test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Science Love

jaguarman1234jaguarman1234 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Romulan Discussion
So I've noticed that there is absolutely no choice for Romulan captains who want to fly a science ship but to fly the Ha'nom as a T5 ship. All things being equal, it is unfortunate that even the Klingons (who in canon aren't exactly the most focused on scientific research) have choices for science vessels, including full carriers (which would be nice). I know there is the Temporal Science Vessel, but I don't really feel like that is a Romulan ship. The primary reason I enjoy playing my Romulan faction characters is the unique nature of using the singularity powers and coping with the reduced power levels. Taking away the singularity core from the Romulan version of the TSV has removed all desire I had to play that ship. Plenty of people will say the Romulan singularity powers make it impractical for Cryptic to add even more science abilites to a ship, to that I must disagree. The singularity powers lock out all of the other powers for up to one minute. A minute is an eternity in much of the end game content.

Alas, I'm sure this will just be ignored by the Devs and Community Managers as a whining post about a lack of *BLANK* for my particular *BLANK* and that it isn't fair that I can't do what I want to do. None the less, I'm just saying it would be great to have some degree of choice in ships, since they were lazy and stuck the Dreadnaught Warbirds with the exact same BOff layout regardless of the type of ship it is.

*Edit Below*
Also, the Ha'nom is slower than any other T5 Science ship in the other factions, including the carriers which is just sad really.
Post edited by jaguarman1234 on

Comments

• Options
    torinthitorinthi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I fully agree, they need to add at least one or two more Science ships, with different variety to really allow players to have their own build, instead of having every single Romulan Science Captain flying the exact same ship because it's the only one available.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click the signature to enter a world of wonder!
  • Options
    dontirridontirri Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hear Hear. I had planned to make my third toon a Rom Sci to round out the group, but when I found out about the lack of viable choices in Rom Sci department, I just rolled a Fed instead and my first Rom had to wait a long time until I finally got around to it.

I mean, Cryptic HAD a CANON Romulan Science Ship to use, had they not made it a Commanders Gig skin choice... But yeah. More love for Romulan Science. (Heck, Sci in general)
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    *coughT'VAROcough*
  • Options
    torinthitorinthi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    *coughT'VAROcough*

*Cough* Not a Science Ship in the slightest *Cough*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click the signature to enter a world of wonder!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I meant a dedicated science ship, with the commander level ability. Not a Tac/Sci, I can make a beefier Tac/Sci with my Science version Dreadnaught
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd really like to see them take the ar'kif/ar'kala and make additional science and engineer versions of it (with slightly modified appearances), and allow the parts to all be interchangeable.

The ar'kif is the only ship (sans the veteran/lifetime sub ship) that is actually stated to be built by the romulan republic. For a group that has limited resources, personnel, and facilities, it seems to me that making a single modular ship design would be far more viable and efficient than making numerous new ship designs.

As anyone who's been in military design will tell you, it really doesnt cost 30 billion dollars to make a jetfighter or a c130. The initial development and design may have taken that much, but the individual craft are relatively inexpensive by comparison. Research and development are where the cost and time are.

The ar'kif/ar'kala are already amazing looking designs, and at least lore/IP-wise the ship has proven itself to the republic. I think it'd be awesome to have variants of it for science and engineering. New consoles and such arent needed either, they could all come with the focused singularity beam (and quad cannons on the ar'kala) and use the same set bonus that entails. All that needs changed is the consoles, weapon slots, boff seating, and base stats.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dontirri wrote: »
    Hear Hear. I had planned to make my third toon a Rom Sci to round out the group, but when I found out about the lack of viable choices in Rom Sci department, I just rolled a Fed instead and my first Rom had to wait a long time until I finally got around to it.

I mean, Cryptic HAD a CANON Romulan Science Ship to use, had they not made it a Commanders Gig skin choice... But yeah. More love for Romulan Science. (Heck, Sci in general)

I agree. They screwed the pooch when they decided to NOT have the Apnex from "The Next Phase" (TNG) an actual T3 and T5 ship. The stupid thing is, they still could, but refuse to.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited October 2013
    The Ha'Nom may be the slowest Sci ship but it's also the only one with a cloaking device, and a battle cloak at that.

I think they will release a Carrier and a Science Vessel soon enough, This is a new faction and they haven't released everything yet.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    torinthi wrote: »
    doesn't it have a fleet variant that is?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    doesn't it have a fleet variant that is?

The Fleet T'Varo lets you do a number of useful SCI abilities while still taking advantage of the Enh.Battle Cloak, but for pure science abilities, its lackluster. You can't have Cmdr level SCI with it, and it only has 3 SCI Console Slots.

The KDF BOPs have the same console number issues, but at least they can be truly custom configured in their BOFF assignments.

With the T'Varo, SCI is more of a supporting asset compared to its truly TAC oriented styling, which the Fleet version further reinforces.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    not to mention for certain builds, having the built in subsystem targeting is kind of a critical component, there are work arounds, but it is frustrating to say the least.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh come on. Its LTC universal gives it flexibility and you can set it up as a sciscort. The enhanced battlecloak was made for science abilities.

Sure it lacks the commander science boff a dedicated science ship would have. It also lacks the innate subsystem targeting attacks and sensor analysis. But other than the first one, why are those valuable anyway? Innate subsystem attacks are garbage, and sensor analysis isn't that great either. I'll take an enhanced battlecloak over those any day.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    Where the hell is the Romulan scout ship?
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    dontirridontirri Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh come on. Its LTC universal gives it flexibility and you can set it up as a sciscort. The enhanced battlecloak was made for science abilities.

Sure it lacks the commander science boff a dedicated science ship would have. It also lacks the innate subsystem targeting attacks and sensor analysis. But other than the first one, why are those valuable anyway? Innate subsystem attacks are garbage, and sensor analysis isn't that great either. I'll take an enhanced battlecloak over those any day.

No. The EBC was made for torpedo launching. The Retrofit B'rel was designed to have the EBC long before Romulans were a thing and it was based off of Chang's BoP in ST:VI. Iow, Torpedo Launching.

And you clearly can't read. The OP was NOT asking for a Sciscort. He was asking for a DEDICATED SCIENCE SHIP. And trust me, Cmdr Sci is a pretty big part of that. As is the Sensor Analysis. Learn to read before responding any further please.
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I'd love to see a full Romulan science ship that isn't ha'nom or ha'apax based (no offense to the artists, those ships just aren't my thing). Something with Cmdr Sci, Lt. Com Tac, Lt. Eng, Lt. Uni, and Ens Sci, 12-13 turn and all the usual romulan and sci ship features.
  • Options
    billguarnerebillguarnere Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes It would be great if the Romulans would get a proper Science vessel as they don't really have on yet.
    Ashley.png
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes It would be great if the Romulans would get a proper Science vessel as they don't really have on yet.

How is the Hanom/Fleet Hanom not a proper sci ship?
    Cmdr and lt Cmdr sci boff, 4 sci consoles, 5 for fleet version, sensor analysis, system targeting, and only one that cloaks on top of that. If that isn't a proper sci ship, no other sci ship the feds have are either, because that's what they all do.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    billguarnerebillguarnere Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    How is the Hanom/Fleet Hanom not a proper sci ship?
    Cmdr and lt Cmdr sci boff, 4 sci consoles, 5 for fleet version, sensor analysis, system targeting, and only one that cloaks on top of that. If that isn't a proper sci ship, no other sci ship the feds have are either, because that's what they all do.

I was talking in the sence of apart from that one, All romulan captains wanting to fly a science ship are forced to fly the 1 ship. Would be great if romulan captains had a bigger choice of science ships. Tac captains got a rather big choice of ships, so why not make 1 or 2 more ships that are proper science ships.
    Ashley.png
  • Options
    oculushomunculusoculushomunculus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I see a lot of talk about Tac captains being better in a Tac ship, Engi better in an Engi ship, and Science better in a Science ship.

But is not the only functional difference between them the 5 or so space specific abilities you get as a captain (Photonic fleet, Nadion inversion, Fire on my mark, etc) and the two traits unique to each one?

Can't you get every BoFF with any ability just by trading to another captain to train?

I ask as I am struggling to choose between Engineering and Science Captains as a romulan. Two favorite ships are the Ha'Nom and the Haakona.
  • Options
    oculushomunculusoculushomunculus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    roll a sci, get a leech console, done.
    no reason to roll engie, especially on rom ships that are hit & run/ambush focussed.
    hence their having all the cloak damage bonuses but having lower inherent defence values, making them hit harder in bursts but more squishy in a fight.

See, that's what I mean?

What is the functional difference between Engi and Sci captains that makes you say Science is the best choice? I could get all the same BoFF's as an Engie, the only difference would be a couple powers like EPS vs having Subnucleonic.

Seems like practically negligible differences.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Where the hell is the Romulan scout ship?

It has already made it into the game as the "Commander's Gig" also known as the veteran shuttle. That I am happy about. What angers me is that yes, the model was modified and used for the Science Ship (called Apnex in Apocrypha) in "The Next Phase" (TNG). The visual Department specifically used forced perspective to make the ship look like it was about 1/3 the size of the Galaxy-class U.S.S. Enterprise-D. I fail to see why they cannot add that ship. So there would be two ships in the game that look the same just scaled differently. Big freaking deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    ...So there would be two ships in the game that look the same just scaled differently...

It would be easy for the artists, and no excuse they are busy designing other ships.
  • Options
    aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My mains have been science captains since beta... I have tactical and engineer alts, but find them lackluster.
    Go Science captain in a T'Varo. Use the universal spot for an additional science BOFF.
    You won't get tier 4 science abilities, but all that extra firepower, advanced cloak, and destabilized plasma torp more than make up for it.
    Most fun I've had in the game yet.
    Even if/when they do introduce an end-game science ship, I'll most likely stay in my T'Varo.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This thread is not asking for advice on a Science build for Tulwar, T'Varo, Dhelan or other Tac based ship.

It's not asking which ship and build is best for DPS.

It's asking for a Romulan Warbird - complete with singularity core and battle cloak - that has a Cmdr Sci Boff, SubS Targeting, sensor analysis, sci ship shield modifier, etc. As in, a Romulan Science Warbird.

Other ship classes and sci ships in the other factions - even if it's severly limited - offer a choice when it comes to Boff seating (ie ships). Rom science simply does not have this, not even in the form of a single ensign level universal boff station.

Where is the universal boff slot on the fleet Ha'nom?

Lock Box ships do not count for any faction for the sole reason that their availability is theoretically limited.

As for 'be patient', go talk to the Klingons about that...
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This thread is not asking for advice on a Science build for Tulwar, T'Varo, Dhelan or other Tac based ship.

It's not asking which ship and build is best for DPS.

It's asking for a Romulan Warbird - complete with singularity core and battle cloak - that has a Cmdr Sci Boff, SubS Targeting, sensor analysis, sci ship shield modifier, etc. As in, a Romulan Science Warbird.

Other ship classes and sci ships in the other factions - even if it's severly limited - offer a choice when it comes to Boff seating (ie ships). Rom science simply does not have this, not even in the form of a single ensign level universal boff station.

Where is the universal boff slot on the fleet Ha'nom?

Lock Box ships do not count for any faction for the sole reason that their availability is theoretically limited.

As for 'be patient', go talk to the Klingons about that...
    KDF players are anxious because they get less new stuff than other factions. Patience is pretty much the only viable option here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am in agreement that the Romulan faction only has 4 Science based ships..1 (Ha'nom) You can select at tier 5, 1 if you have a fleet high enough with 4 Fleet Modules (Fleet Ha'nom), and 2 from lockboxes(Mirror Ha'nom & Temporal Science Vessel).

It would be nice if there was more variaty in the Science field of ships with their Battle cloak.

But I guess, just like how the KDF is disgruntled with True Science ships, Romulans will also have to be Disgruntled because the Federation has more, and more then likely will have more, Science ships then the other two factions combined. :(

Would have been nice if they had allowed Romulans access to the Tier 5+ ships of the other factions as well. Would have then made them more versitile.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013

want some water bro O_o your cough sounds deadly :O
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    *coughT'VAROcough*

Here some meds for your cough should help
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    roll a sci, get a leech console, done.
    no reason to roll engie, especially on rom ships that are hit & run/ambush focussed.
    hence their having all the cloak damage bonuses but having lower inherent defence values, making them hit harder in bursts but more squishy in a fight.

so you going to tell this guy to not roll engineer huh O_o... well I seen this good fed enginer my friend fly's he hits pretty hard and does really well... .. funny how quickly you judge them .. He uses the wells and hits pretty hard and its the science ship fed side... and he does awesome job I dueled him few times he is really good ..