test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't get past launcher

wardcaliswardcalis Member Posts: 1,129 Arc User
So I created a thread here http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10724931&posted=1#post10724931 for my problem. Then some forum mod, changes my title to be about an entirely separate issue and labels it resolved. When my problem is still going on.

I can log in on the launcher just fine, even patch. but when I should be able to click the play button it's greyed out. I tried bypassing the launcher and using the gameclient.exe, after I log into the game I'm getting "connecting to the account server..." then it times out. which seems really odd because I can log in through the launcher and patch.

this is my issue
Post edited by wardcalis on

Comments

• Options
    shotsdownshotsdown Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i have had this game on steam for some time now and trying to get back on the game i cant get it to launch from there. and also i downloaded the game from here (website) and still the same results. any help on the matter?
  • Options
    grelangrelan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't have any help, but I have the same issue. I can log in on different systems, but my launcher for both STO and NW are dead. Good luck getting some form of attention.
  • Options
    theofacertheofacer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The launcher updated and then nothing at all. re installed loaded the launcher again. but still nothing and nowhere to het help. very fustrating :mad:
  • Options
    unclereekyunclereeky Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NOTHING

2 computers in this house..one with Legacy of Romulus and one without..can you
    guess which one isn't having the problems??? Thats right..the one without LOR!!
    I logged in on the computer without LOR and its now in the process of d/l'ing LOR.
    Hopefully, this will be fixed before that download is finished..but I don't know..it
    should be done by sometime tomorrow night..at the rate its d/l'ing.

Why haven't we gotten a straight answer on why this is happening? We are all
    big boys and girls..I'm sure we can take it. What makes us..or at least me..more mad
    is that those of us who are still paying for this or paid for a lifetime membership..deserve
    the courtesy of letting us know, every now and then..the status or condition of the setback
    and an approximate time that it will be fixed. Courtesy..remember that? The amount of money that "a lot" of us have put into this game..by choice..is not the point..the point is..we do this because we love the game. With continuing episodes such as this "LOADER" problem, love starts to dwindle into dislike and then into hate. Remember..courtesy..let us know what is going on.

Unclereeky
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This started around 6 hours ago, I patched, I crashed, and after that my game has been unable to connect to the launcher, it will try to connect for split second and after that the game will just hold and stay in minimized stance, when it didn't even start the launcher yet, and from that stance, it does nothing, I uninstalled my game, booted my computer, tried my backup game(steam version), nothing.

I reported this before and the thread was deleted for some reason, apparently they thought I have patching issues? This has nothing to do with patching since I cannot even open the launcher.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    rossgrrossgr Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Got either the same problem, or a very similar one.

When I launch the game from steam, the game launcher appears on my task bar and steam shows me "in game", but no login window pops up. I've replaced the launcher file, no dice. Reinstalled the game, nothing. Shutting down my firewall temporarily did nothing. I bypassed the launcher and ran Gameclient.exe, which then got stuck on trying to access the account server.

This has been happening since the evening of Wednesday June 12. AFAIK, there wasn't anything obvious that triggered this.

EDIT: Wait, figured it out. Somehow, the window got stuck waaaaaay off to the side of the screen, and I had to google how to get it back. Figured it out when I tried logging in by starting the application, typing in my PW, hitting "enter" and then seeing it start to patch. Dunno how it migrated off the screen, must be a bug.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why was my thread redirected here? This thread has nothing to do with my issue, this guy over here CAN PATCH. CAN LOG IN. and I cannot even get my launcher up.
  • Options
    joeraikagejoeraikage Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rossgr wrote: »
    Got either the same problem, or a very similar one.

When I launch the game from steam, the game launcher appears on my task bar and steam shows me "in game", but no login window pops up. I've replaced the launcher file, no dice. Reinstalled the game, nothing. Shutting down my firewall temporarily did nothing. I bypassed the launcher and ran Gameclient.exe, which then got stuck on trying to access the account server.

This has been happening since the evening of Wednesday June 12. AFAIK, there wasn't anything obvious that triggered this.

EDIT: Wait, figured it out. Somehow, the window got stuck waaaaaay off to the side of the screen, and I had to google how to get it back. Figured it out when I tried logging in by starting the application, typing in my PW, hitting "enter" and then seeing it start to patch. Dunno how it migrated off the screen, must be a bug.

is it the resolution problem, cause its happen to me on my desktop, can you share on how to fix this? thanks.
  • Options
    lharrslharrs Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum (that I can remember) so I hope it is helpful.

Before I go further, thanks to rossgr for giving me a jumping off point to search for the solution.

I believe this problem is similar to many on this thread, using steam or the regular game shortcut to open the launcher results in having the taskbar icon for STO displaying an open login screen for the launcher. The problem is the launcher isn't being displayed on the desktop so we can all login.

In my case it is a migrated window. The launcher window was offscreen in the upper left corner.

STEPS TO FIX (migrated window for windows 7)
    1. With the STO running and displaying the icon in the taskbar tray.

2. While holding down shift, right click the icon ( I used the left shift button for SHIFT+RightClick).

3. Select Move from the listed options.

4. Use keyboard arrow keys to move the window back on screen (In my case, pressed DownArrow key about 5-10 times then pressed RightArrow Key about 30 times to get the window back on screen).

RESULTS
    The launcher window will now be on the desktop ready for interaction.

ADDITIONAL INFO
    - I have closed and reloaded the launcher from steam and it now loads to the main screen on desktop.

- the link where I got my instructions:
    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_an_offscreen_window_in_windows_7.html

I hope this is of help to those still in a bind.
  • Options
    andralesandrales Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks a lot, that really worked.
  • Options
    eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just started having this same problem this morning.
  • Options
    stormthanestormthane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm never one to post on forums, but thank you so much rossgr for sharing what you found.

I would have never even thought of seeing if it had moved off screen as I'm used to it always being directly in the centre of the screen, now to get revenge on something... maybe the elachi, they might have caused it. Or the tholians
  • Options
    lharrslharrs Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Apologies Wardcalis,

I had encountered that problem a while ago but forgot what I did to fix it. I will look into the problem, maybe I can still help.
  • Options
    halfpint71kyhalfpint71ky Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lharrs wrote: »
    Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum (that I can remember) so I hope it is helpful.

Before I go further, thanks to rossgr for giving me a jumping off point to search for the solution.

I believe this problem is similar to many on this thread, using steam or the regular game shortcut to open the launcher results in having the taskbar icon for STO displaying an open login screen for the launcher. The problem is the launcher isn't being displayed on the desktop so we can all login.

In my case it is a migrated window. The launcher window was offscreen in the upper left corner.

STEPS TO FIX (migrated window for windows 7)
    1. With the STO running and displaying the icon in the taskbar tray.

2. While holding down shift, right click the icon ( I used the left shift button for SHIFT+RightClick).

3. Select Move from the listed options.

4. Use keyboard arrow keys to move the window back on screen (In my case, pressed DownArrow key about 5-10 times then pressed RightArrow Key about 30 times to get the window back on screen).

RESULTS
    The launcher window will now be on the desktop ready for interaction.

ADDITIONAL INFO
    - I have closed and reloaded the launcher from steam and it now loads to the main screen on desktop.

- the link where I got my instructions:
    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_an_offscreen_window_in_windows_7.html

I hope this is of help to those still in a bind.

Thanks so very very much you saved my night!
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wardcalis wrote: »
    bum bum bum ba, what do ya know, still waiting for a solution, be nice to play the game, haven't been able to play for over a week.

For starters (as I looked at the first page), bumping threads to make it go back to the top of the list isn't allowed on the forums.

Secondly, I dunno why you're expecting a solution from a peer to peer support forum. :confused:

If you need ACTUAL technical help from PWE, visit http://techsupport.perfectworld.com You will get responses from PWE team members to fix your issue.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    dhm1dhm1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i've NEVER recieved ANY help from tech support i've got on twice this week.i've asked them for help twice today. i can get to the character selection screen after i select my character i go to a picture of space and then it disconnects me. this is getting pretty bad. Thank God i don't pay for this TRIBBLE!
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dhm1 wrote: »
    i've NEVER recieved ANY help from tech support i've got on twice this week.i've asked them for help twice today. i can get to the character selection screen after i select my character i go to a picture of space and then it disconnects me. this is getting pretty bad. Thank God i don't pay for this TRIBBLE!

Well for starters - It's a weekend. While they do have on site staff to handle major issues, tech support is off for the weekend.

Secondly, a quick look at http://techsupport.perfectworld.com brings up this by Darthpanda as an idea to try
    Are you having issues logging into the game with just 1 or a few characters, but you can login and play with the others perfectly fine?

Here is a work around that can help you:

1) You can try loading the Game in Safe Mode. You can go into Safe Mode by opening the Game Launcher > Options > select Safe Mode

2) Additionally, some players have reported that hitting a key after the yellow bar or loading bar finishes (even though the Press Any Key prompt has not yet appeared) has helped as well.
    If that doesn't work your only options are to post over there and wait, or submit a ticket and wait for assistance. Please note that submitting a ticket may take some time due to backlogs.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I fixed my problem with following:

Properties: Launch options: Maximized window(Or something similar to those lines roughly translated)

My problem was that I couldnt get my launcher to open up.

Too bad my launcher looks wierd now with all the white stuff in it, but it works and I am able to play.
  • Options
    puller1puller1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For a week now I have not been able to logon to the game from my computer. It times out and says "Unable to connect to patch server" "Check your internet connection". My computer runs everything else perfectly except for Cryptic. It will even time out on their online support page. Yet I can walk right into my sons room and log right into the game, no problems. Since last Sunday I have sent in two tickets on this issue and have heard nothing from Cryptic save for their automated "got it" email. From what I can understand there is some "tweek" that they have done that has produced a software conflict with one, or more, of my background programs. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. God knows Cryptic has been no help what so ever.
  • Options
    stryider8121stryider8121 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, I don't understand what is going on.. this what I am doing and what takes place:

Launcher opens OK, and updated

I then enter my username and password

game then patched OK (took forever, big file!!)

I then hit "engage" and then the load screen comes up with "Cryptic" and then that's when things go wrong. My computer acts like it is trying to enter the game, (after about 1 or so mins.) but then I get this Error:

Fatal Error

Fatal Error: Unable to initialize on-demand patching and connect to Patch Server: The connection was idle for too long

I have checked my Antivirus program (Avast) STO is on then allow list
    I have even checked my windows firewall, ports and so are open. Even opened on my Clear Hub and checked.. All is good (ports and so are open)
    I also made sure my preerBlock is not blocking the ports
    I also have tried turning off Avast,Firewall and PreerBlock

I even tried "Disable on-demand patching" and "Force verify" also "Safe mode"

I keep getting the same Error.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what I need to do.. Thank you
  • Options
    nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wardcalis wrote: »
    some time this year would be nice

Good.

I had the same problem and now I have to go with Quick Start. In the options menu of the launcher is a Quick Start option, when selected as the game is patched or put the password is released without pressing the start button.

I hope it works for you.

A greeting.