test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Torp Spread

jjgrands420jjgrands420 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvP Gameplay
once upon a time torp spread was changed from a single burst to multiple tics, when that happened, it was granted 100% accuracy. Could a dev please answer here, is this intended? In a game with a hit/ miss chance on everything in the game that does damage (even console one time/3 minutes powers) why does torp spread have 100% accuracy.

WHY IS TORPEDO SPREAD THE ONLY DMG POWER IN GAME GUARANTEED TO HIT?
Post edited by jjgrands420 on

Comments

• Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ... all the things broken relating to pvp... and this is the big demand of the day?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lol torp spread is weak even in TS3 form why do you worry so much about this

There are an unbelievable amount of REAL problems with pvp/sto that need addressing before a handy skill that is only capable of causing damage to pets
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Lol torp spread is weak even in TS3 form why do you worry so much about this

There are an unbelievable amount of REAL problems with pvp/sto that need addressing before a handy skill that is only capable of causing damage to pets

just becus it doesnt affect u doesnt mean its right. stop derailing the issue, SHOULD IT OR SHOULDNT IT MISS. ITS A VERY KEY ASPECT TO A CERTAIN BUILD THAT IS BULLLLLL. if you dont know about it, move along.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I don't know but I can imagine a reason why:

If you target a specific target with a torpedo there is a chance that target can do something to jam it's guidance system or otherwise make it miss. When you launch a spread each individual torpedo has the choice to go to any target it likes, probably the closest in range, if it is jammed it can change course to a target that is not jamming it, don't forget these torpedoes will contain very sophisticated AI and guidance/propulsion systems. In this circumstance it is perhaps reasonable to assume that none of the torpedoes would miss.

From a game point of view though I would imagine as it's a pretty weak skill against players it's just been overlooked or ignored.

but high yield does miss. and tis not a weak skill. and i dont know why i bother really tbh
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    just becus it doesnt affect u doesnt mean its right. stop derailing the issue, SHOULD IT OR SHOULDNT IT MISS. ITS A VERY KEY ASPECT TO A CERTAIN BUILD THAT IS BULLLLLL. if you dont know about it, move along.

I think the Tachyon Detection Field working while cloaked is a bigger issue for that particular build. Don't forget, the stacked TS will be going away at some point.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

And what would be this sooper seekrit happy build of DOOM hm?

"Brel transphasic noob" boat?

"One torpedo doesnt cut it, lets fire over 9000 and see if that works" boat?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And what would be this sooper seekrit happy build of DOOM hm?

"Brel transphasic noob" boat?

"One torpedo doesnt cut it, lets fire over 9000 and see if that works" boat?

i smell a pver.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    i smell a pver.

kk

/tenletters
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think the Tachyon Detection Field working while cloaked is a bigger issue for that particular build. Don't forget, the stacked TS will be going away at some point.

STACKED ISNT PROBLEM NO MISS IS PROBLEM I NEED MISS THEY DONTNEED MISS I HIT WITH 100 TORPS THEY DONT DIE. thats it i give up i decided what to do
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    STACKED ISNT PROBLEM NO MISS IS PROBLEM I NEED MISS THEY DONTNEED MISS I HIT WITH 100 TORPS THEY DONT DIE. thats it i give up i decided what to do

just...

lol
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Mini, c'mon - I'm the one that brought it up in naz's PvP Concerns thread. I've brought it up numerous times. I can't even remember how long I've been bringing it up...with zero reply from the devs on the matter.

It's taken a turn for the worse, because Fed Roms can build a Cloaked Hunter-Killer boat that can annihilate any cloaked ships...and I honestly don't see Cryptic doing anything about it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Spread is just not that important in PvP

TS3 + TS2 with Quant Mk XII [CrtD]x3 vs. a cloaked ship. You don't even need Quant consoles.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Mini, c'mon - I'm the one that brought it up in naz's PvP Concerns thread. I've brought it up numerous times. I can't even remember how long I've been bringing it up...with zero reply from the devs on the matter.

It's taken a turn for the worse, because Fed Roms can build a Cloaked Hunter-Killer boat that can annihilate any cloaked ships...and I honestly don't see Cryptic doing anything about it.

yup. i dont see it either. well since no one wants to join 1v1 tourny maybe i will make one video for sto. where i go thru and show ll my gear and hard earned items, then delete my toons.
  • Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    it is intended, with the following RP reasoning:

you fire so much torps that its improbable that none of them hit, thus at least a few will shred off some paint. Hence 100% accuracy.

The real deal: Its a cheap fix, see how they could never fix FaW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Fix Subterfuge trait first.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ilhansk wrote: »
    Fix Subterfuge trait first.

Not only Sci should get to enjoy playing the cloaked Hunter-Killer, right? ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Play, counter-play, counter-counter-play... ;)

The broken subterfuge trait messes stuff up.

Lets say, I wanna max out a certain stat, Graviton Gens or Particle Generators, Through heavy investment in consoles/gear/spec, one could push these stats to slightly above 300-ish numbers.

The cloak stat on the other hand, can be pushed up to 4 diggits value by equipping 4-5 BOFFS. lol. lol?!

edit: virus, since i read your first post regarding cloak, i knew you'll figure certain stuff out as well, you're a clever guy, if you were german I'd have courted you for my fleet.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ilhansk wrote: »
    Play, counter-play, counter-counter-play... ;)

The broken subterfuge traits messes stuff up.

Lets say, I wanna max out a certain stat, Graviton Gens or Particle Generators, Through heavy investment in consoles/gear/spec, one could push these stats to slightly above 300-ish numbers.

The cloak stat on the other hand, can be pushed up to 4 diggits value by equipping 4-5 BOFFS. lol. lol?!

I'm the guy that's constantly linking to the March 13th patch notes where they fixed the stacking (or pointing to the March 8th Tribble notes where they did it, since Bort gives an explanation of Stealth/Perception mechanics in that thread)...

It was still fine at LoR release - only broken to stack again at some point after (the typical Cryptic's forks forked the players).

But again, I'm coming from the point of a view of a KDF-aligned Reman as well as four other KDF toons (4 Fed as well, mind you)...that sees that a TDF can be used while cloaked on a Fed-only T'varo. I want all the bogus/exploited/bugged/broken Stealth I can get...otherwise even a Fed Eng in a T'varo is going to be slaughtering KDF folks that are cloaked.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    haha yeah,

quite a bunch of well known cloakers (like minimax, mt, thissler, matja) wittnessed how effective anti cloak tactics can be.

• Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    An Attack Sub T'Varo had been at the back of my mind ever since a month or so after LoR launch - but I hadn't realized it was quite this nutty. At the time I was only thinking about how to defeat the stupidly high amounts of stealth Romulans had - but I didn't realize how handicapped KDF cloaks would be against that magnitude of stealth detection.

Seriously, it only recently came to my mind that a snooper that just manages to effectively seek Romulans will absolutely blow the pants off KDF cloaks. Just goes to show how far KDF has receded in my mind.....

B'Rel counter-attack sub with 2xMono & 1xNeut, anyone?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    scurry5 wrote: »
    An Attack Sub T'Varo had been at the back of my mind ever since a month or so after LoR launch - but I hadn't realized it was quite this nutty. At the time I was only thinking about how to defeat the stupidly high amounts of stealth Romulans had - but I didn't realize how handicapped KDF cloaks would be against that magnitude of stealth detection.

Seriously, it only recently came to my mind that a snooper that just manages to effectively seek Romulans will absolutely blow the pants off KDF cloaks. Just goes to show how far KDF has receded in my mind.....

B'Rel counter-attack sub with 2xMono & 1xNeut, anyone?

Can it be done without the universal though, i think thats the big issue, the console is fed only
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    An Attack Sub T'Varo had been at the back of my mind ever since a month or so after LoR launch...

Heh, there's a reason I went Reman Sci with my Rom - knew that I was going to take the Fleet T'varo. Heck, I used to glitch Fed with my KDF Sci to do the KDF killer missions in Ker'rat. It never dawned on me that TDF would work while cloaked - didn't even cross my feeble mind...meh.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hmm.....how could we fix this, you think? Perhaps there should be some method of making sensors inversely proportional with stealth - active/passive sensor modes, maybe?

Maybe just fix TDF so that it causes a blip? Or reduces stealth by a significant amount for the duration? Just so that at least KDF and Fed have it equal. Although I have a feeling that they might just toss TDF into the next lockbox - but I shudder to think what Feds would get in return. Eh, make the exchange TDF/Barrier Field.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Eh, make the exchange TDF/Barrier Field.

Not much left for those, eh? That's why they did the Dark Poo Console and we're likely to see more poo from Cryptic. ;)
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Heh, I like how cloakers get so hot under the collar when the tables are turned on them.

Suddenly Rom cloaks are not cool. ;)

Fix the stupid Stealth stacking and you'll not see those builds as often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can it be done without the universal though, i think thats the big issue, the console is fed only

It can be done without the universal.

Several players in this thread are privy to extremely effective snooping builds.

They just aren't disclosing it.

Hmm.....how could we fix this, you think?

Fix which part in particular?

Both ends of this have some odd mechanics that would need to be ironed out.

There is quite a lot of perception available in the system right now.

If they want to fix stealth they will probably need to overhaul the entire system.

First they would need to have a vision on how its supposed to work.

How well they want the attack to be visible by the snooper, what range mins and maximums they want it to fit into. How they want passive snooping (always on) vs. active snooping (limited duration & uptime perception spikes) to work

Then they would need to, imo, go back and simultaneously tone down the BOFF traits while also increasing the base skill.

The base skill has a higher cost opportunity than simply slotting BOFFs (which really doesn't cost anything).

As it stands now the stealth skill is awful. Really, truly, awful.

Even if the environment were saturated with snooper builds you couldn't pay me with zen to waste ranks in this skill.

That would also have a side benefit of somewhat levelling the playing field for Rom Cloaks vs. KDF Cloaks.

Keep in mind though, the Rom cloaks were not designed to be "similar but different" to the KDF cloaks - they were quite clearly designed to be superior.

Where they intended the balance point to be was singularity cores.

The cores would grant less power, and would also be both a boon and a curse as having high sing power would make your stealth worse.

Did it work out as planned? Well, that's probably a whole other thread. ;)
  • Options
    hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited September 2013
    Torp spread is all kinds of messed up. In addition to never missing, it will put rapid fire transphasics on a 10s cooldown when they should be on an 8s cooldown. It will also never proc a projectile weapons doff. Weird, hey?

Actually, I reported all of this to the devs six months ago before my sabbatical from STO. I'm just assuming it hasn't been fixed yet because of the track record of the development team and the fact that TS still doesn't ever miss, but let me know if it's changed.