test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CBS vs Cryptic

spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
So, I read the forums and from what I hear its CBS that has all the power to say yes or no. So then my question is this. speculate that the romulan faction is going to be immensly popular and that people is going to scream for more stuff (already happening).

CBS keep saying no, then what plans may Cryptic have for Romulans? Will they simply be just a weak branch out of the game? If CBS keeps saying no and no and no, then what possible future could Romulans have as far as shipyard goes?

Speculate :)
Post edited by spearhawk2013 on

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it makes money, why not?
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The decision on the Romulans not being a full separate faction is wholly on Cryptic. They made the conscience choice to make the Romulans because they did not want to make PvP worse. If they player base increases on all sides (particularly with Romulans and Klingons), then things could change.

The only thing Cryptic had to pass through CBS was the story of what they wanted to do with the Romulans in order to add them. If I recall, CBS loved the idea once they seen the storyboard.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there any evidence this is due to any CBS decision?
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Is there any evidence this is due to any CBS decision?

Quite the opposite. Gecko has on at least one occasion stated it was Cryptics decision as it enables easier game design.

Noting to do with CBS at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Quite the opposite. Gecko has on at least one occasion stated it was Cryptics decision as it enables easier game design.

Noting to do with CBS at all.

Thanks.
    So this thread is completely pointless then?
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    The decision on the Romulans not being a full separate faction is wholly on Cryptic. They mad the conscience choice to make the Romulans because they did not want to make PvP worse. If they player base increases on all sides (particularly with Romulans and Klingons), then things could change.

This is remarkably EASY to do if the devs give the KDF and Romulans more UNIQUE ships with UNIQUE abilities that FED players don't have access to in the game.

Right now Cryptic is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by offering FED players just about whatever they want and the widest variety of ships ... and then saying, "the majority of players play as FED."

Give players obvious reasons (and by "reasons" I mean ADVANTAGES) to picking KDF, ROM, or FED. Of course players are mostly flocking to the FED side ... more ships (and more customization options for each ship so your ship can be unique), access to EVERY weapon type, access to virtually ANY ability (even cloak if you pick the right FED ship), lots of cool planets and starbases to visit, etc.

Let's make certain energy weapons EXCLUSIVE to each faction -- make anti-proton and maybe polaron weapons universal as well as the mixed weapon types from lock boxes but make phasers exclusive to FED, disruptors exclusive to KDF and plasma exclusive to ROM.

I know that will upset a lot of players at first, even me since I currently have both FED and KDF toons that fly ships with plasma energy weapons, but it would help establish reasons why you might want to play FED, KDF or ROM.

Add even more customization options to KDF and ROM fleetyards so players feel like they are flying unique ships ... it's lame than being in game and playing next to another player (or players) who uses the EXACT same ship that you are flying.

Give KDF and ROM players some cool "destination" planets that other factions cannot visit (even if they have diplomatic immunity). Maybe the KDF get a planet of awesome ground combat training where level-appropriate ground equipment drops for the winners of each training session and there are "recovery zone" of Orion steam baths where Orion women and men cater to your "recovery needs." Maybe the Romulans get a secret base hidden beneath the surface of a planet where they can spy on the FED and KDF and launch espionage missions to get equipment, prisoners, and maybe even espionage missions to "turn" FED or KDF BOffs and DOffs for use on ROM ships.

Obviously, Cryptic doesn't have to follow my specific suggestions but I do think that we're always going to have an unbalanced game with more FED players until KDF and ROM players have specific advantage or more unique experiences that FED players don't get.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree about Cryptic's "chicken and egg" problem.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is remarkably EASY to do if the devs give the KDF and Romulans more UNIQUE ships with UNIQUE abilities that FED players don't have access to in the game.

Right now Cryptic is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by offering FED players just about whatever they want and the widest variety of ships ... and then saying, "the majority of players play as FED."

Give players obvious reasons (and by "reasons" I mean ADVANTAGES) to picking KDF, ROM, or FED. Of course players are mostly flocking to the FED side ... more ships (and more customization options for each ship so your ship can be unique), access to EVERY weapon type, access to virtually ANY ability (even cloak if you pick the right FED ship), lots of cool planets and starbases to visit, etc.

Let's make certain energy weapons EXCLUSIVE to each faction -- make anti-proton and maybe polaron weapons universal as well as the mixed weapon types from lock boxes but make phasers exclusive to FED, disruptors exclusive to KDF and plasma exclusive to ROM.

I know that will upset a lot of players at first, even me since I currently have both FED and KDF toons that fly ships with plasma energy weapons, but it would help establish reasons why you might want to play FED, KDF or ROM.

Add even more customization options to KDF and ROM fleetyards so players feel like they are flying unique ships ... it's lame than being in game and playing next to another player (or players) who uses the EXACT same ship that you are flying.

Give KDF and ROM players some cool "destination" planets that other factions cannot visit (even if they have diplomatic immunity). Maybe the KDF get a planet of awesome ground combat training where level-appropriate ground equipment drops for the winners of each training session and there are "recovery zone" of Orion steam baths where Orion women and men cater to your "recovery needs." Maybe the Romulans get a secret base hidden beneath the surface of a planet where they can spy on the FED and KDF and launch espionage missions to get equipment, prisoners, and maybe even espionage missions to "turn" FED or KDF BOffs and DOffs for use on ROM ships.

Obviously, Cryptic doesn't have to follow my specific suggestions but I do think that we're always going to have an unbalanced game with more FED players until KDF and ROM players have specific advantage or more unique experiences that FED players don't get.

Believe me, in MMO's, taking content away NEVER ends well.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks.

No more so than every other thread on these forums. :D
    <3
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CBS saying NO? what are you smoking?

CBS did not say no to the Galaxy-X
    CBS did not say no to the alien LockBox Ship Invasion above ESD
    CBS did not say no to everyone getting a free Breen Ship
    CBS did not say no to 29th century vessels that clearly break the Primary Temporal Directive...
    CBS did not say no to Romulan Warbirds hovering over ESD and Qo'nos in masses very soon.

CBS may say no to certain actor likenesses or to certain Ships/Species where legal stuff is iffy, but i very much doubt that they even CAN say no to anything the license included, because Cryptic PAID for the whole Themepark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    No more so than every other thread on these forums. :D

Nah, there are actually some productive discussion going on.
    There's little chance to get one going based on...nothing except a hinted at false information.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont really understand what the OP is asking here.

Yes CBS own the property and yes they can veto things if they dont like it (i guess they can veto the entire faction if they dont want romulans, but clearly the have not done this.)

game decisions are made by cryptic though. if the romulans are hugely popular, then they will add more ships and items. if they are not that popular then they probably wont. CBS wont have any say in that. all they will do is look over the new stuff to make sure they are happy with it.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would CBS say no? They let J.J. Abrams completely change the history and lore of Star Trek and create an entirely new universe and it seems they have pretty much given Cryptic free reign to do what they want as well. At this point it seems nothing more than a formality to get them to rubber stamp it.
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Believe me, in MMO's, taking content away NEVER ends well.
    Some players will leave, but I guess enough players simply don't care.
    On my KDF I only use Disruptors, tried anti-proton once, but it just didn't give me the result that I want... My dust covered and most deleted Feds all were Phaser only, I even tried disruptors here once, but it also seemed to me that I was doing less damage in combination that it looks stupid seeing a green beams shoot from a Galaxy Class cruiser.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Hmm, maybe. Now, I don't think what you're suggesting will have anything remotely like the impact you're thinking of, long term or short, but I wouldn't hate it if they tried.

In fact, I rather look forward to the "Phasers are OP, Cryptic hates Klingons/Disruptors are OP, Cryptic hates the Federation." complaints.
  • Options
    veotaxveotax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skurf wrote: »
    Why would CBS say no? They let J.J. Abrams completely change the history and lore of Star Trek and create an entirely new universe and it seems they have pretty much given Cryptic free reign to do what they want as well. At this point it seems nothing more than a formality to get them to rubber stamp it.

Paramount owns the Abrams movies, not CBS. CBS and Paramount did work together to link the two properties though, how the destruction of Romulus leads to the creation of the Abrams timeline.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just figured it out. The Mirror Universe is not the one we are familiar with from the TV shows, it is the JJ Universe. Due to their version of Q called JJ, the universe became a much darker place where without the Vulcans to balance out the Human's emotions, the Terran Empire was formed.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,191 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    I just figured it out. The Mirror Universe is not the one we are familiar with from the TV shows, it is the JJ Universe. Due to their version of Q called JJ, the universe became a much darker place where without the Vulcans to balance out the Human's emotions, the Terran Empire was formed.

Hate to break it to you but... the Terran Empire existed BEFORE the Narada destroyed the USS Kelvin, which created the alternate timeline.
    There was a 2 part episode in Enterprise that was set in the Mirror Universe, involving a loose thread from TOS, the USS Defiant. Therefor... the AR created by the Narada can not be connected to the Mirror Universe as you have suggested, as the Federation had already been established. Also... there are still Vulcans around, just not as common after the loss of their homeworld.

And before anyone chews me out... the point of divergence was when the Kelvin was attacked, which was in 2233. Therefor events that happened BEFORE Stardate 2233.04 proceeded as they did in the Prime Universe, which is still very much alive. If the Mirror Universe can exist alongside the Prime Universe... why can't this new one exist as well?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks.

Much like 99% of the threads in STO Discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont really understand what the OP is asking here.

He wants to know why Cryptic bothers trying to make more Trek stuff when CBS keeps saying no to more Trek stuff.

Which they do. Every new idea I see someone toss up on these forums, CBS has kind of said no to at one point or another.

It's Perfect World that's kept this ship afloat this long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but... the Terran Empire existed BEFORE the Narada destroyed the USS Kelvin, which created the alternate timeline.

Yeah, that's not really a big deal. An event in the future can happen that goes back in time and creates the Mirror Universe. From any alternate timeline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a 2 part episode in Enterprise that was set in the Mirror Universe, involving a loose thread from TOS, the USS Defiant. Therefor... the AR created by the Narada can not be connected to the Mirror Universe as you have suggested, as the Federation had already been established. Also... there are still Vulcans around, just not as common after the loss of their homeworld.

So you are saying that a group of people that had to steal the plans for the Defiant 30 years ago are able to make ships that are just as good as our own except they are different some how? Sorry I just don't buy it. The Mirror Universe from the TV shows being completely different from the Mirror Universe in the game with our Mirror Universe being the JJ Universe makes more sense. Of course, there would be two different Mirror Universe. The story missions with O'Brien would be from the Mirror Universe from the TV series while the MU ships from lockboxes are from the JJ universe.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He wants to know why Cryptic bothers trying to make more Trek stuff when CBS keeps saying no to more Trek stuff.

Which they do. Every new idea I see someone toss up on these forums, CBS has kind of said no to at one point or another.

What are we talking about here? CBS saying 'no' to 'more Trek stuff' you mean not making more series?
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, I read the forums and from what I hear its CBS that has all the power to say yes or no. So then my question is this. speculate that the romulan faction is going to be immensly popular and that people is going to scream for more stuff (already happening).

CBS keep saying no, then what plans may Cryptic have for Romulans? Will they simply be just a weak branch out of the game? If CBS keeps saying no and no and no, then what possible future could Romulans have as far as shipyard goes?

Speculate :)

Just to start the stage for this thread. (All according to Cryptic). Early on CBS was very hands on in the development of STO. Cryptic has to work justify a lot of what they were planning on doing. But today, CBS trusts Cryptic with Star Trek. CBS will get a outlines and scripts of what Cryptic is planning on doing. But CBS rarely speaks up about anything. They have rejected certain things like having the Enterprise J in the game and player androids. But Cryptic pretty much has a freehand in what they want to do.
  • Options
    shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    What are we talking about here? CBS saying 'no' to 'more Trek stuff' you mean not making more series?

the one your replying to is but hurt they will not let him have a T5 connie or a JJ connie
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every thread must be about asking for JJ stuff to be added to the game, or telling your opinion of JJ stuff to people who don't care.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every thread must be about asking for JJ stuff to be added to the game, or telling your opinion of JJ stuff to people who don't care.

when ate people gonna get it through there skulls JJ stuff has nothing to do with CBS crytic DOES NOT HAVE A LICENSE FOR THAT STUFF FFS I swear every five seconds someone asks for the JJ TRIBBLE and never reads a thing put on these boards ugggggg
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2013

And before anyone chews me out... the point of divergence was when the Kelvin was attacked, which was in 2233. Therefor events that happened BEFORE Stardate 2233.04 proceeded as they did in the Prime Universe, which is still very much alive. If the Mirror Universe can exist alongside the Prime Universe... why can't this new one exist as well?

The original point where the divergence occurs goes back much, much farther. When Spock & the Narada are pulled through the wormhole, the Narada lost some of it's crew to escape pods.

Those pods where scattered throughout time, with at least 2 arriving on Earth in 800 and 200 BC.

As part of the original viral marketing campaign, 'devils' were seen as rock paintings or as a monolithic carving on an English hillside clearly representing a romulan. Perhaps the ancestors of those crashed miners may have played a role in origins of Rome itself.

The timeline was significantly altered. For those who have seen the movie - not a major spoiler - Praxis has already blown up and Quo'nos is suffering the effects of a nuclear winter as much as 100 years earlier than the Prime universe.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seriously, every new idea is turned down by cbs? i dont know how you could possibly know that as we rarely get told what cbs thinks of things, but do you care to back that up with a list of things you know CBS had said no to?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

From an in-universe explanation, according to one of the novels it seems the interdimensional barrier between the Prime and Mirror universe is rather weak so going from one to the other is comparatively easy.
    You can even do it with a deliberately rigged transporter.

And no, the point of divergence must be far earlier.
    The Kelving has rotating photon torpedo turrets

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:USS_Kelvin_photon_torpedo_launchers.jpg

and is armed with Phasers even though in the Prime universe, the 2250's show Starfleet using lasers.
    Also, as we've seen in the recent video game, the Gorn look completely different.
    Not just a more modern or updated look but completely different.

http://www.trekmate.org.uk/gorn-characters-in-the-new-star-trek-game/
    I wouldn't have recognized them as Gorn without the title of the article.
    How is the appearance of the Narada supposed to have managed such radical changes in the Gorn genome?