test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Uniform control for your crew!

Comments

• sharksinspacesharksinspace Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would be on board for an adding of this to the game. BTW us free to play aren't whiny, we just are lower on cash to spend on games than those who are gold plated and lifers. I ground for a week nostop to get 24th century Romulan uniform because that was what I wanted and every time I want something I'll grind for and that is the experience I've accepted in exchange for lacking money.
  • immanionimmanion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Another bump.

I'm a returning player from about a year ago (I played at launch) and am surprised this still isn't in game. I think the OP had a great solution - have the game pick the uniforms from your bridge crew (though I'd say not from your character's, and only from your currently active bridge crew).

The game already sets uniform colour by department, so let it instead match a crew member's uniform to that of the brige officer in the matching department.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Making the crew's uniforms match the player's boffs' outfits might cause a few issues. For instance, what if the player's only tac boffs are a Jem'Hadar and a Breen? Would all their tactical/security department crew have Jem'Hadar or Breen uniforms? Or would they instead default to what we have now? And what if the player's only sci boffs are a Borg and a Reman? I think you all get what I mean.

I think it'd be better if we could just customize the crew's uniforms by department, independent of the player's boff's uniforms.

In any case, I love the idea, even if it would mean having all my tactical crew in Breen uniforms. :D
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    admiralnat wrote: »
    Making the crew's uniforms match the player's boffs' outfits might cause a few issues. For instance, what if the player's only tac boffs are a Jem'Hadar and a Breen? Would all their tactical/security department crew have Jem'Hadar or Breen uniforms? Or would they instead default to what we have now? And what if the player's only sci boffs are a Borg and a Reman? I think you all get what I mean.

I think it'd be better if we could just customize the crew's uniforms by department, independent of the player's boff's uniforms.

In any case, I love the idea, even if it would mean having all my tactical crew in Breen uniforms. :D

yeah this i think would be best, since my Boff crew are wearing a ' head of department' uniform, with a metalic strip along the Department colour / main uniform transition line

i would prefer to be able to have this distinction avalible to me IF the feature is added
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Perhaps it's just me, but the "majority" of the uniforms are designed to be worn as "sets", with minor variations of color to indicate department.

Remember Blackavaar's color guides? How in the end it's all "one set of uniform colors" with the different departments marked in the "departmental color"?

Well, same here. Create one uniform, mandatory pants, and add a block to the color picker that says "department color". Combined with a table that lets you pick the department color - one for each of the 7 "departments" on the DH screen, and if the uniform uses multiple pallets then one block per pallet - and suddenly 75% of your crew (all males and the 50% of females that prefer pants) are dressed. Have a "subset" off the main uniform to create an optional skirt variant, and the remaining crew is dressed...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?WHEN?

Please? :(
  • immanionimmanion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Making the crew's uniforms match the player's boffs' outfits might cause a few issues. For instance, what if the player's only tac boffs are a Jem'Hadar and a Breen?

Very good point. I was hoping for a simple fix, but I can see how that would cause a problem. I guess we really do need to be able to edit them separately, which is more tricky and probably why it hasn't been prioritised.

Or maybe a method of allowing you to set a specific bridge officer to use as the template for each department. Perhaps where you set the department heads, a second picklist for each to allow you to set who to use for the uniform (defaulting to department head).
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Still, that could cause the same potential issue I mentioned earlier.

Instead, it could be set up so that the crew of each department would, rather than using a boff's outfit, use one of the player's saved outfits, similar to how one would add a fleet uniform to their fleet. Basically the same result as being able to customize the crew's department's uniforms directly.

The player would just open up the tailor for one of their character's outfits (or one of their boffs' outfits), make up the uniform they want for a particular department of their crew, save it, and then load the uniform to their crew's specific department. And then repeat for the crew's other departments. :D
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The player would just open up the tailor for one of their character's outfits (or one of their boffs' outfits), make up the uniform they want for a particular department of their crew, save it, and then load the uniform to their crew's specific department. And then repeat for the crew's other departments. :D

That's probably the simplest solution, with the added challenge that separate costumes need to be made for Males and Females (this is already the case for fleet outfits, even if you're not using gender-exclusive parts like skirts - some costume pieces just don't seem to work the same for both genders). So you'd have to have:
    • Tactical Male
    • Tactical Female
    • Security Male
    • Security Female
    • Engineering Male
    • Engineering Female
    • Operations Male
    • Operations Female
    • Science Male
    • Science Female

That's probably the most efficient way to do it, but it's also probably a non-trivial task.

And then we'd have to consider that various KDF species (and Remans) have their own special costume options, which no doubt many players would like to use with their crew. Making that happen would probably be a complete nightmare, and I could see Cryptic choosing to force KDF and Romulan crew members to stick with the standard uniform options.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, at this point I'd just like the option to remove the wandering NPCs. Whose idea was it to stuff ~100 of them in the hallways? The small interior looks ridiculous. Maybe they'll crank that down with the improved versions, but I'd still like the option to get rid of them entirely. From what I've seen, the Belfast interior has a real problem with doors opening constantly from random wanderers.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, at this point I'd just like the option to remove the wandering NPCs. Whose idea was it to stuff ~100 of them in the hallways? The small interior looks ridiculous. Maybe they'll crank that down with the improved versions, but I'd still like the option to get rid of them entirely. From what I've seen, the Belfast interior has a real problem with doors opening constantly from random wanderers.

It's fantastic when you're in the BoP interior and you have 250 NPC's in there. And then you activate one of those "Party Bomb" things........
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    piatmini wrote: »
    I would like to hear from one of the devs if this is still on the table to be developed :).

This has been talked about numerous times on the forum since the launch of STO. The response was that it would create too much hassle. The lasat thread that was created only just recently before this one that was created by me. Although everyone would like to see something like this happen, we are all in for a very long wait to see it happen.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    yeah this i think would be best, since my Boff crew are wearing a ' head of department' uniform, with a metalic strip along the Department colour / main uniform transition line

i would prefer to be able to have this distinction avalible to me IF the feature is added
    This. I have my alien security officer in a non-Starfleet uniform because RP-wise he's supposed to be former military police from a minor race hardly anyone's ever heard of.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It sure would be nice to have this feature (control of our crew uniforms). Please Cryptic, make it so!
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I completely agree with the OP. Control over crew uniforms would be a big improvement.

Tacking onto this idea that crew customization - being able to pick race and genders - for would be greatly appreciated too. I'd love to have an all Andorian or Vulcan crew - or for that matter, an all female crew (except for me - lol!) :D
    It shouldn't be that difficult for your crew to be picked based on the doffs you have... so if you have mostly Gorn doffs, with about 10% of doffs from other races, and walk your ship, you see around 90% Gorn walking around.

Go into your brig, and in the cells, you see a similar proportion based off your prisoners, etc...

Your extra non-boff bridge crew is drawn from your on-duty space doffs you have slotted, and hanging around the transporter room are your on-duty ground doffs, etc...

You go down to your medical department, and the injured doffs, are in the beds...

You can do a lot based just on the makeup of your doff crew...

It wouldn't be difficult to implement... at the time the NPC is rezzed up on your ship, it just has to look up the race/gender of a random doff in the appropriate department (medical dept, engineering dept, etc) with a 10% chance that the doff will be from a different department that just happens to be there for something...

NPCs in the hallway could be from any department, but favor (say, 10% higher chance) the departments found on that level. Operations officer, Engineering officer, etc, will of course always be from the appropriate department.

This kind of thing really isn't difficult to code at all... just simple branches and database lookup at a pseudo-random index. Elementary-level coding... it just needs someone motivated to actually do it...

Oh, and I agree with what someone else brought up earlier, about it being an unlockable (zen store) item. I'd be in favor of that.

NPC starbases (like ESD, UFP Academy, KDF Academy, K-7, Memory Alpha, etc) having a 50% preference for their own fleet uniform (100% for those NPC's who are actually working there and not just walking around)... so you end up with a proportion of cadets up on EST, particularly in the auditorium section...

Just so many relatively small things they could do quickly like this, that would end up having a large impact on our experience. Once the system to select the correct NPC is in place, the rest (which type NPC where) should be straightforward.

-- Smoov
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Totally agree to this. At the very least, they should let them wear what the Captain and his/her Bridge officers wear, since both those are customizable. I was like... why these people on my ship wear wrong uniforms...

So, totally supporting this idea! :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Add to OP's idea(which I totally love btw), give the option of changing/unifying species as well. Say all-Gorn for your Varanus, or all-Andorian for your Kumari.

Hell, even go all-out and add editable alien species too.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    It shouldn't be that difficult for your crew to be picked based on the doffs you have... so if you have mostly Gorn doffs, with about 10% of doffs from other races, and walk your ship, you see around 90% Gorn walking around.

Go into your brig, and in the cells, you see a similar proportion based off your prisoners, etc...

Your extra non-boff bridge crew is drawn from your on-duty space doffs you have slotted, and hanging around the transporter room are your on-duty ground doffs, etc...

You go down to your medical department, and the injured doffs, are in the beds...

You can do a lot based just on the makeup of your doff crew... (...)
    -- Smoov

These suggestions pop up rather often, but what you and most people don't get (I'm not trying to sound rude, so please forgive me if it does ^^) is that DOFFs don't "exist" in the game. At all. DOFFs are not actual entities, they are just trading cards in a static ingame menu. There is no purple borg technician runnning around in your ship, sick bay or brig.

Respectively, you don't even have such things. When you "visit your bridge" and run around in your ship you are not actually running around IN your ship. You are transported to a generic instance of a ship's interior. It's a completely seperate map that is neither in space nor has anything to do with what you do in the game - this is why we can never "command our ship from the bridge" either.

You can set certain parameters in that map, like the trophies in your ready room. I could imagine a option to set a generic uniform for the NPC entities that are created (at random btw, these are in no way, shape or form actual functioning crewmen) in those hallways. Though maybe not fully customizable but we could set maybe something like:

[ ] Use generic Starfleet crew
    [x] Use Starfleet Academy crew
    [ ] Use Bajoran crew

etc.

So you can use different random NPCs that appear in other social maps. That would at least be something.

Summary: Your ship and crew is FAKE. You won't ever see your DOFFs running around on the "ship interior" set, unfortunately.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    These suggestions pop up rather often, but what you and most people don't get (I'm not trying to sound rude, so please forgive me if it does ^^) is that DOFFs don't "exist" in the game. At all. DOFFs are not actual entities, they are just trading cards in a static ingame menu. There is no purple borg technician runnning around in your ship, sick bay or brig.

Respectively, you don't even have such things. When you "visit your bridge" and run around in your ship you are not actually running around IN your ship. You are transported to a generic instance of a ship's interior. It's a completely seperate map that is neither in space nor has anything to do with what you do in the game - this is why we can never "command our ship from the bridge" either.

You can set certain parameters in that map, like the trophies in your ready room. I could imagine a option to set a generic uniform for the NPC entities that are created (at random btw, these are in no way, shape or form actual functioning crewmen) in those hallways. Though maybe not fully customizable but we could set maybe something like:

[ ] Use generic Starfleet crew
    [x] Use Starfleet Academy crew
    [ ] Use Bajoran crew

etc.

So you can use different random NPCs that appear in other social maps. That would at least be something.

Summary: Your ship and crew is FAKE. You won't ever see your DOFFs running around on the "ship interior" set, unfortunately.

What you say is literally true.

And you seem to realize that the NPCs all seem to wear the same uniform - all Fed Engies wear a Gold Antares variant, while all Fed Ops officers wear Gold Sierras... Etc. Etc.

Which then beggars the question - why are we limiting ourselves to drawing from Cryptic's pre-generated uniform pile? Especially when there exists a source of player-generated and pre-saved uniforms (aka the player's BOffs)? Many of us see only two problems, both rooted in "inappropriateness": 1 - Put a lady as DH with a skirt. See men in mini-kilts. 2 - Put in a BOff that's "inappropriate" for Starfleet such as the Borg Sci, Reman, Breen, J'H, Marauder, etc.

Solutions: 1 - add an "opposite sex leg" slot to each DH slot, so that the men know what pants to wear if the DH has a skirt (or ladies that want skirts know what to wear when the BOff wears pants). 2 - "lock out" all "uniform-limited" BOffs from the department head options (which reminds me, why am I allowed to have a "senior staff" consisting of: Breen & J'H Tac, Reman & (accolade) Liberated Borg Sci, and (C-Store) Liberated Borg and appropriately-selected Orion Engie?)

Granted, at this point, the "staff" will still be random, but the uniforms will look the part.

Adding these departmental uniform slots to the fleet interface somewhere will allow the fleet holdings to divert off Cryptic's generic piles and allow fleet customization. To top it off, if the player gets a new flag - pick department - fleet leadership could be given a flag on each rank that says "mandate this rank wear the fleet uniform on fleet holdings" and bingo - when you have a fleet meeting at the fleet base, everyone's in their fleet uniform...

Yeah, both options require some work, but can give a lot of what is desired quickly, and with "little" new overhead...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • enyinayaenyinaya Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Come to think of it, someone might have mentioned this before, but I sense Ship Interior Reputation Projects that cost Dilithium in the near future.
    This are empty!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    enyinaya wrote: »
    Come to think of it, someone might have mentioned this before, but I sense Ship Interior Reputation Projects that cost Dilithium in the near future.
    This is what I want for Festivus. Right here. Even if I get nothing else under the pole.
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If they care at all about those details, lockbox ships would have interiors...
    edited October 2013
    lter wrote: »
    If they care at all about those details, lockbox ships would have interiors...

That's the point. We hear that Cryptic absolutely wants to improve ship interiors though they did exactly nothing in that regard since the game launched. I mean half of my bridge officers don't even SIT on their chair but are clipping halfway through it and stick in the floor. So we can safely assume that they just... don't do it. Plain and simple :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2013
    You're missing the point... that we make the doffs, EXIST. (my point anyways) and even tho they don't exist, the array can still be used with a randomizer to select a sampling of your "doff crew" to be represented by the npc's roaming around your ship.

Snipping the rest of the message cuz you're just further insulting people's intelligence with it.

I mean, you make it sound like you think other people posting their ideas about this, actually believe their ships and crews are all real, and alive somewhere. Of course we know this is all fake. What do you take us for? The majority of what people have suggested is very doable. It simply needs to be coded to do so. It is just code and textures rendered in a simulated 3-dimensional representation on a 2-dimensional grid, same as any other graphics. Nothing special about it whatsoever.

-- Smoov
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    /signed

/10char
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This would be awesome, we might get lucky and have it come with customizable bridges.
    edited October 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    You're missing the point... that we make the doffs, EXIST. (my point anyways) and even tho they don't exist, the array can still be used with a randomizer to select a sampling of your "doff crew" to be represented by the npc's roaming around your ship.

Snipping the rest of the message cuz you're just further insulting people's intelligence with it.

I mean, you make it sound like you think other people posting their ideas about this, actually believe their ships and crews are all real, and alive somewhere. Of course we know this is all fake. What do you take us for? The majority of what people have suggested is very doable. It simply needs to be coded to do so. It is just code and textures rendered in a simulated 3-dimensional representation on a 2-dimensional grid, same as any other graphics. Nothing special about it whatsoever.

-- Smoov

Excuse me, but I think you did not understand what I was trying to say. Being not a native English speaker I might have made a mistake on something, however.

I neverhought anyone had the impression ht their video game charcters are real and assuming that was my intention you are totally missing my point. I said that people seem to make the misassumption that the DOFF system is in some kind tied to the rest of the game which is simply not the point. The DOFF system is just a colourfull ingame menu that grants you a chance on certain boni after a timer ran out. But nothing keeps track on what "DOFFs" you actually have on that ship you are controlling in this game because there isn't even a ship to begin with. Your ship interior is an generic instance that just simulates "your ship" but it is essentially the same map for everyone in this game. This is why you cannot individualize that map because it is a shared resource.

That's why I don't think it is possible that every player can customize their own interior as the result would be a huge drain on server and developer resources. What could be done however, at least as far as I understand, is a setting that lets us use different sets of generic NPCs that these instances create. So you could maybe set a option that lets your ship interior be populated by "Starfleet Academy" NPCs because those assets are already in the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited October 2013
    Excuse me, but I think you did not understand what I was trying to say. Being not a native English speaker I might have made a mistake on something, however.
    It is not a shared resource.

When you are "on your ship" you are in your own instance, that isn't shared with anybody else, unless you choose to invite someone onto your ship instance.

Further, the only thing that is stopping NPC's from being replaced with different ones, is the lack of a routine that will spawn the NPC's that picks a race and gender at random from your list of doffs, instead of the pre-defined list as it is now.

This is child's play to code. This is nothing at all difficult.

Your character isn't known by the system as "angrytarg"... it is known by #9871860946 or UUID:<hex>-<hex>-<more-hex>, etc.

So, if you decided to go to your ship interior, then when your instance is launched, and it gets to the part of the code that spawns the npc's, instead of using a fixed list, it would pick a doff at random, from your list of doffs associated with index #9871860946 (which would be your character) and use the race/gender/specialty from that, to pick the NPC.

It would then repeat that as much as needed until it considers your ship populated (or full)... say, 25 NPC's... if you have mostly Andorian doffs, then when you wander your ship, you'd notice more Andorians on board than the others.

If I went to my interior, it would do the same thing, except pick from index #9711921663 (which would be my character).

If I invited you to my bridge, since it would be my instance, then you would see the crew wandering around my ship, to be based on my DOFF makeup.

NPC's aren't fixed items to a map like a piece of furniture is. All you need to do to change the appearance of an NPC, is to change the index number for the NPC you want to have rendered.

This is very basic stuff.

Your argument amounts to "This is how it is", while the rest of us are arguing "This is what we'd like it to be"... we already know how it is, so you're not offering anything to the conversation, but stating the obvious... the exact obvious, that we are wanting to change.

Understand now?
    But nothing keeps track on what "DOFFs" you actually have on that ship you are controlling in this game because there isn't even a ship to begin with.
    The "ship" itself isn't relevant here. The system absolutely does keep track of what doffs you have for your character, or you wouldn't be able to have your own doffs to begin with.

Nobody is suggesting that they be tied to a specific ship, but to your character, as far as ships go. If you change to a different ship, so does your "crew"... notice how the NPCs representing your BOFFs change when you change your BOFF assignments? They are personalized to you. Extending this to DOFFs as well, would be mostly the same thing, except it is looking up to a different index.

(Cryptic can put in whatever NPC's at will they want to everywhere else. The Risian rep that hung around on ESD and First City during the summer event was proof of that if you need it.)

-- Smoov
    edited October 2013
    I know that the ship interior is created individually but the map is a shared one. As far as I understand it there are three interior maps. "Large", "Medium" and "Small" and everyone visiting their ship spawns an instance of one of those three maps and what NPCs are spawned on that map is most likely tied to the map itself rather than the player. So a fed ship interior spawns "generic starfleet crew" while the academy spawns "generic academy crew". If everyone was to customize that instance with custom uniforms, wouldn't the servers have to keep track each of those maps instead of just spawning the generic one? I imagine that this means a ton of workload for the servers which already crumble under the weight they bear.

When you take a look at ship interiors right now you will notice that not even the bridges function as intended. At least on my bridge, since I started playing that game pre F2P, my BOFFs don't even sit on their chairs but clip halfway through the floor. With this level of effort used on ship interiors I don't think it is likely that Cryptic will invest resources and recode the whole interior to be tied to DOFFs and custom uniforms. It would be cool but I don't think that is likely.
    lFC4bt2.gif