Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #17

Comments

• Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    I've been wondering if it possible to replace a Singularity core with a standard warp core?

I'm not interested in the Singularity abilities, since I disapprove of Rage mechanics.

So, if I wanted to remove the Singularity ability completely, would it possible to use a standard warp core instead of a Singularity core?

Or are Romulan ships restricted to only using Singularity cores and are not permitted to equip standard warp cores?

simply dont load the buttons and/or never use them.

You may have the wrong idea about the singularities, They are mostly just BO skills that you get without having to have a BO trained in the skill with slight tweaks. IMO its simply boils down to free phototic shockwave, EPtW, photonic fleet and then a jump which one of the already existing console skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    I've been wondering if it possible to replace a Singularity core with a standard warp core?

I'm not interested in the Singularity abilities, since I disapprove of Rage mechanics.

So, if I wanted to remove the Singularity ability completely, would it possible to use a standard warp core instead of a Singularity core?

Or are Romulan ships restricted to only using Singularity cores and are not permitted to equip standard warp cores?

I do believe you could continue to use your mk 0 core. No fun will happen. Don' t understand why you'd run a mk0 on an otherwise mkxii ship, though.
    /Floozy
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rush105 wrote: »
    wow so there going to give out unique singularity cores for fed and kdf so i have to ask is there anything special or unique about playiing a romulan if cryptic gives fed and kdf romulan singularity abillitys then whats the pont of even playing a romulan i wanted to play a romulan so bad now im starting to wonder if they have anything that fed and kdf dont have i mean we give away our wepens and other things to kdf and fed the only thing we have is our cloaking advantage hey fans why dont u ask cryptic to give u that too break the treety and give u everything then romulans can all go to one planet and the kdf and fed can destroy that planet from orbit and romulans will be no more i thought romulans were going to be unique and diffrent from the other factions and i was cool with haveing an alliance but it seems that everything cool about romulans just got abzorbed in to fed and kdf plus we have a decrease to our base power how is there even balance anymore the new warp cores give fed and kdf more power then ever how can we even go up against therm we r so weak and underpowered now please any other romulan fans that think im right help suport me on this one or romulans will not have a chance to even fight back!

Where does it say Fed or KDF can use singularity cores?
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Under this new engine/core concept, how will this be retroactively implemented on lockbox ships, C-store ships and Fleet ships (other than just slapping on a base-level version, which may be the only recourse)?

Of course, what kind will be made available thru mission rewards (either first time or replay)?
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rush105 wrote: »
    wow so there going to give out unique singularity cores for fed and kdf so i have to ask is there anything special or unique about playiing a romulan if cryptic gives fed and kdf romulan singularity abillitys then whats the pont of even playing a romulan i wanted to play a romulan so bad now im starting to wonder if they have anything that fed and kdf dont have i mean we give away our wepens and other things to kdf and fed the only thing we have is our cloaking advantage hey fans why dont u ask cryptic to give u that too break the treety and give u everything then romulans can all go to one planet and the kdf and fed can destroy that planet from orbit and romulans will be no more i thought romulans were going to be unique and diffrent from the other factions and i was cool with haveing an alliance but it seems that everything cool about romulans just got abzorbed in to fed and kdf plus we have a decrease to our base power how is there even balance anymore the new warp cores give fed and kdf more power then ever how can we even go up against therm we r so weak and underpowered now please any other romulan fans that think im right help suport me on this one or romulans will not have a chance to even fight back!

When you post a half wall of text, could you at least use some form of punctuation, and break it up a bit?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question:
    If
    the KHG set doesn't have a warp speed boost and
    the MACO set has a warp speed boost and
    The new warp mechanic will allow both ships to travel at the same speed does that mean that
    The MACO gets a "nerf"?

Don't mind me. I ask because I always thought it was unfair that the feds get a warp speed boost and the KDF don't with their perspective sets.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    Question:
    If
    the KHG set doesn't have a warp speed boost and
    the MACO set has a warp speed boost and
    The new warp mechanic will allow both ships to travel at the same speed does that mean that
    The MACO gets a "nerf"?

Don't mind me. I ask because I always thought it was unfair that the feds get a warp speed boost and the KDF don't with their perspective sets.

The way it worked on Tribble when I tested it a while ago is the warp speed from the Borg Engine an the MACO are independent of the Warp Core in use.

I could still fly around with no warp core if I had either of them equipped [for instance].

I did not have a warp core that provided the same base speed as either Borg or MACO engines though [at least I don't think I did], so I wasn't able to see how they would interact if the warp core provided a greater speed than the engine.

In any event, it wouldn't so much be a nerf as just an addition of another way to achieve that perk.
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what does this mean for MACO/Adapted KHG, fleet and Borg engines that have a sector space speed boost and Omega that has a transwarp cooldown bonus?

I was under the impression, part of the reason for making warp cores was to shunt those bonuses off the engines so we don't need a seperate set of traveling gear.

On a side note, maybe the next lockbox ship or two should use a singularoty core (and unique singularity powers, not just copies of the rommulan stuff)
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We decided to re-scale Warp Speed, bringing down the visual display of speed to honor the canonical speed limit of Warp 10, while increasing the speed at which players are actually moving. This means captains moving at Warp 10 will now reach their destinations more quickly than they could before.

You're STILL doing it wrong.

Warp 9.999 is the canonical Maximum Warp in the TNG era recalculated warp factor. Once you hit Warp 10...you turn into a lizard *cough cough* Tom Paris.

In normal warp travel, Warp 10 was the action of achieving infinite velocity, thereby occupying all points in space simultaneously.

Now between TNG proper and "All Good Things" it is possible another recalc was done on the warp travel matrix, however, that timeline never came to pass, therefore it's not canon, and neither DS9 nor VOY provided canonical proof of a recalc either.

Warp 9.999 is maximum warp. If you are going to fix it from being wrong at launch, at least fix it right!

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what does this mean for MACO/Adapted KHG, fleet and Borg engines that have a sector space speed boost and Omega that has a transwarp cooldown bonus?

I was under the impression, part of the reason for making warp cores was to shunt those bonuses off the engines so we don't need a seperate set of traveling gear.

that was my question on like page 1 or 2.

Its not really clear now.

Or if the engine or warp core is what makes you travel faster.

I think the Driver Coil skill would also be something we need info on. STOWiki has a long formula devoted to simply to that.

Then there is Raiding Party/Diplo Immunity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AdjudicatorHawk or Branflakes, can we get a list of possible warp engine modifiers and warp engine types with what each does in the blog post?

THIS explains maybe 50% of the possibilities. Would like to see a complete list.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    simply dont load the buttons and/or never use them.

You may have the wrong idea about the singularities, They are mostly just BO skills that you get without having to have a BO trained in the skill with slight tweaks. IMO its simply boils down to free phototic shockwave, EPtW, photonic fleet and then a jump which one of the already existing console skills.

It's not just the lame powers, singularity cores are 80% as effective as warp cores. Give or take; I don't know if Romulan power levels have been tweeked. Where Feds and KDF have 200 base power total, Romulans only have 160, which is a yawning difference - especially since singularity powers have to charge in combat and lose their charge out of combat, and especially especially for those of us completely uninterested in casting space-Mirror Image and space-Blink.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We decided to re-scale Warp Speed, bringing down the visual display of speed to honor the canonical speed limit of Warp 10, while increasing the speed at which players are actually moving. This means captains moving at Warp 10 will now reach their destinations more quickly than they could before.

Link: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" - Episode: "All Good Things"
    "Worf is now on the viewscreen of the USS Pasteur. Crusher and Worf exchange quick greetings, and then Crusher asks if he has had time to read their request. Worf reports however, that he is no longer a member of the Klingon High Council, and that he must refuse, for their own safety. If they had a ship with a cloak, it would have been safer, and criticizes Riker for not helping them, but Picard doesn't care. He needs to get to the Devron system. Picard then tells Worf that the Worf he remembered was more concerned with honor than regulations. But Picard remarks that this was a long time ago, and that perhaps Worf has changed. Worf gets outraged at this, and Worf reluctantly allows them to cross the border, provided that he comes with them. Picard accepts these terms. Beverly tells Picard, though, that if they run into any trouble, she is pulling them out. As soon as Worf is aboard, she sets course for the Devron system, warp 13. She allows Picard to give the order to engage, but as he does, he shifts back to the past. " ~ Act Six
    "Under attack, the USS Pasteur attempts to escape. Warp power is off-line, so they try to evade the attacks. The impulse drive is fluctuating, and shields are down to 30%. The Pasteur's weapons are no match for the Klingon ships, and La Forge can't get warp power. Shields are failing, and Crusher attempts to explain that they are on an errand of mercy. The Klingons don't listen, and Worf signals a surrender. As shields fail, a ship decloaks. It is the USS Enterprise-D (having not crashed in this timeline). Admiral Riker hails them, and offers to help with the Klingons. He takes out one ship, and draws the fire of the other. The Pasteur's warp core, however, has destabilized, and there is a breach in progress. Riker beams the Pasteur's crew aboard, and the Pasteur is destroyed. A furious Riker than scolds Worf for letting the Pasteur enter hostile territory, and putting their friends in jeopardy. Worf retaliates, saying that if Riker had helped them in the first place, none of this would have happened. Riker orders them out of range of the Pasteur, and then engages the Enterprise out of Klingon space. The cloak is down, so they engage at warp 13 back to Federation space. Picard is outraged, and demands that they stay, but Crusher administers a sedative to Picard." ~ Act Eight

USS Pasteur and the retrofit USS Enterprise-D were from the 24th century, and both ships had the ability to go up to warp 13. If the technology in "Star Trek" followed its natural course, the ships in the late 24th to 25th century would go up to warp 16 or 17.

Other words, canon dictates that a technological revolution occurred, so that ships could travel faster than warp ten.

Majority of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" occurred in the Milkyway Galaxy. Once ships get designed for traveling between galaxies, they would require speeds that exceed warp 25. ...and, then when they get built to travel across universes... Since known "Star Trek" canon stops in the 24th century, Cryptic will have to use an artistic license. 25th century warp speeds have not been defined.

Putting a warp factor ten limit on ships that predate Picard's Enterprise-D makes sense. Everything else that exceeds Picard's Enterprise-D should go faster than warp 13.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

On a side note, maybe the next lockbox ship or two should use a singularoty core (and unique singularity powers, not just copies of the rommulan stuff)

Existing Engine items which have a bonus to Sector Space moverate are remaining unchanged. We felt adding a new Borg-set Warp Core, for instance, would just limit the options of players using the current Borg set with regards to what Warp Core they want to equip. Instead of doing that, we're leaving existing items like the Borg Engines intact, but if we ever want to make such a bonus in the future, it would likely go on the Warp Core item of a hypothetical future set.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not just the lame powers, singularity cores are 80% as effective as warp cores. Give or take; I don't know if Romulan power levels have been tweeked. Where Feds and KDF have 200 base power total, Romulans only have 160, which is a yawning difference - especially since singularity powers have to charge in combat and lose their charge out of combat, and especially especially for those of us completely uninterested in casting space-Mirror Image and space-Blink.

I'll post you a comprehensive list tomorrow. We didn't want to give away the Singularity Core enhancements in the initial patch notes, which is why they were phrased only with examples rather than a full listing. :)
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Existing Engine items which have a bonus to Sector Space moverate are remaining unchanged. We felt adding a new Borg-set Warp Core, for instance, would just limit the options of players using the current Borg set with regards to what Warp Core they want to equip. Instead of doing that, we're leaving existing items like the Borg Engines intact, but if we ever want to make such a bonus in the future, it would likely go on the Warp Core item of a hypothetical future set.

From what I last saw on Tribble, having the special Engine (Borg or Fleet) overrides the Warp Core. I took out my default Warp Core and kept my Borg Engine on at one point and I was still moving at the same Transwarp factor as if I had the Warp Core slotted. Is this intended behavior? If so, it means Warp Cores are even worse for those with these special sets as Warp Cores will become overpriced but minimal improvements to current ships.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll post you a comprehensive list tomorrow. We didn't want to give away the Singularity Core enhancements in the initial patch notes, which is why they were phrased only with examples rather than a full listing. :)
    I'm hoping you miss quoted there. If so;
    Thank you muchly :)
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMFG with the stupid warp scale if you gone on tribble in the past few months you would see the scale dose not go higher than Warp 9.97 even though it says max is warp ten....anything 10 or high it goes into Transwarp scale.

example your MACO set will aplly and send you into trasnwarp 13 and Slipstream into 23

this is why i hate Trek fans at times, to nit picky on the stupid things like warp scale.

/rant
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Link: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" - Episode: "All Good Things"

USS Pasteur and the retrofit USS Enterprise-D were from the 24th century, and both ships had the ability to go up to warp 13. If the technology in "Star Trek" followed its natural course, the ships in the late 24th to 25th century would go up to warp 16 or 17.

Other words, canon dictates that a technological revolution occurred, so that ships could travel faster than warp ten.

Majority of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" occurred in the Milkyway Galaxy. Once ships get designed for traveling between galaxies, they would require speeds that exceed warp 25. ...and, then when they get built to travel across universes... Since known "Star Trek" canon stops in the 24th century, Cryptic will have to use an artistic license. 25th century warp speeds have not been defined.

Putting a warp factor ten limit on ships that predate Picard's Enterprise-D makes sense. Everything else that exceeds Picard's Enterprise-D should go faster than warp 13.

so you know this was all in picard's head thanks to Q, it was a test, and Q is known for his inventive stories and imagination. even picard went back to the beginning of life on earth with Q before Q acknowledges that picard has infact changed along with humanity. the galaxy x i could believe the same with the medical ship. but warp 13? i dont think so since Lt. Tom Paris attempted it and disappeared for a shortwhile while exploring everything nearby and at home, its impossible to break conventially anyway, besides ship hulls are not designed for extreme speeds above warp 10 limit anyway, it would have to be transwarp from that point onwards for conventional and more safer travel.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    linyive wrote: »

In TNG/Voyager/DS9/Enterprise and All Good Things two different Warp scales were used. In the TNG era (at least in the later episodes) nothing was able to fly at Warp 10 since that would mean being everywhere at the very same time. But since ships became faster and max speed was getting closer to Warp 10 a new scale was introduced simply for practical reasons. "Set a course, Warp 13" is just easier than saying "set a course, Warp 9.999998755"
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All we need is a stupid warp 9.9999999999 nein nein nein nein nein nein nein nein nein
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    dieutoutpuissantdieutoutpuissant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So um if it's a possible new set part and obtainable at high mark via the starbase system you've just added new vendor trash to the game. :P
  • Options
    dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Nice, less work for the wiki editors. ;)
    [...]In the future, in the months after Legacy of Romulus launches, warp cores will be obtainable by other methods as wel[...]

This is something that startles me. I can understand and agree that leaving fleet cores out of the game in the beginning else you accidently give the players a mary sue core. Might be even tied to an upcoming starbase holding (yay). All fine by me.

However.

I really would like to have more options for random cores from the start, the experimental upgrades just don't cut it (mk xi - bleh), and hoping for a lucky mk xii drop from a stf and/or the usual mk xii farmground who has a permutation that is actual useful.... I don't think so.

I realize your coworkers who have the experience to deal with doff assignments are slammed right now but pretty please with whipped cream on top, please find the time to add two assignment chains for both warp and singularity cores like childrens toys did for consoles.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • Options
    cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I wish they would increase the daily amount you can refine. 8,000 is pretty easy but very little when the highest end stuff cost 45,000+ dilithium

It often appears that the new generation wants everything yesterday. Rome STILL wasn't built in a day. It still surprises me about how much stuff 'can' be built in a day. So, in eBay parlance, if you want to "buy it now", you'll have to pay more for it.
    FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
    KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
    ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool:
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're STILL doing it wrong.

Warp 9.999 is the canonical Maximum Warp in the TNG era recalculated warp factor. Once you hit Warp 10...you turn into a lizard *cough cough* Tom Paris.

In normal warp travel, Warp 10 was the action of achieving infinite velocity, thereby occupying all points in space simultaneously.

Now between TNG proper and "All Good Things" it is possible another recalc was done on the warp travel matrix, however, that timeline never came to pass, therefore it's not canon, and neither DS9 nor VOY provided canonical proof of a recalc either.

Warp 9.999 is maximum warp. If you are going to fix it from being wrong at launch, at least fix it right!

Actually I believe in TNG they did reach Warp 10 with the help of the traveller in where no one has gone before. I may be wrong though
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I concur about the Dil refining limits.

I once did a marathon of STFs to get some omega marks.
    I was getting some of my BOFFs shiny new Omega MK12 shields.

When I finally finished my marathon, I'd discovered I'd gone 5k over my daily refining limit!

The cynic in me says the limit is a tactic to get us to buy more Dil from the exchange=more C-points=more monies for Cryptic.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That means a problem that this was supposed to solve (if what devs, notably Geko, have said in the past regarding wanting warp cores) has not actually been solved since everyone will still be using their borg engines for sector space traveling and have to swap to their fighting set when they begin a mission, stf, PvP, etc.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cores have piqued my interest, but I am not totally convinced it would mean more flexibility with ship configurations. It all relates to that nasty balance problem, all players will want to use a handful of cores that benefit the current cookie cutter ship configurations while all the others are forgotten about.

I dunno, maybe (or rather I hope) I'm completely wrong and all of them are viable. We'll see soon enough.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    The cores have piqued my interest, but I am not totally convinced it would mean more flexibility with ship configurations. It all relates to that nasty balance problem, all players will want to use a handful of cores that benefit the current cookie cutter ship configurations while all the others are forgotten about.

I dunno, maybe (or rather I hope) I'm completely wrong and all of them are viable. We'll see soon enough.

that is also in the back of my mind as well and the power to aux will probably be one of the best sellers for people who use tactical escorts on full weapons and aux settings to maximum effect. some builds are so extreme, just one type of warp core would be sufficient to completely unbalance the game with the right types of hardcore players. before long the rest will follow suit, contrary to the belief from the dev blog writer, it wont be thousands, it will only be a handful at best. it would of been better to add a disadvantage with some advantages to each core instead of them marked separately, that way you have to sacrifice one over the other.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    bastion132bastion132 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Will those who craft be able to make a Warp Core, are we going to see an Aegis Warp Core to go with the set?