test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do people think JJ ruined Star Trek?

Comments

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Decline in morality my TRIBBLE, the older generation knew how to swear and cuss just like the younger generation, where do you think they learn?

In fact, my grandfather was one of the biggest dirty mouths in my life, and he was a bit racist too. Myself, I do my best not swear in front of the kids and I am not racist by any means.
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is the big deal about JJ's trek?
    the instant Kirk 'n Crew took that Klingon bucket of bolts back in time something like this became 'Canon'.

How is that obvious fact not , well, obvious?

With the introduction of the time police or whatever in subsequent Treks furthered the possibility and even likelihood that something akin to what is represented in JJ's trek might come to pass?

Would you rather the franchise die out completely?
    We've been left hanging on to poor scripting and poor acting 'n believing it will be enough to carry the Star Trek (tm) legacy into the future with us and our children 'n maybe their children then grandchildren until one day maybe, just maybe, the human race survives itself long enough for art to imitate life.
    This new version of trek will, and has already, provided us (meaning trek fans), with new brethren, new blood. young faces with wide eyes and wild imaginations.

The core ideals are there, the principals that made trek so special to so many of us.
    They are strong within "JJ's" trek.

We should only be thankful, I am no Cryptic or PWE fanboi, but I appreciate and applaud their ability to appeal to new people, and keep old faces glued to the screen.
    JJ abrams trek is undeniably entertaining,
    Get over yourself.
    Get over your narcissistic predetermined perceptual conclusions (or whatever) of what a new star trek movie should be, and embrace what it always has been.
    One potential window into an idealized future, a culmination of thousands of years of planetary conflict into a truly utopian society.
    Stop your damn QQing. you embarrass yourself.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer the original query:

Because the internet is full of small, lonely people that need to complain about how celebrities ruined their childhood.

It's impossible to take seriously.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the reboot series (past the lens flare problem, that really is the only truly annoying thing about the two movies).

Plotwise, characterwise, everything else is fine. There is no sense in making a carbon copy of past canon movie with different people playing the characters. Then the nerds would just whine there is no Shatner.

So whatever, they are good flicks.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One more thing-look what they did to the Vulcan race! Sarek would never accept his emotions like that. Nor would he be OK with his son showing emotions. Prime universe Spock said he was going to help repair and preserve Vulcan culture.m It looks as though Vulcan culture had already degraded beyond repair following the destruction of their home planet!

The prime universe Sarek didn't watch his wife die while his entire world got destroyed. He didn't watch his son have the weight of that world thrust on his shoulders while trying to save the Federation.

There are a bunch of valid complaints against the 09 Trek, but Sarek's attitude isn't one of them (IMO).

It just forced emotional growth. He basically reached the place Spock had reached in Undiscovered Country. Remember, in that movie, Spock said, "Logic is the beginning of wisdom."

I think Sarek's and Spock's relationship played out well.
  • dammitjim78dammitjim78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked it. It wasn't a classic like ST: V "The Final Frontier", but not a bad popcorn flick.....

JK! pretty good movie, and better than V, Generations ST 09 and Insurrection at least.
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why? One word: DIFFERENT.

Trekkies can't handle different.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why? One word: DIFFERENT.

Trekkies can't handle different.

Six different series later...
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And if you recall, every single one of them was met with unbridled hate, simply because it wasn't TOS.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And if you recall, every single one of them was met with unbridled hate, simply because it wasn't TOS.
    Not all of them.

DS9 was met with unbridled hate in part because it was seen as a ripoff of Babylon 5, as well. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My issue with the new films is the whole Abrhams is here to save Star Trek BS, all he did was fracture the community. I think there were, and still are, plenty of issues with the franchise that MUST be resolved to move the entire franchise forward. JJ didn't solve any of them and may have made them worse.

The first issue is bring the franchise all into one camp and make plans for Star Treks as a whole and not just as individual pieces. Right now, as it stands, we have Paramount and CBS owning the movie and TV series rights which needs to be ended then merged into one division. Plan for the movies to spin off to a new show or vice versa. Basically use one side to help the other along even if they have seperate owners.

Add a little variety to the casts. The formula for casting Trek seems to be to have a pimply faced cadet, an alien/machine who wants to be human or is half human, a snooty captain who does the right thing every time, and a character designed for comedy relief. Lets add a TRIBBLE character, a character with a shady moral background, a character who is losing her humanity, or an alien species we have never seen before.

Mix the casts by adding new characters along with familiar faces, they done it before and with great success (Worf and O'Brien on DS9). Starfleet is a Military installation after all and can deploy its personnel as they see fit. Take the Titan books as an example..Titan has Riker, Troi, Tuvok, and a mix new characters. Rotate in Special guest stars when it makes sense to do so, like if the Borg pop in a story bring in Seven of Nine, Picard, Janeway, or even Hugh. A movie with Voyager, DS9, and TNG casts could do big bank if handled properly.

Don't make the mistake of jumping ahead 100 years as it completely takes (most) guest stars out the picture and opens too many gaps in trek history.

Why does a new series have to be done in a traditional format? Make a new show a miniseries, put it on HBO, Netflix, or Sci Fi Channel, or make a show from a perspective we've never seen before.

My thought is that Trek did need to be freshened up a bit but not the way JJ did it. His movies felt more like Star Wars with Star Trek characters thrown in for ships and giggles.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow...32 pages...I'll keep it short

Firstly I enjoyed JJ's new trek however a couple things must be pointed out.

Many of the people involved in this JJ production blatantly say they either dont like star trek and/or have never watched it. How can this be Star Trek?

The whole alternate universe/timeline argument is ludicrous....the OP says JJ's Trek "has nothing to do with Star Trek." I can't believe people give JJ a totally free hand to do as he pleases just because of a nice loophole inserted into the script. People go to see Star Trek to see...well Star Trek.

We all know a "certain character" was brought back to appeal to the people that want to see...STAR TREK.

They conducted a lot of research groups and polling etc...people watching the movie who click the button when they see something they like. Unfortunately the intent of these research groups is to find out what a non-english speaking foreigner liked so it would have international appeal. What happens? stuff blows up and they click the button. what do we get? no dialogue and lots of explosions.

Bottom line is while I enjoyed the new movies for what they are....they arent Star Trek.
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bottom line is while I enjoyed the new movies for what they are....they arent Star Trek.

Something similar has been said about every single thing with the name "Star Trek" since the original series. I've heard people go on at length about how JJ ruined the franchise only to reveal, after some questioning, that they didn't consider Enterprise, parts of Voyager, the animated series, or some of the other movies to be Star Trek, either. It's hard to take such a declaration seriously.

Crud, I'm well old enough to remember how angry some fans were when TNG premiered. Who was this stupid Q guy? Who replaced Real Man (tm) Kirk with this dapper chappy here? Data is just a rip-off of Spock. Etc. Etc. Etc. It wasn't Trek to them. It didn't match their idealized version of what the series would be and and took it in a direction they could only ever be disappointed with. That's what "ruined" it for them.
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel like I'm going to be chased off the forums pursued by a torch-wielding mob for this, but a fair few of the reactions I've seen put me in mind of this comic.

*flees rapidly*
    yjIzVE9.png
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squatsauce wrote: »
    Something similar has been said about every single thing with the name "Star Trek" since the original series. I've heard people go on at length about how JJ ruined the franchise only to reveal, after some questioning, that they didn't consider Enterprise, parts of Voyager, the animated series, or some of the other movies to be Star Trek, either. It's hard to take such a declaration seriously.

Crud, I'm well old enough to remember how angry some fans were when TNG premiered. Who was this stupid Q guy? Who replaced Real Man (tm) Kirk with this dapper chappy here? Data is just a rip-off of Spock. Etc. Etc. Etc. It wasn't Trek to them. It didn't match their idealized version of what the series would be and and took it in a direction they could only ever be disappointed with. That's what "ruined" it for them.

Quoted for truth. Trek has been many things over the years. I for one am glad to have Trek back, especially TOS era. It now has quicker pacing and better effects.

Want the new movies to be just long running Trek episodes? That has been done: TMP and Insurrection. How did those work out? (I liked both those films, but you get my point)

You can't please everyone everywhere. But these new films are good and fun in the eyes of this particular long-time Trekkie. 99.9% of the fellow fans I know and box office tallies agree. Haters gonna hate. Have fun being miserable you lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do some people hate JJ Trek? Because they are old and out of touch with the times. Just like the ones who said TNG wasn't true Trek when it first came, or those those old fogies who say good music stopped coming out when the 90's hit.
    Joined August 2009
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this review sums up everything i think about the new star trek movies

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/
  • vermiskyvermisky Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a person that grew up with the 1960's ST team, and TNG, seen all the movies, etc, personally "JJverse" is ok in its own right. It doesn't have anything to do with the canon ST universe. But I don't think Mr.Abrams will direct the third one, he didn't even want to direct the second(the pacing in the movie makes this glaringly evident :/ ). So there's something for some of you to look forward to I suppose.

Explaining my deal with the "having nothing to do with it" thing - it was to get around how Star Trek: Generations ended. At least that was my understanding of their reason to go this route. We all know in Nimoy Spock's timeline(I refuse to call him "Spock Prime) Kirk is dead.
    Silest :: Sage Venomancer :: retired
    SamaraKnight :: Sage Seeker :: retired
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Being a diehard fan of Trek for 30plus years I gave JJ a shot. Yes I saw my beloved characters return but to me at least it wasn't the same. It seems that Trek is now just heroes vs villains. There's no exploration of space and for that matter the human condition. Perhaps this is the reason I really love TMP. ( I know this puts me in .00001% of the Trek population.) A random villain is fine but I think Trek is now all flash and no substance. But maybe I'm too set in my ways. I remember all too well the hate and vitriol when TNG first appeared. And now I love that too. Time will tell but I will also try to give JJ more chances. There are after all possibilities!

"There can be those who are very frightened of change" -- James T. Kirk
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star trek was built by JR, we all know this. He had a style and a way of preaching and at times was campy and over the top but part of that is what made the shows exceptional.

The current issues of the age were implemented in his stories like inter racial harmony, nuclear weapons, save the whales etc.

As the shows left his hands and became weekly shows they left the ideas behind and started to tweak the shows for ratings and I can partially understand that as tv shows have ratings but STILL even in those shows there were messages to be understood.

JJ Binks and his lens flare, over the top acting, grandiose gestures has removed any semblance of ST from his movies. There are no messages...only FISTS FLYING PER MINUTE and OVERT SEXUALITY that would make the real Kirk blush.

These movies seem well produced and have many special effects and great combat scenes but they are not Star Trek......
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
    edited May 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    Star trek was built by GR

These movies seem well produced and have many special effects and great combat scenes but they are not my idea of Star Trek......

Fixed it for ya
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star trek was built by JR, we all know this.

Who's JR? JR Ewing? JR Smith, the NBA's new sixth man of the year? Ken Griffey JR?
    Many of the people involved in this JJ production blatantly say they either dont like star trek and/or have never watched it. How can this be Star Trek?

Only a couple have said that. And each of them have also said that working on Trek has given them an appreciation for the shows. And each of them has said they went and researched this by watching the shows. JJ Abrams admits to watching marathon sessions of the shows. Lindlehoff admits to going back and watching entire series of epsisodes. And they all admit they like the show now having been able to work on the movies.

Oh and that one guy, Nicholas Meyer, he said he didn't like Trek. Yet I'm told he made a pretty well received Trek film. How can that be Star Trek?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    # 1 Why do people think JJ ruined Star Trek?

because he has !

the quicker he GTFO the better star wars can have him
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    The current issues of the age were implemented in his stories like inter racial harmony, nuclear weapons, save the whales etc.

As the shows left his hands and became weekly shows they left the ideas behind and started to tweak the shows for ratings and I can partially understand that as tv shows have ratings but STILL even in those shows there were messages to be understood.

JJ Binks and his lens flare, over the top acting, grandiose gestures has removed any semblance of ST from his movies. There are no messages...only FISTS FLYING PER MINUTE and OVERT SEXUALITY that would make the real Kirk blush.

I promise I'm not being snarky here. This is a genuine question. Have you watched the new film?

I only ask because if this is important to you, then you might be pleasantly surprised by the new one. There are some pretty overt political/moral themes explored in the new one that directly parallel events in the real world. Far more in this movie than what was explored in, say, Star Treks 1, 2, 3, and 5.

4 and 6 were on about equal footing with this new movie as far as cultural allegory, but the other 4 were most definitely less.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Orci and Kurtzman, the scriptwriters, are in fact unabashed Trek fanboys. That's probably why their characterizations of alt!Kirk, alt!Spock, and alt!McCoy rang so true to this aging Trek fanboy. :)

Abrams, on The Daily Show the other day, confessed that he never got into Star Trek as a kid because he wasn't smart enough for it. After getting the gig for the last movie, he started watching the DVDs, and discovered he likes it.

(I also liked Stewart's reply to Abrams' initial answer: "I have to confess, I stopped listening to you when you said you didn't like Star Trek.")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys, the message in Into darkness was TERRORISM is bad.

The film is dedicated to those who lost their lives in 911 and similar events

There were also Veterans, at the end of the movie folding up the flag.
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys, the message in Into darkness was TERRORISM is bad.

The film is dedicated to those who lost their lives in 911 and similar events

There were also Veterans, at the end of the movie folding up the flag.

I think the message ran much deeper than that. Kirk (and Spock) wrestled with whether or not to kill the bad guy instead of giving him a trial. He struggled with whether or not it was okay to break the fundamental principles of the Federation if the bad guy was really bad.

No matter what your opinion is on those issues, that is a very overt allegory to some current issues in today's world.
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because there are a large portion of 'Star Trek fans' that thrive on hate.

When TNG came out, lots of 'fans' hated it.

They also practice self-delusion like holding TOS up to some ridiculous standard of being more cerebral than it actually is. Human condition this and morality plays that. Sure it has those elements, but in the end it is a super-cheesy science fiction show. Period.

The new films are a sexed-up, faster paced version of TOS. Still cheese, but now spicy nacho cheese.

But the basement-dwelling nitpick crowd need something to hate. THIS AIN'T REAL TREK they cry. I feel sorry for them.
    There are many a number of things I could post here. However I shall calmly state WHAT THE DEVIL ARE YOU DO ON THIS SITE AND HAVE A PHOTO SHOPPED SPOCK AVATAR IF YOU THINK STAR TREK IS SO CHEESY?!

No offense. Maybe that wasn't so calm. Star Trek and everything about it is very important to me. I am completely open to the Abramsverse. I study every aspect of what I am interested. Decades ago TOS was one of or THE greatest Sci Fi shows ever. I like to think of it as "Yesterday's vision of tomorrow."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
    edited May 2013
    There are many a number of things I could post here. However I shall calmly state WHAT THE DEVIL ARE YOU DO ON THIS SITE AND HAVE A PHOTO SHOPPED SPOCK AVATAR IF YOU THINK STAR TREK IS SO CHEESY?!

No offense. Maybe that wasn't so calm. Star Trek and everything about it is very important to me. I am completely open to the Abramsverse. I study every aspect of what I am interested. Decades ago TOS was one of or THE greatest Sci Fi shows ever. I like to think of it as "Yesterday's vision of tomorrow."

Am I not allowed to love and appreciate cheese? Goes good with wine. Cheesy=/=bad. Calm down.

You must've completely ignored everything else I said or read none of my previous posts. TOS was my first love, grew up on it. But if you deny the cheese factor, you are fooling yourself. That is part of what makes it great.

So one of the many a number of things you could post should maybe be: "Whoops, sometimes I jump to conclusions."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I not allowed to love and appreciate cheese? Goes good with wine. Cheesy=/=bad. Calm down.

You must've completely ignored everything else I said or read none of my previous posts. TOS was my first love, grew up on it. But if you deny the cheese factor, you are fooling yourself. That is part of what makes it great.

So one of the many a number of things you could post should maybe be: "Whoops, sometimes I jump to conclusions."
    I apologize. Now I understand. I guess I do jump to conclusions, and I probably should have read the otheer posts you had made on the subject. Sorry Again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard