test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question... Is the RP dead in STO?

Comments

• phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i always find it amusing that people whine about starfleet dental, when they tend to only annoy the ERPs , i don't think i've ever saw them make a deliberate attempt to troll actual roleplayers.
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Their presence of running around, dancing on tables where people are talking, throwing balloons and tribbles everywhere is, in and of itself, griefing and trolling.
  • starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phoenicius wrote: »
    i always find it amusing that people whine about starfleet dental, when they tend to only annoy the ERPs , i don't think i've ever saw them make a deliberate attempt to troll actual roleplayers.

They've stalked gatherings planned in the STORP.ORG channel before.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'm not sure you can blame dental solely for dancing on tables/whatever, when several people do that too, only difference is they tend to use male orions and EV suits when doing that.

and considering how several RPers act on drozana i find it hard to sympathize with them.

i know i can't set foot on drozana with a female character without getting weird PMs(more than usual for a MMO).
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited May 2013
    Their presence of running around, dancing on tables where people are talking, throwing balloons and tribbles everywhere is, in and of itself, griefing and trolling.

You have to be joking. How long have you felt the need to stop other people from enjoying playing games?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ubachungubachung Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Do you actually believe that using ingame items and commands in exactly the way they are intended to function is griefing? Don't you think if the devs didn't want these items and abilities to work the way they do they would have changed them? Do you even understand what trolling is?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • krypter3krypter3 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly think STO right now, it lacks the immersion needed to be an rp. Just doesn't have that depth. I love star trek and I love the game but it's just...yeah.
  • morosatummorosatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a frequent RPer, but have very rarely encountered impromptu RPs taking place in any of the social zones; whether that's a blessing or not, I won't truly know until I witness the horrors many people have described in the past! That being so, I wouldn't say that the RP is dead or lacks immersion in STO...

I joined the 12th Fleet largely because of the great things I'd heard about their RP and creative writing divisions, and it exceeded my expectations! With a division dedicated purely to RP (both in-game and forum based), there are a number of weekly RP series with designated two-hour slots for each particular narrative and the occasional impromptu session if enough people happen to be online at the time. As these RPs tend to be set on maps that need an invite or are fleet specific (starship bridges, the starbase, embassy etc), and have their own dedicated channel, I've never had any experience with the "RP Griefers" of lore and legend!

As for the immersion aspect, I feel there's quite a bit to work with in STO. The Federation and the Klingon Empire are once again at war, although there is a tenuous cease-fire between the two factions in order to fight their common enemy, the Borg. Borg forces are infringing on the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, with many captains working round the clock to keep these seemingly unstoppable enemies at bay. Meanwhile, the Romulans are attempting to rebuild everything they lost to the Hobus supernova, and are split by two distinct philosophies; those who wish to rebuild the former glory of the Empire, and those who favour peace and unity with their distant brothers, the Vulcans, and have started up the Romulan Republic. Many still live in fear of the Tal Shiar...

On top of that, there's rumour that the Undine have infiltrated the highest echelons of every major faction in the quadrants; your superiors, your friends and crew members, even that person you bumped into at Quarks, could be an Undine agent. There are even those so paranoid that they believe a race of mythical beings which supposedly existed 200,000 years ago could be behind all this, manipulating each side into destroying each other for their own surreptitious means.

Obviously it'd help immersion if the Vice Admirals would stop jumping on the tables and inflating balloons (something I myself have been guilty of on occasion, not for RP purposes but just 'coz! I wouldn't do it to intentionally disrupt RP), but that's one of the perils of RPing in a public social zone in any MMO.
    Worst case scenario: that VA is an Undine, and those balloons are actually weapons capable of causing damage beyond anyone's comprehension.

TL;DR: I like RP and have found a great group of people to RP with. Also, I can't write short posts, even when I intend to.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you actually believe that using ingame items and commands in exactly the way they are intended to function is griefing?

The silencing system says hello that has been abused to grief people to hell and back. Any system or command that can be abused in such a way can be seen as griefing. I have even seen people say they are setting off balloons or tribbles to annoy the RPers.

I am not an RPer it is not my scene. However I do see people who go to an intentionally organised RP event to cause problems are griefers and trolls.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    I RP all the time, but no one notices.

Almost everything I've ever said in chat has been in-character.

^I do this fairly often as well but like you it goes completely unnoticed.

devian666 wrote: »
    Look at this naming and shaming. This is the sort of abusive behaviour we have been trying to stamp out. Constant attacks and discrimination against us because we are the best roleplaying fleet on the server. It's pure jealousy.

Dental would like to carry on with their RP without being interrupted or harassed by public erotic roleplayers, and other players with some unusual agendas.

LOL... Whatever... I have never even seen Dental myself. You guys must be pretty weak if in all the time playing I have yet to see a single member.

However if you accept the Colgate pony as your Mistress and Overlord then I support you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBGL4LSFgA
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    The biggest problem you have with RP in STO, is the biggest problem you have with RP in every MMO out there.

No Roleplayer agrees exactly what RP means, and what is acceptable. So the RP Community tends to polarize, and then begin to infight.

I'm as guilty of it as everyone else. You try to be open minded, you try and RP where you want, but inevitably, you tend to become something of an RP snob, and RP with those like minded individuals that have the same RP "feel" as you do.

^Quoted for Truth.

i know i can't set foot on drozana with a female character without getting weird PMs(more than usual for a MMO).

Either I give off that "Look at me and I'll cram the bar up your rear." vibe or am just too darned stealthy because no one ever bothers me there and I do not have a single male character.

krypter3 wrote: »
    I honestly think STO right now, it lacks the immersion needed to be an rp. Just doesn't have that depth. I love star trek and I love the game but it's just...yeah.

Aye... That was my problem... The Immersion killing aspects of the utter Canon abolishing that Cryptic has a penchant for... ugghhh.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, it never happened to me. I did my devidian storyline, and even saw those weirdos, even went AFK several time between missions.
    But never received a pm from them.

Maybe my female characters are ugly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • levdarkenlevdarken Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like to RP. I try to include a bit of RP in everything I do including silly farm missions, even STF's, not to mention the normal story missions. I am always happy to RP with new people and am slowly turning my fleet in that direction. Shoot me a PM if any of you are interested. I can be on either side atm though my Klingon is back to basics for rebuild. My Fed though is supermax.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • kryptonianbadboykryptonianbadboy Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel if a group or groups of RPers set a private chat channel you monitor it and invite to it as you see fit . This would give the RPers a mode of getting players together to different locations and it would be kept private and wouldn't have the spam that zone chat has in it but they most likely have a channel. I know if I was a RPers in this game that s the route I would take so the dialog between RPers wouldn't get interrupted by talk of gorns and it would be filtered seamless dialog. I think if you get with a good role playing group and get a transcript from one of those chats from a private channel could translate into a great foundry mission to share with the community. I remember back in the day going in an aol chat channel roleplaying with a bunch of people it was awesome and some really great stories came out of that. Translating that to a visual medium would get more people to join.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lexusk19 wrote: »

I applaud what Dental is doing. Myself personally find RP silly but what really bothers me is the eRP. I find it quite entertaining how offended people become. In this game it is so EASY to not be bothered if you don't want to be. There are several places to be social with people, even private places like your Starbase, Bridge, Embassy. In my eyes if you don't want the balloons and antics of others it is beyond easy to ignore it.

Because of all those that find a need to talk dirty and explicit in public chat, I make sure to make some rounds at Drozana Station to add some balloons to the party.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Since we're going to lower ourselves to naming, shaming, and whining like a bunch of school children, I'd like to point out that using party poppers, standing on tables, and occasionally "rasing the roof" are all functions put into the game by the Devs, and despite your precious "immersion", they are not violating any of the TOS. Whereas RPers often resort to namecalling, inappropriate language, and threats when a few balloons float into their RP sessions, Dental's actions and speech are, on the whole, completely lacking any maliciousness.

Is this always the case? No. If there is evidence of a Dental using inappropriate language or acting maliciously, it is swiftly dealt with within the fleet.

While everyone likes to complain about Butts, his time is over and has been for months. Dental has moved on and would like others to follow suit. In the spirit of rebuilding trust with the greater player community, Dental has established the MOPP (Ministry of Peace and Prosperity), which internally handles claims of misbehavior by Dental members. I have repeatedly asked people to send me tells and in-game mail when they feel like they have been harassed or threatened by members of SFD, and with the proper evidence (chat logs, screen shots, etc) in place, an internal investigation is lauched and the offending SFD members warned or disciplined. It's true that some Dentals get a bit unruly, but thanks to the FEW players who have taken advantage of the MOPP's offer, several Dentals have been put on probation. One member was even expelled from the fleet just the other week, in fact.

The GMs may take awhile with tickets, but the MOPP was designed to respond quickly to any problems between Dentals and the greater STO playerbase. I know I have posted this on the forums before, but people seem content to moan and cry about their immersion while, ultimately, nothing is accomplished.
    Yeah, and a 24 chat ban when 5people ignore you is also ingame. However, if I, and 4friends, start ignoring you everyday so you can never speak, it would be quite annoying and "malicious", don't you think ?
    Never heard of the word "griefing" ?

I'm not defending the eRPer, they are weird. But I don't think the Dental are good guys either. You have really weird people and bully. Do we need to take a side ?

I don't know if they also grief legitimate RPer, but I wouldn't be surprised. They are not white knights. They are griefers. Not the worst kind, but there are no good kind either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    levdarken wrote: »
    I like to RP. I try to include a bit of RP in everything I do including silly farm missions, even STF's, not to mention the normal story missions. I am always happy to RP with new people and am slowly turning my fleet in that direction. Shoot me a PM if any of you are interested. I can be on either side atm though my Klingon is back to basics for rebuild. My Fed though is supermax.

You did just remind me that once I DID see someone RPing in an STF PUG. That was actually loads of fun. I really should have friended that one because it would have been a blast doing that again.

nabreeki wrote: »
    While everyone likes to complain about Butts, his time is over and has been for months. Dental has moved on and would like others to follow suit. In the spirit of rebuilding trust with the greater player community, Dental has established the MOPP (Ministry of Peace and Prosperity), which internally handles claims of misbehavior by Dental members. I have repeatedly asked people to send me tells and in-game mail when they feel like they have been harassed or threatened by members of SFD, and with the proper evidence (chat logs, screen shots, etc) in place, an internal investigation is lauched and the offending SFD members warned or disciplined. It's true that some Dentals get a bit unruly, but thanks to the FEW players who have taken advantage of the MOPP's offer, several Dentals have been put on probation. One member was even expelled from the fleet just the other week, in fact.

Oooooh you are goooood... However, my conditions still stand. Accept your new Pony overlord or no dice.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Captains, this thread is rapidly headed for closure due to numerous forum rules violations.

Let's keep the conversation civil.

Naming and shaming is strictly not allowed, whether it be an individual or a fleet. If you have an issue with someone's conduct in game there are in-game options and official channels to report it.

Any post that's been crafted to provoke an angry reaction is trolling and is subject to moderation, warnings, and infractions. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO TROLL POSTS! Report them.

If you are responsible for a post that breaks the rules, please take responsibility to go back and take out the inflammatory language. Otherwise, the Mods will have to exercise their responsibilities.

Read the rules (see above)

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited May 2013
    I had an interesting discussion with a RPer in Drozana last night. It was a general discussion but at the end he seemed to like the discussion. However, he implied that I was alright unlike the other space guild not to be mentioned. It was curious as he did not realise that I am a part of it. The myth that we're horrible people is spread far and wide, however it is not true. We participate in roleplaying across the entire server and no one realises.

I know roleplaying is not dead as I see players taking the role of a knowledgeable space captain leading the fight against the toughest enemies. It is certainly entertaining but it would be nice if there was less roleplaying and more dps in elite stfs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it is. You will always have those. Even myself do it some. Specially the use of emotes. Like using the tricorder and other stuff. I visit my ship interior often. However If I had more time to play like I used to. I would do lot more with it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just came back to the game the other day, and have been actively looking for RP, but just like when I played before (but to a seemingly greater degree thus far) RP is difficult to find at all.

Drozona hasn't changed all that much. Quasi-RP at best, and that's being kind. Mostly just players trolling about.

Quark's hasn't really been delivering either. I encountered this a lot before too. People would come to Quark's and appear to be RPing--RP walk, drinking emotes every few minutes, RP fleets, bios, etc.--but getting them to interact was about as futile as resisting the Borg.

I find it hard to believe the RP here is so abundant and awesome that people aren't jumping at the chance to interact with new, different players/characters. If it is that abundant and awesome, I must clearly be missing something. But this is the impression I get--it feels very exclusive.

Players seem to RP with their fleets, or the same few fleets, even in public hub-type spots.

For a player like me who never made a whole lot of connections before--mostly doing solo play to level/gear up, experience PvE content, and PvP--with a friends list that is basically empty and no fleet, with a KDF main (alien), finding RP is about as likely as getting a rare ship from a lockbox, it seems. This is one of the things that drove me away from the game before, so I'm really just hoping I'm missing something here, because otherwise I generally tend to enjoy the game.

Maybe I've just pigeonholed myself though. My character concept is very much unaligned, so to speak--a freelancer, if you will. This makes finding a fleet, let alone an RP fleet, seemingly that much more difficult as well. All the RP fleets I seem to come across are always heavily faction-based--either some extension of the Klingon Empire's military, or some extension of the Federation's Navy. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of fleet diversity from what I've seen. So perhaps that's another problem I'm encountering.
    edited May 2013
    Finding people on KDF side is more of a challenge. It's just a numbers game and there's a lot more fed players than KDF players on at any one time. You could have the same set up on the fed side and find more roleplaying fleets to spend your time with.

As for open world roleplaying there's not a lot out there most times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope, still rp a bunch within fleet, sometimes in inpromptus in ds9 and such.
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope, still rp a bunch within fleet, sometimes in inpromptus in ds9 and such.

But it needs to be said that the systems in sto dont really lend well to rping, but we shall try and try!
    edited May 2013
    deleroux wrote: »

I find it hard to believe the RP here is so abundant and awesome that people aren't jumping at the chance to interact with new, different players/characters. If it is that abundant and awesome, I must clearly be missing something. But this is the impression I get--it feels very exclusive.

Players seem to RP with their fleets, or the same few fleets, even in public hub-type spots.

For a player like me who never made a whole lot of connections before--mostly doing solo play to level/gear up, experience PvE content, and PvP--with a friends list that is basically empty and no fleet, with a KDF main (alien), finding RP is about as likely as getting a rare ship from a lockbox, it seems. This is one of the things that drove me away from the game before, so I'm really just hoping I'm missing something here, because otherwise I generally tend to enjoy the game.

Exclusive is a pretty solid way of describing it. It has gotten more exclusive because of all the harassment that RP'ers endure if they do not keep out the numerous trolls.

devian666 wrote: »
    I know roleplaying is not dead as I see players taking the role of a knowledgeable space captain leading the fight against the toughest enemies. It is certainly entertaining but it would be nice if there was less roleplaying and more dps in elite stfs.

lol... If you are good you have so much time for RP during Elite STF's that it is not a problem. With a good group I can take down Infected and KA elites with plenty of time to spare.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If we do not bring the problem to the forefront they will continue to cause issues. Just tonight alone I had two RP sessions broken up by the same group of trolls.

What they do is a serious breach of the TOS, it's harassment. Yet reporting them does nothing -- I see the same names night after night engaging in the same trolling behavior.

I again am going to call upon the folks who run this game to step up and start enforcing your very own TOS. You can't say there isn't a problem when I submitted five tickets this week already and other fleet-mates have issued tickets on the same issue as well. Right now, it is one specific group above all others that is causing the damage -- yet absolutely ZERO action is being taken.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had an interesting discussion with a RPer in Drozana last night. It was a general discussion but at the end he seemed to like the discussion. However, he implied that I was alright unlike the other space guild not to be mentioned. It was curious as he did not realise that I am a part of it. The myth that we're horrible people is spread far and wide, however it is not true.

As with any organisation it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the lot, preception wise that is. A few corrupt coppers get caught and reported about and pretty soon you hear "all coppers are corrupt". A few incidents in hospitals and all nurses are lazy and/or bad. So on and so on.

It is just the way things are unfortunately and I have been guilty of it myself where guilds/fleets/clans or whatever else games call them. However in some games I can look up the roster and see how many members there are. Lets say there are 400 and I have come across 5 then I will send off a mail to the leader expalining the issue, sometimes they have gotten back to me, thankedme for the info and then dealt with it. However let's say it is a small one of say 20 then it isn't worth sending of a mail as they tend to be close friends and or relatives at the small a size and so they know what they are likel so not much is going to be done.
    Exclusive is a pretty solid way of describing it. It has gotten more exclusive because of all the harassment that RP'ers endure if they do not keep out the numerous trolls.

I have only seen such excluisivity in games where there are no RP servers. In some games with no official RP servers one tends to get made the RP server by the players themselves, unofficially, but it tends to be upheld that way by the players in general. In these situations they welcome people who want to give RP a try even if the person is not going to do it all the time.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »

I know at least one of the RP groups I hang with has taken to RPing on Fleetbase and aboard ship because the harassment has gotten so bad. The other, has had to go to invite only as the number of spammers in the chat channel got overwhelming. I joined a third RP group just recently -- that group too is having to RP on fleet-bases and ships because a certain group has taken trolling and harassment to the extreme.

RP is going to become more exclusive and harder to find if the public harassment isn't addressed. When it gets to the point where people are spewing verbal/text pornography (WHICH IS A VIOLATION OF THE TOS) during a recruiting session on DS9, recruiting dies out... and RP becomes difficult to find.

So, community managers, customer-service reps, occasional Dev, Dan The Producer-Man... how are we going to fix this? The customers are asking for your help== Is this going to turn into another "don't fit in a lockbox, can't help you" issue like the broken skybox graphics? Or can we call out and actually get a response -- get things resolved this time?
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    If we do not bring the problem to the forefront they will continue to cause issues. Just tonight alone I had two RP sessions broken up by the same group of trolls.

What they do is a serious breach of the TOS, it's harassment. Yet reporting them does nothing -- I see the same names night after night engaging in the same trolling behavior.

I again am going to call upon the folks who run this game to step up and start enforcing your very own TOS. You can't say there isn't a problem when I submitted five tickets this week already and other fleet-mates have issued tickets on the same issue as well. Right now, it is one specific group above all others that is causing the damage -- yet absolutely ZERO action is being taken.

Given that you're admitting to using a group of players to abuse the report system in order to exert control over a group of players who RP within the TOS in a way that you don't like, it really begs the question - who are the harassers in this case?
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
    edited May 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    I know at least one of the RP groups I hang with has taken to RPing on Fleetbase and aboard ship because the harassment has gotten so bad. The other, has had to go to invite only as the number of spammers in the chat channel got overwhelming. I joined a third RP group just recently -- that group too is having to RP on fleet-bases and ships because a certain group has taken trolling and harassment to the extreme.

RP is going to become more exclusive and harder to find if the public harassment isn't addressed. When it gets to the point where people are spewing verbal/text pornography (WHICH IS A VIOLATION OF THE TOS) during a recruiting session on DS9, recruiting dies out... and RP becomes difficult to find.

So, community managers, customer-service reps, occasional Dev, Dan The Producer-Man... how are we going to fix this? The customers are asking for your help== Is this going to turn into another "don't fit in a lockbox, can't help you" issue like the broken skybox graphics? Or can we call out and actually get a response -- get things resolved this time?

You should tell the whole truth about your agenda.

What you will not be aware of is that there are actually serious ToS breaches. Some include soft core TRIBBLE in forum signatures through to behaviour in game that is actually criminal or would highly offend any adult. It is getting so bad that it is getting media worthy, and an environment that parents would not want the their children exposed to. I find it rather saddening that there are players that risk bringing this game into disrepute.

I recommend reporting actual ToS violations rather than imaginary ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.