test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Summer Event: Wonderful or Terrible? I'm torn. :(

Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My opinion: I think it is really great, for the first few days. Then you buy everything you want and are left visiting Risa daily just to get the pearls.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Doing Pavyl's hide and seek was fun. Most people spoil it by researching the locations online. I admit I had to cheat on the last one. Still never found how that spot is supposed to be called "the old meeting location".

Can't believe I forgot about Pavyl. Yeah I rather liked that as well. I also thought it was funny watching people ask "Where's Pavyl?" in zone chat. Then seeing a few vets (myself included) throwing out a few "Where's Sulu?" here and there and then watching the newer players wonder why people were asking for Sulu. Had a good laugh about it with a few others and then danced for a while with the disco balls. Good times there.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So it seems everyone seems to have mixed feelings like I do. I also wish there are going to be reasons to visit Risa after the event ends. I'm really sad there were no PvP jetpack races or Swimsuits.

In the case of the Races they already had the stuff from the winter event. :(
    edited July 2013
    So it seems everyone seems to have mixed feelings like I do. I also wish there are going to be reasons to visit Risa after the event ends. I'm really sad there were no PvP jetpack races or Swimsuits.

In the case of the Races they already had the stuff from the winter event. :(

Really, how hard is it to make a race? They have the holographic courses for the daily, so it seems simple enough to set up a few longer ones with the first, second, and third people to reach the end getting a prize (as well as a little reward for those who at least finished it).
  • ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Kinda disappointed, you'd think a Summer event would include swimwear. The Risan NPCs get to wear it, but not us, not even FemOrions. I would like to know why.

Flying around in a jetpack is fun and the redesigned island is much better than the old Risa.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • kotacokotaco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I found it incredibly boring, but maybe that's just me. After doing 1 round of the hunt, dancing (which was sooo long and drawn out) and racing I was outta there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Online Gaming Clan: Clan mXm
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find the 1000 pearls thing a bit harsh. I've done the math, and worked out that I've missed the daily too many times to get the ship, even if I did it every day. It's like the game is punishing me for having a life.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    Remember folks, this is just the first year of the Summer Event. The Winter Event has had 3 years to get to the point it's at now, and is better than it was at it's first release. The Summer Event will likely follow suit.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Remember folks, this is just the first year of the Summer Event. The Winter Event has had 3 years to get to the point it's at now, and is better than it was at it's first release. The Summer Event will likely follow suit.

No offense intended Taco, but if the team is looking at an event whose sole attractions are "run a race", "run another race", "shoot some snowmen" or "breed some epohhs" as the thing to shoot for in events, folks are going to continue to be disappointed.
    edited July 2013

Next year we'd better have water guns! :D

Oh, and after seeing (and standing on (don't ask how, I can't get back to it)) the Corvette out in the water (it looks awesome), I thought that you should make a map with a 1:1 scale Scimitar with floaters enabled. That would be epic. :)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Next year we'd better have water guns! :D

Oh, and after seeing (and standing on (don't ask how, I can't get back to it)) the Corvette out in the water (it looks awesome), I thought that you should make a map with a 1:1 scale Scimitar with floaters enabled. That would be epic. :)

Oh yes, just what I need, visiting Drozana or DS9 and getting fumigated and hosed down by goons.
    edited July 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Oh yes, just what I need, visiting Drozana or DS9 and getting fumigated and hosed down by goons.

If you recall, snowball guns cannot be used outside of the Winter Wonderland; I do not see the problem if water guns act the same way for the summer event.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No offense intended Taco, but if the team is looking at an event whose sole attractions are "run a race", "run another race", "shoot some snowmen" or "breed some epohhs" as the thing to shoot for in events, folks are going to continue to be disappointed.

I can only speak for myself, but I absolutely loved the Winter Event. Especially the "shoot some snowmen" part. Yes, I liked earning the stuff, but the event itself was also enjoyable, and I do not doubt that if I had all the stuff for all my alts (which I am no where near) I would still run the event just for the fun of it.
  • bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the winter event has only occurred twice. The first time right before F2P and had Yoda and this last winter with the new uber-Snowman and snowball weapons.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd say huge success.

I wanted sunglasses ever since I started playing plus you didn't have to grind for them so perfect.
  • herpeticherpetic Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pretty much everyone in Dental agrees that the new event map is the best map Cryptic have ever made, good job cryptic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    If you recall, snowball guns cannot be used outside of the Winter Wonderland; I do not see the problem if water guns act the same way for the summer event.

Yes, definitely make sure they only work on Risa.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Yes, definitely make sure they only work on Risa.

No. Definitely make sure they only work on Risa during the summer event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was fun at first. But like everything else in STO, the repetitive nature of doing the same TRIBBLE over and over.... well, its gets old really fast.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    few things maybe need to add, in future...

"dating game"
    "scavenger game" different than Horga'hn hunt, just more item variety (no timers) 1 per day if needed to repeat.
    "racing" with elite pack only (single full course track) with red effect compared to current (green) flying track. option race with single or vs other racers.
    "speedboat" or "jetbike" race routes.
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have plenty of time to get back to my regular missions. I'm going to play in the daytime and dance at night for as long as they let me. I do wish that there were more hiding places for the horga'hns and that hide and seek fellow.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Flew around a bit first few days.

Dont care about that ship

Dont care about the pets

Dont care about accolades

No real swimwear

Decided I wasnt going to grind for the best jetpack when it hasnt been confirmed by Cryptic that the jetpacks will still be in use after Summer event is over, only confirmation the map itself is staying.

Id come back if it had PvP Jetpack races, and Ive had PAID to instantly buy the best jetpack to compete with. So money lost there Cryptic. :rolleyes:
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    topset wrote: »
    No. Definitely make sure they only work on Risa during the summer event.

There's not enough players on Risa at any other time to make the distinction worthwhile, as far as I know.
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To me it was a lot better than the winter event. I couldn't stand the stupid race track from that one.

Also, one of my toons can actually use the ship from this one. Plus I like being able to get extra marks from selling birds.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
    edited July 2013
    There's not enough players on Risa at any other time to make the distinction worthwhile, as far as I know.

Indeed, before the summer event, if I ever visited Risa it was a rare treat to see someone else there (that wasn't a NPC).
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'll get the ship on one or two toons, but that's about it. Like most things in STO, the stuff to do there is too simple to be fun after doing it more than once.

How it could have been made better:

The Horga'hn hunt. Instead of having to fine ten Horga'hns, where they are all marked, what about having to find two or three and you have to use the tricoder, you know, that thing from the begining of the game that is practicaly never refered to? And don't mark the location on the map, then we would actually have to hunt the things, in particular if there were more than twenty places it could be.

PvP races. Enough said.

Starship races. You give us a starship with a serious need for speed, and you don't give us a place to race it? In the words of the Great and Powerful Dark Helmet, "Come on, what is with you man?"

And best idea yet, PVP starship races. No weapons allowed, but everyone gets stuck in a corvette, and then they race a course. Maybe throw in some asteroids or something. But here is the best part. Everyone who completes a race gets the 40 whatevers to earn the ship in time. But 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place get extra so they can finish it sooner. Now the ships becomes a bit of a status, anyone flying it around early is doing so because they beat everyone else, or they bought it.

Other things.

Missions. Picard and Worf both got things to do other than lie around in the sun when they went to Risa. Let us do some exploration, or maybe do a security training excercise.

DOFF missions. We need to send our crew on leave as well, or have them do stuff for us to spread the holiday cheer. Or some kind of cheer. :wink wink, nudge nudge:

Basically, things that are short, fun, and repeatable, or a bit longer, less fun, and not so repeatable as long as the ultimate goal is there faster. If you want us to grind 25 days for the ship, at least let us have some fun with it.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bds007 wrote: »
    I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the winter event has only occurred twice. The first time right before F2P and had Yoda and this last winter with the new uber-Snowman and snowball weapons.

Your right. Its only been run twice but Taco wasn't on STO before that so we can cut him some slack on this one. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Oh, ok that makes it ok then, the events will be better in 3 years. Can I borrow your time machine to skip the glacial iterative process?
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find it boring, rather then do dancing or horhgan hunt I just use EC to buy all the favors I need to get the fastest jetpacks for my 4 characters I want the corvette on. I only stay there long enough to run the course then leave. Maybe if there were better clothes both swimwear and beachwear stuff to buy with favors it would be more incentive to go there and participate because even if you dont want the stuff you can sell it, the only stuff they have now is boring and overpriced.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • paixerpaixer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013

More Pets more Problems, more Tribbles more Troubles. The event comes with more non-combat pets and another Tribble, but there's no way to store them. My inventory is so full I don't even know what to do. And yet.... here come more things to fill it!

I agree with the good parts so I snipped those (especially the exploration and the outfit, Captain's holiday was a great episode and the event is a nice remark to that)

However, to the quote above, +1 multiple times... Please, make a separate tab for at least the cosmetic and non-combat pets... (but if it could hold tribbles as well, the better)

I mean, you could to that in Neverwinter for the companions, it can't be that hard :)