test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suffixes are for the registry

2»

Comments

• tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't have an issue with this at all. People name their ships all sorts of stuff. I'll take USS Yorktown A over RRW Greasynuthairz any day of the week.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »
    2. I very much want an HMS prefix. Always having to fly around in a USS ship is something that becomes an irritation after a while.
    They should allow the HMS prefix on all the alien ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When I first started, I wondered why everyone was doing that. Then I got to the refit connie level, and rp'd my miranda (USS DarkFyre) destroyed in kerrat thanks to an ambush, and my new connie was the DarkFyre A. The A went in the registry, same number, but discovered I couldn't name it that. So I got rid of my Miranda and made the DF-A properly. Now I understand why people do it, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Incidentally, my Sovereign also has the prefix C, after the Sentinel-B from the Invasion game. Just a shame I had to shove a 9 on the start of the registry for it to work.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I put the suffix in the ships' names which I mothball in the shipyard and have my current ship have the registry suffix.

Although technically the Hero ships from the shows were unique in that regard, no other ship had a registry suffix. Though I still use it somewhat unconventional as my Starships have an "R" suffix for both of them on my fed toons are "retrofit" versions.

As far as the "HMS" prefix goes - like other people stated, USS stands for "United Space Ship" and is used by Starfleet vessels whereas civilian craft use "SS" or no prefix at all. It wouldn't make sense to include everyones desired national prefix, although considering how screwed up this game is it wouldn't matter anyway. I just don't get what's so important about that, I see a lot of players including their nationality in either their names or ship names...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll be straight to the point, does it ever irritate anyone else to see other ships named "USS Example D" with the registry suffix included in the name? Every time I see it, a pedantic little voice in my head screams at me that I should be annoyed that people don't use ship registries correctly. Can someone please tell me I'm not alone?

Disclaimer: I completely accept that this is an issue with me and not the ship-namers. I am not telling these people that they shouldn't put a suffix in the name if they choose to; it's just a game and everyone is entitled to play it however they want. I am just trying to ascertain if anyone else feels the same way I do.

I feel the same weird way when I see a ship name including the suffix. Or when I encounter one of the thoulsands "original" Enterprizes, 3nt3rprise3, Enterpreis-D or such.
    In short this:
    flash525 wrote: »
    Some people just aren't born with the competence that the rest of us have. That, and/or they're unable to be original.

It irritated me also, but there isn't anything that can be done about it by us mere mortals.

But to be honest, in a big way Cryptic is to be blamed for this. They could and should let people name their ships with the same name if they have different registry number. So if I wan't to keep the name of my ship throughout the whole experience and different ships I use, I'm able to by just adjusting the registry names not to be the same.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am so glad that other people feel the same way as I do (in agreement with the OP).

What pains me more than incorrect nomenclature, however, is people who imitate (either well or poorly) characters and/or ships from a completely different era of Trek. Last week I ran into one captain Sisko flying a Defiant in Ker'rat. Given the myriad of opportunities available to create something new and unique, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to engage their imaginations and develop something personal.

packer3434 wrote: »
    I've actually always wondered with putting a letter in the registry section means it will show up when someone looks at my ship in sector space.

The ship name and registry is visible on your ship to other players and vice versa. You just need to look closely enough! (This can be tricky given the limitations of the game's camera angles.)
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    again.....people can play the game however they want.

nobody need you to belittle them for the way they play the game.

you say you guys aren't doing that in this thread,.......but you indeed are.

.,,,not cool at all IMO.
    In sector space my ship name shows up not my reg #, adding the letter to the name is for distant viewing, its that simple.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    starblade7 wrote: »
    What pains me more than incorrect nomenclature, however, is people who imitate (either well or poorly) characters and/or ships from a completely different era of Trek. Last week I ran into one captain Sisko flying a Defiant in Ker'rat. Given the myriad of opportunities available to create something new and unique, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to engage their imaginations and develop something personal

Some people want to play as their favourite characters. They may do that to pretend they are playing a (for example) DS9 game. Since one does not exist, this would be the closest they can get.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    As far as the "HMS" prefix goes - like other people stated, USS stands for "United Space Ship"
    It is the acronym for United States Ship. Now you know who rules the galaxy!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is the acronym for United States Ship. Now you know who rules the galaxy!

Sooooo you did not watch the show???:confused:

I could have sworn Picard was the greatest English speaking, Shakespeare loving, Tea Drinking Frenchmen.

I'm pretty sure you know USS means United Star Ship in Star Trek
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited August 2013
    obviously someone didnt get the joke. ....
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Sooooo you did not watch the show???:confused:

I could have sworn Picard was the greatest English speaking, Shakespeare loving, Tea Drinking Frenchmen.

I'm pretty sure you know USS means United Star Ship in Star Trek
    France becomes a colony of the United States in the year 2135. It's canon.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

As much as that's a running joke, it's not really as ridiculous as most people think. For a good 400 years or so the whole notion of national differences was a joke with the amount of inter-marriage and throne-squabbling that went down.
    edited August 2013
    you'd think since humanity on earth got all lovey dovey in the future they would use UES (united earth ship) or somethin ...
    France becomes a colony of the United States in the year 2135. It's canon.

Well duuuuh, I mean really not that far fetched , it's most likely going to be one of those Trek things that becomes real like flip phones.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As much as that's a running joke, it's not really as ridiculous as most people think. For a good 400 years or so the whole notion of national differences was a joke with the amount of inter-marriage and throne-squabbling that went down.

Well duhhh, the Royal Family is of German decent. There is a whole lot of mingling over on that island after a few hundred years. In fact I believe one of the Georges did not know English.... Oh yeah this American knows things outside the U.S :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well duhhh, the Royal Family is of German decent. There is a whole lot of mingling over on that island after a few hundred years. In fact I believe one of the Georges did not know English.... Oh yeah this American knows things outside the U.S :P

The Stuarts were actually founded by a Scottish King if memory serves (though if you want to go really nuts they do trace themselves back to the Norman Conquest in 1066), but over the course of three hundred years or so they got around most of Europe. That was back in the days when you couldn't swing a back of cats without hitting somebody with a claim on several European thrones though.
  • starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    again.....people can play the game however they want.

nobody need you to belittle them for the way they play the game.

you say you guys aren't doing that in this thread,.......but you indeed are.

.,,,not cool at all IMO.

I think you'll find that saying "I don't like XYZ" is not belittling; it is simply stating an opinion.
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013

All it means is we finally got France back :D. I'd love a HMS prefix though
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!