test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Uniform control for your crew!

pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
I have been playing STO now for more than a year and one thing that continues to bug me is the fact that the automatically generated crew (FED or KDF) always wear the same uniform (unless you're talking about the Constitution bridge/interior from the TOS pack ... in which case most of the auto-generated crew wears TOS uniforms).

I know we cannot have manual control over how every NPC looks, but it seems like there is a "simple" fix that would make the experience of walking around on your ship MUCH better: Make the auto-generated characters pick from uniforms worn by the Captain or the Bridge Officers.

My uniform and the uniforms of my bridge crew look EXACTLY like what I want my entire crew to wear. I know it would require some developer time, but it seems reasonable to have the NPC crew wear whatever the male/female bridge crew are wearing.

It really spoils the experience to walk around on your ship and see people wearing the "wrong" uniforms.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
Post edited by pweistheworst on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Your right. It does sound reasonable. Maybe in another three years.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I know, the team at PWE and Cryptic have a MASSIVE list of stuff they are working on. Heck, STO has been around for almost three years now and I've seen a ton of things role out within the last 12 months that I thought would have been in place since day one.

Clearly, building a universe as complex and detailed as Star Trek in a game involves countless hours of work, and I know there are larger projects that have to take priority; like new seasons/episodes, new ships (we're still missing some cool FED ships and my KDF characters won't object to more Klingon ships as well) and fixing bugs in the current game.

Still, I think many players would be happier walking around their ships if the crew was dressed the same as the bridge officers.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • piatminipiatmini Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been hoping for this since the game started too. They have said a couple of times that they are working on it, but still haven't seen anything concrete come out of it yet. Hope to soon.
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been playing STO now for more than a year and one thing that continues to bug me is the fact that the automatically generated crew (FED or KDF) always wear the same uniform (unless you're talking about the Constitution bridge/interior from the TOS pack ... in which case most of the auto-generated crew wears TOS uniforms).

I know we cannot have manual control over how every NPC looks, but it seems like there is a "simple" fix that would make the experience of walking around on your ship MUCH better: Make the auto-generated characters pick from uniforms worn by the Captain or the Bridge Officers.

My uniform and the uniforms of my bridge crew look EXACTLY like what I want my entire crew to wear. I know it would require some developer time, but it seems reasonable to have the NPC crew wear whatever the male/female bridge crew are wearing.

It really spoils the experience to walk around on your ship and see people wearing the "wrong" uniforms.

If they put the feature in a Lock box as a reward, they you would have it by the end of the week.

SO..... make all C-store ships have this option. Or make "Uniform Compliance Officer" a Zen-store unlock.

Basically, if they can't monetize it they will not put any resources into it.

Beers,

Jengoz =/

"Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • wilkinson7wilkinson7 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've been saying this since day 1, when I noticed the random crew members all wearing the terrible Sierra or Antares uniforms, while myself and my Bridge Officers all looked different. Seems like a simple option to me.
  • alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I totally agree with this idea. Been wishing for this myself. Even if it's as simple as copying one of the Boffs.. It would be even nicer to let us distinguish a male/female variant for the crew. I have purchased the Mirror Universe set and would love to see my crew sporting it. :)
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would also like the option to clothe the rest of the crew like my character and my BOffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've mentioned this as part of the ship interior revamp proposal - see sig links.

And while we're at it, I'd also like the ability to change the appearance of ship interior DOff contacts using a tailor interface (either to create a whole new costume, or to use the appearance and name of one of my existing BOffs).
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    here here! please please please let this happen...please? :3
  • morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with this idea, been wanting something like it for a long time.
  • emperorandyemperorandy Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, as long as we're updating the tailor for LoR, please make this a new feature where you can set the default male and female crew uniforms.

And a little more specification would be great, too. For instance, if I want my medical staff to dress differently than my science officers.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I completely agree with the OP. Control over crew uniforms would be a big improvement.

Tacking onto this idea that crew customization - being able to pick race and genders - for would be greatly appreciated too. I'd love to have an all Andorian or Vulcan crew - or for that matter, an all female crew (except for me - lol!) :D
  • masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i agree, if you walk on your bridge or corridors it doesn't feel like your ship, that's a shame.

this are the thinks cryptic need to do.

uniform costumization option for the crew on your ship
    Interior costumization option
    Lcars options
    edited April 2013
    I'd love to have an all Andorian or Vulcan crew - or for that matter, an all female crew (except for me - lol!) :D

There's an idea that most of the male players of STO can get behind! ;)

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    Heck yes - this would be awesome.

3 settings would be nice:
    1. Day uniforms
    2. Away team, exploration
    3. Away team, combat
  • leeanthonyivleeanthonyiv Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am always tinkering with the uniform combination to come up with the "right" feel for my adventures.
    I may not like alot of the choices (Anteres, etc.) But I agree, I would like my crew to wear the same uniform as me and my staff.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Considering the "save uniform" tech they have now, it's definitely possible, at least.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A great idea but as the devs still haven't spelt 'continue' in the rescue the freighter daily mission that has been spelt wrong for years and still haven't corrected it for the romulan missions, I won't be holding my breath for this to happen.
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd only vouch for it if I was able to adjust both species and actually wearing a uniform at all.

For instance, it'd be nice to actually have a random mix of off-duty pieces for my crew.
    Why? So I could roleplay as a mercenary or hell, a freighter trader. Which would be decent.
    In actuality, I know this work well for the majority of the unaligned Klingon Defense Force.

As in the Nausicaans, Orions, Letheans, Ferasans, Aliens- hell even some Gorn I suppose. :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Customizable ship crew (uniforms, race/gender, etc) had been on the agenda some time back, but seems to have fallen off the radar. I'd like to get enough support for this to put it back on the agenda. The ideal thing, to me anyway, would be something similar to "the tailor" but with half a dozen or so presets for crew members, to basically replace the preset crew members that are currently on your ship.

Also, I think it would be appropriate for the NPCs on the fleet starbase to be wearing the fleet uniform.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely, last time this came up was last year wasn't it. As you customise all the boffs, would be nice to do the same to the rest of the crew. Just one option for each department, or maybe based off the department head's uniform? Is it really a difficult issue?

Though this issue is probably liked to a general overhaul of ship interior, to be able to change engineering design and so on.
    edited May 2013
    I would like to hear from one of the devs if this is still on the table to be developed :).
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hell yes, totally agree. In fact, I have an addition to make;

Unlock the outfit tabs for Bridge Officers, so that KDF Boffs can get helmetless Honor Guard outfits for the Bridge officers and Starfleet can use the MACO and Omega outfits. There's absolutely no good reason for the outfit tab to be locked to "Uniform" when you can see full well that the MACO/Omega/KHG armor-outfits work on Boffs - so let us customise them already!

Additionally, the team who did the Romulan ship interiors really need to put their talent to use on the Fed/KDF ship interiors.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad many players are still wanting this and I hope the devs can make it happen (after they fix the server issues).

Now that I'm playing a Romulan Commander wearing the TOS Romulan uniform and my BOffs wear the TOS Romulan uniform I really, REALLY want the rest of the crew wearing the TOS Romulan uniform as well.

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    I've mentioned this as part of the ship interior revamp proposal - see sig links.

And while we're at it, I'd also like the ability to change the appearance of ship interior DOff contacts using a tailor interface (either to create a whole new costume, or to use the appearance and name of one of my existing BOffs).

Please. :'(
    edited June 2013
    The tailor interface would be great... another interesting feature (though perhaps more difficult to implement) would be to actually have your DOffs on the ship, so you'd actually see people walking around (in your customized ship uniform) matching the race/gender/name of the various DOffs you have in your roster. Again, still hoping for a dev comment on this.
    edited June 2013
    piatmini wrote: »
    The tailor interface would be great... another interesting feature (though perhaps more difficult to implement) would be to actually have your DOffs on the ship, so you'd actually see people walking around (in your customized ship uniform) matching the race/gender/name of the various DOffs you have in your roster. Again, still hoping for a dev comment on this.

I imagine that would be MUCH harder to code ... but in a perfect role playing world it would indeed be AWESOME if our DOffs appear as our crew rather than just randomly generated NPCs.

• shepard31shepard31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Uniform control was one of the first things I wanted when I started playing STO. When I got my first Boffs all customized, I visited my bridge only to find *gasp* other officers wearing the rather ugly Anteres uniforms.

I really like the Odyssey uniform, and I'd love to have it as a standard uniform for my crew. Choosing races and gender would be icing on the cake.

But at the same time, perhaps the bridge seating could be fixed. I'm tired of my first officer sitting halfway through the floor of my Destiny bridge, two feet in front of her seat. That, and EVERY officer in a chair floating almost a foot above the actual seat. Being able to choose what seats your officers are in would be a nice customization bonus.
    [2:52:49 AM] Magic Odd Effect: Dancer and the Dickslaps
    [2:52:52 AM] Magic Odd Effect: what a band name

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Indeed I must insist on these changes. If you are to spend 550 zen on these things I believe the value of them should be stretched as far as possible. Race and gender would be so very wonderful as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
    edited July 2013
    Just a small update in case there are any devs who read these threads.

I recently decided to purchase a lifetime subscription to STO in addition to purchasing the LARGE ($50+ per month) amount of Zen every month that I have been doing for the last year. I believe in supporting STO and the people making it and I believe that support should involve my financial contributions.

I hope the devs who read these posts understand that it's not just whining F2Pers asking for game/art improvements like these.

Players who are actually spending a large amount of our pay checks are trying to get the devs to incorporate changes that will improve the game ... even if it's just improving the player "immersion" by making it possible to customize the uniforms for the rest of the crew.