What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Into Darkness Dreadnought :Q___

Comments

• Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...even more iffy considering that despite Mem Alpha's claim that the ships is visible on a computer screen...it actually isn't

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sftm.htm

and there's also be the problem of who owns the rights to the ship.
    Because the people who run "Starfleet Battles" can only make a small quantity of the Franz Joseph ships with each release due to the need to pay royalties.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I highly doubt anything JJ based is going to make it in game for free...

That's a different matter entirely. Not much does make it in-game for free. And what does, usually has a better version of it that you can pay for. (The Ambassador and the Bortasqu/Odyssey).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jolaujolau Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    auric2000 wrote: »
    Personally I liked Into Darkness alot more (with the exception of the last 15 minutes) then the 09 film. But if you really want a 'TOS' Dread in game.. go for the Federation class.

I liked it too, I think of the JJ Abrams films to be something of a parody of TOS, and don't take these films too seriously.

Actually I would like to see a succession of TOS/Franz Joseph-like ships in STO.

Vengeance? Probably not.
  • Options
    galr25galr25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In defence of "JJ trek" if it wasn't for 2009 and 2013 films Star Trek online would be the most significant voice in the star trek world and an online game has a a much smaller voice than a movie franchise.
    Also STO would not have as many members as new converts brought in by the new films wouldn't exist and many people would not even consider watching a single episode of Star Trek.

The JJ films have brought the lime light back to the Star Trek universe after the crash and burn of Nemesis and Enterprise in ratings (a film and series both of which I like very much). This new focus and new influx of people watching the JJ films have re-lit the wick on the idea of bring ST back to TV and whether you like it or not the massive success of the JJ films has indeed has allowed Star Trek to get into the position it could make a successful come back.

Yes XI and XII have plot holes and are different but the point of it being in an alternate universe is it doesn't damage the cannon universe, yes Romulus is now destroyed but the romulan empire was due to fall just like the Roman empire which is where the name Romulus comes from. All of what we saw on TV is preserved and un-affected by the new films. The need for the films to be more action based is evolution in the type of films people expect to see in the cinema , if they had made it like ST the motion picture it would of had awful reviews and people wouldn't be flocking to see it, the film is too slow for modern cinema experiences.

Into darkness is totally different to WoK , yes Khan is in it , yes they do a few cheesy scenes that are refabs of sceens from WoK , but the story is totally different and fits the harsher alternate universe that isn't as clean cut as the original universe.

So if you are so disturbed by "JJ trek" and his alernate universe , YOU STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL UNIVERSE!!!
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    galr25 wrote: »
    In defence of "JJ trek" if it wasn't for 2009 and 2013 films Star Trek online would be the most significant voice in the star trek world and an online game has a a much smaller voice than a movie franchise.
    Also STO would not have as many members as new converts brought in by the new films wouldn't exist and many people would not even consider watching a single episode of Star Trek.

The JJ films have brought the lime light back to the Star Trek universe after the crash and burn of Nemesis and Enterprise in ratings (a film and series both of which I like very much). This new focus and new influx of people watching the JJ films have re-lit the wick on the idea of bring ST back to TV and whether you like it or not the massive success of the JJ films has indeed has allowed Star Trek to get into the position it could make a successful come back.

Yes XI and XII have plot holes and are different but the point of it being in an alternate universe is it doesn't damage the cannon universe, yes Romulus is now destroyed but the romulan empire was due to fall just like the Roman empire which is where the name Romulus comes from. All of what we saw on TV is preserved and un-affected by the new films. The need for the films to be more action based is evolution in the type of films people expect to see in the cinema , if they had made it like ST the motion picture it would of had awful reviews and people wouldn't be flocking to see it, the film is too slow for modern cinema experiences.

Into darkness is totally different to WoK , yes Khan is in it , yes they do a few cheesy scenes that are refabs of sceens from WoK , but the story is totally different and fits the harsher alternate universe that isn't as clean cut as the original universe.

So if you are so disturbed by "JJ trek" and his alernate universe , YOU STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL UNIVERSE!!!

The problem is people are going to assume that this is trek. IT ISN'T, It's a money maker plot nothing more. JJ Abrams is a failed director. IF any JJ Wreck ships get in here and do PVP they are SO gonna be targets for the TRUE FANS of Trek.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem is people are going to assume that this is trek. IT ISN'T, It's a money maker plot nothing more. JJ Abrams is a failed director. IF any JJ Wreck ships get in here and do PVP they are SO gonna be targets for the TRUE FANS of Trek.

considering that no one outside of Trekkies gave an "F" about Trek before this movie I dont see the problem.
    And can we stop with this true fan *****? It doesn't matter how someone becomes a fan of Trek...either through TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT or JJ-Verse...anyone who labels themselves a fan of Star Trek is a fan of Star Trek
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Well not really as anyone I know who has seen the new films has gone back and watch older films or if they have see ST on TV they have watched it and learn't the original universe a little. Yes not all have liked it some people just aren't clever enough to keep up with the deeper meanings in plots of TV ST, but most have had to say "actually its good TV, not what I expected".
    If JJ was a fail director I'm pretty sure he would not be one of the most wanted in the industry to direct films at the moment, he has taken of the biggest sci-fi franchise ever and made a bucket load of money now he has been given the third biggest franchise Star Wars (Doctor Who is the second biggest) on the back of his work and success with ST.

The ships shouldn't be in this game though I agree but because they are from a separate universe not because of how different JJ trek is.
    And I take it I am not a true fan then because I like the JJ films , I had a great time watching Into Darkness in 3D and respect the work that has lead to the light being back on Star Trek, even though I have watched every episode of every series and every film on multiple occasions.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I still say that the USS Vengeance was just... just... ugh. I mean that ship was even more of a kitbash than the freakin Typhoon! Granted I do rather like the appearance of the Typhoon, but the USS Vengeance looked like someone took a connie, made it bigger, painted it black, and then took an axe and whacked at it from the front and the back in an attempt to make it look "rugged" and "nasty" and like a "warrior". They failed in all 3 respects. The ship just looks ugly.

And as for it being in game? I have no doubt that the second CBS/Cryptic get their paws on the rights/permission to use those ships, they will be in game in about a month give or take.

You can't really do anything about that. But you can post your opinion on the matter. And mine still stands as no to the Vengeance. Hilariously enough though, despite my dislike for the Vengeance design, I wouldn't be against the Connie redesign used by Abrams appearing in game.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Essentially CBS hasn't said no to JJ-Trek things the way people keep thinking they have.

But they haven't said an affirmative yes to it either, only that they will endeavor on the idea. Therefore, the whole thing's in limbo.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Please stop rehashing comments and placing old Trek films on pedestal. Bringing Spock back by a magic weapon is very much different and great story telling ....blah blah. Besides McCoy's skills at being a doc is no different than him curing an incurable disease or putting Spock's brain back in. In other words, your ******** about the new movie is pointless, it has been made and done, so put it with the other Trek films.

Back to the topic, no Vengeance in STO, let's repeat no Vengeance in STO due to legal issues and other complex corporate TRIBBLE. So, in other words, let's start a new threat about having the Vengeance be in STO.

Please do not patronise me, I merely pointed out plot holes in this film. McCoy is a skilled Doctor, but he put *ahem* HUMAN BLOOD IN AN ANIMAL! I never said how Spock came back to life was good either, you are presuming to know how I think. You dont.

... No Vengeance in STO (not that there ever, ever will be) but just to re-iterate, it's a big dumb ugly ship with a hole in the saucer
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Proposed stats for JJ verse ships

JJ verse enterprise

consoles 1 eng 2 sci 1 tac
    weapons 2 fore (must be cannon and launcher) 2 aft (as above)
    Officers 1 ens tac 1 ens eng 1 lt sci
    hull 11

JJ verse vengence

Consoles 2 eng 1 sci 2 tac
    Weapons 14 fore (max of mk IV) 12 aft (max od mk III)
    officers 1 ens tac 1 ens eng 1 ens sci
    hull 40

Both vessels being considered t2 vessels

and automatically flagged as hostile to all Real universe ships even in ESD
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay for the final time. There will be no flipping T5 Connie or JJConnie! Legal issues and such.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    But they haven't said an affirmative yes to it either, only that they will endeavor on the idea. Therefore, the whole thing's in limbo.

People keep saying that soandso has said no. They haven't said no. And according to Dan, the company is open to working with their licensor to getting more of the movie content in the game.

It's not in limbo. It's in discussion. Who knows if it's going to happen anytime soon? Nothing in STO happens quickly.

But for all those who keep trying to say soandso said no ... they're wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay for the final time. There will be no flipping T5 Connie or JJConnie! Legal issues and such.

Daniel Stahl: We like to think that anything is possible in Star Trek Online. We continue to work with our licensor, CBS, to find ways in which we can collaborate with the Paramount movies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    considering that no one outside of Trekkies gave an "F" about Trek before this movie I dont see the problem.
    And can we stop with this true fan *****? It doesn't matter how someone becomes a fan of Trek...either through TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT or JJ-Verse...anyone who labels themselves a fan of Star Trek is a fan of Star Trek

Say that to a Star Wars fan after JJ gets through ruining it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    galr25 wrote: »
    Well not really as anyone I know who has seen the new films has gone back and watch older films or if they have see ST on TV they have watched it and learn't the original universe a little. Yes not all have liked it some people just aren't clever enough to keep up with the deeper meanings in plots of TV ST, but most have had to say "actually its good TV, not what I expected".
    If JJ was a fail director I'm pretty sure he would not be one of the most wanted in the industry to direct films at the moment, he has taken of the biggest sci-fi franchise ever and made a bucket load of money now he has been given the third biggest franchise Star Wars (Doctor Who is the second biggest) on the back of his work and success with ST.

The ships shouldn't be in this game though I agree but because they are from a separate universe not because of how different JJ trek is.
    And I take it I am not a true fan then because I like the JJ films , I had a great time watching Into Darkness in 3D and respect the work that has lead to the light being back on Star Trek, even though I have watched every episode of every series and every film on multiple occasions.

Most of the things he does, blah. no real success just stupidity of the movie companies.
  • Options
    caseyleepcaseyleep Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree I like that ship from Into The Darkness its pretty nice looking I would fly that ship :D and second um how about no lets not get rid of the epic JJ Abrams the man who has successfully revived the Trek franchise.

Its amazing how many people really don't like the great change that Abrams has brought to Trek and how some of those people can't stand the fact that Gene's Trek is now outdated along with the so called Trek cannon which I have no time for. I gave Abrams a chance and he has succeeded both in my view and that of Paramount studios so there :).

me i like the ship id have it in a heartbeat along with the new constitution design because there both very nice ships and for those of you that dont like my post i dont really care.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TOS was considered a failiure, it plumited in the ratings and was threatened with cancellation. It took a letter writing campaign and petition to get another series, even then it was removed from the prime time slot and was cancelled at the end of that series.

Rose tinted glasses.

I've watched them all by the way and the only one I didn't like was DS 9. I even remember the hate aimed at the Galaxy class when TNG was released. Now it is one of the more popular ships and even considered iconic.

JJ Trek goes in a different direction. It can't be claimed they mislead either as some of the advertising even said it is not the Star Trek you used to know or the Star Trek of your fathers time.

Obviously missed the fuss from some when Episodes I, II, and III were released then. Some die hard fans still refuse to watch them or even consider them as part of the series.

Now to get back on topic. I would rather not see that ship as I consider it ugly, but then again we have the adapted ships and they aren't exactly nice to look at either. If it comes it comes I just know I won't be flying one. I am in a similar situation to Hereticknight on this one.
  • Options
    dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can sort of cobble this ship together or at least something that looks similar if you have the Imperial skin for the Assault Cruiser refit.

http://crimsonvlkyrie.deviantart.com/art/Into-Darkness-Look-alike-377421201
    http://crimsonvlkyrie.deviantart.com/art/Into-Darkness-Look-alike-2-377422389
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dashuk2381 wrote: »
    You can sort of cobble this ship together or at least something that looks similar if you have the Imperial skin for the Assault Cruiser refit.

http://crimsonvlkyrie.deviantart.com/art/Into-Darkness-Look-alike-377421201
    http://crimsonvlkyrie.deviantart.com/art/Into-Darkness-Look-alike-2-377422389

Indeed, and this is reinforced by the Wide Angle Torpedo that comes with the Assault Cruiser Refit (Regent class), which nicely matches the turreted torpedoes on the Vengence. Maybe it is too powerful to truely mimic the Vengence, but I somehow doubt people would be content with it as a T3 ship for long anyway.

Bottom line: the Vengence is already in STO in slightly different forms, and it would be a question of what making a minor cosmetic change to such a ship to stand in for the Vengence would be worth in regards to the cost in getting the licensing for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Which Star Wars fans are you referring to? Because I've been a fan of both ST and SW since I first saw the opening shows of each. I strangely don't feel either is 'ruined', though I suppose those who think anything not cookie-cutter identical to the originals are 'ruined' in their eyes.

I consider the JJverse different, in the same way the Mirror Universe is not the same as the Prime. Different rules, different results. One thing that may explain people's reluctance to accept the new setting is that it messes with long-time viewer's comfort levels in what is known and can be counted on. But at it's heart, ST always did that, and even the movies before these were made by people trying to do different things to what had already been made in TOS (ST V: The Final Frontier, anyone?).

Star Trek is, at it's core, about exploring the unknown, not basking in what is known.

As for Star Wars, considering there were not going to be -any- new movies, and nothing JJ could do would do more to 'ruin' SW than the Clone Wars did, I'll give him the benefit of doubt until I see what he does.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    Which Star Wars fans are you referring to? Because I've been a fan of both ST and SW since I first saw the opening shows of each. I strangely don't feel either is 'ruined', though I suppose those who think anything not cookie-cutter identical to the originals are 'ruined' in their eyes.

I consider the JJverse different, in the same way the Mirror Universe is not the same as the Prime. Different rules, different results. One thing that may explain people's reluctance to accept the new setting is that it messes with long-time viewer's comfort levels in what is known and can be counted on. But at it's heart, ST always did that, and even the movies before these were made by people trying to do different things to what had already been made in TOS (ST V: The Final Frontier, anyone?).

Star Trek is, at it's core, about exploring the unknown, not basking in what is known.

As for Star Wars, considering there were not going to be -any- new movies, and nothing JJ could do would do more to 'ruin' SW than the Clone Wars did, I'll give him the benefit of doubt until I see what he does.

But JJ is not Star Trek at it's core. THAT'S THE PROBLEM and now he's in charge of Star Wars. Does that sound like a good idea to ANYONE!?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    But JJ is not Star Trek at it's core. THAT'S THE PROBLEM and now he's in charge of Star Wars. Does that sound like a good idea to ANYONE!?

You'll have to define what Star Trek is at it's core before you can say JJ is not it. I haven't seen this, only vague inuendo and contempt for something different.

To my knowledge, the only defining points of what is Star Trek is the opening dialogue:

"To explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldy go where no man has gone before."

So, does the JJ Trek not explore strange, new worlds, even if those worlds are altered versions of what we have been familiar with? Does it not offer up new civilizations, even if that might be a more militant Starfleet than what longtime Trek viewers might know? Does it not boldly go where no man has taken Trek before (I can think of one or two of the previous movies where the makers went meekly where no man had gone before and retraced their steps hurridly when viewer tests disliked the version they had filmed)?

Ultimately, Star Trek is about challenging our own preconceptions and limitations of thought, and finding out what is possible 'out there'. And on that basis, I think JJ's Trek is just as valid as any of the other versions we have seen.

Everyone has their opinions, and you are entitled to your own. I would like to see justification of it, however, before I will accept it without question.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You'll have to define what Star Trek is at it's core before you can say JJ is not it. I haven't seen this, only vague inuendo and contempt for something different.

To my knowledge, the only defining points of what is Star Trek is the opening dialogue:

"To explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldy go where no man has gone before."

So, does the JJ Trek not explore strange, new worlds, even if those worlds are altered versions of what we have been familiar with? Does it not offer up new civilizations, even if that might be a more militant Starfleet than what longtime Trek viewers might know? Does it not boldly go where no man has taken Trek before (I can think of one or two of the previous movies where the makers went meekly where no man had gone before and retraced their steps hurridly when viewer tests disliked the version they had filmed)?

Ultimately, Star Trek is about challenging our own preconceptions and limitations of thought, and finding out what is possible 'out there'. And on that basis, I think JJ's Trek is just as valid as any of the other versions we have seen.

Everyone has their opinions, and you are entitled to your own. I would like to see justification of it, however, before I will accept it without question.

this is probably one of the most thoughtful and accurate defenses for the JJ-verse. Unfortunately I feel that it's falling on deaf ears. They will hate the series no matter what points are made.
    Interestingly they hated TNG until Best of Both Worlds
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Simple it's more about TRIBBLE, special effects rather than the Human condition. When I first here of the JJ Wreck I did give it a chance and i saw it. while a good moive it wasn't trek to me. And now the latest one was a mix attempt of Wrath of Kahn rather then something completely new. THe S31 story could have stood on it's own without Kahn thrown in there.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And now the latest one was a mix attempt of Wrath of Kahn rather then something completely new. THe S31 story could have stood on it's own without Kahn thrown in there.

The new movie was far more Space Seed than TWOK. Also a large portion of TOS was about scantily clad women and special effects. So I don't really follow your criticism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Most of the things he does, blah. no real success just stupidity of the movie companies.
    Simple it's more about TRIBBLE, special effects rather than the Human condition. When I first here of the JJ Wreck I did give it a chance and i saw it. while a good moive it wasn't trek to me. And now the latest one was a mix attempt of Wrath of Kahn rather then something completely new. THe S31 story could have stood on it's own without Kahn thrown in there.

I'm sorry you are entitled to your opinion but some of your arguments now seem to be very weak handed and some of you responses are clear gasps to get the last word as your defeated and can't think of a worth while reply.

That or your trolling.
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hated JJ Trek the first time I saw it, maybe because I was hoping for an actual trek movie. The hideous lack of attention to detail was nauseating, like the Kelvin having the same crew as the enterprise D for example, firing distinctly non-trek weapons.

The second time, I was able to appreciate it and really enjoy it as a great sci fi movie, but it still doenst feel like star trek to me. I'm gla it puts the spotlight back on ST, but i REALLY, REALLY hope that any new TV series is based on the proper, original timeline and in that style.

As to the Vengeance, I think we will see it eventually if they can sort out the legal issues. Both sides would make money, and that's what it really comes down to IMO. Personally, I think both the Vengenace and JJprise are truly hideous and wouldnt fly one if they gave me 10,000 zen but thats just me.

If they do get into the game, I think it should be something like a rift opening to that universe. Perhaps another of evil O'Briens plots goes wrong? So long as it is clearly established that it is from a different universe. Three way universe clash would be cool in a way.

Honestly there are several other ships I'd rather they do first, like the Merian Class, Tellarite Cruiser or the advanced future Vulcan Cruiser seen in Daniels' database for example (or a new modern vulcan ship thinking about it, too many 30th c ships as it is). I always felt that Starfleet using only human designs was implausible anyway (its a federation of planets, not united minions of earth).

Or here's a radical concept: new T5 KDF ships (or even fleet variants of existing KDF craft).
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wasn't a fan of ST 2009 but after seeing Into the Darkness I compare it as one of my least favourite ST films so if the killerprise as I call it ends up in STO. I would not be a very happy person because if we can't get a Tier 5 connie but they give us the JJPrise the killerprise or the Apple Store bridge then it will redicule the game even more than it is with jem hadar and cardassion ships flew by fed kdf captains
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.