test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Downloading Arc

Comments

• adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Is it not simply possible to use the easy transfer function to move the launcher files over?

to avoid downloading Arc, i guess it won;t help if they force mandatory , but it would at ;east be a solution to those getting new rigs, assuming it does work haven't checked

can anyone confirm or disprove this?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    Is it not simply possible to use the easy transfer function to move the launcher files over?

to avoid downloading Arc, i guess it won;t help if they force mandatory , but it would at ;east be a solution to those getting new rigs, assuming it does work haven't checked

can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Yes. Most MMO's that i've seen allow for you to just copy/paste the files and be fine. STO is no exception (considering i've transfered it probably 80 times hehe)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited August 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Yes. Most MMO's that i've seen allow for you to just copy/paste the files and be fine. STO is no exception (considering i've transfered it probably 80 times hehe)

Great, cause my Rig is getting on in years, and i really don't trust Arc, its got Grayware written all over it

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • kieronblackkieronblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not really possible for me, as the reason for the new rig was the old one suffered a harddrive meltdown. While all of my work files were more than backed up (and redundantly beyond just one source), MMO files, naturally, are not.

So, in my case, there was absolutely no choice but to install the game to the new rig via download . Which, unfortunately, requires a mandatory ARC download from the STO site. I noticed this was also the case for Champions Online via its site, but not for Neverwinter.

So, that pretty much ends my time as a Cryptic consumer.
    edited August 2013
    I am curious as to why Neverwinter is not subject to Arc, is NW not related to PWE?

edited August 2013
    I am curious as to why Neverwinter is not subject to Arc, is NW not related to PWE?

Actually that's a pretty good question..it is apart of PWE (as with every cryptic game) that much is for sure.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

edited August 2013
    Actually that's a pretty good question..it is apart of PWE (as with every cryptic game) that much is for sure.

much speculation here, but d you think perhaps that Never Winter, being new and all is being spared Arc so as not to scare new players away?

edited August 2013
    much speculation here, but d you think perhaps that Never Winter, being new and all is being spared Arc so as not to scare new players away?
    That's an interesting question actually :)

I've used ARC and right now I don't because I just don't have the bandwidth to redownload all of STO, CO and NW (as for some weird reason it's not detecting my installs but that's my own deal I'll fix later hehe) and to be fair I can see where they're going with it and honestly I may use it as I do play other PWE games.

From looking/asking around at the opinions not just on the forums but in game, out of game on different mediums etc there is growing alarm (a bit that has been posted in here) about having to USE arc as a mandated thing to get on STO(or CO or NW or PWI etc etc), and so on the one hand I could see not putting it on something as sparkling new as NW.

On the other hand from what quite a few people, some posters on this thread and even outside the forums, don't care about ARC either way. If they have to use it okay whatever if not whatever to them it doesn't matter. So it could also be that TADA! STO gets the beta test of this software as a required download for new accounts to see what kind of impression it'll make. Not just to those on the forums but in general.

So honestly, I'm torn lol. I really don't know what to think about ARC or why NW isn't on the required list. I'm sure there is a super logical reason for it, but will we ever know it? Probably not.

However that is MY two cents and as below they do not represent those of CS or PWE :P

edited August 2013

On the other hand from what quite a few people, some posters on this thread and even outside the forums, don't care about ARC either way. If they have to use it okay whatever if not whatever to them it doesn't matter. So it could also be that TADA! STO gets the beta test of this software as a required download for new accounts to see what kind of impression it'll make. Not just to those on the forums but in general.

S

What interests me is, just how many people will go through with these proposed Quits, i think a lot are genuine, there are other games after all

But i also reckon the number of people playing this game is mainly due to the fanbase of trek, those who want a sci fi game, there are many alternatives, but this is the place to play trek [online]

I know many will convert to star citizen, amongst other games if it comes down to it, which is fair because that game will have 3 AXIS ROTATION!( sorry off topic but it still riles me up )

• twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So, in my case, there was absolutely no choice but to install the game to the new rig via download . Which, unfortunately, requires a mandatory ARC download from the STO site. I noticed this was also the case for Champions Online via its site, but not for Neverwinter.

So, that pretty much ends my time as a Cryptic consumer.

You could off course just get somebody to email you the launcher/installer file... If you have that one it'll retrieve the rest of the files automatically, right?
  • brataccasbrataccas Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So if I want to play Valve games I need Steam?

And if I want to play EA games I need Origin?

And in the future, if I want to play Cryptic games I'll need Arc?

That's not going to work in the long run is it? How many launchers/shop-fronts/spy/bloatware apps do you think your customers need?

I know a lot of publishers are trying to get on the Steam bandwagon but the truth is that boat sailed a long time ago - trying to tie your games into proprietary launchers is going to do one thing - drive customers away.

The day I have to install Arc to play STO or NW is the day I stop playing - I don't play any EA games now because of Origin - I wanted Dead Space 3 but I refuse to buy it.

I think there's some truth to that but also note that NW isn't on Steam - why? Because they don't want to share Zen sales with Valve - but by doing this they're losing a lot of exposure with the Steam community so they must figure it's worth it in the long run and ultimately NW will be integrated into Arc - there's not reason for them not to.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm serious about it.
    I have no interest in using Arc.
    So, if Arc becomes mandatory, my account will become inactive as soon as that happens.

Fortunately, I'm big on maintaining backups, so unless my computer is dropped into molten metal along with it's external drives, I won't have to worry about being forced to use Arc.
    And Steam is still hosting an Arc-free launcher, so even if I lose my files, Steam can replace them for me.

I wonder though, if you can do the gameclient.exe trick if you really want to work around Arc.
    Basically, the STO launcher is probably still independent of Arc, so what if you tore it out of Arc, moved it to a seperate directory and sent Arc to it's eternal deletion?

Of course, I would not be surprised if there was some "hidden" launcher code that would inhibit you from starting the game client without Arc.

And yes, you're right, there's no point in trying to copy Steam, so why bother?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • resurgent1resurgent1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've played other PWE games before comming to STO...i never , NEVER needed some ****** tellin me what games to play or buy from. now i cant even play STO because some "glitch" unless i download this spy/spamware client....bullsh!t:mad:
  • charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I myself downloaded it and now I'm having issues regarding connecting to the patch server. I have tried this on 2 different computers in my home and have not been able to connect to the game for the past day. Despite the servers being up I have to ask if the patch servers are down? Is this the work of arc? Is Verizon DSL not arc friendly? :confused:

Suggestions please.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only play STO and that launcher is all I need.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
    edited August 2013
    I myself downloaded it and now I'm having issues regarding connecting to the patch server. I have tried this on 2 different computers in my home and have not been able to connect to the game for the past day. Despite the servers being up I have to ask if the patch servers are down? Is this the work of arc? Is Verizon DSL not arc friendly? :confused:

Suggestions please.
    There is a massive thread in the PC support area about this. It had nothing to do with arc

• ghobepongghobepong Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Arc was very successful...

in getting me to open an account and spend money on another MMO with a similar name to the woman many consider to be the mother of all humanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a massive thread in the PC support area about this. It had nothing to do with arc

Linky please. :o
  • resurgent1resurgent1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now the error i get says the servers are down but apparently the client says the servers are up....it has never been wrong before..now this...

I think it's sad when you have a product thats working, then TRIBBLE it up without imput from the player base. like they say "If it aint broke, dont fix it".:mad::mad::mad:
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Allow you to give me my counter aphorism:

If it ain't broke, they'll find a way to break it.

I've had a long history of so-called software "improvements" actually making the product worse then the problems it was allegedly fixing.

And yes, a fair portion of those problems were in STO.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • wingcmdr1977wingcmdr1977 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you already have Star Trek Online installed how do you download another copy, without uninstalling it first?

And if possible, is their a way to download without the ARC software? I really have no use for it and do not like it. :confused:
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ghobepong wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Did you create a forum account just to test out your caps lock button ?
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns. It's great to see that you all are passionate in ensuring they are addressed. The Arc team sincerely appreciates them, too, and is reading them closely.

I'd like to share that we are working on a blog-type post that will answer many of your questions and concerns, so look out for that over the next couple weeks -- I'll be sure to update this thread when it's live and provide a link to where you can read it.

In the meantime, continue posting the aforementioned subjects so we can be sure to include them in the upcoming post.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Captains,

The "blog-type post" that I mentioned above is now live in the form of a FAQ. It is based off your questions and concerns, and can be read here: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4274

We'll be keeping it up to date as development progresses and additional questions or concerns arise.

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns regarding Arc!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

The "blog-type post" that I mentioned above is now live in the form of a FAQ. It is based off your questions and concerns, and can be read here: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4274

We'll be keeping it up to date as development progresses and additional questions or concerns arise.

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns regarding Arc!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

it does not say weather or not arc with replace the launcher we have now and force everybody to use it in the future or not ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well I just read through the linked post, Brandon. And it answered none of my questions I asked in post #128 of this thread. Just to make those questions visible again, here they are:
    tymersto wrote: »
    1) Does ARC have to be kept running in the background while running the game of your choice, regardless if you wish to use ARC's Features or not?

2) Does ARC have options to allow it to shut itself down after the game you wish to play is running?

3) Can you do simultaneous updates for the Holodeck/Tribble/Redshirt installations? (This was a positive feature, to me, for NCSoft's launcher)

4) Are there options to keep ARC from activating upon Windows startup?
    I have enough background applications already (Considering the Steam client has those options).

Simply put, I will not even download ARC unless these questions are answered! These are relativity simple questions about ARC's functionality. How can I trust in using this program if I can't disengage it if I want to?

From most of the "Answers" given and the lack of specific Answers otherwise, I will stop playing STO and never touch another Cryptic/PWE product ever again when ARC becomes mandatory to launch STO for all players. There's a limit to Corp/Marketing BS I can take. This ARC nonsense is almost taking me to my limit here. And I like STO, for the most part.

What it boils down to is this: I have asked specific questions. Give me truthful answers and I will try ARC. Otherwise, I see no need to what the Program is supposed to do that I don't already have available.

That is my feedback, Brandon. Your turn.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And mandatory Arc has pretty much been confirmed. We've left our feedback. We don't want it. It's coming anyway. My condolences to the Cryptic devs. Hopefully you all find somewhere to land when this thing implodes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • darius259audarius259au Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And the FAQ is basically a repeat of the PR speel already out for ARC ,it answers none of the questions that have been asked in this thread and from the tone it would appear that ARC is about to become compulsory - there has still not been from PWE one good reason Why this is needed despite 48 odd pages against ,seems there is no intention to listen to the players over this and carry on regardless!
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How does Arc interact with Steam? Or does it replace Steam?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • donbodonbo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    After 482 postings here are the updated numbers: (Updated numbers in bold.)

Postings that actively said NO to Arc: 158

Postings that actively said YES to Arc 6

Postings removed: 11

Brandon replies/announcements: 9

Comments of a general nature such as dealing with the media player, recovering launcher files, speculation of what might happen and describing experiences from CO, Steam and others....: 264

Postings that posed actual questions: 34

Having read the FAQ information provided, I am less then impressed with PWE's response. The questions raised in this forum have not been addressed! For the benefit of PWE's execs:

结果在482个岗位以后

没有对弧: 158

是对弧: 6

被去除的岗位: 11

回复由Brandon: 9

评论一般自然例如处理传媒播放装置,恢复发射器文件,什么的猜想也许发生和描述经验从CO,蒸汽和其他: 264

岗位以问题: 34

(Translation via worldlingo web site.)
This discussion has been closed.