test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Podcast Episode 132 -- Dilithium Mine Shafted

kraft4406kraft4406 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hello Captains and welcome to Priority One's 132nd episode, recorded on Thursday, 13th June, 2013 and published on Monday, 17th June, 2013 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!!!

With James currently on the run after the NSA's Prism operation discovered his stash of Caitian... err... adult material, Tony and Elijah are left in command where in this episode of Priority One they Trek Out the darker side of Star Trek and spend some time chatting about Priority One's plans for Vegas. In STONews we get down and dirty with some interesting patch notes from Tribble that shed light on the new Fleet Holding, and then we invite an old friend and previous guest, PhyrexianHero to chat about what the new Fleet Holding means to players and fleets. Finally, we?ll open hailing frequencies for your incoming messages!

This week's Community Questions:
Do you have an awesome idea for a 60-Second Strategy? Perhaps you have the ultimate ship build, or just can't quite believe that players don't know some of the tricks of the trade that you do. Whatever your tips, we want to hear about them! Leave us a comment below or email us, incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Mark "H2ORat" Valentine's donation page: http://www.gofundme.com/valentine

Topics Discussed:
Priority One: Glory of the Empire
In case you didn't get to catch it last week, here's our trailer for the KDF faction!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNfF9bAKScM
We are Live on TrekRadio.net every Thursday at 5:30pm Pacific Time! If you?d like to join us live, during the show, Trek Radio has a built in IRC Chat client. Just click on the Community menu tab and select IRC Chat - input your desired screen name and enter!

The Priority One Network is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. incoming@priorityonepodcast.com Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work. If you have a particular skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by this link and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We?re on Facebook! Head over to www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast and say hi! Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, Contact Us using our handy web form or leave your comments on the episode's page at Priority One Podcast.com

Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com

SUBSCRIBE:
FEEDBURNER

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE

CATCH US LIVE ON TREKRADIO, Thursdays 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET:
www.trekradio.net
Post edited by kraft4406 on

Comments

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps you could be more clear on your thread title. I don't see anything in your post about the Dilithium Mine fleet holding, and especially don't see anything about it getting "shafted". Usually "shafted" would mean that something has been put on hold, or scrapped entirely and won't happen. I'm not going to click on all the stupid links you put in your useless post that is nothing more than you copy/pasting something from someone else without giving your own input or at least a brief explanation of it.

Just looks like one big advertisement to me.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps you could be more clear on your thread title. I don't see anything in your post about the Dilithium Mine fleet holding, and especially don't see anything about it getting "shafted". Usually "shafted" would mean that something has been put on hold, or scrapped entirely and won't happen. I'm not going to click on all the stupid links you put in your useless post that is nothing more than you copy/pasting something from someone else without giving your own input or at least a brief explanation of it.

Just looks like one big advertisement to me.

I think the word you're looking for is "shelved" not "shafted". Shafted typically means to get the bad end of a deal. I've also heard it used in relation to being ripped off or scammed in some cases. Also since mines have shafts, it's a play on words. The mine was promised to help small fleets but looks like it's going to do the opposite, hence why we all got "Shafted". Shelved means that something was put on hold or scrapped.

Anyways since they're going to be talking about fleet holdings and the costs involved (which includes the new mine) I don't see anything wrong with the title.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone care to post a transcript with the highlights? Not a fan of the hours-long podcasts or forwarding past the blah-blah-blah to get to the little tidbit I want. Thanks in advance and thanks for producing.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone care to post a transcript with the highlights? Not a fan of the hours-long podcasts or forwarding past the blah-blah-blah to get to the little tidbit I want. Thanks in advance and thanks for producing.

We're not hours long... In fact, Priority One Podcast is typically under an hour (unless we have an interview). For instance, this episode is only 59 minutes long. Not even an hour! :cool:
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    I think the word you're looking for is "shelved" not "shafted". Shafted typically means to get the bad end of a deal. I've also heard it used in relation to being ripped off or scammed in some cases. Also since mines have shafts, it's a play on words. The mine was promised to help small fleets but looks like it's going to do the opposite, hence why we all got "Shafted". Shelved means that something was put on hold or scrapped.

Anyways since they're going to be talking about fleet holdings and the costs involved (which includes the new mine) I don't see anything wrong with the title.

The dev blog coming out this week explaining the mine is going to be *very* interesting.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The dev blog coming out this week explaining the mine is going to be *very* interesting.

I would put money on it not "explaining" how this benefits small fleets at all. Other than "look, 9% discount, aren't we great developers /backslap."
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I would put money on it not "explaining" how this benefits small fleets at all. Other than "look, 9% discount, aren't we great developers /backslap."

That is certainly one of two potential outcomes. And given that this is apparently going live in three days, the much more likely one.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the way I look at it is this.

The starbase system sucks because it takes FOREVER to progress from T4-5.
    Many fleet give up. Many fleets don't even bother to loot at T5.

The dilithium mine is mini-progression.

Don't think that the dilithium mine is going to help.
    In fact, most likely it won't help the next fleet holding. That is the way it will work.

Also, in about 3 months (next season), the cost of the dilithium mine will be decreased because "cryptic will look at the numbers are realize it will be better to reduce it".

In reality, it was planned all along.
    If you look back at the development and execution of the Starbase/Embassy/DM you can see a pattern.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    corgatagcorgatag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    In fact, most likely it won't help the next fleet holding. That is the way it will work.

Actually, I believe there is a dev quote saying that the DM discount will apply to all current and future holdings.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Couldnt stand the constant priority one fleet spam for the first while so closed it down.. not here to listen to that.. if I did id just go to zone chat on esd.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Nope, that IS the right word for that holding.

I was responding to this part here:
    Usually "shafted" would mean that something has been put on hold, or scrapped entirely and won't happen.

The word he was thinking of was "shelved" and not "shafted".

But yes, "shafted" is very appropriate for that holding haha.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Couldnt stand the constant priority one fleet spam for the first while so closed it down.. not here to listen to that.. if I did id just go to zone chat on esd.

Aww, Locutus! -- That Fleet PSA was released ages ago for the launch of Fleets in STO (Oct. 7, 2012 to be exact)... It's been on our site for quite some time, actually.

If you listen closely, it wasn't a PSA to join Priority One -- Just to join a fleet... any fleet.

You're more than welcome to visit priorityonepodcast.com and check out ALL our downloadable content. You can also check out our Youtube page for awesome tutorials.... Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Don't be cynical ... , I'm sure they will also explain how this Dilithium mine is SO special ... that you actually have to put Dilithium into it , instead of getting Dilithium out of it ! . ;)

Someone said something about the players getting shafted ... ? :P
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elijahmre wrote: »
    Aww, Locutus! -- That Fleet PSA was released ages ago for the launch of Fleets in STO (Oct. 7, 2012 to be exact)... It's been on our site for quite some time, actually.

If you listen closely, it wasn't a PSA to join Priority One -- Just to join a fleet... any fleet.

You're more than welcome to visit priorityonepodcast.com and check out ALL our downloadable content. You can also check out our Youtube page for awesome tutorials.... Thanks for listening!

Have always enjoyed your guys broadcasts, ever since Stoked went downhill you guys have been my source of podcasting info/news ect. Glad you guys have a fleet now, just dont want to see your awsome podcast turn into some sort of recruitment drive. Dont mind the odd mention just felt abit.. more pushy today then other times, anyways just food for thought is all :)

Cheers
    Loc
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    kokushibyokokushibyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Don't be cynical ... , I'm sure they will also explain how this Dilithium mine is SO special ... that you actually have to put Dilithium into it , instead of getting Dilithium out of it ! . ;)

Yeah, that's pretty strange all right. Like starting a gold mine and then having to bring in truck-loads of gold in order to... mine the gold? I don't think that'd work very well in real life :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

Yes, and they also said it would have a significant impact to small fleets. While neglecting to sell us that the significant impact would be getting slapped with a stale herring.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Called it.

Although they did raise the discount to 15%, so small fleets are only moderately screwed, instead of monumentally screwed.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great work on the podcast! It was a pleasure to be invited back on. :)

I'm glad that, since publishing, the 3-6-9 percent discounts have been boosted to 4-9-15 percent.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)