test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet system is lame

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh goody, I have to beg the fleet leaders again to get access to a fleet store. This doesn't exactly put me in the mood to donate to 'their' fleet. The only mood it puts me in is the 'log off and stop playing' mood.

Is it my imagination or is every single aspect of a MMO"RPG" designed to hinder roleplaying. I get more grief and competition (ore/spawn thieves) from people in my own faction than the supposed enemy faction.

There are actual roleplaying fleets in this game if thats what floats your boat also if you have to beg your fleets leaders to get access to the fleet store...your in the wrong fleet and they are just being jerks.

Dont let one fleet ruin the fun there is to the game just go find a fleet thats better doesnt have to be a big fleet just one that accomidates your needs as a player.

but i suggest finding a roleplaying fleet so you can RP with other RPErs like you and dont let the trolls tell you what to do you play your game they play theirs...and then theres the iggy button works good for trolls :)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can sympathize with a dissatisfaction in the Fleet system. Short of any changes to the process, the OP either needs to put-up and shut-up or move to another Fleet. If he's venting here, then his loyalty to the Fleet is already low.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sunseahl wrote: »
    unless you have legitimate criticizm... just... stop talking
    I can sympathize with a dissatisfaction in the Fleet system. Short of any changes to the process, the OP either needs to put-up and shut-up or move to another Fleet. If he's venting here, then his loyalty to the Fleet is already low.

"But I repeat myself" ~Mark Twain
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    While worded poorly, I suppose I can see the OP's point.

The only 'solution' I can see would be the removal of fleet provisions as a required resource. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Given the inherent costs of the items themselves in fleet credits and dilithium, provisions on top of that may seem a bit redundant/excessive. The current system does also cause a certain element of elitism within most fleets as a side effect of needing to manage those easily-consumable provisions(it doesn't help that 'equipment provisions' are consumed by everything from starship shields to each individual ground weapon).

Conversely, having the fleet resource system gives fleets a continual goal to work towards(read: keeps people grinding loot treadmills). It also gives newer members a meaningful way to contribute to already well-established fleets.

There is a obvious, or so I thought, point to the provisions: A way to ensure that fleet leaders continue to add projects so that people contentiously can accumulate fleet-credits, which is a necessity, given that cryptic keeps altering major fundamental stats on gear.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    havokreign wrote: »
    Fleets are designed to be giant resource sinks, just like the rep system. They are the same thing.

What else is there for a fleet to do? Is it enough for you to simply be part of a conglomerate or do you require some sort of objective?

For the OP.

Our early attempts at a tractor beam went through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now, ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a working tractor beam, which we shall call... Preparation H.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sitheach wrote: »
    There's a limited amount of provisions. So if you don't support the fleet, the fleet won't support you. It's simple math really..

Pretty much this.

If provisions were unlimited, there would be zero issue. I'd throw open the door to everybody and anybody and probably most other fleets would too.

But the projects which create provisions take resources that aren't in plentiful supply to everyone. And there's a reason for that.

They want people in the game over the long term, which is why it takes time and/or money to collect resources. People who are in the game more often are either more likely to buy stuff with Zen, or have excess Dilithium which they can sell to people who want to trade Zen for it.

Like it or not, that's their business model. Apparently a successful one. People can lobby for a change there, but I don't see that going anywhere.

I agree it's not especially beneficial for small fleets and casual/solo players the way it works, but the choices are live with it or don't play.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Random Fleet members are a dime a dozen.
    A good loyal fleet member who contributes to the fleet is worth is weight in gold.

People come into A fleet expecting them to "put on a show for them" (for lack of a better phrase) basically "sell your fleet to me and i may be nice and join you"

That does not fly around most fleets. how i run my fleet is very simple. sign up on our forums. you have a minimum of 2 weeks to sell your self to the members of the fleet. how you do that is up to you.

What it comes down to is. if you walk into a fleet expecting them to bend over backwards to have you as a member. you will not get into most if not all the good fleet around STO.

I like to keep my fleet simple and very social. we are all friends that are working to a common goal. i suggest that you spend a few hours looking around at some fleets. do research. know what teamspeak is. and see if the fleet you want to join uses it. do they have a website or there own forums. how long have they been around. do they play other games. what are there entry requirements. time they are active.

all of these should be questions you should be looking for the answer to.

I hope this helped
    Srafa Orasp
    Fleet Admiral "The Warpigs"
    http://www.joinwarpigs.com
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

If provisions were unlimited, there would be zero issue. I'd throw open the door to everybody and anybody and probably most other fleets would too.

But the projects which create provisions take resources that aren't in plentiful supply to everyone. And there's a reason for that.

They want people in the game over the long term, which is why it takes time and/or money to collect resources. People who are in the game more often are either more likely to buy stuff with Zen, or have excess Dilithium which they can sell to people who want to trade Zen for it.

Like it or not, that's their business model. Apparently a successful one. People can lobby for a change there, but I don't see that going anywhere.

I agree it's not especially beneficial for small fleets and casual/solo players the way it works, but the choices are live with it or don't play.

Provisions do cost resources to the fleet, so anyone joining a fleet has to at least contribute.

In the fleet i'm in, members have to make a minimum contribution to even be at least considered for promotion, there's an old saying in Lancashire, it's called you earn your keep.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      This kind of attitude seems to be apart of the welfare, care bear, occupy, something for nothing mentality which is threatening to destroy America. If you want something then you have to earn it.

The fleet system works well IMO. As stated before the provisions cost resources and there-fore have value. As a fleet advances the more resources it took to make such gear available. You shouldn't be begging for access, you should be asking how do I earn access? If the fleet you are in does not defined thresholds then you need to look elsewhere.

My fleet is pretty casual. You can do what you want. Donate, not donate its all good but if you want access to our stores you need to donate 75k in overall contributions. On occasion we will grant access to those that access if they have been active for a week or so and have been friendly and trying to meet the requirement. We run STFs and Fleet actions almost everyday so there are plenty of chances to earn Fleet Credits.

You are welcome to join my fleet. You may contact me in game, Alexander@AdmiralMank, or my Recruitment officer Trevor@ajlagaran.

Just remember my fleet has a zero tolerance for drama.
      Admiral%20sig%202.png
      edited September 2013
      vamank wrote: »
      This kind of attitude seems to be apart of the welfare, care bear, occupy, something for nothing mentality which is threatening to destroy America. If you want something then you have to earn it.

'Murica!!! :rolleyes:
      GwaoHAD.png
    • eliteempireeliteempire Member Posts: 8 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      There are actual roleplaying fleets in this game if thats what floats your boat also if you have to beg your fleets leaders to get access to the fleet store...your in the wrong fleet and they are just being jerks.

Dont let one fleet ruin the fun there is to the game just go find a fleet thats better doesnt have to be a big fleet just one that accomidates your needs as a player.

but i suggest finding a roleplaying fleet so you can RP with other RPErs like you and dont let the trolls tell you what to do you play your game they play theirs...and then theres the iggy button works good for trolls :)
      +1 (and this is lynda joran xD) to the op if you really dont want to be in a fleet and contrib you obviously dont care about fleet equipment , sure its a grindfest but in the end you get some of the games best stuff , have fun playing alone i guess , and try the rep system , i want to hear you rant about it to so me and joran can put down the troll
      btw , your not welcome in our fleet

-CaptainLynda/Page , empress of the romulan star empire
    • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      anazonda wrote: »
      Well as the others have said: Sounds like you've chosen the wrong fleet...

In my fleet, we hinder the first rank, YES... every fleet who has just the slightest bit of experience does this, to effectively block thieves and raiders. Anyone who does not do this, should have their bank emptied by a random person, who then leaves the fleet immediately... That usually happens on its own of cause.

Once we feel certain that a person will not just empty our bank and then go away, we grant permission to fleet resources. That takes everything between a day and never, depending on the person (a person who never talks to us, never gets access for example, a person that ASAP drops everything he has into the fleet projects seems a little more trustworthy).

Other fleets demand a certain level of contribution before advancement is granted, and others have a entry fee... It all depends on how the fleet structure is made, and to be somewhat blunt: As a new guy, you are not in a position to change that... and you don't have the right either.

The other side of this is that many established fleets, once you're past their entry level criteria, have few or no further barriers.

And another point on roleplaying fleets: Some larger fleets also have roleplaying divisions. In some ways they work almost like a different fleet, with their own activities, sections on the fleet forum, their own inter-fleet arrangements. But by being part of a larger fleet they gain access to all the things large fleets bring, like more active starbase progression and seat fillers for missions.
    • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Never said fleets were "ran poorly".

I said forcing me to beg from a complete stranger, a complete stranger in a "harvest your tears" MMORPG, at the whim and convenience of someone else, is just about one of the dumbest things ever.

Want to have unlimited access to all possible stores?

Then found your own fleet.

You'll have unlimited access to anything you work for, and can give access to players as much as you like.

Building a fleet in these days from scratch is tough. It takes vision, dedication, kindness and a friendly attitude. I founded a fleet 2 months, 5 days ago with an ingame friend. We are beginning to approach T3 base, T2 mine upgrades are busy and T1 embassy is slowly advancing (we pushed Embassy to the last place, because of a young fleet's limited recourses). Members are around 150. We are seeing a community forming that is fun to play with, both on experience the fleet higher ranks are giving to the new players, and due to the fact that we are forming a fleet with humour, friendship and teamwork.

We restricted access to our stores for the first rank. To advance to the second rank, a player must have contributed/earned 75.000 fleet credits. For the maths, 75k fleet credits equals:
      1500 fleet marks --> 6 daily runs on Defera, of which 3 are during event time.
      75.000 dilithium --> a maximum of 42 ESTF's (if you get a reward of 60 marks (worth 10 dil/mark) and 1 processor (worth 200 dil/processor)), you have a value of 1760 dilithium in each ESTF. This max will be faster achievable though, due to higher rewards from some ESTF's (14 processors, 130 marks, etc)
      75.000 dilithium --> 75 times dilithium mining. THis is based on having a few during mining event and after a while being able to earn 1000 dilithium/day
      1.875.000 expertise --> My main (19 months old) has something like this, after giving away vast amounths to fleet/rep.
      250 duty officers --> 125.000 fleet credits at the store (if you buy the cheapest ones), lots of patience at Starfleet Academy, 12.500.000 ec on the exchange
      7500000 ec for commodities, weapons etc --> 15 runs of Tour the Universe, combined with earning an additional 150k ec each day (say Tau Dewa Patrol: and you are over this)

So earning access to our stores is totally not difficult. It only requires a player to show dedication to our fleet.

With your fleet.
      Estimates:
      Day 1: "Alpha strike" contribution from you to your new fleet
      Day 2: Maybe some members who are giving minor contributions
      Day 7: with luck you will have a few people contributing
      Day 10: your attitude (assuming your ingame is the same as in this thread) will start scaring away members
      Day 20: contributions will have almost completely stopped. Nothing is T1 yet, although the first upgrade is in progress
      Day 25: out of frustration you leave the fleet, and seeing how much you like other fleets, subsequently the game.
      So, good luck.

For now: PLEASE STOP WHINING IN THIS THREAD!!!!!
    • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
      edited September 2013
      there are people in my flee that never talk, or join any fleet actions or anything..
      they still contribute, some of them are at the max rank..

im sure they are pretty happy with the progress as well.. some have earned over 1m FC.

just because you want to play solo doesnt mean you cant join a fleet.. if you choose not to dont complain about not getting fleet gear and be happy with rep gear.
      [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
      [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
    • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      The point that many people miss is it's the "Fl337" system, not a "Fleet" system.

Until this changes, expect frustrations.

The Reputation system was supposed to balance this with SOLO players, but until the same equipment is available there, not so much.

Fl337 people can get all the Rep system goodies that SOLOs get, but SOLOs have to beg for Fl337 scraps.

This is a huge FAILURE on the Dev's part.
    • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Deleted by me
      edited September 2013
      It's not just in America. You can find deadbeats working the system in every country that has some sort of welfare program. :rolleyes:

You don't say :rolleyes:
      GwaoHAD.png
    • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      I think it's clear that after a year of the Starbase system, the flaws are obviously known now.

Large Fleets:

Pro: Rapidly progressed through Starbase Fleet Holdings, due to their large populations.
      Pro: Due to high populations, fleet members have time to do other things.
      Conn: Starving for Fleet Marks and Provisions for their members

Small Fleets:

Pro: Plenty of Provison stores
      Conn: Very slow progression of their Fleets
      Conn: Have to work extremely hard to advance.

This is exactly why small fleets have been complaining since Season 7 of how bad the Starbase system. They spend all their free time working on Dilithium Grinding and Fleet Mark grinding, which burns them out so bad that either they lose members to larger fleets or people just up and quit because they are burnt out from the excessive grinding.

And then there are the Tier 5 fleets, some of them generously opened their doors to the public, where anyone could buy the new endgame gear, as long as they could pay for it. Which some fleets stopped progressing because "why bother, I can buy it from these guys".

Then there is the irony of the Dilithium mines, where Large Fleets can't opt out of the discount , which lowers the earning potential for Fleet Marks for the large fleets. And small fleets, well they have to focus their attention in the Dilithium mines for months just to work up the Discounts. Two fleets I am in have just unlocked Tier 1 since LoR went live, which means my fleet can't progress for a year until we finish the Mine Content.

Oh and then Cryptic is throwing another Fleet holding which will likely divert small fleets from advancing even more, because they have to work on the new fleet holding to unlock whatever l33t gear that Cryptic offers.

So yes, the Fleet System needs revised. And a revision that is fair for any kind of fleet. Large or Small.
    • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      If you're not happy about how a fleet is run and you think you can do better, I invite you to form your own fleet and get it to sufficient level to get whatever it is you want. Then you don't have to worry about "begging" anyone for access to anything but it will be hard work since undoubtedly you will have few members and have to do most of the hard work yourself.

It is ironic OP that you have effectively blacklisted yourself from a number of large fleets who would have otherwise been willing to help you.
    • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Don't like the fleet system? Tough, don't be in a fleet or build your own fleet than!!!
      Don't like begging for store access? Tough join another, contribute or build your own fleet!!!
      Want fleet goods? Than contribute, pay for access or build your own fleet!!!
      I have no sympathy for those who think they deserve fleet gear for doing nothing!!!
      tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited September 2013
      +1 (and this is lynda joran xD) to the op if you really dont want to be in a fleet and contrib you obviously dont care about fleet equipment , sure its a grindfest but in the end you get some of the games best stuff , have fun playing alone i guess , and try the rep system , i want to hear you rant about it to so me and joran can put down the troll
      btw , your not welcome in our fleet

*Edited*-CaptainLynda/Page , Empress of the Romulan star empire lounge and casino located on drozana look for the nut job in a tin foil hat and ask for lynda (FYI thats her), its like ceasers palace only cruddier with rust and ferengis :D

Oh lord who let the crazy lady out of her padded cell and forgot to give her the medicine she needs.....lynda gets a little funny in the head when she is off her meds XD

Oh and i left the fleet lynda started clashing with members and instead of making a big deal left .

to the OP i just left the fleet i was in because of differences with members within it just something that happens if i ever look for a fleet i will look for one that accomadates my needs and type of personalities that would not clash with mine.
    • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 258 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Provisions are what is wrong with the new Fleet System. The tiers work well as a social catalyst and help people feel like they are helping build something. It also acts as a pretty hefty Dilithium sink.

Remove Provisions or make them less of a hassle to work with.
      ~Megamind@Sobekeus
      edited September 2013
      chainfall wrote: »
      Provisions are what is wrong with the new Fleet System. The tiers work well as a social catalyst and help people feel like they are helping build something. It also acts as a pretty hefty Dilithium sink.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! ^^^^^^

I agree completley with all you just said
    • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! ^^^^^^

I agree completley with all you just said

I don't. Without provisions, fleets that have completed their starbase/embassy/whatever (there are a few) have no way for members to continue to earn fleet credit. Without the provision projects new members couldn't reap the benefits of being in a highly developed fleet.
      It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      chainfall wrote: »

Not only no, but HECK NO. Provisions are one of the few things in the fleet system where small fleets are not disadvantaged.
      "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Sounds like your fleet has restrictions in place to prevent the fleet supplies from getting wiped out.

Most likely they have a rank you can rise to once you've donated enough to the fleet that will allow you unfettered access to the provisions.

Maybe ask them about that or look into your fleets information as it's likely listed somewhere, you know, rather than expecting to have immediate access to everything just for blessing them with your presence in the fleet.

My fleet has this same thing in place. I kid you not we've had four new members in the last week bail within seconds of joining simply because they had to earn access to the provisions.

Too many people want a free ride and that **** isn't gonna happen in a fleet that's serious about growing.

If you want to jump fleets, go ahead, but more and more of the upper tier fleets are doing this exact thing.
    • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Its funny, I just completed and posted in our fleet forums a set of calculations of what things cost from the base, from our fleet's perspective. It will differ how some other fleets do things, we minimize dil requirements.

To max out all 3 fleet holdings
      5.8 billion ec and 47M dilithium

An example of some numbers on the post, our fleet has 115ish toons, many alts

If we used 50 elite hangar pets, each cost 270,000 dilithium and 30,000,000ec to develop those.
      If we used 50 Tier 5 ships, each cost 231,000 diliithium and 30.9M ec to develop those.
      Tac/Eng and Sci fields are costs separately.
      If we use about 250 embassy provisions, the cost is 22,000 dilithium and almost 110,000 ec.

Advanced weapons are cheap, but when you get to T5, that stuff is expensive and it makes lock box ships look cheap.

I have little patience for people who come in saying gimme gimme gimme, we did the hard work already, there is only a little left, and I expect others to pull their weight to get the best stuff in the game.

It is a shame some the corrupt leaders of fleets sell out dirty cheap for personal gain.
      Delirium Tremens
      Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
      Nothing to do anymore.
      http://dtfleet.com/
      Visit our Youtube channel
    • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Seems like what fleets need, at the most, is an option to specify how many starbase provisions a fleet member is allowed to use up per day, much like they can already do with guild bank withdrawals.

That way, when a new player joins, he can't spend a million fleet credits from his old fleet to clean out all your operational assets. (That said, there is a fairly rotten attitude (see previous poster) among fleets regarding newcomers using their old FCs. It's oh-oh-oh-so unjust when some guy comes in and spends FC he got goodness knows where on wasting your hard-wrought provisions, but there's not a peep about people who put millions in a fleet and leave and or are kicked without being compensated for all that they put in and never used. In a way, itd be like say, that if you won ten million Dollars, and you moved to Europe (let's say you like pot and hookers), you'd not be allowed to exchange your Dollars for Euroes. You'll have to git a jub and ERN urself sum of our britely colured monopolice moneyz, u deadbeat!)

Like so often, right or wrong is determined by the question: Does this cost me anything.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Reave
      edited September 2013
      hrisvalar wrote: »
      Seems like what fleets need, at the most, is an option to specify how many starbase provisions a fleet member is allowed to use up per day, much like they can already do with guild bank withdrawals.

I like that idea
      GwaoHAD.png
    • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      neoakiraii wrote: »
      I like that idea

This would be fantastic. But add a few more options to it.

Lock it by rank and allow the fleet operators/leaders to set a lifetime limit per rank.

EX: Rank 1: 1 provision usage, ever(Unless overridden by someone with the ability to do so).