test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to Log In Due to Unknown Reasons (We're investigating this)

Comments

• Options
    blackgold74blackgold74 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guess I'm also on the list of "Login failed for an unknown reason". Superfun!
  • Options
    aftershockofcormaftershockofcorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So this just could be because of server "inrush" ?

I'm cool.

I will try to log in later.
  • Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here,

ISP: Virgin Media
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    played about 4 hours worth for what its worth and at the first hour it was playable with the odd lag spike, but its gotten progressively worse as the hours ticked on. it's actually gotten so bad in game right now hardly anything server side responds besides the typical ingame movement and combat, but thats about it. trying to turn in or start a mission takes an ice age much the same for assigning boffs, weapons, so on...

i am not surprised people are having issues with the launcher, their server is overloaded.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    haelishaelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I am not a kid and I am complaining. Yes it is the norm for this game. That does not mean it should be. They have gone through this many times before now. They are fully aware of the requirments for doing a update like this. Problem is PWE is too cheap to buy the equipment they need and hire the IT personnel they need. This is not a Cryptic problem. This is a PWE problem who holds control of the purse because they own Cryptic now. How sad. Having read their Wallstreet report for this game and the HUGE money it is making them. They have no excuse for being so cheap. None. Zero. Nada. How sad.

OK rant over. I am fully aware this post is useless, but I feel better letting it out. :) I just get tired of them doing it over and over and over and over and over. Feed the hamsters ya cheap cruds...............:mad:
    And I'm old, not dead.
    If your're so smart how come you don't own everything? :D
    Proud Member of Starfleet Elite Task Force & Klingon Elite Task Force for 4 yrs
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Patch 90% in 10 minutes.

Remaining 10% takes 3 hours.

FINALLY get to login.

"Retrieving list of characters..."

"Login failed for unknown reason."

repeat final 3 steps indefinitely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    tanadanattanadanat Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The OP seriously amuses me.
    I remember playing (and paying for the sub plus the expansions) EverQuest when Kunark and Velious came out...
    First day was a nightmare and it took a week at least for everything to be "working as intended"

Take a deep breath and hold it.

You can let it out when you realize this is normal and you shouldn't take things so seriously.
  • Options
    leopard316leopard316 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same issue here...
  • Options
    spook74spook74 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scarrn wrote: »
    I am having the same exact issue. I was patching (at a glacial pace) and then was suddenly dropped from the patching process. When I restarted the patch I got script errors and a white page, but it SEEMED to be patching quickly.

I got an "Engage" and tried it. That is when I got to the loading screen and got "Logon failed for an unknown reason."

I restarted my computer and when I restarted STO the script error was gone, but I still get the "Logon failed for an unknown reason."

I don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall STO, but thats all I can think of as a next step unless someone here has a better idea.

I don't recomend re-installing, was patching for 6 hours today myself think I would loose the will to live if I did that ;) seems like a common problem though, just stick with it is my advice
  • Options
    saufangsaufang Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about an update - same issue for me.

To think I was almost dumb enough to go from Gold to Lifetime and buy the big pack before logging in....glad I waited.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^^ above posters pg 1 - 18
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kainedexkainedex Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same here this is begining to take the p***
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing for me:

Booted -> Unable to Login for Unknown Reasons -> Logged in after a few tries and placed in queue -> makes it to front of queue and selects character -> immediately gets server not responding -> Booted.

Vicious Cycle!
  • Options
    aidy1972ukaidy1972uk Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I give up tonight.

The damn Beta was less bleeding buggy!
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also experiencing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    jettemjettem Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apparently they didnt beta test this or stress test this, because there is a long list of us now getting it.
  • Options
    roman1229roman1229 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting the same. It says its retrieving the character list and then says it can't log in.

That's exactly what I'm getting.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    three or four times it crashes just as it gets to the logo screen, since then it has been "unable to log in for unkown reasons".

Brandon, Danny, Taco and co, you guys came up with some of the best gameing I've ever come across from my exeprinces on tribble, why does THIS always happen on holodeck rollout?
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    omegasignasomegasignas Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to clog up the drain"
    all I can say is "dammit Jim, i'm a player, not a developer" so im sitting here looking at a login failure, which suggest either the authentication server/login server, cant handle all the traffic at once, fun.
  • Options
    cdiederichscdiederichs Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. Patching slow, I can take. Login queues I can take. Failing to load character selection screen AFTER logging in and patching due to "Unknown Reason"? Gonna make me scream...
  • Options
    alphavictortrekalphavictortrek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same issue. But a few moments before that, It wouldn't recognize my password.
  • Options
    mallory2kxmallory2kx Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too am getting this annoying message constantly i paid for legacy pack i dont expect to be qued either, plz fix this dam thing already.
  • Options
    matthian1701matthian1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Watch this 2 minute clip from DS9 while you wait to logon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89WcIwjlQxA&NR=1
  • Options
    aaabbbbccccdddddaaabbbbccccddddd Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I thought patching was the biggest barrier :/
  • Options
    banditkoval440banditkoval440 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yep same exact thing... come on...
  • Options
    plasticwidowplasticwidow Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me ask you this, does it come up with the message saying it's getting your character list, and then sits there for a few seconds longer than it should, and then get the failed login error?
    if so, I'm getting the same damn thing, and I think it's the game timing out.

Yes, happening to me, too. I login just fine... it gets to the message: Retrieving Character List... then it sits there for about 1 minute, then I get the message: Login failed for unknown reason, and it pops me to the Login again, and it just continually loops. i even exited out of the login and tried again, same thing.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dark4blood wrote: »
    Same problem, failed to login after just being in the game, game is extremely slow at first, crashes and then refuses to let you login. Says, "Failed to Login for Unknown Reason". HOW THE HELL CAN IT BE AN UNKNOWN REASON!

The system is automatic and so when a certain data stream fails to migrate to the main server but reads everything as normal the only message the automatic system can give is "unknown" because there would be nothing wrong with the calculations the automatic system is doing so it wouldn't bring up a specific reason.

without over complicating it, it's basically like troubleshooting and when it runs out of things to use, its simply unknown.
This discussion has been closed.