free romulan ships while one or two of us engage the tholians, or just to start to and speed up the process that equals more marks for the team. as we can get to more ships usually.... blowing up more tholians may get you some mediocre drops.... but it's not going to get you any more marks.

18 points is the total you need for max marks. any more than that and you still get the same max marks. last night my premade got 43 points and still had 1:22 sec left on the clock and still got the same max marks. there are no reasons to justify the so called speed up the cutting to justify hiding under rocks. we killed every tholion and still got 43 points.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mrvoodu wrote: »
    they should fix that way in order to stop players from hiding under rocks. i though thats why we have weapons on our ships for. nebula rescue is too easy without trying to start with. muchless hiding under rocks. increase the rocks size so they cant get close enough to hide like school girls in a horror movie.
    that or using MES... :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is the AFK penalty still active? I just lost power to my PC, came back 20 minutes later, and I've got a penalty and can't queue up.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

that's my first reaction to this and a complete appropriate one to say the least. I was in azure nebula and doing it the easiest way I sat below the trapped ship and released them as it spawned. In no way was I AFK, how could I, I was releasing the ships as they spawned. Hell I even chatted a few times in the team chat. When the event was over I go to queue up another event and I have a AFK Penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MUCH FOR FURTHER TESTING OF THIS. HOW WAS I EVEN AFK? I RELEASED MORE SHIPS THAN MY TEAMMATES. WHAT KIND OF TRIBBLE IS THIS!
    yeah and it sucks we get stuck with 2 hours of non play when we did just as much work as the rest of the team; sometimes more than others. what is worse this isn't suppose to even be active yet on holodeck.
    I wonder.

Even though we all use this technique, would it be considered as cheating?

Do you know what I mean?

Cryptic didn't technically make the rules, which we all use for beating stfs, events, etc... We just use certain methods because they work. How we play Azure was handed down from player to player.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I do Azure Nebula the sneaky way too. Hide under asteroid, get <8km from trapped ship and free it w/o fighting the silly tholians. Hope I'm not going to get hammered by it. Azure Neb is the one event where you can succeed easily w/o firing a shot.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The feature was pulled from testing for more work and this is probably one of the reasons why it was pulled.

Reminds me of this
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited October 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    I wonder.

Do you know what I mean?

Cryptic didn't technically make the rules, which we all use for beating stfs, events, etc... We just use certain methods because they work. How we play Azure was handed down from player to player.

Unless cryptic were to come out and specifically say this is how "X Thing" is to be done then nothing can be considered cheating. That is why when things like happen people get overly upset.
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    I wonder.

Do you know what I mean?

Doesn't sound like cheating based upon the mission description.... the mission description (that is what your task is) is to penetrate the tholian defenses and disable the tractor beams in order to free the romulan ships.... not to destroy all tholian ships, or even to destoy all defenses... mere penetrate. Penetration can come in the form of destroying yes, or pushing them out of range, or distractions, or what not.... as the task is to free the captured ships... and it is freeing them which gets points, and nothing else.
    edited October 2013
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ^^ohh my :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I do Azure Nebula the sneaky way too. Hide under asteroid, get <8km from trapped ship and free it w/o fighting the silly tholians. Hope I'm not going to get hammered by it. Azure Neb is the one event where you can succeed easily w/o firing a shot.

you're still pressing buttons so you wont be marked AFK.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    AFKers should have marks subtracted from their inventory. That would teach them a lesson. :D

Thumbs up ;)
  • marek314marek314 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree 100%. The AFK Penalty stinks and will never work they way they want it to. In any case I think the AFK Penalty needs to go - permenantly.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The AFK penalty won't ever work unless they pay staff to sit and monitor STF action and do it all manually. The best thing they could do if they really want to do something about this issue is to create a vote to kick option, but even that is stupid and not worth their time.

The AFK penalty no matter how they do it will cause way more problems then it ever could hope to solve. Just leave it as is, most people I think play the STF's with their fleet anyway and 99% of my teams are fleet members with once in a while where we can only find 4 who want to join and we have to get one random player.

It is not a big deal and all the AFK penalty will do is make it into a big deal. I wonder if Cryptic has ever heard the term "making a mountain out of a mole hill" because that is exactly what any attempt at implementing this AFK penalty will do.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    NECRO THREAD ALERT!!!!

No more posting. Starfleet security is on the way to deal with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
This discussion has been closed.