What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS vs Cryptic

2»

Comments

• shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    How is the appearance of the Narada supposed to have managed such radical changes in the Gorn genome?

The Gorn realized that they were not suited to survive in the violent new galaxy, so their bioengineers worked to remove the "THEY WERE JUST PEOPLE IN STUPID RUBBER SUITS IN THE ORIGINAL" gene that was totally holding them back from getting any screentime.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Gorn realized that they were not suited to survive in the violent new galaxy, so their bioengineers worked to remove the "THEY WERE JUST PEOPLE IN STUPID RUBBER SUITS IN THE ORIGINAL" gene that was totally holding them back from getting any screentime.

Did you read my entire post?
    Did you read the part about updating the look without completly f**king it up?
    Both "Enterprise" and STO managed to show an updated look without turning them into the Lizard from Spiderman.
    edited May 2013
    Both "Enterprise" and STO managed to show an updated look without turning them into the Lizard from Spiderman.

The one in Enterprise doesn't look like the one in TOS. The ones in STO doesn't really look like either one.

If you want an "explanation" beyond it just being fictional and that you should stop nitpicking it, the STO book says there are many different Gorn races that all look different.
    edited May 2013
    The one in Enterprise doesn't look like the one in TOS. The ones in STO doesn't really look like either one.

If you want an "explanation" beyond it just being fictional and that you should stop nitpicking it, the STO book says there are many different Gorn races that all look different.

But you can still instantly recognize them.
    You don't need a sign next to them that says "this looks like a velociraptor, but it's supposed to be a Gorn".:P

And an important point from that novel (I think you are referring the baseball players) is that even though they look different you can instantly see they are Gorn.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And no, the point of divergence must be far earlier.
    The Kelving has rotating photon torpedo turrets

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:USS_Kelvin_photon_torpedo_launchers.jpg

and is armed with Phasers even though in the Prime universe, the 2250's show Starfleet using lasers.

Enterprise pretty much retconned the lasers in Starfleet thing with its plasma weapons followed by Phase Pistols and Phase Cannons. Though, since Enterprise was created by another case of temporal tampering I'm not sure how much of an argument that is.
  • sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone is so busy complaining, they are completely missing the point as to why the playable Romulans are siding with either the Klinks or the Feds. Romulus is gone, there has been a TON of infighting between the staid old Imperial guys and the Republic guys who want to change the course of the Romulans as a people. There aren't many Romulans left, nevermind who would actually be able to command a starship competently. Their probably down to 10% of the original population.

So asking for a separate faction is like asking a post nuclear holocaust NYC to band together and take on the rest of the planet. It's foolish, wasteful and, ultimately, futile. The Romulans, no matter how cool they are, should be in a survival of the species mode. Not trying to take over the galaxy.
    edited May 2013
    sador wrote: »
    Everyone is so busy complaining, they are completely missing the point as to why the playable Romulans are siding with either the Klinks or the Feds. Romulus is gone, there has been a TON of infighting between the staid old Imperial guys and the Republic guys who want to change the course of the Romulans as a people. There aren't many Romulans left, nevermind who would actually be able to command a starship competently. Their probably down to 10% of the original population.

So asking for a separate faction is like asking a post nuclear holocaust NYC to band together and take on the rest of the planet. It's foolish, wasteful and, ultimately, futile. The Romulans, no matter how cool they are, should be in a survival of the species mode. Not trying to take over the galaxy.

Except it makes even less sense because those 10% of Romulans that are left are also fighting each other /for/ the Klingons and the Federation. It's even pointed out in the storyline when you have to fight another Romulan captain who's sided with the Klingons or vice versa. So they're killing each other and lowering the population even more.
    edited May 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Except it makes even less sense because those 10% of Romulans that are left are also fighting each other /for/ the Klingons and the Federation. It's even pointed out in the storyline when you have to fight another Romulan captain who's sided with the Klingons or vice versa. So they're killing each other and lowering the population even more.

But you don't actually kill each other. You find the Tal Shiar agents who's framed you for terrorism and you work together to bring them down.
  • sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Romulan leadership realizes that a Survival Situation is no excuse to let Civilization collapse and let people run around willy nilly doing stuff that's 'bad'.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, every new idea is turned down by cbs? i dont know how you could possibly know that as we rarely get told what cbs thinks of things, but do you care to back that up with a list of things you know CBS had said no to?

I follow JVC's twitter feed. Doesn't everyone else who cares about this game's future and its development?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I follow JVC's twitter feed. Doesn't everyone else who cares about this game's future and its development?

I do. he is pissed off at us a lot.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
    edited May 2013

I don't, because I don't really care about a T5 Constitution or Twitter.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No, I dont. I suspect neither do hundreds of thousands of players who care about the game.

Now, can you answer my question or not? Can you list these ideas that people are suggesting that they are rejecting? I'm curious to know what they are. If there are so many then it should be quite easy.
  • rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CBS Yay and Nay Powers lie primarily on what i.p. specific type stuff like T5 Connie or the likes can and can't be done.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now that CBS/Paramount have called Qo'noS, Kronos... Shall it be so in the game? Because now I'm just confused. Qo'noS is pronounced Chronos/Kronos, but it's spelt like I've spelt it as it is in the game as well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
    edited May 2013
    Now that CBS/Paramount have called Qo'noS, Kronos... Shall it be so in the game? Because now I'm just confused. Qo'noS is pronounced Chronos/Kronos, but it's spelt like I've spelt it as it is in the game as well...

It has had a tons of different names over the years.
    It was even called "Kling" in TNG once...and never again because they realized how incredibly dumb that sounds.
    The German city of "Koeln" is called "Cologne" in the English language, "Aachen" is called "Aix-la-Chapelle" in French.
    Qo'noS is what it's called in Klingon when written with roman letters.
    "Kronos" is probably just an anglicised version.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Its a bit tricky. Now it has been called Kronos in the past before someone bothered to map out the whole klingon language.

Qo'noS is technically how its spelt in the klingon language and even though we all tend use that spelling, it does not mean we would use their spelling when writing it down. K-r-o-n-o-s is how we would spelt it based on how it sounds to us. Its kind of like New Romulus. Its Romulan name is Mol'rihan but we call it New Romulus because that is what its called to us.

England for example is spelt as such, but that does not mean every language uses that spelling. In many ways Kronos is probably the correct spelling in context of an English speaking film. If it was dubbed into Klingon (as a pretend example) then they would have to use Qo'noS. Then of course true klingon does not use our alphabet so it would end up being a bunch of symbols if properly translated. As I said, its tricky.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    England for example is spelt as such, but that does not mean every language uses that spelling.

Yup. The Japanese used to try to assign kanji (Chinese idiograms) to every foreign country or concept. I'm going to attempt to use Japanese here and the forum's probably going to barf on it, but I'll give it a shot. England was called eikoku (英国). The English language was called eigo (英語). England basically got its own kanji (英), to which the ones for "country" and "language" were appended. This made sense to the up-til-then xenophobic Japanese. They soon gave up on this, and foreign loan words were simply written out in phonetic Japanese (katakana). On the flip side of this, we call their country "Japan", but they call it "Nihon" or "Nippon". We got the name Japan because that's what the Chinese were calling it for whatever reason when we first heard of Japan, through the Chinese, by way of Marco Polo.

So, while I was mildly annoyed that they didn't throw the fanboys a bone and spell it in Klingon, I can't really argue with it from an accessibility standpoint. Both spellings are technically correct, just one is fully Anglicized while the other is simply romanized.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now, can you answer my question or not?

I did answer your question. You should probably follow JVC on twitter as well to get a clearer picture of what CBS is saying. Since he's the one saying it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We got the name Japan because that's what the Chinese were calling it for whatever reason when we first heard of Japan, through the Chinese, by way of Marco Polo.

It was called Chipingu, IIRC. It meant something like East Islands or The Place the sun Rises From or something along those lines. Asian history classes were a long time ago.

Also, they just call England "Igirisu" now.
    <3
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    True, the word eikoku has fallen out of use, but eigo is the standard word for the language. Igirisu is arguably a worse word, since it sounds neither like a native Japanese word, nor anything like "England". It probably should've been "Ingirishu", but people got lazy with it.

Never heard the actual Chinese word Japan was derived from. One can see how a European ear would bastardize that into "Japan". The kanji for nihon mean "Sun's origin", so chipingu might have been a reading for those characters in one Chinese dialect or another at the time Polo showed up. I know zero Chinese though, so can only speculate.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg