Tovan Khev Needs to Be Dismissable

Comments

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    No he doesn't.

Agreed...

/10 char
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neither of those were bad companions,[...]

I strongly disagree. I was never before in a Bioware RPG stuck with people I wanted to kill so badly.
    [...] and the two systems are really quite different. Reducing the option to customize your bridge officers seems unnecessary;[...]

Sure, who the heck asked for TRIBBLE like story, immersion and voice overs anyway?:rolleyes:
    [...] he's decent, but he's not the absolute best, which is what you'd expect when the developer decides to purposefully TRIBBLE on a game mechanic in this way.[/UQUOTE]

They didn't "TRIBBLE on a game mechanic", claiming that they did is needless hostility.:P
    BOs are easily acquired; there's little value in getting a free one, except early on when you have none. It's a net loss.

I don't think so. I'm incredibly happy with Tovan, even with my vice admiral. I'll have to see what I'll do with him on my Reman ship, but I'm sure I can think of something. I have more than enough character slots.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tovan Khev has a story? He really doesn't. He doesn't need to be there to show the Tal Shiar are mean; the only thing he brings is that his sister is lost, and then one day you stumble across her and absolutely nothing comes of it.

If you like him, fine, keep him. I don't care. People who want to to get rid of him, for whatever reason, should not be forced to have him take up a bridge officer slot, and "if you don't like him, buy a bridge officer slot" is NOT a reasonable solution.
    edited May 2013
    Tovan Khev has a story? He really doesn't. He doesn't need to be there to show the Tal Shiar are mean; the only thing he brings is that his sister is lost, and then one day you stumble across her and absolutely nothing comes of it.

Strange, that's not what I remember from playing through the story twice.
    If you like him, fine, keep him. I don't care. People who want to to get rid of him, for whatever reason, should not be forced to have him take up a bridge officer slot, and "if you don't like him, buy a bridge officer slot" is NOT a reasonable solution.

Yes it is. If you are a subscriber you already have more than enough slots. If not do what silvers are supposed to do if they want more of something. Either buy the bridge officer slots for 250 Zen, or buy 250 Zen for dilithium.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes it is. If you are a subscriber you already have more than enough slots. If not do what silvers are supposed to do if they want more of something. Either buy the bridge officer slots for 250 Zen, or buy 250 Zen for dilithium.

I like my bridges all girls and he kills that I don't like him don't want him and I should not have to keep him

I don't care for boff stories only one I care for is my Captain out of 3 years I have never ones gave any boff I used a story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's weird. So many people complain about the fact that STO was really devoid of story content and the most common complaint about the Romulan storyline (of which Khev is a part) is "wah I don't want a story!"

You know what, I know there are players who don't like reporting to the Romulan Republic. But hey: I don't like having my Fed character reporting to Admiral Whatshisface. I want to be a rebel and bring my Starfleet ship to fight on the side of the Klingons! When are you going to let me do that, Cryptic? :mad:

It is in fact shocking that this game has a plot. And characters. Characters who you can't get rid of. Just like every other game in existence.
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    I like my bridges all girls and he kills that I don't like him don't want him and I should not have to keep him

I don't care for boff stories only one I care for is my Captain out of 3 years I have never ones gave any boff I used a story

Damn it, where's a feminist when you need one? Well, If your BOs don't have a story and are only eye-candy I feel sad for you. I can't do anything else, sorry.:(
  • xingbellxingbell Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not sure we can dismiss him as he may be a clone, another would pop up in his place.

Hear me out on this one.

I was on a ground mission and there is Tovan behind me. I receive a hail from my ship and who is it? Tovan is hailing me from my ship, sitting in his bridge officer chair. I turn around and there is Tovan holding his rifle. Yet his is on the com from the ship?. :confused:

How many of him are there? Does he have a shard? Holoemitter? Clone tech?

While annoying at first, he does fit into the story line and it feels more like long featured episode than a tutorial session.

I would eventually like to dismiss him, though he is not causing me any issues being in my crew.

Peaceful exploration? I have a heavily armed ship and a phaser with a kill setting, how peaceful is that?
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Leme say this about Tovan...

When LoR was in beta and I got my romulan to 50, I equipped him in the tholian melee set from the reputation, and he owned face on the ground. So like Brandon says, Tovan Khev is my BFF.
    edited May 2013
    Damn it, where's a feminist when you need one? Well, If your BOs don't have a story and are only eye-candy I feel sad for you. I can't do anything else, sorry.:(

if you think im the only one I fell sad for you.... I even make girl toons why you may ask because lets see hmmmm look at a guy butt all day or a girl I will pick girl any day I did not come to this game for my Boff stories I came here for my Captain ya like you did also and many others not all of us who play this game give bios to boff or even are captain and in 3 years not dun that to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are willing to buy a BO from the C-Store you only strengthen my point that you could also simply buy two BO slots. Fact is that every Romulan is forced to pick between using Tovan Khev or having to pay for an extra bridge officer slot to get what any other player expects for free.

Fixed it.

And nothing else you've said really amounts to anything.

The issue here is that only the Romulan faction finds their ability to customize their bridge crew limited in this way. There are no other Bridge Officers that are locked into your crew with no chance of relief, and why does Tovan Khev get this kind of special treatment? You haven't given a single reason, and the few people that have give technical reasons that don't really hold up to examination.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    It's weird. So many people complain about the fact that STO was really devoid of story content and the most common complaint about the Romulan storyline (of which Khev is a part) is "wah I don't want a story!"

Because Cryptic couldn't possibly have written a story without having a character take up a Bridge Officer slot. For that matter, Cryptic's writing is truly godawful and not worth sacrificing a bridge officer slot in the first place.
    edited May 2013
    Because Cryptic couldn't possibly have written a story without having a character take up a Bridge Officer slot. For that matter, Cryptic's writing is truly godawful and not worth sacrificing a bridge officer slot in the first place.
    They could have, but why bother? You're not losing anything significant for Khev: the bridge officer slot is there, and it has a bridge officer in it, who behaves like every other bridge officer in addition to being an integral part of the story.

The only thing you "lose" is the fact that he's a part of the story with a personality and therefore is not simply a blank slate for you to imprint your own story onto.

So...yeah, I see all of the objections to Khev as being "wah, I don't want a story".
  • drysyndrysyn Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hear ya but at the same time rather like the way he is built into the storyline and I imagine there might be issues with the missions if he were to be dismissed. Perhaps he could simply be upgraded to a PURPLE QUALITY officer, or as the above poster suggested we could be given an extra single boff slot?

i don't know how many have noticed this BUT HE IS PURPLE already
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Without spoiling to much, at a certain point in the story it should give you a choice of keeping him or letting him go.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
    edited May 2013
    Whose complaining about the story line? I simply want the ability to either replace an unwanted Boff that doesn't fit my crew concept or the freedom to customize it's appearance so it does fit in with my ship's crew concept.
    His appearance, and in fact existence, are part of the storyline. By complaining about those things, you are complaining about the storyline. This is not hard.

If you don't want Khev, don't play a Romulan. What would you say to a player who goes "I want to play the KDF but Cryptic should let me fly the Galaxy class! Cryptic isn't letting me create my own ship's crew concept!"

No, they aren't. That's what the story does.
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if you think im the only one I fell sad for you.... I even make girl toons why you may ask because lets see hmmmm look at a guy butt all day or a girl I will pick girl any day I did not come to this game for my Boff stories I came here for my Captain ya like you did also and many others not all of us who play this game give bios to boff or even are captain and in 3 years not dun that to

No need to feel sad for me. Sure, there are many who do that. But few of them are so militant about it to complain about one male BO.
    Wrong. I shouldn't be forced to pay to replace a free BO slot that was taken from me just because I want to play a Romulan character.

Okay, first of all nothing was taken from you. You got your BO slots and a good BO that you can use on your ship and/or away team. If you have a problem with that it is entirely your fault. If you want to play a Federation captain with a MVAM Prometheus you have to buy it. If you want to play a Romulan who doesn't have to make use of Tovan Khev you have to buy additional character slots. You pay for your extra wishes.
    As long as I get a free BO slot to replace the one I'm not going to be using because it's been filled with an unwanted BO that's a fine solution.

Yeah, you get a high-quality BO for free in the tutorial and get rewarded for that horrible ordeal.:rolleyes: Cryptic gives you something for free and you want more. Self-entitlement at its finest.
    Wrong again. Read the story. The Tal Shiar are kidnapping more than just "Romulans". Remans and Aliens are being kidnapped. Or didn't you notice that when you select Romulans in the character creator you get to choose between Romulans, Remans, and Aliens.

Nope. You get to choose between Romulans and Aliens, the latter because Cryptic gave in to the epic amounts of whine and can unlock Remans. The addon is called "Legacy of Romulus". 90% of the important NPCs are? Right! Romulans! The story is optimized for? Romulans.
    Why the Empress and Hakeev personally go out of their way to recruit you the player into the Tal Shiar regardless of what race you've chosen to be.

Breaking your mind, enslaving you and forcing you to commit atrocities for them is not "recruitment".
    And only a complete idiot would think that by making a boff an alien would cause people to decide they didn't want to make Romulan characters.

Who said that people wouldn't want to make Romulan characters if Tovan was an alien? Fact is that it is the Romulan (and to a certain degree Reman) story. D'Tan is Romulan, Temer is Romulan, Tal'mera is Romulan, Hakeev is Romulan, Sela is half-Romulan, D'vex is Romulan, Malem is Romulan, Rai is Romulan and Tovan and Rinna are Romulan. Obisek, Slamek, Zden and Veril are Reman. It would be silly if Tovan and Rinna were two random aliens in a story about Romulans and Remans.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I assembled my Romulan crew, I realized I had a pasty white Android, a pasty white liberated Borg, two pasty white remans, and two white Romulans. I'm telling you, my crew was whiter than Elmer's glue. So, in effort to add a little color to my crew, I decided to make Tovan a black guy. This worked nicely until I found his sister, who, strangely was white too.

Oh well, one of them was adopted I guess.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only thing that I don't like about Tovan is that he does not have the Subterfuge trait.

I can live with him not having a Superior Romulan Operative Trait but the lack of the Subterfuge does make him quite Expendable.

On a side note:

Sometime in a future update I think that Tovan will be betrayed by his sister and either killed or captured and reprogramed by the Tal Shiar/Iconians.

I'm sure there are many out there that would love an opportunity to blow their former 1st officer out of the sky :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    errab wrote: »
    Sometime in a future update I think that Tovan will be betrayed by his sister and either killed or captured and reprogramed by the Tal Shiar/Iconians.

I'm sure there are many out there that would love an opportunity to blow their former 1st officer out of the sky :D

I take the sis or the ex g/f in his place :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, wtf are you talking about? He's a TOP OF THE LINE Boff. He's purple quality, Comes with Rapid fire 3 AND torpedo spread 3... Great traits for a boff, there's really nothing you could replace him with to be honest. So the question remains... WTF are you talking about? Do you even know that he's purple quality? I'm guessing you're trying to be a hipster and ditch him but seriously you sound stupid.
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    D'vex that is a Veteran Bridge Officer that you cannot get anymore.

and he is blue :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well here is the way i see it
    BOFF slots are limited, to get any more takes zen, ie real money

if they lock down something where it cant be deleted by choice in a place that has limited slots, be it BOFF, DOFF, ships or whatever. then another slot should be added for free

personally i do like tovan so far, but if I want to delete him that is my choice
    u can argue about his traits and skills, but in the end if u like him u like him, if u dont u dont, whatver the reason is

if i cant make that choice and have limited room then another free slot should be provided
    or
    i should be able to have the option of deleting him
    whatever the reason is

and if they gave an extra boff slot free to romulans, everyone that has fed and klingon characters would complain and want another free slot too, rightly so

since i dont see them doing that, best option would be to just make him disposable
    they can always still use his character later on in new missions, whether he is in our crew or not
    those that deleted him can accept that in new missions later on he magically appears again
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »

I can get TS III anytimes by getting the Jem BO, its not a hard to get ability and RF III is not hard to find either ... you people just look at the color and go OMG! I did too back in Beta, then I realized how crappy he was outside Superior Soldier, D'vex is a far, far better BO because you cannot get a Veteran Bridge Officer.

Actually you can't use the Jem Hadar officer to train Romulan Boffs. Unless they fixed that overnight... which I doubt. So that leave the fact that he's the only boff outside of pure luck that you can have TS III on. You people are going nuts over one damn trait slot and that fact that you no longer want what you've been asking for since you started playing: An engaging story. All I can say is get over yourselves and realize that you get what you get. It's all about you you you, not the general player base. Well the general player base has no problem with Tovan Khev, so grow up and stop throwing a tantrum you babies. WAAA WAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAA that's all I see on the forum lately. And it's NEVER about legitimate issues that cripple gameplay. So you don't like Tovan... get 2 boff slots and leave him sitting in the back. You might not get something for free but, well... LIFE AIN'T FREE.
    edited May 2013
    jadz3 wrote: »
    Seriously, wtf are you talking about? He's a TOP OF THE LINE Boff. He's purple quality, Comes with Rapid fire 3 AND torpedo spread 3... Great traits for a boff, there's really nothing you could replace him with to be honest. So the question remains... WTF are you talking about? Do you even know that he's purple quality? I'm guessing you're trying to be a hipster and ditch him but seriously you sound stupid.

Wow such a well-informed post :rolleyes:

Firstly, Tovan's skills not traits are quite impressive albeit not difficult to obtain.

Secondly, Tovan's traits are quite lacking when compared to other Romulan (Tactical Officers) of the same quality that can be recruited.
    Subterfuge and Superior Romulan Operative are huge if space combat is your thing and Tovan has neither, granted he does have a better than basic Romulan Operative Trait.

Thirdly, if you are flying an Engineering or Science heavy vessel Tovan's Lt. Commander and Commander 'skills' will be quite useless to you and him having the Subterfuge and Superior Romulan Operative "Traits" would be the only reason one would have to keep him around.

Tovan is a pretty decent Tactical Bridge Officer but far from the best Romlan Tactical Bridge Officer that we can obtain.

Has a Science Captain, Tovan holds the position 1st Officer of my vessel but does not have a station on my Bridge or a spot on my away team because I found better officers with better "Traits" to fill the needed roles.

I'd suggest that before you go hurling insults around at other forum goers that you make sure you completely understand all aspects of the discussion at hand ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's taking up a bridge officer slot that could be better put to use with higher quality officers. I just added a couple of very rare BOs to my crew and needed to free up some slots. Tovan was one of the odd-men out but I was forced to discharge an officer I didn't want to because we're stuck with him. This is not acceptable at all.

Higher quality? I thought Tovan Khev was purple-quality. :confused:

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe they'll make a mission for 50+ rom players in which he can "Die/Leave you/Stay on your crew"

then if you repeat a mission your handy tactical officer takes over.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing that bugs people the most is that we are losing a free Boff slot. This is important to people that build customized crews because Tovan doesn't fit in.

Personally if it had been my decision I wouldn't have made Tovan a Romulan but instead an Alien and allowed players to choose a male or female version. That way the Boff could be changed to fit a players crew and still fit in with the story line.

This. Or given a choice between Rinna and Tovan.
    edited May 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    This. Or given a choice between Rinna and Tovan.

****Spoiler Alert****

What happens to Rinna after we save her?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't get the hate. Sure, it'd be nice if I could rename him - I'm using Diane Duane's Rihannsu conventions in naming my crew, and "Tovan Khev" doesn't really fit - but he's good on the ground, and I really like his torpedo abilities and Fire At Will. It was a little disappointing when I got my D'Deridex, and his Tac slot didn't let him use the second torpedo ability, but hey, such is life.

And it's kind of cool that as I venture into this new thing, this "Romulan Republic", and this new alliance with outsiders, I've got my buddy from Virinat watching my six...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.