test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When is the EST of the CAP level increase?

nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Haven't we been waiting for this over a year. Most MMO's have a cap increase after the first year.
Post edited by nafeasonto1 on

Comments

• Options
    gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think sometimes people equate maybe's, mights, and rumours with an impending change
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's not like we really need a level cap increase to begin with..... Cryptic might need it though.

The reason MMO's tend to have them is to devalue previous gear and have the players grind more stuff. The way things are in STO right now, that doesn't really work well. New Tier of ships ? Epic Rage about obsolete purchases..... New tier for the rep system to get higher leveled special gear ? I'm sure people would love to do it all again and pay even more for new upgraded items...
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Haven't we been waiting for this over a year. Most MMO's have a cap increase after the first year.

STO had its cap increase partway through the first year. Level 60's coming "Soon."
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    new level cap but no new Ships and no new XIII & XIIII ...
    only more points to skill your Cpt.

and new Missions to get to Level 60
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well right now we just got done waiting on the t5 flamethrower worth 8 months.

Switched to waiting on the t5 optional outfits blockage.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I like the increase to finally change my pips to full "Admiral" (4 stars). That was what I wanted since the beginning of STO. Not 5 stars, butt 4 stars. I'm stuck at 3 stars since 2011 and we only had 2 stars up to that time. =D
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm happy with the current level cap, and as other have already pointed out this game has already had a level cap increase, and it was raised in the first year. The game launched Feb 2010 and we got the level cap increase in July 2010.

You forgot to mention the subsequent lowering of the level cap after that!

Down to 50 from 51. ;)
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see how a level cap increase will benefit the players of this game.

If you increase the levels and throw more skill points and another trait at the characters, you trivialize all of the high-end game content just a bit more than all this high-end rep gear has.

So I'll make this prophecy here and now:

if/when the level cap increase comes, there will be a lot more players "winning" the "No-Win" scenario.

And still others will come back complaining about how trivially easy the already casually-easy game has become.

I would much rather see us all get busted back down to Captain and stay there until we get crushed under a falling walkway or something.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    afraid this might break somethings even more related to game mechanics
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    housewearthouseweart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    --I think it's about time. A lot of games see multiple increases, and nothing horrifying happens. Scaling is always present in the game, anyway. I think we need to top off the rank system and get the last 10 done with. All we are missing is full Admirals. Also, the "5 Star" Admirals... they aren't a traditional rank in the system. Only one person would get that, and it would have to be in a time of major crisis. So it would stop at 4. I digress.

--I'm sure it would take a while to re tune things, but it's not impossible if others can do it with relative frequency. There just has to be a lot of planning and modification. If it can be executed well, then I see no issue bringing this to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Playing Since: October 28, 2009
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To the supporters of this:

Why do we need a level cap increase? We can still add new content and gameplay mechanics without one. I don't see how it would fix anything.

"MMO x y and z have level cap increases" is not a valid reason by the way.

And if the rank name bothers you so much then ask for a rename. Dropping the world Vice is not worth an entire shakeup of the existing metagame.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    It's not like we really need a level cap increase to begin with..... Cryptic might need it though.

The reason MMO's tend to have them is to devalue previous gear and have the players grind more stuff. The way things are in STO right now, that doesn't really work well. New Tier of ships ? Epic Rage about obsolete purchases..... New tier for the rep system to get higher leveled special gear ? I'm sure people would love to do it all again and pay even more for new upgraded items...

I'd have to agree with qjunior, I don't think STO really needs to increase the level cap. What would be the point? They've got the new Tier system. And in fact, if you do all those Tiers, the romulan one and the borg one, you gain much more than what other games offer, I think.

If they need to do anything, it's create an installable Foundry program.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    To the supporters of this:

Why do we need a level cap increase? We can still add new content and gameplay mechanics without one. I don't see how it would fix anything.

"MMO x y and z have level cap increases" is not a valid reason by the way.

And if the rank name bothers you so much then ask for a rename. Dropping the world Vice is not worth an entire shakeup of the existing metagame.

--Progress is made in a multitude of ways. I was not suggesting the only way that the game will be prosperous is to increase the cap, and I never said it was needed. Usually, cap increases are the result of new expansions, so I half expected Romulus to have one. It did not, but there's really not a huge deal.
    --It would be nice to mess with the metagame, though. Nothing better than changing things up, y'know. I don't mind a little chaos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    houseweart wrote: »
    It would be nice to mess with the metagame, though. Nothing better than changing things up, y'know. I don't mind a little chaos.

Not to sound rude, but I imagine you are rather in the minority on that one. For the same reason why major changes like the EptX one were reversed to preserve the builds and strategies that people had already worked hard, and in some cases, spent real cash on.

If you want a little chaos, delete your toons and re-roll...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    --That's not chaos, that's lost progress. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass. Not quite the same idea here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Scaling is always present in the game, anyway.

This is pretty much why I am not in favour of raising the level cap. It wouldn't mean jack in terms of gameplay, it would just void the value of the current top-tier ships, without giving much of anything in return.

I support adding content, yes, but in my view something like that wouldn't be adding content. We can clearly have added content as it is, as we've been receiving max level content already.

*shrug*

Why bother, when the time and money can be spent on things that actually improve the gameplay experience?
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nothing against level cap increase if, no new tier of ships, MK XIII gear, are added.
    simply more skillpoints and a new captain power would be nice, but honestly not needed.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bump end game elite level content to level 60 when cap comes out, keep normals at level 45 or 50. that way end game stuff actually becomes harder.

P.S. EST Is a time zone... ETA is the acronym your looking for.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why do we need a level cap increase? It would break all the gear in game. All the fleet stuff we've worked really hard to unlock as well as all the equipment.

We already have the alternate level system with the rep and base grind. We don't really need another 10 levels arbitrarily. In my opinion they can up the level cap when they introduce *substantial* amounts of endgame content considering running an STF at 50 or running the same one at 60 is kinda pointless.
    tenkari wrote: »
    bump end game elite level content to level 60 when cap comes out, keep normals at level 45 or 50. that way end game stuff actually becomes harder.

You do realise that currently, Elite is lvl 52 and normal is level 50 atm. So you would effectively be making stuff easier with your suggestion?
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    Why do we need a level cap increase? It would break all the gear in game. All the fleet stuff we've worked really hard to unlock as well as all the equipment.

Which is exactly why it's going to happen at some point. Why be satisfied with one set of hideously demanding resource grinds when you can turn around and tack on yet another on top of it, and call it a bonus?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That's not chaos, that's lost progress.

In your context those are the same thing.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    wolf3130wolf3130 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you know i been playing mmo's for along time and have seen many crash and burn do to lvl cap increases most games only give lvl cap increase when they bring new gear out abd then end up losing most of there players because they dont want the extra grind what cryptic should be doing is working on a better system with less grinding and more having fun then adding more grind to an already over grinding game
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Which is exactly why it's going to happen at some point. Why be satisfied with one set of hideously demanding resource grinds when you can turn around and tack on yet another on top of it, and call it a bonus?

I'm not satisfied with it, but neither will I be satisfied having completed it all to gain an arbitrary ten or so levels?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In your context those are the same thing.

--Never said anything about deleting being the cause of chaos. I merely stated that if change to the game will cause it, I would welcome it, so I would appreciate you not presuming my context, chief.

--In other news, I sure do like the arguments being presented. At least people have their thinking caps on today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2013

We already have the alternate level system with the rep and base grind. We don't really need another 10 levels arbitrarily. In my opinion they can up the level cap when they introduce *substantial* amounts of endgame content considering running an STF at 50 or running the same one at 60 is kinda pointless.

You do realise that currently, Elite is lvl 52 and normal is level 50 atm. So you would effectively be making stuff easier with your suggestion?

Church. I quite never understood why some players have this strong desire of increase in level cap, a new fraction and whatnot without quite understanding the ramifications and possibility of breaking things even more. Me thinks such players shouldn't be taken seriously and consider their desires//wishes as fools' errands.

The reputation gives us quite much already. The traits lockboxes have added stuff even more.
    The reduction in overzeleous requirement of dil would be nice though :p
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013

im talking about opening up normals to level 45, and not unlocking elite stuff till level 60. ig they follow current things, elites at level 60 would be higher level than the players anyway.

meaning players will have to play normal STFs and stuff between 45 and hitting the cap, unless they really want to wait till 60 to do rep grinding on STFs.

or they can make superhard versions where hive space elite would be the normal for level 60's and something even harder for elite version.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    im talking about opening up normals to level 45, and not unlocking elite stuff till level 60. ig they follow current things, elites at level 60 would be higher level than the players anyway.

meaning players will have to play normal STFs and stuff between 45 and hitting the cap, unless they really want to wait till 60 to do rep grinding on STFs.

or they can make superhard versions where hive space elite would be the normal for level 60's and something even harder for elite version.
    They could do that without having to raise the level cap at all. Just boost the levels of the NPCs already in game. Why raise the level cap just to have an NPC at level 63 instead of 53? Of course it would seem a lot harder at first because absolutely no one, would be properly geared for it for a long time, since all the MK 12 stuff would be obsolete. That's no more of a challenge to players than I win borg torpedos.

Players already have to play normal STFs between level 45 and hitting the cap. All that happens is people wait, hit the cap and then play them as total noobs. You unlock access to them at level 44 in fact.

Normal STFs should be removed since hardly anyone plays them and they don't even earn reputation points until level 50 anyway, they are rather pointless. Occassionally I play them because I want to ROFLstomp the Borg but other than that.
  • Options
    linkjoylinkjoy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A level cap increase would be good for the game so people can get more skill points to spend. I dunno, I think it's been at 50 long enough now. Most games are at level 65 after 3 years.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's faulty logic to say, it's been 50 for this long now so raise it.

The level cap in Pokemon in 100, does that mean we should be too?