test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively Visits Cryptic (Pt. 2)

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, she continues recapping her interview with Lead Designer Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera.

Link to the column.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Right now the duty officer system allows people to make ship consoles."

probably useless console.All used consoles (except tactical ones) are now in fleets so the entire doff crafiting system is dead ...as seen on exchange.If 3 people still craft they probably do it hoping they will get a tactical console.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What ship is that on the screenshot?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    What ship is that on the screenshot?

It's the [REDACTED] :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's the [REDACTED] :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Risian Corvette, Romulan Scout Ship (Romulan Captain's Yacht), Risian Corvette again and the Romulan 1000-day Veteran Ship. In that order. :P
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well we at least got confirmation of the new Romulan Vet ships, but apart from that, nothing in the article we didn't already know :(

Very much looking forward to using the Main Vet ship though, as I love the Chimera and the Peghqu'. :D

Not really sure on Gecko's reasoning regarding the Doff grind costs. The way I read what he said, is that they purposely put those costs in to force use to buy the doff packs.
    The only problem with that is, you just chase people away from both avenues.

The whole doff system needs an overhaul. We need better ways of tracking chain missions, such as countdown timers for repeatable chain missions.
    I know a few peeps have put a lot of time in creating the doff spreadsheet, but this should be in the game, not done by 3rd party fans.

I would consider the overhaul before tying crafting into it, the system is already way overcomplicated than it needs to be...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• symetreus69symetreus69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh seriously! There was something in a podcast about making the Romulan Science vessel from TNG and you turn it into a shuttle! ZzzZzzZzzZzzZzz
    Lifer since headstart!
  • magneticmoosemagneticmoose Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Well we at least got confirmation of the new Romulan Vet ships, but apart from that, nothing in the article we didn't already know :(
    ERR? What was this about then?
    When I asked him what Cryptic planned to do to keep up with the demand for new ships, he stated that the devs got "a lot of breathing room" when they were able to focus on creating so many ships for the Romulan Republic faction in the Legacy of Romulus expansion, and they will likely get more breathing room in the future if the next expansion (which they are "seriously considering" and may contain another new playable species!) provides them with ample opportunity for new ship designs. He also said that they could do a lot with "alien" vessels like the Caitian, Ferasan, Lethean, and Xindi.

Xindi ships? That's new, does this mean we might be getting Xindi Lockboxes next? (or should we call them "stasis boxes" now? )
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wish I got veteran reward ships for the boat load of ships and outfits I bought oh well guess I'll just have to enjoy the vet ships from afar on youtube.:rolleyes:

I particularly liked the part about more Caitian and Fersan ships I do love my warrior cats too bad the Romulans have already sucked my pocket book dry. Maybe they'll even explain why the Fersan joined the Klingons a fact I don't think was ever really explained as far as I know.

With a little luck maybe even the new ships won't be another rush job filled with cheap interiors and bugs....okay maybe we'll need more than a little luck.:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I called it... But I am sure many did as well. I will let the people read the (interesting) article. Cannot wait to try them both!

Good job team!

note: Please, team, don't bother getting the rights to JJverse stuff. I love his movies, but I do not wish to see a Vengeance style ship flying in STO....
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We could put the Xindi arc all together in the "spock's brain/omega glory" freak show case of Star Trek really, lock it and throw the key into a black hole.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stasis Boxes as opposed to Lock Boxes. A shame that wasn't possible. But I understand why. Had we known this was a question back then, I'd have suggested Containment Module. And the Isolinear Chips or Prefix Codes instead of Master Keys. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • nephilim83nephilim83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Rivera explained that the team did a lot of math to determine what the actual costs, based on odds, to obtain a purple duty officer in a duty officer pack versus how much it cost to "grind one up." He said Cryptic realized it was "way undercharging" for the grinding missions, and he believes the studio is still undercharging, but previously the costs were off "by orders of magnitude." He said that before the changes were implemented, the game risked losing duty officer sales because the cost-differential was so vast."

I understand the reasoning for this. I do. But if it's so much of a problem that you think we should pay even more than 5000 of our daily 8000 dil just to grind for a purple doff, you might as well make doffs unavailable in game and sell them exclusively through the C-store.
  • linkjoylinkjoy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really Cryptic.. Come on man. Leave this system ALONE:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/15/captains-log-interview-with-star-trek-onlines-al-rivera-part/

DO NOT change the DOFF system because you aren't "way undercharging" for it. you guys honestly sicken me.

Before I get flamed by trolls, READ the article.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    He did not say they are modifying the cost of using the doff grinder even further. He was just giving justification for the current cost that was implemented ages ago.

Also, Rivera failed to address the fact that any Tier 4 Starbase has access to purple doffs if a player has the fleet credits. Getting an invite to one is relatively easy.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Read the article and so far I like the ideas in it. Question is just how much it will cost..............
  • lordgabelordgabe Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the doff system but yea an update is over due. But any issue with the purple officers is silly. I just grinded the system, tons of ways to get better quality officers can't be bothered to explain how.

I actually have a problem on my main in that i have the max 400 doffs and most off them bar maybe 10-15 are blue/purple(a good mix for any mission) which means when fleet missions neededing white quality are a pain as doing the recruitments on earth or breaking down a better officer is a pain as i have no room. But its a small issue I'll suffer on i guess :P

Oh and hurry up and give us pretty vet ships!
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    W.B. Yeats

Lifer since beta its never been so good! So now can everyone chill this game is going in the right direction :P
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What "sickens me" is people complaining about a game that is so outrageously free.

Take it from me, the only thing you pay for here is convenience.

Sure people have dropped tons of money on this game, including buying doffs, but that was your choice to do.
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/15/captains-log-interview-with-star-trek-onlines-al-rivera-part/

DO NOT change the DOFF system because you aren't "way undercharging" for it. you guys honestly sicken me.

Uhm, he was reffering to the Dil price for upgrading, i cant see where the "it is all about profit" is

Maybe you should re-read the article?

Else, thanks for linking it, quite interresting and i have to agree with some points about the doff system, i would not call it "complicated" but the interface simply is a mess and lacks any good tutorial on it.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is any business all about profit?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bugs are the reminder about this game being free :)
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As for ships, yes, you got plenty free room for Letheans, Ferasans. Give them some ships. KDF will be grateful.

As for the Doff system: Fine, if you want to simplify it, go ahead. Just don't take away possibilities, don't put it behind any walls (pay-, time-, whatever else).
    As I see it, the grinding up costs still don't stand, since we are sending 5 blues for that purple and 5k dil on top of it. 5 blues is already better than any doffpack. So we're giving away a relative value of a doffpack + dilithium for a random purple. That's outrageous.

And seriously, expecting that a casual player (from the example someone that doesn't know about any of two ways of getting consoles by the doff system; my definion of casual player is different, including myself) actually knows what consoles to use and how seems misplaced.

I think what the doff system needs is some kind of guide, telling you where you can find what types of assignements, for what purpose (current map shared, personnal, DH shared aboard your ship; eng assignements for creating items, trade assignements for trading in currency/items for items,...). That's what players generally don't grasp and have to ask for on chat.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • pwmayfairpwmayfair Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think you're reading too much into that article, that largely contained Rivera's opinions and not set in stone but yet to be implemented facts.

But to answer your titled thread question (which is a bit of a daft question when you think about it really) The answer is yes, it's all about the profit. As much as the boffins at Cryptic might be hard core trekkies and really love their jobs, they have to deliver stuff that makes money for the PWE.

This is a game to you, me and everyone else here but to Cryptic and PWE, it's a business that can only stand on it's own if it makes a profit. No profit = no point in running the game at all. Even if the game consistently breaks even every quarter resulting in no losses for PWE, without long term profits this game is doomed as PWE is not likely to continue running the game if they aren't making anything out of it.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To be honest, I am mildly concerned about the direction of the Doff and crafting systems.

Neverwinter's system has been stated as baseline example. While I like the concept of the idea(acquiring workers and managing their assignments), I do find the actual implementation of it fairly abhorrent and I do NOT want to see a duty officer system that requires paid assets for 2/3rds of the content(this directly goes against what has made STO so popular) or a crafting system where you're waiting hours to make a single item and cannot do anything else in the meantime.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »

Ehh yeah, you go read the article again yourself.

The undercharging and dili cost he speaks off refer to the increased dili cost for trading in DOFF for higher or lower quality ones that was introduced with S7, in other words, you are ******** about something that already happened all the way back in like November 2012.

Said up/downgrading DOFFs was pretty much free before S7, I did it on a daily basis myself to hoard purples, and such hoarding of purples is exactly why they increased the cost for it.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nice interview and very nice looking ships. Can't wait to try them in game.
    "he believes the studio is still undercharging"
    Currently I would say the studio is vastly overcharging, "by orders of magnitude." For both grinder Doffs and pack Doffs. I opened a few of the new packs, and with the junk that came out of that, I do not think I will buy anymore.
    "game risked losing duty officer sales because the cost-differential was so vast."
    You lost my sale, see above. Maybe cut the price in half and it will be worth with you get, maybe...
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bah stupid doff charges fine keep the 5k for a TRIBBLE random doff.

give us 5k cap increase instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rivera also explained that he believes the current DOff system lacks clear goals. While chain assignments do exist, Rivera would like to see changes implemented to the way assignments allow players to choose to complete specific objectives. He would like to see players be able to, for example, build a ship and see all the steps the player needs to do in order to complete that task. When asked whether he sees DOffs becoming a more integrated part of the crafting system, Rivera replied, "I would love to see DOffs and the reputation system merged into a greater DOff system that involves crafting, but as much as I want to see it built up, I also want to see it simplified."

Yes, they should allow us to complete 10-12 assignments that builds a C-store ship, and let us trade it to Cryptic for Zen. See how they like being frisked for money for once. :rolleyes:
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Considering Ferasan & Caitian ships?

Consider no more, make it so Captn.Geko! :cool:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nephilim83 wrote:
    I understand the reasoning for this. I do. But if it's so much of a problem that you think we should pay even more than 5000 of our daily 8000 dil just to grind for a purple doff, you might as well make doffs unavailable in game and sell them exclusively through the C-store.

People grinding for things populate the servers and make the game look more successful to outsiders and higher-ups. They'd never get rid of it.
    <3
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When I asked him what Cryptic planned to do to keep up with the demand for new ships, he stated that the devs got "a lot of breathing room" when they were able to focus on creating so many ships for the Romulan Republic faction in the Legacy of Romulus expansion, and they will likely get more breathing room in the future if the next expansion (which they are "seriously considering" and may contain another new playable species!) provides them with ample opportunity for new ship designs.

More expansions like LoR would be awesome. New playable species and ships to go with them sounds good too, but I'm of the opinion that they should be added to existing factions rather than making new factions. I think that instead of making more back stories for other factions, we need some progress in the currently existing story lines. For now anyway. Let's finish up the Iconian story arc and then we can get into more factions.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter