test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do people think JJ ruined Star Trek?

1141516171820»

Comments

• keiichi2032keiichi2032 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Let's talk about it doesn't really matter what we all think, the movie STILL grossed $415,310,916 worldwide. Soon as you can put out a movie that does that, then your opinions on how good or bad it is will actually be relevant.

Source for monetary quote: http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/untitled-star-trek-sequel-2012

Also. I grew up on Shatner/Nimoy Trek. When I first saw TNG advertised I was so hyped. then, first episode....the ending. Picard(any card) says....."We surrender." The whole series went downhill from there. The spinoffs, DS9? Voyager? Enterprise? Trash. Tripe. I treat them like Highlander 2.

The JJ movies? Decent. I'm more willing to accept them as canon than TNG, Voyager, DS9 AND Enterprise.

uhm... it was Q he was surrendering to, and it was so the civilians on his ship could escape. As for TNG, it didn't really hit its stride until its third season, then it just got better and better.

DS9 was a bit of a departure, but you still had some great material. Find an episode called "Duet", and I think you'll find (what one could call) Trek purity in that one. And it was nice to get some serious focus on the Klingons, for the 4th - 6th seasons (something even TOS didn't do too much of).

Voyager... well... by then, Rick Berman had full control, and by then, it ceased to be Gene's baby. Same goes for Enterprise.

Still, I say give TNG another try, at least from Season 3 - on. And some of DS9 has some merit as well, for an oldschool Trekkie.
    Paid STO subscriber since December 2010, and DJ for mmo-radio
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Chekov shown as a teeny bopper with a stupid accent
    Sulu is the wrong nationality and shown as a complete moron
    Scotty treated as comic relief and wrong accent
    kirk is brutal sexist JERK with Iq of a cheese sandwich
    Spock is muirderous sex maniac who is sexually harrassing a student
    Uhura is shown as a TRIBBLE
    mc coy is shown as incompetent , negligent and criminal
    pike is shown as insane

they kill billions of people for no reason
    play fast and loose with canon
    mount rapid fire cannons on enterprise

engineering is a pumping station

As much as this bothers me, I have to +1 this. However, I disagree with Scotty.
    The actor/ movie director(in his own right..and good at it.) (forget his name for now, late here)loved the character as a child, and tried to bring justice to the role..... he gets a pass, in my opinion.He was a die hard Trek fan IRL, and tried to bring Dohann,s Character back, RESPECTFULLY.Other than that, JJ Trek is a fat steaming dump on the franchise,...with camera flare.AS much as I hate the JJ movies, the TNG movies were no better, loved the TV show, but the films lacked substance;
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,429 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Let's talk about magic insta-planet device that can also somehow revive dead people even though it was stated (by the soon to be revived, no less), that it destroys any organic matter that came before.
    Actually, Spock's corpse was introduced after the Genesis reaction was supposed to be over. However, due to David's use of certain proscribed technologies, it proved to be - ah - rather less stable than had been expected (there was a scene in the novelization in which David and Saavik paid a visit to Regula first, to visit his cave, and found the life there had gone insane, overgrowing the space available and evolving at downright bacterial rates). It turned microbes on the surface of the giant sunglasses case Spock was buried in into something that looked like gummi trilobites, and it revived his body (albeit without a mind inside its brain - that's where the whole katra thing comes in).

I'll grant that the functioning of the Genesis Device bordered on magic...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is because of people like JJ, Bermon and Braga no one can tell what Star Trek is anymore.

I don't beleilve Romulas went supernova.

I would of put the 2 best in charge which is william Shatner and Len. Nimoy they are the best to run the franchise.They know it the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,429 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, Romulus did not go supernova. It's a planet.

Its star Eisn didn't go nova or supernova, either.

A star called Hobus, several lightyears away, went supernova, an event nobody thought much of because it was too far away. Except that somehow, its wavefront began traveling through subspace, wiping out several star systems on its way into the Romulus system. Spock tried to stop it while Eisn still burned, but failed; he did manage to stop it before it destroyed any more of the galaxy.

And how did a star go supernova unexpectedly, and propagate through subspace at warp speeds? That's revealed as you play STO...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know but it didn't bet blown away the same for remus as all Romulans as still living on romulas and remans living on remus.

That is what i meant though the sun didn't go supernova.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And I don't remember the episode's name, but there was the time Spock mind melded with Kirk to make him forget his broken heart.

The Paradise Syndrome and his name........ Kirok!!!!! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • keiichi2032keiichi2032 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    It is because of people like JJ, Bermon and Braga no one can tell what Star Trek is anymore.

I don't beleilve Romulas went supernova.

I would of put the 2 best in charge which is william Shatner and Len. Nimoy they are the best to run the franchise.They know it the best.

I would submit that JJ is doing a better job than Berman and Braga. As for Shatner... yeah, we all saw how his directorial debut went... but Paramount tried to sabotage that a bit, so not fully his fault.

Someone mentions this later, Romulans did not go Supernova (as a planet cannot do that), it was the star Hobus. Though they don't explain this in the movie, the device that triggerd the Nova was a combination of Trilithium (generations) and Genesis Device (Wrath of Khan)... so when you mix the devastating reactions of both together, you get one big bad-TRIBBLE shockwave of devastating doom.

I think the events surrounding this were built off of a novelization called Genesis Wave. I have not read the book, but I will give it a try, to see if it shares the same events timeline or if its completely different. I don't read much, but if I get my hands on it, I'll let you know if its any good.
    age03 wrote: »
    I know but it didn't bet blown away the same for remus as all Romulans as still living on romulas and remans living on remus.

That is what i meant though the sun didn't go supernova.

... nobody is living on either planet. Rihannsu (Romulus) is gone, and the Romulans are trying to make a new home on Mol'Rihan (New Romulus - I think I got the names right), per the events of STO. While the events of Romulus' destruction only exist in a comic book form, it is officially recognized as canon by CBS and Paramount.
    daan2006 wrote: »
    The Paradise Syndrome and his name........ Kirok!!!!! :D

LOL Yes, the thing we all yell whenever we play "Cold Storage" (Breen mission 5)
    Paid STO subscriber since December 2010, and DJ for mmo-radio