test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suffixes are for the registry

edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'll be straight to the point, does it ever irritate anyone else to see other ships named "USS Example D" with the registry suffix included in the name? Every time I see it, a pedantic little voice in my head screams at me that I should be annoyed that people don't use ship registries correctly. Can someone please tell me I'm not alone?

Disclaimer: I completely accept that this is an issue with me and not the ship-namers. I am not telling these people that they shouldn't put a suffix in the name if they choose to; it's just a game and everyone is entitled to play it however they want. I am just trying to ascertain if anyone else feels the same way I do.
Post edited by edwardianed on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some people just aren't born with the competence that the rest of us have. That, and/or they're unable to be original.

It irritated me also, but there isn't anything that can be done about it by us mere mortals.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think we see a lot of this because you can't name your ships the same names. As someone climbs they ship tiers, they may use the same ship name (Much like in the show, all "Enterprise", but "NCC-1701, -A, -B, etc.)

However, in game, you can't name all your ships the same name with different numbers, so I think people use the -A, -B, etc. in the name.

I agree it's weird. I think it's just people trying to work around the system limitations when they have multiple ships with the same name.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since Klingon and Romulan vessels don't have registry numbers, I have been known to name a ship "I.K.S. Seductress" and another one later on as "I.K.S. Seductress II," but I put the registry letter in the registry for my Fed ships ('cause, you know, I know Trek). But I've never had two ship names the same on the Fed side.
  • packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've actually always wondered with putting a letter in the registry section means it will show up when someone looks at my ship in sector space.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It feels wierd doing it (yes... my ships used to use the same naming convention with the -A, -B .... suffixes). I've since found a way around it.

The problem is that you can't have more than one ship named something... Dispite the fact that we have the option to have the A, B, C suffixes for our registry.

Now if they used those as a Unique key, it would be a start, and would fix the problem.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Now if they used those as a Unique key, it would be a start, and would fix the problem.

I quite agree there. I find it so odd that you can have ten starships with different names, but the exact same registry, but not visa versa :confused:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I quite agree there. I find it so odd that you can have ten starships with different names, but the exact same registry, but not visa versa :confused:

Especially since we know Canon allows for the latter...

NCC-1764 Defiant (Connie-class)
    NX-74205 (and assumingly NCC-74205) Defiant (Defiant class).

Seperate registry's same names.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's been annoying me ever since Star Trek: Save the Whales. Ship names get recycled, but hull numbers are not reused with a silly letter attached.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll be straight to the point, does it ever irritate anyone else to see other ships named "USS Example D" with the registry suffix included in the name? Every time I see it, a pedantic little voice in my head screams at me that I should be annoyed that people don't use ship registries correctly. Can someone please tell me I'm not alone?

Disclaimer: I completely accept that this is an issue with me and not the ship-namers. I am not telling these people that they shouldn't put a suffix in the name if they choose to; it's just a game and everyone is entitled to play it however they want. I am just trying to ascertain if anyone else feels the same way I do.

I am 100% with you there...
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    for the record the second DS9 Defiant was supposed to be 74205-A, but they never got around to making that canon becuase they mostly used stock shots of the pervious one.

If you hover close to the current in game Defiant during "Boldy they rode", she's 74205-C.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1. Look at any real world ship. It is not spelled H.M.S. It is spelled HMS, without any punctuation at all. For example, The HMS Queen Elizabeth. So one thing that must be done is Cryptic entirely removing the periods in the prefix.

2. I very much want an HMS prefix. Always having to fly around in a USS ship is something that becomes an irritation after a while.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »
    2. I very much want an HMS prefix. Always having to fly around in a USS ship is something that becomes an irritation after a while.

But Starfleet ships are not associated with the Royal Navy (or any Monarch), surely HMS would make no sense?
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So in a time of a Quadrant-wide United Federation of Planets, the entirety of Starfleet is run solely by United States? I cannot speak for Andorian or Vulcan ships, but every Earth ship I have ever seen on screen is using the United States Ship (USS) prefix. Does that make any sense either. I say not.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »
    So in a time of a Quadrant-wide United Federation of Planets, the entirety of Starfleet is run solely by United States? I cannot speak for Andorian or Vulcan ships, but every Earth ship I have ever seen on screen is using the United States Ship (USS) prefix.

USS in Star Trek = United Star Ship, as in the United Federation of Planets. Not United States Ship.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If anything it should be FSS - Federation Starfleet Ship
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chainfall wrote: »
    If anything it should be FSS - Federation Starfleet Ship

If I remember correctly, FSS actually means "Federation Star Ship", and was the designation used for civilian ships. USS was United Starfleet Ship, and was used for the military ships. (Yes, EVERY Starfleet ship is a military ship, since Starfleet is tasked with securing the Federation against any and all threats, in addition to their exploration and diplomatic mandates.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The only time I get a little confused is when their ships name comes out as.

U.S.S. USS EXAMPLE-A A

That just makes no sense at all.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013

This annoys me too.

This and idiotic misspellings, like the other day I saw a Scamitar named the IRW Predater. I mean, really? You have fifty bucks to drop on a ship but you can't spell "predator"? Oh, and this genius was using his thalaron pulse on the Valdore in KASE, but that's a whole 'nother pet peeve...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, FSS actually means "Federation Star Ship", and was the designation used for civilian ships. USS was United Starfleet Ship, and was used for the military ships. (Yes, EVERY Starfleet ship is a military ship, since Starfleet is tasked with securing the Federation against any and all threats, in addition to their exploration and diplomatic mandates.)

I don't ever recall a FSS ever...they were usually just called SS something, or just a name and no SS.

USS was either for United Star ship or United Space ship, depending on which way you want to go with Kirk

as for StarFleet being military...that goes back and forth so many times.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The only time I get a little confused is when their ships name comes out as.

U.S.S. USS EXAMPLE-A A

That just makes no sense at all.
    LOL. I see a lot of USS USS somethings and even more RRW IRW Warbirds out there.

It always reminds me of my local baseball team, the Los Angeles Angels. If you translate the name of the city from Spanish, the team is the The Angels Angels. :D
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My biggest personal pet peeve is when someone names their ship an intentional misspelling of "Enterprise" or "Voyager", or just anything silly (I see a lot of T.A.R.D.I.S oriented names).

I see the name "Endeavour" a lot. It's funny, because I actually name a few ships that. I thought I was being clever, naming it after a famous ship of my home country (Australia).
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for bringing this up! I try to stick to traditions established in canon, but I messed up on this one, naming one of my character's cruisers the USS Potemkin-A, the USS Potemkin-B, & the USS Potemkin-C. After reading this I will be renaming the USS Potemkin-C (NCC-98253-C) to the USS Potemkin (NCC-98253-C). Should this character ever acquire a new cruiser, the USS Potemkin will revert to being named the USS Potemkin-C, while the new ship will be christened the USS Potemkin (NCC-98253-D).
  • crabbycabbycrabbycabby Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    This annoys me too.

This and idiotic misspellings, like the other day I saw a Scamitar named the IRW Predater. I mean, really? You have fifty bucks to drop on a ship but you can't spell "predator"? Oh, and this genius was using his thalaron pulse on the Valdore in KASE, but that's a whole 'nother pet peeve...

This might make sense for a time ship; pre-dater.

Or for a time traveling pervert.... :confused:
    Proudly F2P
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    why are you concerning yourself on how others choose to name their ships ?

cgta1967 wrote: »

Did you bother reading the original post? clearly its a pet peeve and isnt downing other people nor sayin it can't or shouldn't be done.

I am annoyed that people dont read all the way through before posting.

ALL that being said, it annoys the hell out of my that i cannot take the USS Defiance, NCC 97101 a TOS connie and at the next level make her the USS Defiance NCC 1701-A when she gets to the connie refit or exeter stage.

now for cross sectioning ships like making a miranda into say a sao paulo and tossing a -A on it doesn't make sense, same thing with going from say a rhode island to an intrepid.

but i still feel like as long as that -A or -B is placed after the registry number it shouldn't be qualified as same name.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You are not alone in this.. I even explain it to my son, when he started to play... "never in the name, always in the registry"
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited August 2013
    people can name their ships what they want...if they want a "Shipname D"....it's not really your concern is it ?

you guys sound like jerks belittling people who may actually enjoy the names they use.

so there.

shame on you.
    cgta1967 wrote: »

I refer you to my disclaimer:

:D
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    now for cross sectioning ships like making a miranda into say a sao paulo and tossing a -A on it doesn't make sense, same thing with going from say a rhode island to an intrepid.

Why not? If the enterprise can go from constitution to excelsior to ambassador to galaxy to sovereign, why can't a captain keep the same name for his ship when going from a rhode island to an intrepid?
    edited August 2013
    shame on you !