test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To all those who gave their money to Cryptic...

Comments

• Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killjack0 wrote: »
    They dont get Servers every time a major update comes out for the reason that within 2 weeks the Population drops back down to normal numbers where they dont need the larger servers capacity and then what do they do with the hardware. Its too expensive to sit around. Now if the population stayed at a higher level they could get more servers but it usually drops within 2 weeks.

If this is true their business model is complete TRIBBLE, the most basic technology (by today's standards) can accommodate this with ease. They have many games, got it, they peak at different times, got it, it is very easy to have resources available to the game that needs it the most.

Trust me, this really is easy. All you need is to buy some hardware (which is the cheapest part of the equation) to handle the surges where they occur. It really only takes a few moments to switch them to where the traffic is. You just need people who know what the frick they are doing.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until yesterday Ihave not been a gold member for two years. Although I have spent enough on Zen and Cryptic points in the past. to equal any gold subscribers contrbution to the game. That being said I do understand the premium service offeredfor a better placein the Q and better loads time Bla bla bla. But I also feel for those who do spend a large amount like myself on services in game. I even feel for those who only play for free.

However! Even on the tech support side of things gold members gat better treatment. Perfect world and cryptic cannot ignore the finanial contributions of the one time ten dollar zen purchase to the person who may spend thousands. And all players somewhere in the middle. We are all important. If they want STO rto really flurish they will ad a lot more server capacity. STO players sare in the 30 plus age bracket. I myself am 43. SO we expect better service. What are my friends gooing to say when I tell them how great the expansion is but the customer service is very bad. Even if I leave out the later part. My friends wil remind me that this is the game you were playing a year ago complaining about the servie. And they will want no part of STO. Not wanting to deal with the BS service.

I forget how much my boss says it costs a company to gain a valued repeat customer. But it is a lot!

But not only are they slighting me. On other Perfect world products. They are ignoring all the other potential business they could have with good customer service. No one has anything good to say about Perfect world customer service! Even free to play customes deserve better because our good will has to be worth something!
  • Options
    sunyamsunyam Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    I bought the Starter Pack and glad I did. I haven't had to much of any problems, had a bit of a queue last night. Queue's are common in a lot of MMORPGs, there's been tons of them where you'd sit HOURS on end before getting on.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    took the neverwinter game less than a day to figure out why their queues were messed up..
    perhaps the sto team should let them take over and "really" handle it..

also, the argument that this is a good thing because it shows more people are playing is not all together correct.. while i wont admit that there are new players sparked by the interest of the so called "expansion" i refuse to believe that 15-30 thousand people all joined up on the same day after the game had been out for over 3 years..

it isnt a new influx of people, it is a server malfunction.. or a lack of prep to make sure they could accomodate the accounts already in existance.. (its not like they dont know the total number of acounts they have, or the potential that 3/4's or more of those will log in on one day..

this game is over 3 years old, server problems like this should be non existant. but it seems to me like were all on a merry go round with them.. every year the same issues, and everytime we have problems with the servers, it seems like its the first time half of these devs have ever seen a server..
  • Options
    nutiketgotcnutiketgotc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cant see myself boycotting Star Trek Online because I am already boycotting the JJ Abrams films. If I want Trek in my life I would rather have this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dont make excuses for them. They know that it is ALWAYS better to have more servers than needed when you release new content like this.

You forgot a VERY important caveat:

"If you can afford it."

The situation is: Yews, they want players - but in any F2P MMO, only about 10% of the playerbase spends money; and it funds the game servers, development, etc. for the 90% or so that don't. Thus, they always want to make sure they get a return on what they spend.

the fact is: A lot of players will return, level a romulan (and maybe a Klingon) to 50; then leave (not spending a dime); but will still return the next time any new content is released. What they're doing is a gamble and may cost them a few paying players in the long run; but they probably know (from past experience); that once 'the Flood' has subsided - thy have enough infrastructure to support those that are paying for the game; and also know (even if it takes a few weeks or months); that most people who invested heavily in the game, and are indeed interested in experiencing the new content; will in fact return, once things have settled down. Those truly 'addicted' to STO (as happens with many MMOs, there's a reason one of the first MMOs - EverQuest gained the nicknane 'EverCrack'.)

If STO were in fact still a subscription based game, the situation might be a bit different; but with STO now being F2P, they definitely never want to spend more on server capacity or bandwidth then absolutely required as that will affect their bottom line more then losing a number of players who they realize will never spend an actual real world cent, no matter what Cryptic/PW does with STO.

The bottom line is any business is profit margin and ROI - and while they won't come out and admit it publicly, they have enough info and past experience to know that even with the situation as it stands, in the long run, they know that in the end, the 'whales' will return.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    sk8ter888sk8ter888 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid $200 over 3 years ago for a lifetime sub. I have gotten more hours of play and value out of my 3 years than any other game I have ever played. I would say the purchase was well worth it.

A day or two of downtime here and there is not a major problem when by all accounts the vast majority of the time STO is working fine and I can play whenever I want.

I have been waiting for a lifetime sub for that reason. I feel I should support a game I play a lot, and put a lot of time into. I want it to still be around.

And some queues and wait time? Sounds fine to me, THEY ARE FIXING ISSUES. No crashes, means they get a thumbs up from me!
  • Options
    interestedguyinterestedguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel like I have got good value for all the money I spent on this game, and am excited for the new content. There are some things they sell that are bad value, but no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. All in all, I think this game has a great free to play model, ie very flexible, allowing people to obtain nearly anything they want through game play only, and offering money short cuts for stuff that is not game breaking but still profitable for them.

The fact that there are queues right now to get in the game indicates that more people agree with me then think the game is TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, first up, due to cryptic "unique" set up, the game has a lot of server overhead. I can only assume that cryptics games are set up the way they are to avoid paying royalties for using a more conventional setup in thier MMO.

But then, I'm KDF. If you want to experience unresolved bugs, please come take a walk on the red side. Maybe if sufficient players do they'll finally go fix them.

Honestly though, I can't begin to guess. 3 1/2 years since launch. Fed (blue) faction doing fine. Klingon (red) faction lost 50% or more of it's players in the first year (and most of them just left the game as a bad job) after statements to the effect that KDF would be brought back up to speed that never materialized untill today. Gosh, I guess some folk aren't patient eh? Dedicated KDF players droped to 18% of the player base, damage done, no longer a critical issue! (unless of course your KDF and still playing..might just have a slightly different opinion on the matter). Oh, and the executive producer did his damdest to retcon what really happened. Which might fly with the new players, but those of us that were there know better. If Mr. Stahl ever decides to sell one of his cars..ignore anything he says, and have a professional mechanic look at it... and ah, don't let him pick the mechanic. But don't worry, the car will be free to own.. Oh, but you want a stearing wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal, seats, and seat belt. Thats going to be extra. Before your done you will have paid 3 times the cost of a new car for a 10 year old junker.

I got a LTM back in the beginning. SO I stuck around. Maybe the KDF faction might just grow a little. Some good folk at working at Cryptic. Many with an awesome regard and concern about the quality of the product.

But, I'm older then a good many of the players of STO. Of an older generation. One that recalls company motto's like "The quality goes in before the name goes on" (RCA/Zenith).

Maybe I just expect to much huh? 31/2 years.. KDF finally gets something like parity, whohfully overdue. (akin to shutting the barn door after all the critters have run away)
    and I suppose I should be happy. But I'm not.

As for the expansion launch difficulties. This happens every time there is some large new addition to the game. And it doesn't just happen to Cryptic. Its endemic in the industry. Though, for the record, Cryptic's issues in this matter tend to be a tad worse. Insufficient QA work. I'm dead certain the QA people work thier hinie's, but they have never had the time to do it well.

Take it in stride folks. Belive the old guy. There a whole bunch of other issues as customers I truely wish all of us, all of you, were more concerned about. That way they might just get addressed sooner instead of later ...or never.

Khemaraa sends.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well lets see about a month ago I sub'ed for one month and it has just about run out now and I timed it so it would be about now when the expansion was coming.

My logins have all been very fast if not immediate as soon as I select my character and press play...I love the new Romulan story its very good and has, in my mind, made STO probably the best free to play MMO there is right now and anyone who has ever watched Star Trek either movies or series and remotely liked it would probably like STO.

As soon as I found out about the expansion and when it was coming I decided if I wanted to have a nice smooth play time for the launch of it I needed to be a subscriber so I could avoid the login queue's and that worked perfectly.

So actually I am happy I spent the cash for the sub for one month, and its probably the best gaming dollars I have ever spent on any PC game.
  • Options
    valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im really sick n tired of reading on forums how people who buy lts are stupid or wasted there money, is it YOUR money? NO its not its the individuals who bought the LTS, if you dont want a life time sub your choice, why do people have to feel they need to troll and harp on about people spending money by choice? I have been waiting for a price drop for a long while and it has happened so i have bought it i think it is money well spent, i just wish if people want a sub get it n if not dont bully those who do
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2013
    Yeah we ****ed up. They clearly don't deserve a penny for this mess. I would rather have no new content and still be able to play season 7.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bought a lifetime 3 years ago, I've seen this game go through hell and back and I've had my times when I doubted that it was money well spent.

Skipping the qeue today and enjoying a stockpiled stipend and all the goodies made me feel a lot better, and somewhat vindicated.

The game has never been stronger, and it's only going to get better from here out. Once the servers level out and the rage quitters have moved along to whatever they do for 48 hours before they calm down and return, I expect the complaints will move on towards endgame again or lack of foundry support, pvp support or an exploration revamp where they belong.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options
    m0peygoffm0peygoff Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I played for about 6 hours today. I can't complain. I love the new content.

I have yet to find a game that has such fun space combat. That alone is what keeps me going. I remember when I first started playing, the ground combat plain sucked. Words can't describe how boring and absolutely...terrible it was. There has been great improvement on that front and I find myself not minding it too much anymore.

I don't buy in to the "I can't afford 15 bucks a month" argument. This game looks horrible on a 4-5 year old computer. Even on my i3 laptop it's kind of clunky but playable (have to turn the visuals way, way down). The point is that it requires an investment in hardware, so the money is out there. I can't even go to the cheap-o diner down the street with my old lady for 15 bucks. Cryptic doesn't require a box purchase anymore.

The bottom line is if someone finds this fun, they'll sacrifice 15 bucks. That's a couple packs of cigarettes, a few beers at a bar, a couple hours of bowling, etc. It's not much. I honestly don't even notice the money gone from my account.
  • Options
    lordgabelordgabe Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My brain melts reading these forums there is so much weird hate towards this game... this 'free' game that you think will run fine if we all stop buying stuff(some people i know just don't buy stuff at all anyhow), I've spent a fair bit of money on it and you know... I like it and will spend more yea i know thats oddly positive for this forum!

If you can't handle a day of iffy servers and a few sudden patches then hate to point out its the name of the mmo game. For example I was stuck on an airship for wow's last expansion for like an hour lagging as the server buckled and my top end pc wept as hundreds of people tried to do some air mission in one of the worst spawn in start zones ever, that was tiresome and thats wow, the big dog, one of the only working sub model mmos left(yea there are others like EVE but whatever). Diablo was the same and hell any of these launching new expansions generally crashes battle net at some point and cripples the other games too.

My point is simply is if you can't handle a bit of down time here and there then your playing the wrong format of gaming, try a DS or some other mostly single player games that won't upset you so much.

Just to throw one last thing back at you, you don't have to pay for anything in this game but i do and you know what i've got onto this game in under 5mins for every login as a lifer, that priority benifit really pays off :)
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    W.B. Yeats

Lifer since beta its never been so good! So now can everyone chill this game is going in the right direction :P
  • Options
    krell83stokrell83sto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hayato52 wrote: »
    To all those complaining that they bought a legacy pack or lifetime subscription etc... Hopefully you learn your lesson next time before giving your money to a company so easily.
    My lesson so far.

I'm pretty happy.

Complaining about those complaining is just another complaint.

Lifer since Feb '10 :P

Enjoy the Free Game :rolleyes:

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
  • Options
    okawaho1okawaho1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    K all lets get one thing stright PW is to blame and here is why

1 Pw bought out Cryptic
    2 Pw bought out Cryptic
    3 Pw bought out Cryptic
    4 there is no more Cryptis they where BOUGHT out by PW
    5 Get it now
  • Options
    atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sorry for supporting this game either.

This is a very good game, plain and simple. I really don't give any craps about what you guys think....

And it's not based in china either, where the hell did you get that? I was in san mateo the other day, saw a perfect world building.

Honestly, EVERY MMO EVER HAS THESE KINDS OF PROBLEMS.

Yes, it was an oversight to not lease some temp server equipment, but seriously -- LOR is awesome. You are lucky they even are developing this game -- it could be like battlestar galactica online - where every day they bombard you with things asking for money, and it's literally impossible to level up without paying them heaps of money. This isn't battlestar galactica, be thankful that the devs aren't as bad as that game.
    Some downtime isn't gonna kill you, don't be so self entitled. Don't forget that if you think this game is so bad, WHY ARE YOU HERE?
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i have been able to log in, no problem so far.. the truth is that i love this game, it's the best casual mmo i have ever played and i played a lot! i'm 38... so, if i cannot log in, then i go to do something else, and i'll come back tomorrow...

Besides, and more important tan all of these... unable to write for unknown reasons..

(relax, the game will be here tomorrow and next week too, it's an inmense overhaul
    , they WILL have some troubles and require tweaking..)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    toonameowttoonameowt Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the OMGWTFLOLBBQ NERDRAEGQUIT WHAAAAAAAAAGAARRRRRRBBBLLLL threads every time new content or a new season comes live.

They're almost as much fun as watching Youtubes of wild-azz Russian traffic "incidents." :D
  • Options
    lacustrislacustris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Jeebus... All games go through this TRIBBLE. At least the servers are up for now. DDO went down for almost a week and they compensated the players with a paltry sum of points that took another two weeks to deliver.

If I enjoy a game then I don't see any reason not to support it with $$$.
  • Options
    richardcranium63richardcranium63 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is an update I posted to my support ticket when I got really pissed off. :mad:

You guys truly suck at being prepared for launch days!!!
    Being that I am a lifetime subscriber & have to date spent a lot of real money on this game, I have to express my continued disappointment in your overall preparedness & performance history.
    Perhaps a complaint to the BBB or a class-action law suit would encourage you to change your ways. I'm sure that there are others that feel the same as myself that would be glad to join me.
    At any other company, this lack of preparedness & performance on launch day would result in lots of staff being fired. I suggest that you take stock of your testing or lack thereof & make changes & improvements as necessary & required to avoid these situations in the future.
    Here's hoping that you will take heed.

I have no idea if my post got the attention of anyone but I guarantee that we would get their attention if we all submitted complaints to the BBB &/or filed a class-action law suit.

Just saying...
    RichardCranium63
    Fed/Vulcan: T'jar Voltek Fleet: Section 31
    Fed/Andorian: Lissan Ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa Fleet: Section 31
    KDF/Cardi: K'Im Qah da Sian Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
    KDF/Reman: R'Chras Jonzor Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would take post like these with a grain (or a pound) of salt, the Cryptic hate squad is bouncing from STO to Neverwinter spreading their special kind of joy. :rolleyes:

I have played since beta and bough a LT the day they were offered, it has been an incredible value for my money when you add the hours of fun, the friends I have made etc. I enjoy what the devs have done here they have busted their asses and deserve a pat on the back.

And the Cryptic hate machine needs to get a grip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is an update I posted to my support ticket when I got really pissed off. :mad:

Being that I am a lifetime subscriber & have to date spent a lot of real money on this game, I have to express my continued disappointment in your overall preparedness & performance history.
    Perhaps a complaint to the BBB or a class-action law suit would encourage you to change your ways. I'm sure that there are others that feel the same as myself that would be glad to join me.
    At any other company, this lack of preparedness & performance on launch day would result in lots of staff being fired. I suggest that you take stock of your testing or lack thereof & make changes & improvements as necessary & required to avoid these situations in the future.

I have no idea if my post got the attention of anyone but I guarantee that we would get their attention if we all submitted complaints to the BBB &/or filed a class-action law suit.

Just saying...

Yeah threats always work. :rolleyes:

So you are reporting Cryptic to the BBB a organization steeped in scandal and questionable ethics....the irony.

I tell you what, you find an actual attorney who is stupid enough to file a class action because you can't play your game today and I will fund your legal expenses.

All the support ticket update did was probably made them laugh, it certainly gave me a chuckle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am quite pleased with Cryptic. The LoR content is great so far, and I appreciate how the Devs did listen to a lot of the feedback on tribble before this went live, especially how the D'Deridex was concerned. Login queues have not been much trouble for me, only a minute or 2 here and there, 5 min at the most. I wasn't naive enough to try to log on right after the update, I expected a few hours of downtime on launch day, and by the time I did log on later in the day to play, things were working fine for me.

I will be buying the Legacy pack tommorow after I can get to the bank, I was thinking of waiting for awhile, but might as well do it now while its on sale.

My only issue that I have right now is the Tal Shiar lockbox and lockboxes in general. I am trying to figure out how they decided on the new lockbox ships, they don't even remotley interest me, I can't ever remeber wanting a assimilated Romulan ship, and never hear anyone saying that is what we need in the game next. Why not make ships people actually want in the game instead of just pulling ideas out of your rear end:rolleyes:
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My STO LTS was one of the best gaming purchases I made. I bought mine while STO was still in beta a good week or 2 before launch and have gotten more out of STO than any other game to date. Purchasing LoR Legacy Pack was a no brainer. Plus been looking forward to the D'deridex for 3 years.
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Just saying...

Blah blah blah, always someone who has to act like a noob coming through with class action lawsuit idiocy when it comes to launch days. Please go see a lawyer and tape it so we all can watch you get mocked and humiliated by the suggestion of a lawsuit.
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bought the Legacy Pack, and so far, I'm glad I did. Having the extra ship choices is nice. At Centurion, I was able to pick a Dhael over a Dhelan. Reason being, the Dhael is a much better aesthetically pleasing design as opposed to the Dhelan.

What I do not appreciate, OP, is you sitting there and assuming that I am complaining about what I paid for. I paid $125 for 9 ship designs, that would cost anywhere between 1500 and 2K zen each, a Liberated Borg Reman Bridge Officer, a Reman DOff pack, a Reman Nemesis uniform (that can be worn by both the Lib Borg Reman BOff, and the Reman Boff you get on Crateris, as well as the player's Reman), 30 master keys (which, with the 10-packs normal price of 975 zen, is almost 13K to 13.5K zen on those alone), plus 3 titles that I can use ingame and on the forums. On top of that, the Refits and Retrofit designs each come with universal consoles not available on the base ships. AND, when grouped together, the consoles have 2 piece set bonuses that effect your ship's stats in some way.

All in all, after doing the math, and looking at what I paid for...I got a lot of Bang for my buck by buying a Legacy Pack. Coupling that with the hundreds of dollars I spent on Zen/C/Atari Points, and the $240.00 I spent on a LTS, and the original $60.00 for the base game...I'm invested in this game, because I love Star Trek. And LoR is the best thing to ever happen to this game. Anyone who cries over LoR, or calls it "Season 8" or "major content patch," are just being childish and insulting.

The Devs have put a lot of work into this XPAC. Be thankful that you weren't charged for it at all. If Cryptic or PWE had put a price tag on LoR, you'd all be filling this forum with rage posts about how unfair it is to have a F2P game that charges for XPACs. But the funny thing is, someone said earlier, had they charged for LoR, CS might have gotten an idea of the kind of influx of logins they would have had, and could have prepared the server network accordingly, even renting servers if necessary to cope with a larger influx than anticipated. So, frankly, if you're gonna cry about LoR, or insult people for buying bundles that you opted out of, because you're not happy with the product, then my suggestion to Cryptic is, the next time you decide to expand the game, CHARGE US FOR IT. I'd happily drop money down for it. Because, as I've said, I believe in this product, and this game is my investment.