test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance Announcement (May 27, 2013 - 7AM PDT) [Complete!]

Comments

• eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starsvoid wrote: »
    But gold accounts are not paying for time in game. You're paying for a bunch of in-game services and queue priority.

Don't you think that if I can't login or play because of lag or daily maintenance, I can't use any of the features I paid for?

As a developer I know how much difficult is avoiding bugs and manage a server like this, but this is really too much. PW should stop developing new features and start to fix the long list of bugs only... you can't build anything good if the code is full of bugs or need a lot of performance improvement
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Normally I tend to be a bit blunt, but always respectful on my opinions and posts on here, but not this time.

TO ALL YOU UNGRATEFUL WHINING IGNORANT MOTHERFRAKERS....STFU!!!!

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE TOO IGNORANT TO EVEN BOTHER RESEARCHING WHAT ALL GOES INTO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, THEN JUST SHUT UP AND KEEP IT SHUT!

okay rage over.

The maintenance cycle isn't set at that time to "TRIBBLE" EU players, it is set at that time because it has to be. There is alot more than simply shutting down the servers to install a new patch or do maintenance and then starting the servers back up. Instead of going all techno-bable I'm going to use more generic terms.

1) Shut down server

2) Perform restart into what I'll call "input mode"

3) install patch/ run maintenance.

4) Controlled restart into "verify mode"

5) verify all files patched successfully

6) perform secondary actions if needed

7) Shut down system, exit "input mode"

8) Boot system to prepare live mode

9) Bring all servers back online

At this point this is where we normally get to log back in and play, but that's not the end of it for them.

10) Analyze live mode stability

11) Analyze live mode patch compatibility

12) Check incoming bug reports relating to recent patch/maint.

13) Check incoming forum reports of errors relating to recent patch/maint.

14) Attempt to replicate any reported errors with patch/maint. just completed

14) Attempt to track recent errors reported

15) Run through established scenarios to correct any errors, or devise new correction strategy.

16) Prepare secondary patch. This can either be Dynamic (not requiring shutting down the servers, or Static which requires the entire process to be started again.

17) Apply new patch either dynamically or statically.

18) Repeat

Now as I said I'm greatly over simplifying all of this, but it's still enough to give you a general idea of the process. So before raging that they're shutting the game off for a couple of hours maybe you can now appreciate everything that goes on on their side of things so you can log into the game and play.

season updates / expansions always add a new programming nightmare for the first couple of weeks as there's no sure fire way to know exactly how new coding is going to interact with the older coding, especially when you don't have a large number of players willing to test it, and even then not everything shows up in testing.

Those of us that have been around for a few season launches or more know that it takes about two weeks for everything to get smoothened out more or else, for those of you that have never experienced that before....welcome to the world of mmos.

These people are giving up not only their one day off, but also a holiday weekend and sacrificing time with their friends and family so they can come in and apply these patches/ run maintenance so you can get online and play a game you enjoy and that they have worked extremely hard on. So before or instead of ranting and raging like a bunch of two year olds that their parents won't buy them a toy in the store, try to show a little appreciation!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drysyndrysyn Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off: Congratulations PWE on a well done game addition. Though I am new to the game, I can say that I am loving it. So give yourselves a big round of applause, and a big pat on the back!!!! :D

Now, to all you whiners out there: Be glad they are trying to fix the issues at hand. Yes, there are some unfavorable down times, it might interfere with your game play, ect ect, but as a Gamer who has played TONS and TONS of MMO's and all sorts and varieties of online games, I can say this....Be thankful they are trying to get everything smoothed out as fast as they can.
    In many Online Games I have played, (granted some could be classified as jokes, though some are awesome themselves) they tend to wait the week or so before their "normal" maintenance time, or patch times to even begin to start fixing said problems. A process that can take weeks even months.
    PWE as you yourself can see, are doing the best they can, as fast as they can.

Patience is a virtue, get over yourselves, remember the DEV's/PWE Team are human JUST LIKE YOU

Again, Great Job Team PWE on an awesome awesome game!!

trying to fix things or not taking the server down NINE TIMES IN ONE WEEK only loses them lots of players time and money both earned from customers and paid out on wages i don't see how you can claim they are doing a good job.... IF they were doing a good job it would have only come down for maint ONCE
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Those of us that have been around for a few season launches or more know that it takes about two weeks for everything to get smoothened out more or else, for those of you that have never experienced that before....welcome to the world of mmos.

These people are giving up not only their one day off, but also a holiday weekend and sacrificing time with their friends and family so they can come in and apply these patches/ run maintenance so you can get online and play a game you enjoy and that they have worked extremely hard on. So before or instead of ranting and raging like a bunch of two year olds that their parents won't buy them a toy in the store, try to show a little appreciation!
    I couldn't agree more :D

STO is not the first MMO to have issues with a big launch, or try and patch things up the week or two immediately after, and it certainly won't be the last. Frankly, most of this hate is just ignorant and blind... not to mention very undignified.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • pirebpireb Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Normally I tend to be a bit blunt, but always respectful on my opinions and posts on here, but not this time.

TO ALL YOU UNGRATEFUL WHINING IGNORANT MOTHERFRAKERS....STFU!!!!

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE TOO IGNORANT TO EVEN BOTHER RESEARCHING WHAT ALL GOES INTO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, THEN JUST SHUT UP AND KEEP IT SHUT!

okay rage over.

The one that's being ignorant here is you mister fanboi.

We can understand WHY this needs to be done, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or even accept that it happens this frequently.

There are people playing this game that doesn't HAVE 10+ hours a day of free time to play.

I have friends that almost haven't been able to play at all for the past week because when they CAN, the bloody servers are shut down!

And you're saying they can't rage about it?

Yeah WE are the ignorant ones here for sure....
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i hear ALOT of crying on here.........keep crying, im finding it funny LOL :P P.s heres a dummy for you cry babies so you can spit it out :)

@Cryptic, keep up the awesome work you guys are doin! Im one that is very grateful that you are trying your best to keep the game going AND working 7days a week to keep it going. If it wasn't for you, STO would crash, heck, it probably wouldnt exist.
    LLAP :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited May 2013
    sashibai wrote: »
    I

Apparently you weren't around for the WoW Lich King release.

you are right i wasn't there for that i HATE WoW.

however i have played alot of other MMO's Star War Galaxies, SWTOR, Guild wars 1 and 2, Eve online, Uncharted Waters online, Forsaken World, Terra, APB, and alot more smaller ones that deal with problems better than cryptic have
    edited May 2013
    pireb wrote: »
    The one that's being ignorant here is you mister fanboi.

We can understand WHY this needs to be done, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or even accept that it happens this frequently.

There are people playing this game that doesn't HAVE 10+ hours a day of free time to play.

I have friends that almost haven't been able to play at all for the past week because when they CAN, the bloody servers are shut down!

And you're saying they can't rage about it?

Yeah WE are the ignorant ones here for sure....

maybe not ignorant, but certainly arrogant, it shows lol.
    Ever heard of a thing called "patience" ? :P

keep crying, im lmfao here lol :P
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • dlsilencedlsilence Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll be sure to remove my weapons from my ship this time.. would hate to get completely non-functioning cannons again, and have to buy more. What Cryptic should really be doing though, is at least ACKNOWLEDGING these bugs we've been telling you about for the past several days. Just telling us to post them to bug forums and not getting a response from anyone that it's being looked into, or that they even know about it is poor customer service. The vast majority of people aren't seeing any issues with server stability anymore.
    edited May 2013
    drysyn wrote: »

however i have played alot of other MMO's Star War Galaxies, SWTOR, Guild wars 1 and 2, Eve online, Uncharted Waters online, Forsaken World, Terra, APB, and alot more smaller ones that deal with problems better than cryptic have

You're comparing Eve to STO? You do know Eve is what, just turned 10 years old right? So, they have had many years to iron out their bugs, and i bet they had many bugs when they first started out.
    STO is only in its 3rd year, so, there is no comparison. In 10 yrs, STO will virtually be bug free too. You have to expect bugs with new expansions. Since there are not many on tribble servers to test there is less load on the game compared to the holodeck which has 1000X the load, so, in saying that, less load, less chance of finding bugs, more load, more chances of finding bugs.

Now, heres your dummy, go cry an spit your dummy little girl LOL :P
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • pwetacodeathpwetacodeath Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2013

All those game you have listed have gone thru this at one point or another. Even every Star Wars fans favorite game, SWTOR, and the good 'ol WoW has had rough patches like the one STO is currently experiencing.
    It will get solved before long. The fact that they are working during a holiday weekend should be enough to quiet the masses.

But to each their own.

I still stand by my previous post. Don't like it? Go play something else. End of story.
    I am not a Mod. I am just a player. You have been informed :cool:
  • sashibaisashibai Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All those game you have listed have gone thru this at one point or another. Even every Star Wars fans favorite game, SWTOR, and the good 'ol WoW has had rough patches like the one STO is currently experiencing.
    It will get solved before long. The fact that they are working during a holiday weekend should be enough to quiet the masses.

But to each their own.

I still stand by my previous post. Don't like it? Go play something else. End of story.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • suntarusuntaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, all these stability updates seems to be working better on my computer. This being the end of a Memorial Day weekend. So I hope all of our players that have had a three day weekend, Hope all of you that have traveled make it back home safely. All our other players not having a holiday weekend, I'm hoping you all have a good monday.
    edited May 2013
    i'm not comparing games i'm comparing the way the companies run the games...sorry can't do that either cryptic are bumbling every attempt at getting the game working as for your sarcy comments seems you're only here to troll so here have your food Troll
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well, i can't say i'm not pissed as an EU player, for three consecutive main-gametime shutdowns, but i can live with that (i have to study anyway), BUT PLEASE, pls pls pls:
    -fix the freakin' mail! if i can't delete them in the near future, i'm gonna run out of RAM if i open the mail window! :)
    -fix the PvE launcher. the mission names are screwed and players are kicked out from missions whitout a reason, sometimes 3-4 times in a row. it's terribly frustrating, especially if someone is trying to play mirror event which is only avaliable in an hour per day. but SB24 and gorn is affected by this issue.

by the way the expansion is great (not couting the downtimes ofc, and the horribly annoying Elachi species :D), so keep up the good work.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    We do understand that this time is unfortunately inconvenient for some of our players,...

Thanks for your patience and support!

-Dezstravus and the Star Trek Online Team

"patience and support" : something Cryptic wants from its customers.

apologising for the maintenance being "unfortunately inconvenient" : something Cryptic would have to give its customers

Don't expect the former without the later.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fix the ****ing mail! (And you puritan Americans probably filtered that word again; **** you for that too!)

But essentially so, yes. You have all the time to create a whole new Romulan flotilla, but you can't be arsed to have 1 dev spend 5 minutes to add a (bulk-) delete button to mail. And I'm not sure what paranoid rock you crawled out under, thinking you need to keep all people's emails for posterity, but your rationale is insane: I have like a zillion exchange mails for all the keys I sold (you know, those keys you want people to buy with rl money), and you can't even be bothered to have me delete those.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sashibaisashibai Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'm not comparing games i'm comparing the way the companies run the games...sorry can't do that either cryptic are bumbling every attempt at getting the game working as for your sarcy comments seems you're only here to troll so here have your food Troll

Actually he made his point quite calmly and straightforward. You went off on Cryptic and the way they are running the game. How else do you judge a company but on how the games they make are run?
    You on the other hand just like to throw out half assed attempts at insults and accusations. So unless YOU can make your point in an adult and respectful manner maybe you should take your own advice.
  • rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot reskill my main fed toon. I've been trying for the last 6 days and 3 patches, and 4 server shut downs. please I've sent in 3 bug reports and 1 failed attempt. please fix this .
    cSLYSLc.gif
  • krovnikrovni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Outcry at a planned outage?! This has never happened before.

... turn your computer off. Go for a walk.
  • styxslethestyxslethe Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, in my opinion it isnt STO at all, NW has got a few of the same problems.

Also when NW went open beta the trouble started, its something with the combined servers imo.

STO PVE queue: get in mirror event and get booted out
    NW PVE queue: get waiting for players and get booted just when everyone is ready.
    also both games get the "Couldn't get map names from map manager" Error.

Both Mail Problems, NW had double mail problems and that have been fixed and now STO cant delete mails, hmmm.

alot of server crashes AT THE SAME TIME for STO and NW before LoR and after NW came open beta .... hmmm ..... you might fix all of that.

and last NW Team gave the people the Caturday's Survivor Pack for the troubles we have .... where is ours for STO, might be another stupid tribble we get.

So Devs can we get an Honost answer about the problems, what is really going on, seeing Nw Moderators on the STO forums and all, this points also in that direction
  • krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like many people have said... The down time is needed to fix the issues......

I recently went LTS from monthly sub. I am in the UK so this take out my afternoon of play...(by the way it is a public holiday in the UK on 27th so yeah it is a prime time).... I don't mind that i have lost over 8 hours in the last week due to maintenance.

Seriously I don't mind....... you give me 500 zen a month.....

Please please please...............The email and the PvE's should be next.......
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    krovni wrote: »
    Outcry at a planned outage?! This has never happened before.

The only real planned outages are the weekly Thursday updates, all the others are emergency updates in disguise. Dollars to donuts that if you looked at Cryptic's outage plan last week (or even yesterday) this outage wasn't on it.
  • kjahslkjahsl Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why everyday is maintain..................
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, and fix the stupid Crystaline mission throwing me out each time, 2 seconds after joining. Don't you people ever test anything yourself?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's quite uncomfortable to play right now anyways, with the bug to PvE queues, encounters, mail, the UI in addition to connection problems. If it helps getting those things fixed, so be it, take all the time you want.

But: as others have mentioned as well, this is definately the last online game I'm going to play that doesn't have (additional) servers located in Europe. Besides the lag it creates, the downtime is always at the worst time of the day.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem with maint

but just once in a while could we have it 2 hours later?
    just for a change?
    Live long and Prosper
  • fangs94fangs94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why I stopped my sub till you stop patching every single day!!!! :mad: once a week is fine with me or twice but not every day. :mad:
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disappointed there's a patch on a holiday for me. But, thanks to the devs for coming in on a holiday.. bet the double-time pay isn't bad tho :)

RANT..RANT..RAGE..RAGE..PI$$..MOAN..[Just wanted to fit in]
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • mikenight00mikenight00 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Happy Memorial Day Cryptic! Thanks for coming into work on a national holiday to do maintenance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Forget 5/21
This discussion has been closed.