test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To all those who gave their money to Cryptic...

To all those complaining that they bought a legacy pack or lifetime subscription etc... Hopefully you learn your lesson next time before giving your money to a company so easily.

You all work hard for your money and shouldn't be willing to throw it away so easily! I for one am glad I never poured a ton of money into this game for these very reasons!

I was very skeptical of the competence of cryptic and perfect world entertainment... IMO they have to earn my money by giving excellent customer service and a good product! They clearly didn't earn it here. They really FUBARD by not providing more servers ahead of time for this new expansion launch.

Then again perfect world entertainment is a cheap chinese company so what do you expect? I don't know who is in charge of servers whether its cryptic or PWE but whoever is in charge clearly doesn't care about they're customers and you all got screwed.

The best thing to do now is be cautious with your wallet and who you give your money too...

That is the only thing these companies understand. Once they see they're profit margins dropping significantly they will do something about it to fix it trust me.

Until then I say boycott any more purchases into this game with your wallet until you see action is taken to fix these issues promptly. That's the only way this will get resolved anytime soon...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LoR doesn't end on Friday, you know? It's going to be here for years to come. The people who don't get to play right this moment aren't losing anything. You'd need to be fairly shortsighted to think that the people spending money did so just for a couple of days of play at launch. They're looking at a bigger picture.

If the movie you want to see is sold out this weekend you simply go and see another one and try and catch it next weekend. It's the same with games. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heheh that's what I started to do a few months ago.

-Stopped buying zen stuff with real money (just grind if i feel like it).
    -Didn't buy into any special packages for Cryptic's Neverwinter Nights
    -Didn't buy LOR specials packs or limited time special purchases (129 for an xtra expansion stuff no thank you, i need to eat lol)

Despite still getting login unknown error and not seeing the any of the new stuff in game, I can honestly say I am thoroughly enjoying myself, occasionally reading the forums and playing spoof games like Magicka (oh you swedes... I heart you).

At some point (I'm going to assume two weeks from now) I can log in and enjoy the D'Deridex. Until then, yay I still have my money! That makes this a good day :D
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    killjack0killjack0 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They dont get Servers every time a major update comes out for the reason that within 2 weeks the Population drops back down to normal numbers where they dont need the larger servers capacity and then what do they do with the hardware. Its too expensive to sit around. Now if the population stayed at a higher level they could get more servers but it usually drops within 2 weeks.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hayato52 wrote: »
    To all those complaining that they bought a legacy pack or lifetime subscription etc... Hopefully you learn your lesson next time before giving your money to a company so easily.

You all work hard for your money and shouldn't be willing to throw it away so easily! I for one am glad I never poured a ton of money into this game for these very reasons!

I was very skeptical of the competence of cryptic and perfect world entertainment... IMO they have to earn my money by giving excellent customer service and a good product! They clearly didn't earn it here. They really FUBARD by not providing more servers ahead of time for this new expansion launch.

Then again perfect world entertainment is a cheap chinese company so what do you expect? I don't know who is in charge of servers whether its cryptic or PWE but whoever is in charge clearly doesn't care about they're customers and you all got screwed.

The best thing to do now is be cautious with your wallet and who you give your money too...

That is the only thing these companies understand. Once they see they're profit margins dropping significantly they will do something about it to fix it trust me.

Until then I say boycott any more purchases into this game with your wallet until you see action is taken to fix these issues promptly. That's the only way this will get resolved anytime soon...

You mean do the SIM city here as well. EA almost took a dump when SIM city launched catastrophically due to server issues a couple of mo ago due to server issues. At least they were apologetic and they got a free extra game for their trouble. PWE not likely...same issues have plagued STO since launch...for 8 different versions they dont seem to learn the lesson. People will come and others will go...then again its just about MONEY :D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, those people will definitely get what they paid for.

Just not today. Or this week. Or the next month if things get worse. :P
  • Options
    vertisce2121vertisce2121 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid $200 over 3 years ago for a lifetime sub. I have gotten more hours of play and value out of my 3 years than any other game I have ever played. I would say the purchase was well worth it.

A day or two of downtime here and there is not a major problem when by all accounts the vast majority of the time STO is working fine and I can play whenever I want.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killjack0 wrote: »
    They dont get Servers every time a major update comes out for the reason that within 2 weeks the Population drops back down to normal numbers where they dont need the larger servers capacity and then what do they do with the hardware. Its too expensive to sit around. Now if the population stayed at a higher level they could get more servers but it usually drops within 2 weeks.

So basically, Cryptic's business model is so self-defeatist that they only have the basic server because they believe people will leave their game? Self-defeatist or cheap.

Well that explains a lot :D, much better to have server(s) that run efficiently and can handle releases... at the very least even when it wasn't new expansion time, lag would still be pretty bad.

Cryptic Server suggestion: "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have." or "If you build it, they will come.".... and then stay because it's not stupid with que times, lag, and unknown error logins.

I paid $200 over 3 years ago for a lifetime sub. I have gotten more hours of play and value out of my 3 years than any other game I have ever played. I would say the purchase was well worth it.

A day or two of downtime here and there is not a major problem when by all accounts the vast majority of the time STO is working fine and I can play whenever I want.

That $200 should have gone to better servers lol!
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    manlyyamsmanlyyams Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That's why you rent server space. Many MMOs do it for launch weeks. WoW, LoL, etc. etc. It's actually pretty common for MMO-running companies to do so
  • Options
    dstden1dstden1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Of course the population drops down after two weeks when the majority of people trying to play can't get into the game. LOL Get the servers to support the new population and maybe people will stick around and then they WILL need the larger server capacity.

You definitely are not Vulcan with logic like yours.

Here's a thought. If you can't support the mass influx of returning and new players when you drop a new expansion then DON'T ADVERTISE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!! If they had spend half as much getting the game ready for release as they had on the advertising and marketing there wouldn't be any problems at all.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    LoR doesn't end on Friday, you know? It's going to be here for years to come. The people who don't get to play right this moment aren't losing anything. You'd need to be fairly shortsighted to think that the people spending money did so just for a couple of days of play at launch. They're looking at a bigger picture.

If the movie you want to see is sold out this weekend you simply go and see another one and try and catch it next weekend. It's the same with games. :)

Except I can book tickets to the movie I want to see in advance, or try a different theatre, or go on a weekday rather than the weekend to avoid the crowds. I can't do any of that with STO; if I try to log in and there's a queue that takes four hours to get through, I'm as well logging right back off again because I only had two hours to play the game.

For a lot of people, this ludicrous queue situation effectively means we're locked out of the game until at the very least next Monday, perhaps even all next week as well, depending on if these queues are genuinely an issue of a full server or just a shoddy broken login system.

Sycophancy won't motivate Cryptic/PWE to upgrade their server capacity around content launches, or develop a more load-tolerant login system; people want access to the game that they've paid for, and that is not even remotely unreasonable, but every time issues come up, there always seem to be a cavalcade of White Knights ready to ride to the defence of whatever uncaring faceless corporate entity they've developed their strange fixation with.

Paying customers have every right to complain if they're not getting what they paid for.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im a lifetime member.. ive been playing since beta, and its been a roller coaster ride for me..release was ok.. but short.. (since it had almost no endgame content at that time, and still doesnt for that matter) (no grinds do not constitute end game content)... but i liked season 2 and 3.. then season 4 happened.. and they just never relaly recovered in my eyes.. sure season 6 and 7 were ok.. but nothing spectacular.. season 7 was primarily a rewrap of season 6.. no effort..

and now this thing they insultingly call an expansion is out, and to be honest, it is "meh" at best.. i have no interest in the way they portray romulans, so i refuse to build one, and as a fed guy, in less than a day i have already done all there is to do with the expansion err.. i mean patch..

is a lifetime, or any other pack worth the money, well from a purely financial standpoint, yes, you get bang for your buck over what you would spend on the zen store or what not..

in my own eyes, has it been worth it for the gaming experience.. not really.. i have played alot, (pretty close to all) games that have been released.. i rate this game with that of Aeon.. a disapointment. to be honest, i ask myself all the time why i still play this game, and my answer is cause its kinda f2p, i have money invested, and i LOVE star trek..

imho, if this game was just another fantasy game, or was a space game that did not carry the star trek ip, it wouldnt have made it this long..

and a game that is over three years old, shouldnt have this many server issues.. ever... incompetance at its best..
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Like they say, i post my issues and continue playing, while waiting for things to be fixed.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bought my LTS during beta and have never spent a real dime afterwards. Collect my 500 zen per month, grind a little Dil and I have enough Zen to buy a ship AND open 10-20 lockboxes a month. I just logged into the game 14 of 18,232 in the queue.

So I am enjoying MY investment.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • Options
    cronkstarcronkstar Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been playing MMo's for 10 years...and never in my life have i seen a 20k + que line to play a game.
    What are you thinking!?!
    I just started playing a couple of month's ago and as much as i like this game i can not play anymore...
    I have only a few hours everyday to play. but in the last 2 days i stand in line the whole time....
    i did get on fer like 5 mins last night BUT OMG everything looks like TRIBBLE.....interface looks like a child made it and feels worse.

WHAT YOUR DOING TO THIS GAME IS WRONG. I'm sure 99% of the peeps i was standing in line with feel the sameway. That is 20k+ peeps your pissing off right now and prob wont be playing in couple weeks.

GOODJOB! yall have ruined a perfectly good game. Hope your proud of yourselfs.... :mad:
  • Options
    zopar1zopar1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They could lease servers temporarily, they don't always have to buy them.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Agreed,

I bought my Lifetime Sub 2 weeks before STO went live back in 2010 and STO has by far been the game that I've played the most since then and I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

I bought the Legacy Pack last week because I wanted to show my support for LOR, I really enjoyed what I saw when I was beta testing on tribble and I really like what of LOR I got to play since the update went live.

Some of these threads are just getting pointless; people major updates bring problems nearly every time, just wait for the problems to be resolved.

Go outside and take a long deep breath ?? it's going to be ok :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kilosoldierkilosoldier Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know that Cryptic can short term lease server equipment...right?

It doesn't have to be a long term investment on their part to bring infrastructure up to handle increased demand. Then when things level out they can look at long term solutions based on the new demand.

The argument that "They shouldn't waste money because the population and demand will drop back to what it was" is really nonsense.

It seems folly to throw a bucket of ice cold water on the slow building fire that was the interest of the expansion from new players as well as possible returning players.

Dont know but whatever possible money they save could be less then the potential revenue they could have been inline to gain.

You would think that Cryptic and STO especially would understand the importance of a good "first impression" when dealing with MMO's, you would think........
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    I'm a lifer, I've bought much zen/c-points and bought the Legacy Pack.

Other than a short period yesterday when nobody could log in (time I used to mow my lawn), and a little inventory/quest turn in lag, I have had no problems playing. I'm not sorry for supporting this game.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Paying customers have every right to complain if they're not getting what they paid for.

If you are silver, you are technically not 'paying' for anything. Yes, you can buy stuff from the store, and in that case, you get what you pay for - the item from the store. But this is a free to play game.

You can 'buy' priority login if you want. It's called a "Gold subscription". I haven't had to wait in the que for more than a minute.

And ques are common on release of a new game/expansion, and are pretty much always only temporary.
    cronkstarcronkstar Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most game's gotta give u reason too give them money.......THIS is not THAT.
    by the look of it i gotta spend money JUST to get into line in front of everyone.
    WOW That's logic there.....:eek:
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Nonsense.

Server capacity directly correlates with customer retention. It is imperative that servers are perpetually upgraded and enhanced if they intend to swell their customer base numbers. An 'expansion' or large content update such as LoR is very much purposed toward bringing in new customers as well as satisfying existing customers, thus it necessarily follows that server capacity be upgraded to accommodate for increased customer retention potential. If it is not, as we are seeing now, potentially new and currently existing customers alike will become dissatisfied with the product/service and be lost to competitors.

This is not a new or arcane concept. It's been seen time and again throughout the history of MMOs, and has either lead to the downfall of an MMO, or the long-term sustenance of an MMO. Without increased server capacity, WoW would not still be around. Had WAR increased their server capacity and functionality to accommodate the demands of server-wide sieges, it would have perhaps had a longer run. GW would not be able to function properly without adequate server capacity. And so on, and so forth. Server capacity for an online title is just as important to the success of that title as such things as content updates, balance, economic stability, etc.

The population will never "stay at a higher level" so long as the servers fail to have the capacity to support that higher level. Server capacity and stability is a necessary pre-requisite to customer growth.

Now, it may very well be possible that Cryptic/PWE doesn't care about expanding their customer base. But that would be a rather odd business model for a for-profit business.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hayato52 wrote: »
    they have to earn my money by giving excellent customer service and a good product!

They make a decent product. Their games are fun. Usually well thought out. The writing in some parts is sterling. In others not so much, but overall I find their games to be creative and engaging.

Their customer service track record is a nightmare, however. And has gotten a lot worse since being bought by PWE.

Individually I'll give a lot of credit to those I see working their hardest. And I don't have any bile or vitriol for the people who I am sure just pulled an all-nighter.

But their poor customer service is systemic, and goes back years. So I don't know, it's the whole enchilada there in terms of customer service.

I know folks are trying their best. And working hard. That is appreciated. But the system has a lot of problems and it shows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is what it is, without knowing the numbers I say this game runs on a pretty tight budget, the influx of players at major updates isn't necessarily a scale increase in income. Which is an offshot for creating a F2P game that is so playable while free.

this is a strange game setup in that I think there are people who have played this game for hundreds of hours plus for free and also people who literally poor hundreds even thousands of dollars into this game.

Cryptic have made it an easy game to poor cash into. heck I was shocked when I looked at the price of the legacy pack. $130 for what lets face it is really just minor cosmetic stuff. I would have considered it if it was like $30 and the starter pack hardly rates as fluff but people buy it because they enjoy the game. Good on them.

From what I have seen when I've been able to actually log in I like what they have done, it does seem quite bold. The improved visuals and all the new content and game changes all at once. It's a lot. even though I could hardly zone, start doff missions or even delete mail I get the feeling all the changes will be really good once everything actually works.

I'm ok with the problems. I expect them, but I would be kinda pissed if I was a lifetime subber who had purchased the legacy pack...

But don't dis the silver members, the game wouldn't be much without them and they like me put money into this game as well. I may not be gold but I purchased a collectors edition box and I've made a zen purchase mostly because I felt I had to when I passed 100 hours played in the game.

I mean what do you do. Create a priority queue based on how much money total you have put in the game?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm as well logging right back off again because I only had two hours to play the game.

For a lot of people, this ludicrous queue situation effectively means we're locked out of the game until at the very least next Monday, perhaps even all next week as well, depending on if these queues are genuinely an issue of a full server or just a shoddy broken login system.

I'm thinking that this issue will actually be solved by puttenham's criticism seen here ...
    puttenham wrote: »
    and now this thing they insultingly call an expansion is out, and to be honest, it is "meh" at best.. i have no interest in the way they portray romulans, so i refuse to build one, and as a fed guy, in less than a day i have already done all there is to do with the expansion err.. i mean patch..

Even for those playing Romulans it will only take a week to level cap.

Which means the interest will fade fast.

And viola, everyone can go back to farming dilithium.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of you are forgetting that this is a Free-to-play game. Comparing 'customer retention' to WoW is like comparing apples and oranges. If I were paying a monthly sub, of course I would demand they make enough server capacity to get rid of the ques. But there is no monthly sub required to play this game. Heck, they didn't even charge for this expansion. Sure they may temporarily lose some customers due to the que, but these customers will be back. Why? Because it costs them nothing to do so. It's free now. It will be free a month from now.
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Some of you are forgetting that this is a Free-to-play game. Comparing 'customer retention' to WoW is like comparing apples and oranges. If I were paying a monthly sub, of course I would demand they make enough server capacity to get rid of the ques. But there is no monthly sub required to play this game. Heck, they didn't even charge for this expansion. Sure they may temporarily lose some customers due to the que, but these customers will be back. Why? Because it costs them nothing to do so. It's free now. It will be free a month from now.

Now don't you go bringing Logic into this :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited May 2013
    Have a Gold Sub - waited 10 min in the Q yesterday and 4 min today.

In that time I have done a grouling fast leveling of my new Reman through all the missions and is now LvL 42

I have no complaints except a few things - spoliers ahead!!

The Space and ground fights against the Elichi - or whatever they are called - the space waves just get tiring and the missions take SOOO long

then the ground part - you get disabled SOOO much that half the time you are offline - and I am a sci with some debuffs

It's painfully slow - I mean the content is good - story is good but space there are too many ships you have to destroy and ground is really hard because most don't spec into the ground level resists - and at the level you fight the ground guys you have not even gotten to the higher ground skills that will help you with the disables.

All and all good job by Cryptic - people need to understand that they can't up their capacity to 100k players at the same time - then in 3 weeks its back down to a daily max of 20k

It's a catch-22: You want to have high enough capacity so people get on and buy stuff and don't just give up - but you don't want to increase that capacity so much that it's idle 75% a month later as everyone blown through the content and is off on summer stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The Space and ground fights against the Elichi - or whatever they are called - the space waves just get tiring and the missions take SOOO long

then the ground part - you get disabled SOOO much that half the time you are offline - and I am a sci with some debuffs

It's painfully slow - I mean the content is good - story is good but space there are too many ships you have to destroy and ground is really hard because most don't spec into the ground level resists - and at the level you fight the ground guys you have not even gotten to the higher ground skills that will help you with the disables.

Both of those issues were raised on Tribble. It is valid criticism for that content. But nothing changed. So maybe this time we can get them to listen and respond?

One of my longest standing criticisms of their customer service "package" is that the testing process seems pointless since so much feedback doesn't seem to get to the right spot. And stuff launches that really should have been given another look.

This isn't a slight on the people doing the job. Just that the system they've been given to work with is not efficient or a lot of times not effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would think that Cryptic and STO especially would understand the importance of a good "first impression" when dealing with MMO's, you would think........

Why change now?
  • Options
    quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »

It is not the totally free players they have to worry about retaining...they will always be around. It is the non monthly sub ones that sink tons of money into the c store ships or lockboxes. Once you TRIBBLE off that customer base the game will be pretty much over. This game doesn't make tons of money off monthly subs. If they did they would take a lot better care of them. I should know having been one myself.......