test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (August 22, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• hmauricec188hmauricec188 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Instead of changing the icon on the consoles you should fix them so that they actually work like for example the Directed energy distribution manifold it doesn't work with antiproton beam array and also prefire chamber it doesn't work on all cannons and turrets.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it was widely announced that the cloack is a mistake, and that it will be removed, so buying it after the announcement then asking for a refund is a noo noo.

same as with disruptor nerf.... sorry i mean "fixxxxxx" do some research.

so sorry little bukaneer, no refund, arrgggh

A forum post is not exactly "widely announced", most people don't visit the forums, let alone finding a devpost in some thread if you aren't specifically searching for it.

And I did some research. The only comparable case are, as linked in my first post, the Andorian Phasers. Their stats were as much a mistake as the rouge cloak, and there Cryptic offered a refund.
  • pvpdictator1pvpdictator1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A forum post is not exactly "widely announced", most people don't visit the forums, let alone finding a devpost in some thread if you aren't specifically searching for it.

And I did some research. The only comparable case are, as linked in my first post, the Andorian Phasers. Their stats were as much a mistake as the rouge cloak, and there Cryptic offered a refund.

oke, but, this id easy exploiteble,

if i buy, say, 3 monbosh ships off the exchange, so i dont pay any lobi myself, and i turn all 3 in for lobi, i basicly get 2400 lobi, they are never gonna do that.

about the phasers, people did buy the phasers from dilithuim, so the "payment" couldnt be payed from anything else then your own stack of dil.

lobi ships are on the exchange, so for the rich people here, its a infinite way of getting lobi....... you see the difference?
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, turning off the ship so it wasn't buyable as soon as you realized there was an issue with it, would have been the proper response, along with the announcement.

Just announcing it, but leaving it available to purchase, isn't enough.

As with any game, the amount of people who even look (or are even aware they exist) at the forums at least once a month, is a relatively small fraction of the player base.

But, as usual, (and sorry to be cynical, but I've had way too much experience with the way things go when money is a part of how people decide things), when it comes down to choosing which way to go, between doing right by the customer, and doing right by the balance sheet, it is always the customer who ends up on the losing side of it.

And again, sorry to be cynical, but this was a thoroughly predictable outcome. Turning off the ability to purchase the mis-configured ship, while being the right thing to do, would have also been a complete shocker of a surprise, as it would go against what we've come to expect from companies. We, the customer, don't come first. So, when we do? We don't forget it, and who did it. Companies who make those kinds of choices, in our favor, end up earning our loyalty in big ways.

Just my 2 slips...

-- Smoov

ps: Oh... and "widely announced", is not posting a note somewhere on the forums, even if you place a link to the thread, in the header of the main forum page. Placing a note in the red box instead, in the launcher, (the same place your announcement about the upcoming downtime is), would qualify as "widely announced" as everyone would see that as they log in, independent of the forums, so even infrequent forum visitors, or the "I-never-read-the-forums" visitors, or even the "Woah-wait-we-have-forums!?" visitors, would see the announcement.
  • drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tnx for fixing Subspace Integration Circuit console
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

if i buy, say, 3 monbosh ships off the exchange, so i dont pay any lobi myself, and i turn all 3 in for lobi, i basicly get 2400 lobi, they are never gonna do that.

about the phasers, people did buy the phasers from dilithuim, so the "payment" couldnt be payed from anything else then your own stack of dil.

lobi ships are on the exchange, so for the rich people here, its a infinite way of getting lobi....... you see the difference?

I really fail to see how that is even an exploit. All you can do with lobi is buy ok ships, good consoles, some vanity stuff, and useless trinkets. Basically all of the 800 lobi ships have the same relative value on the exchange, or at least they did last time I looked so trading that one in to get another one isn't really an exploit.

Once again it is either a bait and switch or just incompetence. Neither one is good.
    pvp = small package
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it was widely announced that the cloack is a mistake, and that it will be removed, so buying it after the announcement then asking for a refund is a noo noo.

I'm not interested in Elachi ships. Still, having said that, you can't tell me, with a straight face, that the cloak was a 'mistake.' One would hope the devs make conscientious deliberations, balance-wise and all, as to what should find its way on a new ship. And one would certainly hope cloaks don't just 'accidentally' get added to a ship. And even if it did, somehow, one would hope the QA department (you do have one, right, Cryptic?!) would notice in time.

So, let's just call it what it is: they simply changed their minds. And it was a solid rectification at that, as the cloak was just too much. It *is* disconcerting, though, that none of the devs came to this conclusion prior to releasing the ship. I don't think anyone is entitled to a refund, though; but the error (in judgment, and what not) was clearly on Cryptic's side -- I want to be at least clear on that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    ... but the error (in judgment, and what not) was clearly on Cryptic's side -- I want to be at least clear on that.
    Absolutely nobody is claiming otherwise...

-- Smoov
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    Our weekly scheduled maintenance has begun! We expect downtime to last for 2.5 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'm fully aware that refunding Monboshs is not as easy as refunding those phasers. But I for one just don't see why the players should suffer Cryptics oversights?

Some dev made the ship. Why didn't he notice the cloak?
    QA should have had tested the ship. Why didn't they notice the cloak?
    After the ship went live: Why was there no hotfix to remove cloak? Why was the ship left available for the whole week? Why was there no general announcement about the issue (entry on the front page, ingame announcement, announcement within the launcher ect.)

If for the last week the red announcement/maintenance text within the launcher stated "Monboshs cloak is a mistake, we will remove it the next patch!", I wouldn't complain. But all they did was a forum post, fully aware that most players wouldn't read it. And thus just removing cloak is insufficient, because it punishes the players for cryptics own faults, oversights and laziness.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think a refund for the battleship would be the right thing to do in the form of Lobi. It doesn't cost Cryptic/PWE anything and it gives players who own it the choice on whether to keep it or not. This seems like something quality control and testing should have caught before it went live but that's clearly another debatable issue with this game.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...then you couldn't have bought the ship BECAUSE of the cloak. The cloak isn't listed anywhere. If one bought the ship BECAUSE of the cloak then where one had the info about the presence of the cloak from?
    edited August 2013
    I think a refund for the battleship would be the right thing to do in the form of Lobi. It doesn't cost Cryptic/PWE anything and it gives players who own it the choice on whether to keep it or not. This seems like something quality control and testing should have caught before it went live but that's clearly another debatable issue with this game.

Their quality control consists of just making sure the server doesn't crash immediately. As long as the server makes it for 5 minutes, the product is obviously perfect.
    jjumetley wrote: »
    ...then you couldn't have bought the ship BECAUSE of the cloak. The cloak isn't listed anywhere. If one bought the ship BECAUSE of the cloak then where one had the info about the presence of the cloak from?

Probably from people talking about how it DID have a cloak?
    pvp = small package
  • verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

thing is the cloak was not listed as a power on the box, not listed as a power in the blog, infact was not listed as a power anywhere by any official, or simi official, subject to change, stats by Cyrptic.

So the only place people found about the cloak from was A. players, B.Cryptics post about it and how it shouldn't have one.

So you have three people

A. bought it, found out it had a cloak, said oh neat, and carried on, might nto like it being removed per say, might not care, but didn't buy it for the cloak.

B. bought it because they heard form players it had a cloak, but didn't do any reading, checking, or read the box, aka Uninformed buyers, and only bought it because of the cloak. who are now bent out of shape because they didn't bother to do some fact finding on it first.

and last

C. Bought it knowing full well the cloak wasn't listed but was there, and that it was a mistake, hoping cryptic would be forced to leave it, and likely the most vocal of the complainers now that its being removed.

I heard it had a cloak from players, I didn't plan to buy it, but I went and did some checking, both on the lobi both, and the two blogs, because I didn't remember that being mentioned, and it wasn't, anywhere.

So sorry

if your part of group A, its not why you bought it, if your part of group B, its your own damn fault for not going and reading up on something your paying cash money for before paying it. and if your part of group C. you knew better, and your just trying too get something that shouldn't havnt been there in the first place.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abit disopointed in elachi console fix they should atleast add a small grav well effect to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Our weekly scheduled maintenance has begun! We expect downtime to last for 2.5 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Does today's update include a fix for the tailor CTD? Or how about the dilithium weapon still shooting from the floor?
    edited August 2013
    Personally I can't begin to understand how players are somehow getting blamed for Cryptic's mistake by other players in this thread.

Cryptic either put the cloak on it deliberately and didn't say anything about it, to increase word of mouth sales, or Cryptic was incompetent and included a cloak on the ship by mistake.

Neither of these things are the players' fault.
    pvp = small package
    edited August 2013
    I really fail to see how that is even an exploit. All you can do with lobi is buy ok ships, good consoles, some vanity stuff, and useless trinkets. Basically all of the 800 lobi ships have the same relative value on the exchange, or at least they did last time I looked so trading that one in to get another one isn't really an exploit.

Once again it is either a bait and switch or just incompetence. Neither one is good.

oke, lets say it this way: how does one obtain dilithuim? is it rare, or common?

how does one obtain lobi crystals? are they rare, or common?

lobi come's from boxes, boxes needs to be opend with keys, keys come from zen, people buy zen with real money.
    and yes, keys are on the exchange aswell, and yes dilithuim to zen exchnage is possible, but to get the zen for dill, or keys for ec, there must be someone, who did use real money first....

so, again, whats more expensive? dilithuim ( or weapons you can buy with dilithuim) or lobi ( and ships you can buy with 800 lobi) ?

and, lobi is account bound, console's are not for sale on the exchange, so if you have a packed monbosh, send it over to a second toon, and sell it there for 800 lobi, voila, you have a full 3/3 set on a second toon, without openeing 1 single box for it. for example the tachyokinetic converter is a hot item, the new elchi console and torpedo/heavy crescent gun. for some people with the romulan timeship the whole 3/3 temporal set is intresting....to many ways to use that in a bad way.

and i'm sure i did forget to add some more ways of exploiting the proposall, but yes, it can be clearly used as an exploit, and dont get me wrong, i do think that its indeed a big error that a ship come's with a cloack, ( even if we all know that the elachi vessels didnt use cloack,so common sense dictate's that the player version doesnt have them aswell) but that a refund is not in its place, people could know that it is a mistake,and buying a ship because it have a cloack, and then demanding a refund,because a missplaced cloack gets deleted. while the ship still is fine and does perform its job perfectly, thats a little bit silly.
  • minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    From what I can see everyone here is crying that their won/purchased Elachi ships are getting "nerf'd". Quite honestly it is agreed that Cryptic had dropped the ball on quality-control, but it is also the user's fault for purchasing the item before the fact. The majority of the community is just going to have to deal with the nerf for now until things get fixed. Its not like that is the only ship you have to play on. On to the topic of the revamped icons a bit; I'm happy they're getting a much needed facelift, but there are still a couple other icons that need a little TLC. For example The Romulan [Zero-Point Energy Conduit] is basically using the same artwork of the Ferengi
    . I know the wiki had a unique icon for the Romulan Console in the past, but I have no clue why Cryptic went ahead and took a shortcut on it.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know whats going on in your team to let a cloak "accidental" slip onto a ship, but simply removing it would have been a sufficient step as hotfix a few minutes after the issue was discovered. But you left both ship and cloak available for a week, with people buying those ships with and maybe even because of cloak. Something more needs to be done than just removing the cloak.

Then that is 100% the players' own fault. The cloak was not advertised, it was completely unintentional, and if anyone feels burned by this fix (read: not nerf) then they can consider it a lesson learned.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Then that is 100% the players' own fault. The cloak was not advertised, it was completely unintentional, and if anyone feels burned by this fix (read: not nerf) then they can consider it a lesson learned.

this is indeed one of the vey few things i can see as a fix yes...

most other things are nerfs, imo.
    edited August 2013
    oke, lets say it this way: how does one obtain dilithuim? is it rare, or common?

how does one obtain lobi crystals? are they rare, or common?

lobi come's from boxes, boxes needs to be opend with keys, keys come from zen, people buy zen with real money.
    and yes, keys are on the exchange aswell, and yes dilithuim to zen exchnage is possible, but to get the zen for dill, or keys for ec, there must be someone, who did use real money first....

so, again, whats more expensive? dilithuim ( or weapons you can buy with dilithuim) or lobi ( and ships you can buy with 800 lobi) ?

and, lobi is account bound, console's are not for sale on the exchange, so if you have a packed monbosh, send it over to a second toon, and sell it there for 800 lobi, voila, you have a full 3/3 set on a second toon, without openeing 1 single box for it.

and i'm sure i did forget to add some more ways of exploiting the proposall, but yes, it can be clearly used as an exploint.....

Seems that you think that it would be used to transfer lobi from one character to another? The price of ships on the exchange is player regulated, meaning if the price is too high people won't buy them what it currently is at is basically the ec value of 800 lobi.

If you were to buy keys on a character with a lot of money, then send them to your other character and open boxes on that character isn't that the same thing as changing lobi to another character?

Also how do we all know that elachi ships don't have cloaks? I didn't make it that far into the Romulan story mission so I don't know what the elachi do and don't have.
    pvp = small package
    edited August 2013

And yet you fail to see how ludicrous this notion is of a cloak just 'completely unintentionally' finding its way on a new ship. And, worse than that, if it really *were* 'completely unintentional,' then that should have you worried even more! Think about that for a moment.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2013
    And yet you fail to see how ludicrous this notion is of a cloak just 'completely unintentionally' finding its way on a new ship. And, worse than that, if it really *were* 'completely unintentional,' then that should have you worried even more! Think about that for a moment.

Again it is either bait and switch or incompetence. Neither are good.
    pvp = small package
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abit disopointed in elachi console fix they should atleast add a small grav well effect to it

Thats becouse its not a fix, its a bluntly nerf no matter how much propaganda its been made been a fix or even a buff lol. A +25% out of a small dmg will result in a small dmg aswell. And also, if u look at boff skill availability, a Lt.Com skill was replaced with a mere Ensign skill wich no1 suggested or even care about and no feedback/player suggestions were taken into consideration. But meh, i dont even care anymore, it wasnt even about the damm console, its about again something been nerfed cuz of PvP crys.

The remove of the cloak was announced so its ok, even if i got the battleship too. Elachi never had cloak, sure somesort of subspace hide but not cloak. They did however had subspace jump, wich wouldve been nice to get that instaid of cloak but aww.

On the new icons for the consoles, they will add alot of confusion and will give colorblind peaple a huge problem. Even if they were changed a few times on trible, alot of them are still to similar, making them very hard to distinguish. And still cant see the point of changing them, the old ones were best, easy to tell the diference even at a peek. If color coded was looked just a backround change would've done the trick.
    edited August 2013
    Seems that you think that it would be used to transfer lobi from one character to another? The price of ships on the exchange is player regulated, meaning if the price is too high people won't buy them what it currently is at is basically the ec value of 800 lobi.

If you were to buy keys on a character with a lot of money, then send them to your other character and open boxes on that character isn't that the same thing as changing lobi to another character?

Also how do we all know that elachi ships don't have cloaks? I didn't make it that far into the Romulan story mission so I don't know what the elachi do and don't have.

there still is a dev blog on the forums, and for people who dont use the forums, when you right click on the boxed ship, it lists all the specs there,it didnt say cloack there.
    edited August 2013
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Thats becouse its not a fix, its a bluntly nerf no matter how much propaganda its been made been a fix or even a buff lol. A +25% out of a small dmg will result in a small dmg aswell. And also, if u look at boff skill availability, a Lt.Com skill was replaced with a mere Ensign skill wich no1 suggested or even care about and no feedback/player suggestions were taken into consideration. But meh, i dont even care anymore, it wasnt even about the damm console, its about again something been nerfed cuz of PvP crys.

The remove of the cloak was announced so its ok, even if i got the battleship too. Elachi never had cloak, sure somesort of subspace hide but not cloak. They did however had subspace jump, wich wouldve been nice to get that instaid of cloak but aww.

On the new icons for the consoles, they will add alot of confusion and will give colorblind peaple a huge problem. Even if they were changed a few times on trible, alot of them are still to similar, making them very hard to distinguish. And still cant see the point of changing them, the old ones were best, easy to tell the diference even at a peek. If color coded was looked just a backround change would've done the trick.

i, as a pvp player, say youre right, i dont support the nerf, and indeed, the whole pvp subforum, and the channels where spammed with nerf this console, and it soooo op cry's....

it was fine as it was, and besides that, a weapon disable prov doesnt do anything, 2/3 nukara set, eptw 1,2 or 3 fix that, there is no perception debuff anymore, so they can target you again after 4 seconds, the damage is kinetic, and because they can use abbility's again, they pop there heals, all damage ressist goes up to 40% and you do 1289 damage total, its not even close to what it was, its nerfed to death...and please dont think all pvpers support this, i for one, do not, and i did made it very clear that i was against the nerf till death project,see my brand new name, and make youre conclusion, but, dont tell them you like the old state of the console, cuz they gonna be haters...
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I already have thought about that.

And I think that if you are dim enough to fall for such petty marketing, then yet again, you deserve to feel rather sore from what you consider to be some nerf-bat. Or does everyone have to be guided through every aspect of this game and its promotions by hand like a child?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Again it is either bait and switch or incompetence. Neither are good.

I don't like to think of it in terms of 'Bait & Switch,' as that would involve plain malice -- and I don't believe that. Nor do I think it was incompetence. Rather, as with everything new since LoR, they probably figured "The more OP, the better it sells." And then, when it got released, they regretted their decision, and took the cloak back off again. The latter was the right thing to do -- albeit a mite on the late side.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It makes sense to me. They probably built the specs for the new ship by copying & pasting specs from another similar ship and then just changed a few things as necessary, rather than code the whole thing from the ground up. It's not hard to understand at all. It's not as if they were actually building a ship, and lugging a cloaking device through the corridors. The art and SE work were surely the bulk of the work, changing the particular T/F flags that each ship has activated probably just takes a couple of minutes. It's not much more than a typo.
This discussion has been closed.