test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• fierce82fierce82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been testing out the storyline and I am really liking the choices captains have between being good or evil. Its definitely something new in STO.

I love how the ships explode. The core at critical swallows the explosion and ship; crushing everything within a given distance.

Its really fun. The whole thing is well done. I am confident that all the feedback will help the devs make this a great update; one we can all look forward to!
  • foxyhellokittyfoxyhellokitty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am easily convinced and ridiculously bias okay? I wanted to play as a Romulan since I first got into STO and now I have my chance. I am hoping for more costumes for my character but at the moment, I am really excited about this!

Too bad there isn't an option for a playable, Assimilated Reman (unless I missed that somewhere!!!)
  • shadowdeity7shadowdeity7 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I can Captain a Scimitar, I would totally give this 2 thumbs up!!!

At the moment, it looks good. The UI isn't as attractive, however. I do like that BOs have more of a voice in this; both literally and in general. I think the more we can integrate our BOs, the better.
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's something that got brought up on the uniform thread about the tailor's UI which I think might be relevant to this thread..
    I agree that the undo button should be in there, it is just far too handy not to have.
    mattachine wrote: »
    Yes, for all that is holy, bring back the undo button!
    fyyarpryde wrote: »
    I also was looking around for the undo button after I changed all the colors by accident.

I couldn't agree more! I hate having to save my costume every single time I make a change because I can't just UNDO like I used to.
  • jymowardjymoward Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much so, that I was disappointed when I went back to Holodeck today.

I think the colors are much better than the monotone red for Klingon especially, but also the monotone blue for Federation.

I like the larger popups too.

But I don't like that the "help" talk doesn't turn off when you turn off the help popups, nor that it talks over the story elements.

I like that enemy targets are a standard color for all factions instead of varying yellows and orange for KDF, and red/blue for Fed.
  • rtiberiurtiberiu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    KDF Space Toolbar: the difference between active and disabled powers its too subtle.
    Minor "bugs": 1. The Tuffli Freighter in the Character Selection screen is too big, after scaling it to 0.75 of the current size it should fit in the screen.
    2. When running in the river bed on New Romulus i got completely submerged even if the water was not deep enough.
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I played the Fed intro, and I really like the look of the new UI. Clean, crisp and appropriately futuristic.

My only complaint is that the contact dialog box is a bit larger (blocks more of the screen) than I would prefer, and I couldn't find a way to resize it.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rtiberiu wrote: »
    KDF Space Toolbar: the difference between active and disabled powers its too subtle.
    Minor "bugs": 1. The Tuffli Freighter in the Character Selection screen is too big, after scaling it to 0.75 of the current size it should fit in the screen.
    2. When running in the river bed on New Romulus i got completely submerged even if the water was not deep enough.

1) Sadly, many of the larger ships are cropped in character select, at least for players with smaller screen sizes. (Try a D'Deridex. :P )

2) Your camera location may have been "submerged". Then everything looks like below the water surface.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those that didn't see the Devs response to those of us who wanted the ability to switch between both UIs, apparently there's a hard coding issue and it is therefore impossible to have both UIs available :(.

And yes. Undo button. Bring it back. Resurrect it. Make right, what once went wrong.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    • There are no places for trophies in the ready room/crew lounge on Romulan ships. This is Bad(TM)
    • There are no sprites or effects for the new Romulan plasma rifles and assault weapons
    • The beam-down panel shows both ground and space skills for BOffs. Showing the space skills is really not necessary when going to a ground mission
    • On Qo'onos shipyard, Gramash has an interact button below that of his name labelled "used spaceship salesman"
  • goldentulipgoldentulip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just came here to express my feeling toward this so very much annoying UI, please either keep the old one or at least add an option to do so.

.....hideous, hurting my eyes, ugly. :confused::confused:

EDIT
    captaind3 wrote: »
    For those that didn't see the Devs response to those of us who wanted the ability to switch between both UIs, apparently there's a hard coding issue and it is therefore impossible to have both UIs available :(.

UH..NOT GOOD...
    fss_overall.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I just came here to express my feeling toward this so very much annoying UI, please either keep the old one or at least add an option to do so.

.....hideous, hurting my eyes, ugly. :confused::confused:

EDIT

UH..NOT GOOD...

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I like the new UI, but as someone who utterly dislikes the old UI, if our positions were reversed I would certainly want the option to keep the one I liked.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cant repeat enough how every time I need to go to the tailor I cant stand seeing the "preset" uniforms I will never use and the floating heads on the side of the screen. The floating heads just need to go away if you do nothing else.

At the very least give us an option to turn off BASIC mode at the tailor since this is something some of us will never use.

You can HIDE the mission tracker in the HUD Screen. Great. But what I really want is a way to simply collapse it or hide it on the normal screen. I dont need it all the time and dont want to go thru the trouble of going into the HUD editor everytime I want to see it or hide it. Seems like there is already something in place with the DOFF system where we can Pin/Unpin a window.

Still no way to size many of the elements without scaling the entire UI. Like I could shrink the Team or target element without making my ship controls smaller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    And yes. Undo button. Bring it back. Resurrect it. Make right, what once went wrong.

One wonders WHY it was removed in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    While we are at it...

The entire Reptation screen needs a redo. Its a pain scrolling thru all the items trying to find somerthing. Click the XI instead of the XII because teh screen is a pain well tough, you have to research it. You cant preview any ship or ground items or store items because you are on the screen you need to compare to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattjcasemattjcase Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I loved the everything about the system. Keep it up.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After some testing this weekend, I have the following notes:

1) Overall the new UI is good. I really wish I could select different UIs for each of my (too many) toons. Having the UI style be account-based is bad.

2) New Tailor: I like that we can pick a full uniform, but I do not like the "floating heads" - Those are very distracting, and half the time didn't seem to work (at least not as I'd've thought).

The tool tag on the Advance Screen for the Lower Body's Randomize button says "Radomize all values of the Shirt" and the Reset button's tool tag for Lower Body says "Reset all values of Chest".

Finally, but most importantly, please bring back the undo button. I don't understand why that was taken away at all.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • universewandereruniversewanderer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't like how the ship can still be seen in the distance after the burst of light when you go to warp.
  • purplehewpurplehew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to say I find certain aspects of the new UI/HUD nice. I am somewhat visually impaired and it scales nicely....but it gets a little TOO big in some ways. which is just very annoying.

I don't think the changeable theme is a downside either - but the thin black text on colored tabs is annoying. Yes, it's different from the current HUD/UI but not in a good way.

Also, when I went to edit the HUD, there are WAY TOO MANY separate windows and lack of sizing options. It's actually nice to be able to move them anywhere you like, individually. But, so many are on top of each other, can't be resized, or and on be resized in means of height/length. That's really bugging me.

And the little pop up notice are great and handy, but also annoying and very intrusive. I think it should be spoken only with a little notifications bar on the side that you can click or activate to show the notice in print.
  • purplehewpurplehew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [can't figure out how to edit, too rushed and new to actual forums]

Also, I DO like the new UI particularly for appearance customization. But I personally would prefer if you switch from body to head or shirt to boots, etc. the view of the character should change accordingly in terms of zoom and focus.
    edited May 2013
    Maybe I am missing it but there appears to be no countdown for Slipstream Drive.

There is no way to tell if its ready other than hitting the button over and over
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    After some testing this weekend, I have the following notes:

1) Overall the new UI is good. I really wish I could select different UIs for each of my (too many) toons. Having the UI style be account-based is bad.

2) New Tailor: I like that we can pick a full uniform, but I do not like the "floating heads" - Those are very distracting, and half the time didn't seem to work (at least not as I'd've thought).

The tool tag on the Advance Screen for the Lower Body's Randomize button says "Radomize all values of the Shirt" and the Reset button's tool tag for Lower Body says "Reset all values of Chest".

Finally, but most importantly, please bring back the undo button. I don't understand why that was taken away at all.
    1, character dependent UI color scheme is something that we've been on them for weeks about, so you're not alone. Last time checked they were working on it. Fingers crossed. Why it wasn't thought about before implementation is beyond me however.

2, I don't think anyone likes the floating heads after a while.

And yes once more, bring back the undo.
    I don't like how the ship can still be seen in the distance after the burst of light when you go to warp.

That glitch has been there a while, and kind of weird me out. I have a bigger problem with my ship appearing in the middle of the screen before I warp in however.
  • morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having to go to the options menu every time you switch a character is an inconvenience but its not the end of the world.

The updated TNG scheme is looking pretty good too, very much like the LCARS on the Galaxy class bridges.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The text in the big communications windows is partially hidden when the ui is reduced in scale. The left most portion of the first letter on each line.

Also can we have it so that we can change the orientation of "Big Power Tray #2"? The tray would be a lot more convenient if we could stack it on Tray #1 or park it next to it.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The quantity slider when buying and selling needs a wider "hot" area. The new graphics look good, but all too often I end up dragging the whole window when I want to buy seven hyposprays. And clicking on the right part of the slider to instantly get the right quantity is just as tricky. At least add single-increment arrows to the panel, or make the slider track the same width as the button, like you have with the main map. Preferably both.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Shield Distribution animation on the Default romulan HUD is barely noticeable. It seems to flash slightly wider, while the KDf version had some color shift as well.
    edited May 2013
    The "new" mission window is too intrusive and now takes up the entire side of my screen.

I have always hated it and on live I have been forced to size it to its smallest possible size.

We need a way to hide it of collapse it without having to permantlly hide it via UI controls. I might want to see my mission objectives but not a list of every mission in my journal.

My suggestion simply make it a button that we click when we want to see it like inventory or make it pinnable/unpinnable like the Doff window.

Or simply add a button that collaspes it like they have in literally every other game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice you scaled down ships in the character select. Is it intended that only some (bigger ships) are scaled down, or is it still WIP?
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of ships on the character select screen, I have an issue.

I copied my main from Holodeck. Now I have a character on Tribble already, and her select screen is great.

But my copied character has no ship. Instead the feet and legs from my first officer are hanging above me where the ship should be. And if I go to change characters, then my First Officer takes the place of my Captain....with her also standing in her normal spot. Not that I mind seeing her twice, but it's not supposed to happen.
  • kishodarkishodar Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not liking the background texture used in a lot of the KDF windows. Was much nicer when it was plain like the Fed/Romulan UI.

http://i.imgur.com/NdHTQcv.jpg