test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic You're doing it Wrong

el1mel1m Member Posts: 63 Arc User
Just looked up the Romulan Dreadnoughts and in the description of the Scimitar class it says that the Original Scimitar fought the Enterprise - E and two Mogai Warbirds.

*Ahem* I think you will find that it was two Valdore class warbirds, one of them was called the Valdore FFS.

I know this may seem petty but someone is getting paid for this and I could do a better job, if you are going to do something make sure you do it right when the Sci Fi genre has so many nit picking critics!

Regards

El1m
Post edited by el1m on

Comments

• Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wasn't the valdore class named because of the ship in that battle? If so why would they be called the valdore class before the event happened?

If true then Cryptic is right, they're mogais.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That class of Romulan ship was never named in a canon source. Valdore, Mogai, and Norexan were used as the class name for it in non-canon sources. Cryptic opted for Mogai as the name of the main class, and Valdore as the class name for the variant.
  • Options
    yomatofanyomatofan Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually, the correct and commonly accepted name for that class is the Norexian Class Warbird... Cryptic are just too stupid to actually understand this.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    Nowhere in the film did anyone say they were "Valdore Class Warbirds." Donatra identified her ship as "The warbird Valdore."

Across the realms of soft-canon there have been several names for the class, including Norexan-Class (In a card game and on some third-party models for Starfleet Command) and Mogai-Class (in novels), which predate Star Trek Online. The Dev's chose to call it Mogai.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yomatofan wrote: »
    Actually, the correct and commonly accepted name for that class is the Norexian Class Warbird... Cryptic are just too stupid to actually understand this.

HMMM

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Valdore_type

The only place I've ever seen Norexian as the class name is Bridge Commander... and even that was eventually renamed to Valdore.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I reckon Cryptic is trying to avoid confusion with the IRW Valdore, which is Donatra's assimilated Scimitar

So rather than fix that error, they doubled down on it
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mogai Class is fine, thanks.

Edit:If you want a Valdore Class you can get that ingame too. (As a player ship, a Subclass of the mogai).
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I reckon Cryptic is trying to avoid confusion with the RRW Valdore, which is Donatra's assimilated Scimitar

So rather than fix that error, they doubled down on it

Maybe Donatra liked the name Valdore, and kept the name for her Scimitar....I dont see an error for a ship class, that has never been establish as canon
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Double post, please ignore.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2013

It's not "correct" until it's been confirmed by a canon source. And I see Mogai used a lot more often than Norexan.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013

"Correct" by your definition means it was in a CARD GAME.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As stated, anything not mentioned in the live action TV shows and movies is not considered canon by Paramount/CBS. It is at best soft-canon or apocryphal, and can be contradicted by canon or other non-canon sources.

Mogai is what I was familiar with from Titan, STO uses it as well, so that's what I'm going with.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    el1m wrote: »
    Just looked up the Romulan Dreadnoughts and in the description of the Scimitar class it says that the Original Scimitar fought the Enterprise - E and two Mogai Warbirds.

*Ahem* I think you will find that it was two Valdore class warbirds, one of them was called the Valdore FFS.

I know this may seem petty but someone is getting paid for this and I could do a better job, if you are going to do something make sure you do it right when the Sci Fi genre has so many nit picking critics!

Regards

El1m

I bet you also think the the Defiant in "In a Mirror Darkly" was the Defiant from DS9 because she was of the Defiant class.;)
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's always hilarious when someone comes on his high horse and proclaims that Cryptic is doing something wrong and he would do it so much better.... While showing that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Where Star Trek canon is concerned the best route, if you do not 100% recall the actual episode or movie you are referring to, is: Read => Think =>Consult Memory Alpha => Post
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think you will find that it was two Valdore class warbirds, one of them was called the Valdore FFS.
    Fact Finding before Posts. :)

There are three names that tend to circulate in regards to the particular Warbird in question. Those names are Mogai, Valdore and Norexan. At no point in Trek (or the Nemesis film) was the used Warbird ever described by class name. I don't believe it's been named in any novels either.

Various sources that I've come to know use the Norexan tag. Cryptic use the Mogai tag. Lazy people use the Valdore tag. Donatra merely stated in dialogue that she was commanding the "Warbird Valdore" not "the Warbird Valdore of the Valdore Class Warbird".

Regardless of what is right or wrong though, Cryptic have chosen to go with Mogai, so their dev blog, from their point of view (and their lore) is actually correct.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I bet you also think the the Defiant in "In a Mirror Darkly" was the Defiant from DS9 because she was of the Defiant class.;)

No I am not talking about the Constitution USS Defiant which was destroyed in an Interphasic rift, I am not talking about the ISS Defiant which was captured by the Tholians in the mirror universe, Some people argue it is the same ship. I am also not talking about the ISS Defiant which is a Defiant class ship.

AssimilatedKtar (sounds like some kind of phlegm, you should get checked out) are you talking about this Memory Alpha which corroborates my original post.

You mean that one.

I do recall the battle of Bassen rift and as a funny twist of fate regarding this post one of the ships in the battle group that the Enterprise is supposed to meet on the other side of Bassen rift is the USS Valiant which was a Defiant class ship and also was destroyed!
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agree with what everyone says. TV canon trumps all, and it was never mentioned on TV. Books and comics are irrelevant and names change from source to source. often due to legal red tape and what not.

But just out of interest, you do know the warbird in question has been called a mogai class for three and a half years?

its been called that in the game since day 1. are you just noticing now?
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    According to Memory Alpha, John Eaves (who designed the ship) claims: "It was always called the Valdore-class in what we were doing! and this (the IRW Valdore) was the signature Valdore!" Link

So yeah, the names of the Mogai and Valdore in STO should probably be flip-flopped. Cryptic could then develop a Norexan class and charge us $50 for a 3 pack. :rolleyes: :(
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    No I am not talking about the Constitution USS Defiant which was destroyed in an Interphasic rift, I am not talking about the ISS Defiant which was captured by the Tholians in the mirror universe, Some people argue it is the same ship. I am also not talking about the ISS Defiant which is a Defiant class ship.

AssimilatedKtar (sounds like some kind of phlegm, you should get checked out) are you talking about this Memory Alpha which corroborates my original post.

You mean that one.

I do recall the battle of Bassen rift and as a funny twist of fate regarding this post one of the ships in the battle group that the Enterprise is supposed to meet on the other side of Bassen rift is the USS Valiant which was a Defiant class ship and also was destroyed!

If you get that distinction, then why do you not undersand that the warbird Vardore that was in the movie was of the Mogai class while the Valdore class in this game is named after precisely THAT Mogai class ship?

Valdore TYPE =/= Valdore CLASS
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oddly enough, names get re-used.

The USS Intrepid was both a Constitution Class, and Intrepid Class. The USS Melbourne was both an Excelsior Class and a Nebula Class. Why can't the Valiant be another ship too?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Fact Finding before Posts. :)

There are three names that tend to circulate in regards to the particular Warbird in question. Those names are Mogai, Valdore and Norexan. At no point in Trek (or the Nemesis film) was the used Warbird ever described by class name. I don't believe it's been named in any novels either.

Various sources that I've come to know use the Norexan tag. Cryptic use the Mogai tag. Lazy people use the Valdore tag. Donatra merely stated in dialogue that she was commanding the "Warbird Valdore" not "the Warbird Valdore of the Valdore Class Warbird".

Regardless of what is right or wrong though, Cryptic have chosen to go with Mogai, so their dev blog, from their point of view (and their lore) is actually correct.

As for this post as is mentioned earlier in the thread nothing that does not appear in the Shows or Movies is Canon according to Paramount. Therefore Valdore is the only Canon name for the ships simple as that!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

The USS Intrepid was both a Constitution Class, and Intrepid Class. The USS Melbourne was both an Excelsior Class and a Nebula Class. Why can't the Valiant be another ship too?

But after a ship name is used as a class designation (ship of the line), you will never see a ship of that name again. This is consistent with Naval tradition.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    According to Memory Alpha, John Eaves (who designed the ship) claims: "It was always called the Valdore-class in what we were doing! and this (the IRW Valdore) was the signature Valdore!" Link

So yeah, the names of the Mogai and Valdore in STO should probably be flip-flopped. Cryptic could then develop a Norexan class and charge us $50 for a 3 pack. :rolleyes: :(

That may have been the original plan, but original plans are also irrelevant. someone has to say it on screen.

The defiant was originally a valiant class ship in its design concept. then after a while someone just called it a defiant class ship and there it was.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As for this post as is mentioned earlier in the thread nothing that does not appear in the Shows or Movies is Canon according to Paramount. Therefore Valdore is the only Canon name for the ships simple as that!

Except it was never called Valdore-class, just "the Warbird Valdore", in much the same way the 1701-D was "the starship Enterprise". But you and I both know the Ent-D was a Galaxy-class, not an Enterprise-class.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I was merely pointing out that the Defiant class was destroyed, the Registry numbers from the Defiant class Valiant and the Battle Group Omega Valiant are different so yes they are different ships
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    What the designer intends is irrelevant to canon if it doesn't make it on screen. And the Memory Alpha article refers to it as a "Valdore-type" because there's no other hard canon name to call it. It was not called a Valdore Class on screen, nor did any graphics appear on screen with the name on it. Therefor you cannot say with absolute certainty that the name of the whole ship class is Valdore. You can only say with certainty that Donatra's ship is called the Valdore.

And in any case where is it set in stone that Cryptic must stick to just hard canon? They've taken a lot of inspiration from the novels.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited July 2013

No its not as simple as that.

the ship was called the valdore. they never mentioned its class. if they made a new show the writers could call it what ever class they like and that would be its canon name going forward and everything would have to respect that.

as it stands it was not mentioned. and different non canon sources have come up with their own name.

the name in game will have to be approved by CBS. they agreed it. this is its name in STO. its name in the card game is Nerexan. the same name cant always be used in both because of the legal writes issues or sometimes sloppy errors on someones part but for STO it is correct, approved by CBS and thats its class name.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013

There was no canonical ISS Defiant, the shop you are talking about is the USS Defiant, that wasn't destroyed but transported to the mirror universe.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

What the designer says or thinks behind the scenes is not canon. As you maybe noticed: "[...] Eaves was inspired by the Klingon Bird-of-Prey of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, still working from the then behind-the-scenes assumption (based on an early draft of the script) that the ship was a Romulan ship stolen by the Klingons, before that theory was debunked by the series Enterprise."

You mean the Enterprise that was destroyed over the Genesis planet?:eek: Because clearly they never re-used the names of destroyed ships....
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    There was no canonical ISS Defiant, the shop you are talking about is the USS Defiant, that wasn't destroyed but transported to the mirror universe.

You mean Like this one

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/ISS_Defiant

That is a canon ISS Defiant

If you had read my post properly then you would have seen that I said some people claim that it is the same defiant but there is nothing said in either "In a mirror, Darkly" or "The Tholian Web" that hint at it being the Prime Universe USS Defiant except its name. When Kirk is retrieved from the the same dimension as the Defiant he actually states that the Dimension was Void, no stars, no planets just nothingness and if I remember right makes some joke about it being peaceful. So how could this Void be the mirror universe.

Also in the Episode "In a Mirror Darkly" when Mirror Archer orders Forrest to capitulate he refers to the ship as the ISS Defiant.

But it is commonly held to be the sequel now

You mean the Enterprise that was destroyed over the Genesis planet?:eek: Because clearly they never re-used the names of destroyed ships....

Did you notice that the Next ship was the Enterprise - A, I wonder what that A meant hmm. Your feeble attempts at Reductio Ad Absurdum will not fly here!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That may have been the original plan, but original plans are also irrelevant. someone has to say it on screen.

The defiant was originally a valiant class ship in its design concept. then after a while someone just called it a defiant class ship and there it was.

True, but personally I will go with the designers intentions up until the point they are negated by what appears on the show/movie. Valdore was never negated by any further canon so I'll go with what Eaves says.