test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Summer Event: Wonderful or Terrible? I'm torn. :(

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
I can't decide if the Summer Event is wonderful or terrible. On one hand there's a lot of nice new things, but at the same time it feels...... incomplete? Let's just look at the good and bad of it.

Good:

No Q. Sure, I love the omnipotent idiot, but having him show up for every even kind of sucks and gets really old. Having him not appear was a wise choice. I look forward to more events both with and without him.

The absolute prettiest map in the game bar none. Sorry Hathon and New Romulus, but watching a sunset on Risa is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a videogame. Nice job Taco and the environment team.

Jetpacks. Never before have I known the joy of jumping off a bridge, activating your jetpack just moments before you faceplant into the ground, and taking off for the wild blue yonder.

An Exploration focus. Outside of New Romulus, Risa is really the only map that has a focus on letting you run around and poke at stuff.

Obtaining the Favors is much better than the Winter event items. Digging through snowballs is only so entertaining. :P

Space Parrots. These are by far the best pets ever. I have a new best friend.

I don't have to kill anything!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!

Space Parrots can be used for more than one type of mark. Winter Eppohs could only be used for Romulan. I like this change.

The possibilities. I love what the summer event means. Bigger, more exploration focused maps, more non-combat activities and items, and bringing new life to older, underused things like emotes. Things like the jetpacks could mean actual space walk missions, and making things missions like "Boldly they Rode" not suck. Also, using jetpacks in PvP is very appealing to me. I really like the new mechanics, and I really hope they get integrated into more things in the game. Both future ones and retroactively.

So, there is a lot of good. However, there is a lot of bad.....

NOT. ONE. SINGLE. BIKINI. I heard the words "Summer Event" and immediately thought of getting swimsuits for my captain and crew. So for that not to happen, not even a single one-piece, is a big deal for me. Have the reason I play games is to create characters and dress them up in nice outfits. I will not play an MMO if the character customization is terrible/missing. There's even new swimsuits on the NPC's! Suffice to say this one was a huge disappointment.

No Jetpack Race. You give us Jetpacks, you had everything from the various races from the winter event, and you don't let us see who's better at smashing into trees? :(

The ultimate event item...... is a ship. One that I will most likely never use. I keep bringing this up, but I really don't like ships. I have plenty of ships. I have all the ships I will ever need. And yet you keep making ships. I didn't bother with the Breen ship, and I will most likely not get this one as well. I want to spend money on this game, I want to support it and you, but for the love of the Great Bird of the Universe, start making things other than ships!!!!!!

No Doff Missions. For those of you that missed it, the winter event had Doff Missions that let you earn the winter event version of favors. I'm really disappointed no such equivalent for the summer event.

Space Parrots don't sit on your shoulder. I'm so close to finally becoming a pirate! So close!

More Pets more Problems, more Tribbles more Troubles. The event comes with more non-combat pets and another Tribble, but there's no way to store them. My inventory is so full I don't even know what to do. And yet.... here come more things to fill it!

Limited colour pallets (At least for KDF). We have all the flowers in the universe, and yet my Orion Girl can only wear blue, red, and orange flowers? WTF?

No Jetboots. Okay, I know that ST V is not a popular movie, but we finally get jetpacks, but not the closest thing Star Trek had to jetpacks in actual canon?

TL;DR: There's a lot of good, and a lot of terrible, and I'm really torn as to weather I like it or not.
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh yeah. I almost forgot to mention the dance instructor is wearing yoga pants. That was a nice touch.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Got boring after the first day. Nothing to keep you there after you have done flying high and maybe a hunt...

The winter event was much better, but even the first version of that was boring...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Of course it is free and you lose nothing by taking part...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Zone chat on - Terrible! :(
    Zone chat off - Wonderfull! :)
    Zone chat on - Horrible! :mad:
    Zone chat off - Wonderfull! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No Jetboots. Okay, I know that ST V is not a popular movie, but we finally get jetpacks, but not the closest thing Star Trek had to jetpacks in actual canon?

I actually haz the Jetboots!!! :eek: Well, not so much exactly, but I do get a bug when my Klingon is wearing the explorer outfit, so the jetpack doesn't show. I called him a Superklingon flying like that, before I noticed another hillarious side effect of the bug, the see-through exausted gas comes from under my boots! :P So I feel like I have jetboots. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wouldn't know, I didn't take part.

Perhaps if it was more of an actual event, then a re-skinned New Romulus with more 'do X to get Y' tasks for useless trinkets I'd have more interest.

Shame really, that free ship has decent stats - I am kinda looking forward to seeing them all zip around when everyone claims theirs.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am disappointed there was not a pvp style race like the winter event. they could have had both a sprint through the forest and a flying course.

stuff to be added for next time i think.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    if you are orion then you can, kinda, have beachwear on :P
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like it, but I kind of wish these adventure zones would be a little more complex.

We have a lot of new accolades to find, but you just go here, here, there and back here and they are done, where is the challenge? How about accolades for completing the horgon hunt in under 3 mins or even less, completing 4 instead of 3 jetpack tracks or beating it quickly too? It'd give people something to work up to.

As with other zones not really focused on combat (which is a very nice change from constant pew pew) there is minimal anything you can really do here. It is a bit of a shame really, I'd love to see a way that exploration could provide real game progress, New Romulus's version is just... lame.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can't decide if the Summer Event is wonderful or terrible. On one hand there's a lot of nice new things, but at the same time it feels...... snip

Couldn't have put that better myself. Agreed with the OP. I love the parrots and the choice of marks on turn in. For that reason I have a production line going! :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mixed feelings I guess.

I spent only spent the first 2 or 3 days there until the bottom fell out of the favors market.

I started on the ship, but stopped really seeing the point in that after 2 goes at flying high.

It's very pretty, and I really appreciate it from that standpoint, and getting the accolades was fun too. Would be nice if it stayed like that after the event and maybe some other fun stuff could be added to make Risa like a kind of theme park planet within STO. I wouldn't even object to them doing a copy paste reskin job on stuff from other events, maybe even hide a couple of lobi here and there that spawn randomly or drop like the eggs (but far less often) in a mission you can only do once like the treasure hunt ones in the feature eps.

The dancing wasn't so much fun after the 10th run through or so and I found myself wishing for a simple interact button, but I'll admit I did play along for a good while though.

I realize that no-one was asking me to stay there 24/7, but those 2 or 3 days, fun though it was, were enough for me and I think I might have gone a bit crazy had I stayed for longer.

All in all, fun for a bit, but I haven't been there since except to cash in birds for marks and I probably won't go back. I'm not moaning, it was nicely done, but it just felt like there was an awful lot less to do there than at the Q's Winter Wonderland.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me it was terrible. I had lot of EC so i bought everything off exchange. I got bored out of my mind after 2 days. Only two tasks for summer long event is just devs being lazy.

My brother gets very very drunk before he does hunt and dance event over and over again for favors. He says liquor numbs the pain. But i don't drink so i got nothing to numb myself.

Now i just fly around get my pearls and move on to other things.
    Once upon a time in galaxy far far away......
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Got boring after the first day. Nothing to keep you there after you have done flying high and maybe a hunt...

The winter event was much better, but even the first version of that was boring...

I have to agree, my guild leader kept going on about how great the summer event was on Risa so I went there to check it out and I can't seem to come to enjoy as much as he does that's for sure. After I ran the jet pack flying thing a few times I had what appeared to be enough pearls to buy a better jet pack but for some reason its still not enough. It says I need 50 pearls and I now have 80 and yet its still not enough to buy it? I don't get it I guess. :confused:

That's when I gave up going to Risa summer event.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to agree, my guild leader kept going on about how great the summer event was on Risa so I went there to check it out and I can't seem to come to enjoy as much as he does that's for sure. After I ran the jet pack flying thing a few times I had what appeared to be enough pearls to buy a better jet pack but for some reason its still not enough. It says I need 50 pearls and I now have 80 and yet its still not enough to buy it? I don't get it I guess. :confused:

That's when I gave up going to Risa summer event.

That's because the pearls are only used for the ship. Everything else like the jetpacks, outfits, bird eggs (these can be found during the Hunt too), and food are all bought with the Lohlunat Favors. You need to do the Hunt and Dance missions to get favors. You can't buy anything other than the ship with pearls.

As to the event itself, I liked it well enough. Jetpacks were cool and I love the party/disco balls. The map itself was really awesome. No swimwear was a major buzzkill for me though and the dance event was way too long and gave out too little rewards. I eventually just did the Hunt and ignored the dancing.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    That's because the pearls are only used for the ship. Everything else like the jetpacks, outfits, bird eggs (these can be found during the Hunt too), and food are all bought with the Lohlunat Favors. You need to do the Hunt and Dance missions to get favors. You can't buy anything other than the ship with pearls.

As to the event itself, I liked it well enough. Jetpacks were cool and I love the party/disco balls. The map itself was really awesome. No swimwear was a major buzzkill for me though and the dance event was way too long and gave out too little rewards. I eventually just did the Hunt and ignored the dancing.

Cool I guess I needed to read it better, I could have sworn it said I needed 50 pearls to get the next level of jet pack beyond the rental one...oh well thanks for the answer! :)
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agree completely... especially regards to the swimwear :D

They could stand for a bit more variation in how to acquire the trinkets. It feels unbalanced in that they put out an absolutely amazing environment to operate in with only a few very repetitive things to do there. I genuinely hope they just make this the new "Risa" and pretend the old map fell into the ocean.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was fun when I first went there. Spent a an hour or so a day doing hunts and dancing. Got the accolades, which was fun. Did a spot of sunbathing. Got some shorts. Got a new bird. Stocked up on a ton of GPL for my 2 Fed characters. But now, my Vulcan alt has put her work clothes back on and has left, going back to ferrying cargo.

And my main toon has gone to investigate that pocket dimension that's been called 'Blue Hell' that they discovered by Risa's moons.

Like all holidays, you are not meant to stay there constantly. It's like a break. Spend some time there, then move on. Which is what happened. Like a summer holiday. Helps that I aint going for the ship though.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    my good and bad list:

GOOD:

- It is FUN...

- SOMETHING to do, after i burned through the Romulan Story line, what feels like, months ago within a week.

- Jetpacks (and the possibilities this form of movement could open up for future real mission content)

BAD:

- The FUN dissipates when it becomes a grind, and thats when i stopped.

- new Clothing options, aside from the Sunglasses they are really BORING

- Jetpacks not being Rocket Boots *derp*!?
    [and what would happen if you combined Rocket Boots AND the Jetpack? ....SPEEEEEEeeeeeeeeed]

- PETS...
    *meh* this game is becoming a zoo.
    If they could think up new weapon types like they can do with Pets... heck this game would actually have some diversity in combat situations.

- Ship
    i just ... do NOT like...

- but worst:
    This event does not have a STAR TREK vibe, just like the winter event where we shot snowballs at giant Snowmen... what does this even have to do with TREK? WHY AM I PLAYING THIS?!?!
    I play this game to have some crazy space adventures... yet here i am digging in snowpiles and doing silly dance emotes... i don't know this stuff is just not clicking with me anymore. This has all become so ...COOKIE CUTTER.

Final Verdict:
    A FUN event if you ignore the grind and move on after max 3 days, and not much of a STAR TREK vibe.

I do not know why the Devs are so obsessed with turning every little thing into a grind and forcing you to *enjoy* the little content so long until it gets annoying just to get some unimportant flavor items...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cincsaccincsac Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Space Parrots don't sit on your shoulder. I'm so close to finally becoming a pirate! So close!

More Pets more Problems, more Tribbles more Troubles. The event comes with more non-combat pets and another Tribble, but there's no way to store them. My inventory is so full I don't even know what to do. And yet.... here come more things to fill it!

Make space parrots sit on shoulders. :D

Please quit making tribbles that can't be equipped on BOFFs. I get the Fleet tribble thing... maybe, but stop it already! :mad:

That is all.
  • Options
    otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to say it is more developed than the winter event it's first year.

In addition I think we might get more stuff next year, since they added more in winter the second year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a beautiful place. If it stays open I'm sure I'll drop by again, perhaps explore bird-rearing.

I'm a very casual player so perhaps not STO's target wallet. The race was fun, upgrading my jet pack so I'll have one for future use, and hide-and-seek guy was cool too. I really did feel like I got to know the island. It was a good weekend.

No regrets at all about the Corvette, twinges of doubt until I saw one in space. It design fits its heritage brilliantly! But it's not (understandably) Sci-oriented, and my current ship is still uglier.

It'll be like New Romulus. I saw that with fresh eyes a couple of times over the months when I accidentally used that big ol' door in my embassy lobby. Nice to do a mission or two. Too pretty to associate with forced-login-grind.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    I do not know why the Devs are so obsessed with turning every little thing into a grind and forcing you to *enjoy* the little content so long until it gets annoying just to get some unimportant flavor items...

Welcome to the wonderful world of MMO's.

You know, I should get a dime every time I use that line, it seems like a daily thing now on this forum.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Typical MMOG grind.

I've done worst.

Would have been nice to have something to earn Risian Corvette pet though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was fun for a few days and I like the area.. BUT as has already been mentioned , wheres the Star Trek vibe in this - its non existent.. And enough with the feckin pets already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It lacks some desperately needed PvP content.

I like the winter event better. That PvP race is fun!
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Welcome to the wonderful world of MMO's.

You know, I should get a dime every time I use that line, it seems like a daily thing now on this forum.

Lack of any original ideas and releasing content like fast food are the main reasons why every little content is turned into grind in MMOS.
    Once upon a time in galaxy far far away......
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think it was/is really good.

Yes, more costume options would be good, but the ability to fly over this wonderful tropical map has 'win' written all over it. It's a lot of fun.

It does seem strange to have a tactical based ship with a Risian event, but it is pretty unique looking, and the one on the water looks like a cruise liner berthed just off shore. It really sets the scene.

It's a good foundation to build upon for next year. The second Winter Event was miles better than the first, and I expect the next Summer Event will also improve upon the first.

So, a big thumbs up from me. :D
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Doing Pavyl's hide and seek was fun. Most people spoil it by researching the locations online. I admit I had to cheat on the last one. Still never found how that spot is supposed to be called "the old meeting location".

but it's very cool and gets you to some fun parts of the island you might not see otherwise.

Wish there was more than just some accolades attached to doing it though.

I also really enjoyed the small touches, like the little lizards and monkeys running around, and getting to dance at a nighttime bonfire on the back of the island for an accolade.
  • Options
    arcticukitsunearcticukitsune Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea behind it and that you can have some quick fun, just not how boring it quickly gets. STO needs more of these map types to keep things interesting.

I enjoyed the hunt, the jetpacking, and free-roam exploration. It is all nice and felt similar to the whole Playstation Home festive maps. I've got myself two new pets and a nice perm' jet-pack to show off. I enjoyed the wild-life, the little Easter-eggs, and the little role-playing fun and awards you gained.

They need to polish it up and make it more festive-fun or else it is just another stressful mission area. Festivities and events means to unwind, not to be wound-up. That ship is just another "arrow in the knee" or a "kick in the TRIBBLE" to show how useless you are. Those people that end up working or went on vacation get shafted by the attendance TRIBBLE, I don't like that.

I would prefer the other MMO and game updates with how you get invited to a party and get rewarded with better things in a non-stressful manner as you make your way through the fun. I would recommend two or three types of ships you can get per event - One that is hard to get, second that is gifted to you for participating, and third would be a shuttle that you can purchase; Something along those lines. That's how I seen other MMO's and games that update themselves do things which I believe should have been added here.

If you have to grind then that is not festive nor fun.