test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Breen Ship and the USS/IKS Name Prefixs

admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
I just had a thought. I can't get rid of the USS name prefix from my Breen ship's name. This is probably the case for IKS prefix for KDF Breen ships also. :mad:

We have so many other ships that can have alternate name prefixes, or no name prefix at all, such as the Vulcan ship, Elachi ships, Mirror ships, etc. I think maybe even the Danube runabout. Why not the Breen ship?
2jwMZnF.gif
Winning.
It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
Oh, look, an explosion...
Post edited by admiralnat on

Comments

• tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even my Orion flies a Breen ship under the KDF flag apparently! 8P

Good suggestion though 8)
    Yeah, I'd like to see some new prefixes for ships, too.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • matixzonmatixzon Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wouldn't a Breen Confederacy ship prefix be C.B.S.?
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    matixzon wrote: »
    Wouldn't a Breen Confederacy ship prefix be C.B.S.?

Heh.

I lol'd. :D
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's not like it's written on the ship or anything and it goes back to the old if a government or Navy take control of a vessel on a permanent basis it becomes HMS, USS or whatever of the country concerned.

It was rather immersion breaking that they even put in the idea of I.S.S. and A.K.S to begin with from that point of view.
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is wrong? I was going to make a thread about this, since prefix stated which faction your ships belong to. I wasn't happy to see Romulan ships using the KDF and Fed prefixes, which means those ships belong to the fed and KDF but not the Romulan republic. All lockboxes ships shouldn't have any prefixes period.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
    edited August 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Prefixes means what service they are commissioned, nothing wrong with certain prefixes like SS, in fact the SS Tsiolkovsky was a Oberth class in Starfleet service meaning even Starfleet uses the SS registry, likewise the SS Vico had the prefix registry code of NAR and it was also a Oberth class in Starfleet service.

All very canon ...

Federation can use the above registries and prefix registry as they been in use by Starfleet, in addition we have the Temporal ships that had the NCV prefix registry, likely due to their nature as we have NX that indicated experimental ships and all Federation prefix registries we know off (NCC, NX, NAR, NCV, NFT and NSP) had N as leading. even if we dont know what exactly do such prefix mean, even NCC.

Prefix is not prefix registry, USS is not a prefix registry ... NCC is and no ship outside Federation ships actually have prefix registries.

But they do, that is what is killing me. I have never like the lockboxes but am not going to stop people from opening them, because it their choice after all, but when ships like nor lockboxes ships start using the fed or KDF registries that just too much.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    It's not like it's written on the ship or anything and it goes back to the old if a government or Navy take control of a vessel on a permanent basis it becomes HMS, USS or whatever of the country concerned.

It was rather immersion breaking that they even put in the idea of I.S.S. and A.K.S to begin with from that point of view.

Which would be fine, but from MY point of view for RP purposes, the crew of my Chel Grett are "Privateers" They don't fly KDF ships, and they don't wear any KDF markings on their uniforms. They may have started out KDF, but *I* see them as independents.

Would be nice for some other prefixes, or the ability to display none at all. Then again I have been hoping for a neutral faction for years. (Old-timers, you know... Smuggler's Alliance faction.)
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Which would be fine, but from MY point of view for RP purposes, the crew of my Chel Grett are "Privateers" They don't fly KDF ships, and they don't wear any KDF markings on their uniforms. They may have started out KDF, but *I* see them as independents.

Your crews are "Independent", and yet you seem quite happy to be using the massive infrastructure of the KDF: the starbases, vendors, exchange, tailor, shipyard and of course safe passage through KDF space. That qualifies as a reason to be a KDF commissioned starship, and thus have to use the I.K.S. prefix.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Why?

Registry indicates exactly that, the Nagato sunk as the USS Nagato on Bikini Atoll, same with the Prinz Eugen that was commissioned in the USN as USS Prinz Eugen IX-300 after the war.

Heck ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_%28WIX-327%29

Both the Federation and the Klingon Defense Force uses prefixes on ships that are COMMISSIONED into their service, they will use prefixes because they are commissioned ships in service, I can understand the I.S.S. and A.K.S. that are out of place and can only understand as being similar but different they keep their original registry numbers and prefixes in order to not create confusion that is a rather lame excuse but its still a option players have.

If you want to pretend you are a mercenary that doesnt work, J'mpok keeps calling you if you are in the KDF no matter what because the game says you are a Klingon Defense Force member no matter how much you want to act as "neural" because you arent, J'mpok keeps calling you do stuff no matter what and Admiral Quinn never does.

So what you are saying it okay for the Romulan faction to use the USS and I.K.S prefixes on their ships when they are clearly not part of the Klingon Defense Force or starfleet. Because that is my point am trying to make here.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Gentlemen, this bickering is pointless.....

Ooop.... Sorry went a little biTrekual there....

What I mean is This is a grand galaxy where many fly, many die...

The worlds are ours for the taking or for the rebuilding.....

It doesn't matter if you're KDF, FED, remnants of RSE(Romulan Star Empire), the RRS (Romulan Republic Separatists), or some future species expansion....

What matters is that the ship you fly is designed by the species that built it not by the faction that uses it and therefore should include both the species prefix AND a faction prefix
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    edited September 2013
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Gentlemen, this bickering is pointless.....

Ooop.... Sorry went a little biTrekual there....

What I mean is This is a grand galaxy where many fly, many die...

The worlds are ours for the taking or for the rebuilding.....

It doesn't matter if you're KDF, FED, remnants of RSE(Romulan Star Empire), the RRS (Romulan Republic Separatists), or some future species expansion....

What matters is that the ship you fly is designed by the species that built it not by the faction that uses it and therefore should include both the species prefix AND a faction prefix

Am sorry but I don't fellow. The point here is Romulan captain ally with Fed or KDF can use both Romulan republic navy prefix as well of their ally. So since Fed or KDF don't know how to build warbird why should they have such prefix. Since you stated it should be species not faction. The last I check Romulan where not part of the fed nor were they part of KDF.
    edited September 2013
    Your crews are "Independent", and yet you seem quite happy to be using the massive infrastructure of the KDF: the starbases, vendors, exchange, tailor, shipyard and of course safe passage through KDF space. That qualifies as a reason to be a KDF commissioned starship, and thus have to use the I.K.S. prefix.

Not entirely, he spends most of his time hanging around DS9 these days, which last time I checked wasn't a KDF facility. The same could be said back when I used to spend a lot of time at Drozana, while Drozana might be in KDF space, it is in fact a civilian, non-military installation that is open to whoever stops buy and has the latinum.

One could argue that most freelancers can get safe passage through Klingon space, provided they are selling/buying from a Klingon allied star system. Because the Klingons are a "warrior race" doesn't mean they don't protect their merchants... if they ignored merchant ships calling for help, then people wouldn't do business with them, then demand increases, then you bring in some unscrupulous Orions who drive up the price, and that makes for plenty of unhappy people.
    edited September 2013
    Why?

If you want to pretend you are a mercenary that doesnt work, J'mpok keeps calling you if you are in the KDF no matter what because the game says you are a Klingon Defense Force member no matter how much you want to act as "neural" because you arent, J'mpok keeps calling you do stuff no matter what and Admiral Quinn never does.

This argument doesn't entirely hold water...

1) I am level 50, J'mpok doesn't call me for jack. Besides, because someone USED to work for a particular faction, doesn't necessarily mean that he will forever.

2) In the course of my progression, I recall doing jobs for the Federation, the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Republic, the Defera, the Reman's, and subfactions of the Empire.

3) I don't act "neural."

If we were to stick to pre-designated factions, we'd never have lockbox ships to worry about prefixes.... we'd also never have Jem Hadar, Breen, Reman, etc BOFF'S. You'd never have a Gorn ship captained by a Borg who has a crew of Orion Slavegirls.... that's why it's called ROLEPLAYING.

I understand that by game mechanic you can never really be "independent" but does that mean even if at endgame we choose to play OUR way, we still have to carry THEIR markings?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,746 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Prefixes means what service they are commissioned, nothing wrong with certain prefixes like SS, in fact the SS Tsiolkovsky was a Oberth class in Starfleet service meaning even Starfleet uses the SS registry, likewise the SS Vico had the prefix registry code of NAR and it was also a Oberth class in Starfleet service.

All very canon ...

Federation can use the above registries and prefix registry as they been in use by Starfleet, in addition we have the Temporal ships that had the NCV prefix registry, likely due to their nature as we have NX that indicated experimental ships and all Federation prefix registries we know off (NCC, NX, NAR, NCV, NFT and NSP) had N as leading. even if we dont know what exactly do such prefix mean, even NCC.

Prefix is not prefix registry, USS is not a prefix registry ... NCC is and no ship outside Federation ships actually have prefix registries.

I wish that Cryptic would allow us to use more varied prefixes as well. There are plenty of canon examples to substantiate their use, as some are given above. It'd also be great if they'd allow us to use the various registry prefixes (also canon) that have been given as examples.

The origin of NCC on Memory Alpha according to Matt Jefferies:

"The use of NCC as a prefix for Starfleet registry numbers, Matt Jefferies said that the registries for American civil aircraft are preceded by NC, and Soviet craft used a prefix of CCCC, and as such, he more-or-less combined the two. His philosophy was, "If we do anything in space, we (Americans and Russians) have to do it together."

As far as an in-universe meaning of NCC, according to an entry on Memory Alpha:

"The 1975 publications Star Fleet Technical Manual and Star Trek Blueprints designate the abbreviation to stand for the Naval Construction Contract number of the ship."

This meaning is also referenced on Memory Beta as well as in some Star Trek novels.

Also according to Memory Alpha, ships outside of the Federation also use registries, although we don't have them for use in STO:

"On Starfleet display graphics, Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian starships have had registry numbers or identification codes without a letter prefix. These include ships like the Klingon IKS Fek'lhr (454435), Romulan warbird PWB Tomal (19386) and a Cardassian warship (5459824854). (DS9: "Image in the Sand"; TNG: "The Wounded")"
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited September 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    Am sorry but I don't fellow. The point here is Romulan captain ally with Fed or KDF can use both Romulan republic navy prefix as well of their ally. So since Fed or KDF don't know how to build warbird why should they have such prefix. Since you stated it should be species not faction. The last I check Romulan where not part of the fed nor were they part of KDF.

You're right you don't follow... here let me make it simple....

Risians build a ship....

RXS = Risian Designation

FEDS build a ship....

USS = Federation Designation

Klingons build a ship.

IKS - Klingon Designation

Romulan Seperatists build a ship...

RRW = Republic Designation

This has no bearing on the person FLYING that ship.....

Fed aligned Romulan flies a Defiant.....

Romulan can choose to Keep the Federation designation or show that this is a Romulan owned Federation ship

RRW/USS

This also extends to Klingon aligned Romlans

RRW/IKS

and from there each of the factions can obtain NON-Factioned ship can and SHOULD be able to chose either the designation of the species that created the ship OR the Species flying it

So a klingon gets to Designate the Breen Chel Grett with the breen confederacy designation OR IKS

same should be applied with the Galor, the Dominion ships, Elachi and any other future NON red/blue faction designations
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    admiralnat wrote: »
    I just had a thought. I can't get rid of the USS name prefix from my Breen ship's name. This is probably the case for IKS prefix for KDF Breen ships also. :mad:

We have so many other ships that can have alternate name prefixes, or no name prefix at all, such as the Vulcan ship, Elachi ships, Mirror ships, etc. I think maybe even the Danube runabout. Why not the Breen ship?
    TBH, only Starfleet ships should have the U.S.S. prefix - nothing else. At least with KDF, the IKS makes sense on non-Klingon ships since they are an empire, thus they are always claiming and conquering things they find and MAKING them their own.

The Federation is exactly the opposite, and I can't think of one example of a member planet or ally that had "U.S.S." in front of its name. It's the equivalent of having an American or British Naval ship have something along the lines of UNS (United Nations Ship) instead of U.S.S. or H.M.S. on it. Yeah...no. It makes ZERO sense because they are not part of a UN Naval fleet. This is especially true if several other groups are assisting. The Russians and Chinese do not automatically become UN ships just because they are on a joint venture.

It's just plain ridiculous and should be removed from all non-Federation/Starfleet ships.

As for the Romulans, neither faction's prefix should be available for them - they're not part of either the Federation NOR the Klingon Empire.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited September 2013
    and from there each of the factions can obtain NON-Factioned ship can and SHOULD be able to chose either the designation of the species that created the ship OR the Species flying it

So a klingon gets to Designate the Breen Chel Grett with the breen confederacy designation OR IKS

same should be applied with the Galor, the Dominion ships, Elachi and any other future NON red/blue faction designations

See and this is why it gets very silly very quickly in terms of immersion.

Whether you like it or not and make believe a pretend fantasy that you are some kind of freelance pirate or whathaveyou the premise of the game is that in actual fact you are a ranking officer in your factions space Navy, a military officer and a representative of that government. As such the government owns the ship you fly and the crew under you.

Naval tradition, certainly here on Earth states that if you capture, borrow, sell, steal or otherwise use a ship under a certain government you have commissioned it into your own fleet and it has it's own designation henceforth.

For example, the Americans decide they want to give the USS Nimitz to Britain (for the sake of argument) that ship is no longer the USS Nimitz, it will be the HMS Nimitz (or Whatever) because it is now a British ship flying the British Ensign.
    The same is true whether it is captured as a spoil of war, found adrift or whatever.

Because you are SUPPOSED to be an officer of your respective government that makes any ship you fly a ship of that government. So it would be entirely appropriate for a T4 Defiant to be RRW Nimitz, because that ship is now under the commission of the Romulan Republic.
    It makes no sense whatsoever for that ship to be the USS Nimitz however because it is not under the direct operation of Starfleet and is in no sense a Starfleet vessel any longer.
    Anything else is already pushing the boundaries of role play in order to make the players happy.. i.e. IRW, AKS, ISS etc.

The prefix removals for shuttles and other auxiliary craft make sense because in the T.V show most shuttles were know only by their base names for instance the shuttle Galileo was not the USS Galileo in the original series.

I'm not really in favour of removing the prefixes for any other ships because whilst the excuses for having Breen/Cardassian/Jem'Hadar ships in game are paper thin at best, they are still there to be believed as spoils of war. Starfleet and the KDF being made up of privateers and pirates on the other hand isn't believable in the slightest.

If you want to RP that you are some kind of rogue and pirate, that's all well and good but really and truthfully you can just RP away the prefix and call your ship what you like. That's the whole point of RP is it not?
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    See and this is why it gets very silly very quickly in terms of immersion.

Whether you like it or not and make believe a pretend fantasy that you are some kind of freelance pirate or whathaveyou the premise of the game is that in actual fact you are a ranking officer in your factions space Navy, a military officer and a representative of that government. As such the government owns the ship you fly and the crew under you.

Naval tradition, certainly here on Earth states that if you capture, borrow, sell, steal or otherwise use a ship under a certain government you have commissioned it into your own fleet and it has it's own designation henceforth.

For example, the Americans decide they want to give the USS Nimitz to Britain (for the sake of argument) that ship is no longer the USS Nimitz, it will be the HMS Nimitz (or Whatever) because it is now a British ship flying the British Ensign.
    The same is true whether it is captured as a spoil of war, found adrift or whatever.

Because you are SUPPOSED to be an officer of your respective government that makes any ship you fly a ship of that government. So it would be entirely appropriate for a T4 Defiant to be RRW Nimitz, because that ship is now under the commission of the Romulan Republic.
    I totally get what you're saying here, and you're absolutely right, but if these ships were "given away" then 1. they should not be flown, they should be studied a la reverse engineering, and then 2. what kind of value do they really have if they're just given away...especially to the Feds.
    edited September 2013
    If you want to RP that you are some kind of rogue and pirate, that's all well and good but really and truthfully you can just RP away the prefix and call your ship what you like. That's the whole point of RP is it not?

And THIS is the problem between trekkies and just regular people who play STO....

Only you lore-hungry nerdlingers give a TRIBBLE what is canonically correct....

Most normal players don't give a frack

It's why this entire conversation is pointless.....

Normal players want selection

Trekkies want lore-strick Trek-stroking till they can nerdgasm.... which won't happen here. Sorry.
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm in at least two minds on this.
    I say "at least" because depending how long I keep typing for, I'll probably burn through a lot of options ;)

From a logical stand point, Your chel grett or galor is a starfleet vessel, regardless of it's origin, therefore (as has already been explained more than adequately by several others) they should be U.S.S. vessels. For this reason I believe people should be limited to their factions stamped out designation.

However, I understand that most people (myself included) like the idea of customization, so you'd want the choice. Personally, I'd be happy if all ships had the choice of several, say U.S.S., S.S., none. Or you know, whatever floats your boat.

This is especially reasonable for Lock box ships, where it'd be nice to keep it's native designation. Or for the Race specific C-Store ones, again this is more appropriate for KDF.

It's reasonable to assume that the Atroxx was made for the federation, whereas the Gorn/Nausicaan/Orion ships are somewhat more ambiguous. Those races all have their own standing fleet, going back to my first paragraph it makes sense for them it be I.K.S. since they are a KDF ship, it would also be nice to have something, less appropriate.

I've always like the idea of having historical options, such as H.M.S, F.G.S., I.R.I.S. or whatever. Perhaps available in a similar manor the the NX registry. This would of course result in much hellfire from players who want to know why their 24th century U.S.S. Nexus Delphi is flying alongside the HMSm Idolator, seemingly a submarine, comissioned in the 1900s.

But Immersion breakage be damned! Players should get to do what they want! Right? Else why would they play?
    Yes, you are part of an official military organisation, so logically you should follow their conventions, but this is a game. You don't log in one day to find a message from Admiral Quinn ordering you to respond to Captain D'vaks request for assistance in the Quadra Sigma System. With failure to follow resulting in losing your commission, and a dishonorable discharge.

But then again, you can justify nearly anything if you're willing to take an argument go to such extremes.

Perhaps the/a solution would be to allow players to toggle their perception. If you don't want to see people flying I.S.S. or V.X.S. or JCB, let them just see all allies as U.S.S./I.K.S./R.R.W. I'm sure some players would dislike people not seeing them as intended, but really, who are they to force their opinion on others? That way, If somebody doesn't want to see 5 different designations of vessels, all supposedly starfleet, in one STF, then they don't have to. But those that want to fly what they like can unimpeded.

No doubt, people would find something to complain about with that, maybe suppression of free speech? or some angry rant about how the intolerant folk should stop whining and accept that people hold different opinions, while insisting everybody else hols their ideals of free speech. But then everybody ends up in redundant philisophical/ethical debates and threads get closed everywhere, followed by the inevitable civil war when the playerbase feel the mods are suppressing their rights to hate each other. Then comes the violent coup, and-

You know what, I think I'm getting a bit too off topic there... You get what I'm saying though.
    And THIS is the problem between trekkies and just regular people who play STO....

Leave the thread?

:rolleyes:
    edited September 2013
    similon wrote: »
    I've always like the idea of having historical options, such as H.M.S, F.G.S., I.R.I.S. or whatever. Perhaps available in a similar manor the the NX registry. This would of course result in much hellfire from players who want to know why their 24th century U.S.S. Nexus Delphi is flying alongside the HMSm Idolator, seemingly a submarine, comissioned in the 1900s.

This is what I meant about it getting silly really quickly. There is no call for ships to be called HMS in this game, arguably in the 24th century there is no monarchy.
    But Immersion breakage be damned! Players should get to do what they want! Right? Else why would they play?
    Yes, you are part of an official military organisation, so logically you should follow their conventions, but this is a game. You don't log in one day to find a message from Admiral Quinn ordering you to respond to Captain D'vaks request for assistance in the Quadra Sigma System. With failure to follow resulting in losing your commission, and a dishonorable discharge.

Well no, on that same token this is a Star Trek game and we should follow at least some semblance of the IP or it wouldn't be Star Trek. There is a reason why you won't see Star Destroyers and Battlestars in this game.
    Perhaps the/a solution would be to allow players to toggle their perception. If you don't want to see people flying I.S.S. or V.X.S. or JCB, let them just see all allies as U.S.S./I.K.S./R.R.W. I'm sure some players would dislike people not seeing them as intended, but really, who are they to force their opinion on others? That way, If somebody doesn't want to see 5 different designations of vessels, all supposedly starfleet, in one STF, then they don't have to. But those that want to fly what they like can unimpeded.

That's a really silly suggestion but then I guess it's supposed to be given the rest of your argument.
    How many people actually use these options anyway? Very few; Needs of the many and all that..
    You dont have to give such a theoretical argument, under the Destroyers for Bases Agreement 50 mothballed destroyers were transferred to the UK, they were the British named Town class despite being from the Caldwell, Wickes and Clemson classes.

As a example, the USS Herndon became the HMS Churchill and later Deyatelny when it was transferred to the Soviet navy.

I understand, however I anticipated the poster wouldn't appreciate a history lesson as is evidenced by his rather futile flame attempt.

Normal players want selection

Trekkies want lore-strick Trek-stroking till they can nerdgasm.... which won't happen here. Sorry.

Thank you for your outright attack because I dared to disagree with you.

"Normal" people play a Star Trek game because they like Star Trek not because they want to play Star Wars/Battlestar/Mass Effect/Star Citizen/Eve but can't afford it.
    Most "normal" people play a game the way it is intended to be played and most "normal" people don't go into Indian Restaurants and demand that they are served cheeseburgers.

You and others can pretend you're Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon all you want, that's up to you, it doesn't mean that the whole game should be turned into that to fulfill that fantasy.
    edited September 2013
    @Sunseahl; it is you who doesn't get the whole thing. Romulan captains are in the service of the Romulan navy not the starfleet nor Klingon defence force. take the Vulcan defence force as an example, they are part of the federation but they don't use the USS prefix, so why should another faction like the Romulans navy allow it captain to use another faction prefix. It doesn't make sense. Even the Cardassian who are under the control of the federation don't use the starfleet prefix on the local system defence force. So please don't tell me they have no bearing of the one flying the ship because they do. The only reason faction would want to keep a prefix is if they want to use the vessel to Infiltrate the faction which the vessel belong. If you want more example take the Bajoran, before they became a member world of the federation, and were Affiliated with the federation why didn't they add the federation prefix to their ships. The B'rel class ship use by the Ferengi in the TNG episode Rascals, why didn't they keep the KDf prefix. So you see they do have bearing.
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is what I meant about it getting silly really quickly. There is no call for ships to be called HMS in this game, arguably in the 24th century there is no monarchy.

Well no, on that same token this is a Star Trek game and we should follow at least some semblance of the IP or it wouldn't be Star Trek. There is a reason why you won't see Star Destroyers and Battlestars in this game.

That's a really silly suggestion but then I guess it's supposed to be given the rest of your argument.
    How many people actually use these options anyway? Very few; Needs of the many and all that..

Yeah, try not to take anything I say too seriously - I'm prone to hyperbole, exagerations, Reductio ad absurdum or whatever you feel like calling it, in order to demonstrate my point. If I argue to the extremes on both sides, it leaves less space for people to do the same in a retort. It may not make sense, but it makes life more fun ;)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. It all comes down to how seriously you want to take the game, and what you want to get out of it. You could argue that somebody who wants to be a privateer, or to fly the H.M.S. Shiptacular should just go and play a game that facilitates such things.

Although, there is the fact that some people just want their own take on ST, or happen to really like the game mechanics, or hell, perhaps they just like the idea of naming their own ship!

So just how accommodating should cryptic be? As I said before, I can't make up my own mind on this, so I'm definitely not going to tell others what they should think on it. I just like to point out that their are 2 very reasonable and logical sides to this debate. Perhaps not equally so, but valid nonetheless.

If I was forced to pick, I would be on the more restrictive side, just to reduce clutter, complaints and Cryptics workload.
    snip

I honestly understand that people want to play their own game and by their own rules, but unfortunately this isn't a sandbox type MMO. There are plenty of games out there where you can be what you want, do what you want, call your ships what you want etc. but these aren't free to play in the same way as this is.

Flexibility choice and options are all great, but there is only so far you can logically go before this stops being Star Trek Online and starts to become Generic Space Sim Online.
    In the same way if you start adjusting the rules of Baseball and make them more like Cricket, you're not playing Baseball you're playing Cricket.
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for your outright attack because I dared to disagree with you.

"Normal" people play a Star Trek game because they like Star Trek not because they want to play Star Wars/Battlestar/Mass Effect/Star Citizen/Eve but can't afford it.
    Most "normal" people play a game the way it is intended to be played and most "normal" people don't go into Indian Restaurants and demand that they are served cheeseburgers.

You and others can pretend you're Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon all you want, that's up to you, it doesn't mean that the whole game should be turned into that to fulfill that fantasy.

I didn't attack you....

I never said that i wanted a Millennium Falcon..... In fact I'd prefer the ship from Flight of the Navigator.

I actually did come to STO because i was no longer able to pay for EVE AND enjoyed Star Trek in my youth AND liked that it was free to play so that assertion can go right up your spotted owl....

Anyway, the reason this thread is pointless is because normal players want options...

Meanwhile all the Trekkies want "correctness."

Well guess what? You can't be both and you can't be neither. Now, you can claim to be a victim all you wish, truth is people who want complete and utter lore correctness in this game fail to even understand the nature of Star Trek as an MMO... 100% lore correctness as you MAKE LORE is impossible... end of story.

You can counter argue people who want Breen, Galor, Dominion and what ever else ship they make's designations but making it about rescinding designations because-

*Ancient Aliens Guy* "Lore"

-is like arguing for the reduction in size of DS9... it's just you guys stroking your "Look at me I know lore and you gotta fix this cause it's wrong" ego and it's NOT gonna happen, in fact, it's only going to get worse in your opinion.

alikain wrote: »
    @Sunseahl; it is you who doesn't get the whole thing. Romulan captains are in the service of the Romulan navy not the starfleet nor Klingon defence force. take the Vulcan defence force as an example, they are part of the federation but they don't use the USS prefix, so why should another faction like the Romulans navy allow it captain to use another faction prefix. It doesn't make sense. Even the Cardassian who are under the control of the federation don't use the starfleet prefix on the local system defence force. So please don't tell me they have no bearing of the one flying the ship because they do. The only reason faction would want to keep a prefix is if they want to use the vessel to Infiltrate the faction which the vessel belong. If you want more example take the Bajoran, before they became a member world of the federation, and were Affiliated with the federation why didn't they add the federation prefix to their ships. The B'rel class ship use by the Ferengi in the TNG episode Rascals, why didn't they keep the KDf prefix. So you see they do have bearing.

See above
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do kinda remember the days when you had no choice. My first mirror ship IIRC, was stuck with the USS designation.

The system the game operates on isn't perfect, there has to be some sort of give and take between "following canon" and "making a playable game". We can't have every single thing we want the game to be, since that will alienate someone else. I freely admit I joined this game as a Trekkie, I wanted a better challenge from other Trek games, since I knew MMO games evolved over time.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
    edited September 2013
    I didn't attack you....

I never said that i wanted a Millennium Falcon..... In fact I'd prefer the ship from Flight of the Navigator.

I actually did come to STO because i was no longer able to pay for EVE AND enjoyed Star Trek in my youth AND liked that it was free to play so that assertion can go right up your spotted owl....

You did attack me, you called me abnormal by inference along with many other things by association and you continue to be outright offensive. Bravo.

So because ironically, you did come here because you could no longer afford to play EvE and are advocating making it more like that, how am I wrong and why should I take that fact and shove it where the sun doesn't shine? To politely paraphrase you.

Simple fact of the matter is, the game mechanics do not support the sandbox type thing you are used to. The setting is fixed and you have a set identity, you can pretend otherwise but that is your own imagination doesn't mean the game should support it indeed it can't because it's not been designed that way. If you don't like the set menu, try another restaurant.

You don't like the suggestions put forward by people about what is proper and canon about how a ship should be named. That's fine, but provide a cogent argument as to why people should do things your way that don't include petty insults.
    edited September 2013
    You did attack me, you called me abnormal by inference along with many other things by association and you continue to be outright offensive. Bravo.

You know what? If you think trekkie is a term to make you "abnormal" then fine by me. that's your issue, not mine.
    So because ironically, you did come here because you could no longer afford to play EvE and are advocating making it more like that, how am I wrong and why should I take that fact and shove it where the sun doesn't shine? To politely paraphrase you.

I never made a thread that said I should be able to steal, scam and generally Starfleet Dental(Goonswarm Federation) players when ever i wanted.... nor have I advocated making STO "Spreadsheets Online." In that assertion you are wrong to accuse me of advocating making this game any more complicated.... I never advocated for territory control.... Others have.... I never wanted PVP like other MMOs... Others did.

All I've ever wanted from STO is a good story and it's only NOW that that's even somewhat happening. and even though it's a small start so far I am grateful for it.

Sure I do criticize STO, and rightfully so for stumbling face first into bugs I never knew existed because of a setup i never used only to find out it's BEEN a bug for a long time but you can hardly call that me wanting STO to be EVE.
    Simple fact of the matter is, the game mechanics do not support the sandbox type thing you are used to. The setting is fixed and you have a set identity, you can pretend otherwise but that is your own imagination doesn't mean the game should support it indeed it can't because it's not been designed that way. If you don't like the set menu, try another restaurant.

again.... This discussion is not about me jumping in the the most expensive ship on the market... fitting it with super powered weapons and going out to generally pound people in a PvP setting... OH WAIT... THIS GAME HAS THAT ALREADY!

At this point i'm not sure if you're even competent to know what "sandbox" means, let alone claim that others are arguing for it, when the discussion at hand is the PREFIX ON A SHIP NAME, not me going wherever the hell i feel like and getting my ship trashed or thrashing others ships.

You don't like the suggestions put forward by people about what is proper and canon about how a ship should be named. That's fine, but provide a cogent argument as to why people should do things your way that don't include petty insults.

"What is proper and canon" CAN NOT WORK 100% ALL THE TIME IN STO.... It's an MMO, not an air once set in stone TV series....

the content is persistent, dynamic and all around fluid in it's existence.... Just look at LoR in which the entire Romulan Feature Series arc was CHANGED based on just introducing ONE new playable half-faction.

You can NOT claim to have any sort of correctness on your side because you know "lore" or can read a wiki on the issue when the entire GAME can be changed like a snap from Q's fingers. Debating "lore" in a fluid-lore environment is like a Republican screaming any manner of obscenities and blame at chandelier because the power went out. It doesn't turn the power back on it just makes YOU look self-righteous.