test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO becoming deserted-End game needs improving?

Comments

• Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    PvP is endgame. Fix PvP and we'll all have something to do.

Except for those who have absolutely zero interest in PvP. :rolleyes:
    But that's okay. You can have your (fixed) PvP and I'll keep doing all the things I've been doing for endgame - doffing, RP, etc.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dsaris wrote: »
    the story for the TNG universe we have now has already been played out.
    I agree entirely. It's time to take it back to the 23rd Century, or to fully embrace the 25th and leave the vapid years behind.
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not a particularly catchy song, but hilarious!

Oh and We're Doomed!

Everything from Gir is hilarious, if not catchy.

Not everything by the show's creator is "Hilarious" ...but enjoying a comic book titled "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac" might be an acquired thing. :D
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    shmnshmn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Personally I would most just like to see a few more STF's / fleet alerts with some variations (and to cycle cooldowns better without having to play alts); nothing fancy with elaborate tactics even, just different settings, different sets of enemies.

Would be fairly light to develop, I imagine, but add a great deal to longevity by combating the repetition faced currently.
    IGN: Noveria
  • Options
    shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The issue is that Star Trek focuses around one crew and very rarely introduces team content. TNG had the battle of Wolf 359 and DS9 had various battles against the Dominion so there is not much evidence of Captains teaming up on a regular basis. Therefore, it makes more sense to have that single player aspect in STO. The only thing that is missing IMO is the ship missions and non-combat missions since not every Star Trek episode had a fight scene.

If I remember right, at the battle of Wolf 359 all the teamed up fed ships were beat up by the lone borg cube...
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    PvP is endgame. Fix PvP and we'll all have something to do.

PvPvE Warzones/ Territory control
    Ranked Fleet Vs Fleet PvP
    Individual Player Ranks for PvP
    PvP exclusive gear (Only useable in PvP for PvP).

This is sooo true. Most of friends have gone out of the game for other MMOs (WoW, LOTRO) PC multiplayers (Rome II), Assasins Creed and the like...that time of the year again in which you feel "alone" and time to make "new" friends and wait for the next MAJOR event or update hoping things would improve....hopefully is not long wait and fresh blood gets incorporated soon. Being a LTS I guess time for a quick break and be back if the crowds come back later on the year ;)
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dead.. nope, not yet. But there are some issues that aren't recognized as issues.

STO could be a game of exploration, combat on the galactic scale, massive fleet battles involving hundred of ships. Galactic real politic. Control of star systems and resources.

But its not.

STO could be about the interactions of player with each other and a fantastic venue for Role Playing in the Trek universe.. Unfortunatly there seems to be a disconnect with that at the developer level. Not to mention the customer support level when it comes do dealing with socail activities in game... It happens on a very small scale.. and the lack of it has driven away more player then its attracted.

What STO is, is a computer game version of what amounts to a CCG (Collectable card Game)

There content, and there is content. Compare STO to Eve online.. Eve doesn't actually have all that much in the way of story driven content. But what it does have is a massive sandbox that allows player to create thier own story by their activities in game. The players always have something to do. And its not all that much but the amount of interaction between players is phenominal. Massive, constant PvP availible. A robust and dynamic player driven econ. Epic massive PvP battles for control of star systems that can span days, weeks, months. Toss in the console title Dust 514 and it's interaction with the Eve universe and your talking more then sufficient player generated content and availible player activity to last a life time. STO isn't even close. The only thing Eve doesn't have is face to face interaction between player avatars and actuall RP... yet some of the basic ground work has been laid for just that. Dont be to surprised to see it crop up in Eve sometime in the next two years.

For all the pretty pretties that STO has, its lacking a great deal as an entertainment product.

Well, done posting. I t's time for me to go play some more ****.. a Fantasy MMO thats also Free To Play... and way more fun then STO has ever been. Prettier too!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dsaris wrote: »
    Really the whole game only has a year or two left. Once the third "New" Trek movie comes out you can bet we'll see a new Star Trek Online based in the new universe. Which, IMO, would be really nice. The story for that universe is just beginning, whereas the story for the TNG universe we have now has already been played out.

Which will be really really dumbed down. You're lucky to get 4 shield facings and subsystem power levels as it is now.
  • Options
    jiitoljiitol Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    funny thing is, it's not dead, by a long shot. A lot of the original players have moved elsewhere because they've done it all but they are getting new peeps like me all the time. I'm not seeing dead zone at all, just a full galaxy. I'm sure there was much more at one point but they didn't have Romulans then and I refused to play before then.

Come the next expansion it will blossom again, the free to play model tends to do that especially, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a Star Trek Online 2 at some point too.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2013
    I bash Cryptic all the time but this game is far from dead. I was PvPing until late into the night. Map instances also had a lot of players.

It does seem that there are fewer low level toons than when I started about 1 year ago. That would all be fixes with some new content like Fed tutorial or new faction.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I dunno macronius, it's extremely easy to pass through lower levels with 2-3 hours of dedicated time, even being new to the game. Also, from my own experience, the further away from ESD (as a FED) the less likely anyone will see a lower level toon from a new player. Experienced players know better ;)
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2013
    I was just thinking that the game is too crowded.

With the Scimitar and other large ships, system entry/spawn points look like urban highways at rush hour.

Space is big, dammit! You just won't believe how incredibly big it is. I don't want less people. I want more space.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't know what the OP is talking about.

Plenty to do.

I have to grind 5,000 Fleet marks just to get inside my Dilithium mine at 90 marks per mission if I'm lucky.

It's actually easier and more profitable just to max out the DOff missions and do those mission reports.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited September 2013
    jnohd wrote: »
    I'm gunna sing the doom song now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ

What's wrong with singing "Feelings", changing each instance of "feelings" to "doom" (as in "doo-oom")? Or a nice funeral march. Something uplifting like that.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm noticing the exact opposite in my fleet. After a summer with next to nobody on we are starting to trickle back in. Seasonal transition it seems, and the LoR tourist are gone.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    appears pretty durned busy ingame IMO.....

edited September 2013
    macronius wrote: »

It does seem that there are fewer low level toons than when I started about 1 year ago. That would all be fixes with some new content like Fed tutorial or new faction.

there are fewer lower level toons because it's way too easy to level in this game. I shouldn't be able to 50 already after only playing 2 weeks. Now been here a month and have another half way there. Some people may be able to level quicker, but it generally takes me a bit longer as I'm one to actually read the stories as they are going on (unless really poorly written and there have been a couple).
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    "We're Doomed"
    edited September 2013
    What's wrong with singing "Feelings", changing each instance of "feelings" to "doom" (as in "doo-oom")? Or a nice funeral march. Something uplifting like that.

Someone had to :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TvxkpiD-zw

Now, as for the original topic, I do agree that the end game could use some sprucing up. I'm currently running a Rom character which I started up because quite simply, my Fed just ran out of things to do. All the rep grind is done, all the stories are done, I'm satisfied with how my ships are geared up, the only thing he does is farm some dil and help out the Rom toon a little.

It'll be interesting to see what season 8 brings ... :cool:
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2013
    I dunno macronius, it's extremely easy to pass through lower levels with 2-3 hours of dedicated time, even being new to the game. Also, from my own experience, the further away from ESD (as a FED) the less likely anyone will see a lower level toon from a new player. Experienced players know better ;)

Well I could be wrong but low level queues are fairly empty. Plenty of people at 50 though. So no need for alarms just yet.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    kimmym wrote: »
    I'm noticing the exact opposite in my fleet. After a summer with next to nobody on we are starting to trickle back in. Seasonal transition it seems, and the LoR tourist are gone.

sorry my experience does to match yours, been on fairly frequently over the past two weeks and have only seen a handful of fleet members 9 out of 320 on, and npc's are far outnumbering players in most locations. so to me it is getting worse, people have ceased logging in 2, 3 , 4, 6 months now....

what gives cryptic?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not all fleets are created equal; using your fleet as evidence for concurrency is crazy. A fleet with few members online could be the result of any number of things--the least of which is bad leadership.

That said, I do think that whether or not the end-game is actually falling off in concurrency, the perception that it is should be cause for concern (assuming there's a consensus, which there never is).
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    STO really only needs to last until spring 2014 because then Elder Scrolls Online will launch and you will be able to play it on PC and Mac on one megaserver, and then XBOX1 on another megaserver, and finally PS4 on another megaserver.

Zenimax just announced they will launch with a subscription payment model, and a vanity only cash store and the cash store might not even be in the game that part is still up in the air. However for the price of your subscription you will get access to all the content the game has to offer and to me that sounds so much better then constantly pulling out my credit card to buy more ZEN.

I really do like STO, but my VISA card has never had such a workout as it has in STO. STO is the most expensive MMO I have ever played bar none. Free to Play? yeah right...lol
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    STO really only needs to last until spring 2014 because then Elder Scrolls Online will launch and you will be able to play it on PC and Mac on one megaserver, and then XBOX1 on another megaserver, and finally PS4 on another megaserver.

Zenimax just announced they will launch with a subscription payment model, and a vanity only cash store and the cash store might not even be in the game that part is still up in the air. However for the price of your subscription you will get access to all the content the game has to offer and to me that sounds so much better then constantly pulling out my credit card to buy more ZEN.

I really do like STO, but my VISA card has never had such a workout as it has in STO. STO is the most expensive MMO I have ever played bar none. Free to Play? yeah right...lol

Off topic: I'm not holding my breath on ESO's subscription model. I think it's practically a business tactic these days to launch with a subscription plan to recoup as much of the development costs as possible, and then when the players inevitably start leaving, you turn to F2P.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Seems like that would be your own decision. You would be the one taking out the credit card, and spending money on the game. Thanks, by the way.

But nothing, anywhere requires that you do (except the lifetime sub).
    The entire game except for the lifetime benefits is available to anyone for free. Everything available can be achieved by solely in game means, without ever spending a dime.

Spending your money just makes it quicker, I guess.

But the point is that the game IS indeed a F2P game.
    It is each individuals decision whether to spend on it, and if so, how much.

Do not pretend that the game is not Free to Play, because you make a choice to spend money on something you could have earned with time and patience.

Just my Opinion
    Your mileage may vary

- John
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Where have i herd this before...ah yes when TOR came out.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Where have i herd this before...ah yes when TOR came out.

it was also said many times when Guild Wars 2 came out.

"cannot wait for (insert upcoming mmo) to come out so i can leave this stupid awful game"
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is without a doubt the most populated dead game I have seen.

Also isn't it interesting the the same folks are posting the same thing on the Neverwinter and Champions forums?

Guess the Astroturfers have a new contract.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!