test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

shaderCache.hogg slowing down your Launcher's patching?

Hi Captains,

If you notice that the file "shaderCache.hogg" has been taking longer to patch, feel free to delete the file "shaderCache.hogg" from this location (or the location similar that holds the '\Star Trek Online\' folder):

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

Next time you launch the game, before the character select screen, it will automatically put the latest version of the file back into the above listed folder, and *should* allow for the file to patch much faster in the future.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    or for those of us using Steam:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\cache
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • trekie564trekie564 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thanks. i'll try it.
    this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP, everyone.
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Might be worth stickying this thread, branflakes.
  • gabesoutogabesouto Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll try it anyway, just to be on the safe side. :o
  • rollabobrollabob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just tried this to correct my issues. I open the patched file window with ctrl x and I watch the ShaderCache file download to 100 percent hang for a couple milliseconds then start the download again on an infinite loop.

Tried force verify and redownloading the launcher and all the usual tricks but still no dice. This happens to me about once a week and it is always a patch that just lists server stability in the notes. The only solution I have found so far is to uninstall and reinstall the game which is getting both tiresome and bandwith heavy.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just deleted the entire cache folder and it not only speed up my loading but got rid of the shader error as well, perhaps the devs updated the shaders and game still tried to use the cache and it was generating errors. I have also noticed soft particles also causes more glitches than its worth (esp since it drops performance), including stuffing up earths atmosphere at certain angles and causing AA to draw a huge ugly border around stuff in certain areas. (Edit: oops my bad nothing to do with AA, thought it was, but a perfect place to see the effects of the border is in the shiny nebula to the left orbiting earth (as in place your ship in it)).

Edit (a few weeks after): actually I am not sure that it got rid of the shader error since doing the same thing on tribble (with the cache folder) didn't fix it, perhaps I was confused between the two at the time.
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • gavriil1983gavriil1983 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

just saw this post. TY for the tip! definitely a better result (I'm testing by patching tribble)!
  • lee22874lee22874 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Hey Branflakes,
    My client just started doing this and I tried to fix it your way and still not working!
  • tongi02tongi02 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The weird thing is that I could access the Tribble and Champions with np problem...It's getting back into STO is the BIG problem!:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • bottle0rumbottle0rum Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This doesn't work. I still redownload shadercache.hogg EVERY time there's a patch. And it ALWAYS slows the patcher down to a crawl. Is there a reason this file is patched every time there's a patch? And why does it slow down to a crawl?

Another issue I have is, why is it that every computer I have looked at with a copy of the game installed has .hogg files of differing sizes. All of them are patched to the newest version yet not a single one has the same size files. Why is that?

That's some wacky patcher y'all have there, so any ideas as to when it'll get fixed? I mean, it has this problem in all Cryptic games and it's been around since at least 2009 in Champions Online.
  • halfpint71kyhalfpint71ky Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi Captains,

If you notice that the file "shaderCache.hogg" has been taking longer to patch, feel free to delete the file "shaderCache.hogg" from this location (or the location similar that holds the '\Star Trek Online\' folder):

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

Next time you launch the game, before the character select screen, it will automatically put the latest version of the file back into the above listed folder, and *should* allow for the file to patch much faster in the future.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Please can some one explain how I am suppose to do this... not everyone understands the lingo... i still can't get in and i don't know what you guys are saying its all greek to me... help please it would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • rammaniac#8662 rammaniac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Im stuck at 66% even after deleting these files, it is not working for me.
    [=/\= ================= =/\=]
    Asset Steven Kenter
    Section 31 - Beta Squad
    Current Mission: [Classified]
    Current Location: [Classified]
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This didn't work. Still stuck at 64%. What else ya got Brandon? :)
  • larkkylarkky Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tried your fix, looked for others, still can't get the launcher to patch beyond 65%.

I recently bought and transferred ZEN to STO that I now can't spend on it because I can't get into the game! This is extremely frustrating! :mad:

I really need a resolution to this issue!
  • intrepidfox03intrepidfox03 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I unfortunately am having this issue as well. Deleted said file, yet it is now hanging with that file again trying to DL. Worried about missing out on my shards. Thanks.
  • ccintronccintron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same issue. Have deleted the "shadeCache.hogg" a few times but still get the stall at 65%.
  • d0vahki11nd0vahki11n Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Stuck at 65% too, same as ccintron. Ctrl-X shows the patcher is wanting to re-download the shaderCache.hogg file, but there's just nothing happening.
    2015_10_17_181_01bcccf5619c5811eb14_1.jpg
  • strokeofluckstrokeofluck Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Deleting the file did nothing for me either. I disabled the "Patch via proxy" from launcher options, and then the download worked fine. Don't know if that will help anyone, but it magically worked for me.
  • alphaminalphamin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Eagerly awaited the patch today in the hope that it might clear this issue, but no, the patcher still keeps trying to download the .hogg file over and over and over until the client gets and error 14. Then the whole process begins over again.

I really cant keep on downloading that same bit of data as I'm on a terribly small monthly bandwidth allowance. Can anyone official comment on how much, if any progress has been made diagnosing this issue?

Has anyone in the community come up with a fix?

Thanks for reading!
  • spaldynz83spaldynz83 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Adding my voice to this. Deleting the .hogg didn't help. Process as follows:
    • Deleted the .hogg from cache
    • Started the launcher and logged in
    • Began patching and user opened the transfer dialog with CTRL-X
    • Only thing transfering was the .hogg
    • Waited until it reached 100%, then sighed inwardly as it went back to 0%

In a previous watch of the dialog, I noted that at one point, once the .hogg had completed the state went to "WAIT_FILE". Interestingly, the .hogg was not transferred to my system, and did not exist in my cache folder. Of course, as Branflakes points out, that may not be the case until I actually get next to the character selection screen...

...which doesn't look to be too soon. :(
    -- I really like parentheses (for some reason).
  • bottle0rumbottle0rum Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bottle0rum wrote: »
    This doesn't work. I still redownload shadercache.hogg EVERY time there's a patch. And it ALWAYS slows the patcher down to a crawl. Is there a reason this file is patched every time there's a patch? And why does it slow down to a crawl?

Another issue I have is, why is it that every computer I have looked at with a copy of the game installed has .hogg files of differing sizes. All of them are patched to the newest version yet not a single one has the same size files. Why is that?

That's some wacky patcher y'all have there, so any ideas as to when it'll get fixed? I mean, it has this problem in all Cryptic games and it's been around since at least 2009 in Champions Online.

This problem has come back. Deleting shadercache.hogg does absolutely NOTHING to alleviate the problem.
  • tyrialdhtyrialdh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    OK im going to start spamming this until i get a damn responce. I have done EVERYTHING the forums recommends, except for deleting shadercache.hogg, bacause the file doesn't download at all so there is no file to delete, if you cant figure it out and its any help, i have not played the game yet, so its not an old download being updated its pretty fresh, NO its not my system, my network or my ISP i have checked them all, refreshed them all, made all allowances etc. YES IT IS on your side, because this isn't just happeneing to me, its happenening to other people as well. This is rediculous, its like you dont have any real tech support. Get a Third party company to test, check and repair your servers, get your ISP to check your routing and configurations, get a Third party company to go through your patching software with a fine tooth comb, because lets face it, either your technical team is completly inept or just doesn't give a TRIBBLE about your customers. YES this is going to be placed in different areas everywhere, because i'm not getting a proper responce, so i will spam it till someone there who knows whats going on ACTUALLY READS THIS AND DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

PROBLEM:
    Download stops patching but continues to recieve data
    IT is stuck on the file ShaderCache.Hogg
    All network configurations, firewalls, security mesasures, permissions checked, double checked and fine
    ISP is not blocking communication from ports or IP
    Computer system is above minimu system requirments by far
    DSL connection is adequate to download files
    MOST files have downloaded and patched
    Errors are being encountered, and are as follows

After Bringing up the transfers page (holding CTRL and pressing X) It displays that ShaderCache.Hogg is not downling correctly

pcl log is showing, repeatedly "16 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCache.hogg (retry 0, compressed)"

Methods used to attempt to fix

Attempted to find and delete ShaderCache.hogg - couldn't file does not exsist in system
    Reset network adaptor - no difference
    Opened ports on router - no difference
    Changed security settings (even turned all off) -no difference
    Unistalled attempted fresh install - no difference
    Deleted live folder - no difference
    Aquired copy of shadercache.hogg from friend - patcher deleted file then no difference
    Changed settings of launcher (patch proxy, force verify, hell even languade) - no difference
    Restarted computer(obviously) - no difference
    Restarted router - no difference
    Contacted ISP relating to port blocking - no blocking no difference

I think thats all, there's probably more i've done as well, Pretty much if its in the forums, i've done it 3 times over.

NOW TELL ME ITS ON MY SIDE!! coz its not. I will continue to spam this through perfectworld, STO site, and tickets until SOMETHING IS DONE.

Sorry for forum users who may get sick of seeing this, but i see this as the only way to get attention to this problem.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm having patching issues as well, and after almost 3 years of this error I am frankly sick of it. I have chewed up far too much bandwidth stuck on these damn loops and spent too much money on bandwidth as a result (Care to reimburse me? Didn't think so). It's about time PWE did something to fix the problem.

The file I'm stuck on is VOICE_Dom.fsb and I can't delete it from the cache because there is no cache folder!!! This is a fresh install using your new ARC software and the problem still exists after 2 1/2 years of it? C'mon guys...

Edit: Problem fixed - I deleted the LIVE folder completely and restarted an 8Gb patch. Not happy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • hellcaraxhellcarax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ive tried a fresh install 3 times over the past 2 days, each time it gets stuck in a loop patching the same files. I give up if its this hard to get into the game I can only imagine what issues it has once running.
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How can this problem still be around? Hangs at 65% on "startrekclient.manifest". Delete the file and it's remade instantly when you start to patch and just hangs again. This the the third time with this BS. Yet tribble I have no problem patching and launching. Wth.
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey, I've been having the same problem.

I've tried deleting the cache, .patch and the hoggs in the piggs folder.

I've been stuck on one file or another every thing I tried, .manifest and libobj.bin.

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to try and completely re-install STO.

If this doesn't work then I really don't know what to do.
  • spiritmuse1spiritmuse1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not exactly this issue because I can't yet post my own threads, but, seriously guys? 8 Gb in patches? When the game initially only asks 6Gb to install? Isn't it time to just update the installer?