test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rom/Omega Plasma Torps vs Crystalline Entity?

akistosakistos Member Posts: 16 Arc User
in an encounter today, i was told by two individuals to stop using Plasma Torpedoes against the CE. They claimed that my torpedoes were healing it. I switched over to my combat log to check and saw only damage notifications.

However, we all know that not all the readouts and tooltips are accurate (Take shuttle to fleet starbase, anyone?) so i asked them to verify their claims with a link.

One of them only called me a noob and was immediately ignored. The other simply said "look it up."

So i did. I googled several phrases: "new crystalline entity healed by torpedoes" "plasma torps vs crystalline entity" and others. I checked the first two pages of results for each string and found nothing. The STOWiki only has information for the old encounter.

Once again, i asked them to link me the source of their information. He refused again, saying that he had been playing for a year and that "experience" was all the proof he needed.

So, can anyone confirm/deny? Hard facts are appreciated.

screenshot of last part of convo
Post edited by akistos on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Would be news to me. I just avoid the Rom ones because with so much FAW from the CE and Tholians I'd think half of them would never make it to their target, and the Omega one is useful for spiking but it runs out of ammo so quickly. But actually healing the CE? Maybe they're thinking of the old version of it?
  • Options
    byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    from my experience when it goes into it's energy healing phase the actual torp hit is good but the plasma DoT is considered energy damage and heals it. because of that I switch out my plasma torp for this mission.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been flying a ship with disruptors an those plasmatorps. I haven't had any negative effects, i.e. healing the crystal. It looses its health alright.
    /Floozy
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not only were they not healing it, aside from its regeneration (which is pretty high, really), it doesn't have any of its old healing. All the stuff that used to heal it now just gives it a damage buff.

During absorb phases, the plasma fire will be absorbed, but that means the shockwave is going to hit harder, it does not mean you're healing it. Worst thing you can do is ramp up the shockwave to where a few people get taken out in it.
  • Options
    sgtstarfallsgtstarfall Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Plasma torpedoes, pets, mines no longer heal the entity. This was stated in the CE revamp release notes. They're indeed thinking of the old CE where people brought in carrier and mines, healing the CE in the process. I remember people went as far as to say stop using torpedo high yields and spreads because the large shards would burst into the small healing shards even if they were destroyed through normal means (old CE).
    edited April 2013
    Heh...

Those are the self-proclaimed experts who thought they knew everything about the CE before and now after the revamp.

Contrary to common belief, Torpedoes never healed the CE... Claiming so is just plain stupid by those who do.
    Ignore them... They don't know half as much as they used to:

Read this walkthrough to figure out why they are wrong, and why they mistakenly thought that those weapons healed the CE: http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_Crystalline_Catastrophe/Walkthrough

Read this for futher info, on the new event.
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=859041
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    akistosakistos Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My initial reaction was that these two were working together to get me to stop firing so they could more easily get first place in the event and thus, better gear rewards.

To that extent, i'm ashamed to say they succeeded. I spent nearly 90 seconds of time out of range, not firing, trying to do *their* work for them and substantiate their claims with proof.

They were typical aggressive testostertrolls though and when i joked in chat about them needing to distract me so they could get first place, they came back with "we don't need to distract you noob," et sim.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    The only time torpedoes were bad to use against the CE was back in the first (VERY EVIL) version of the CE. Back then... one good torpedo spread was enough to TRIBBLE the whole thing over. You could have it down to 20% HP... then have some random noob join the match and unleash a torpedo spread. Shards everywhere, and the small ones healed it. Guess what? All that work down the drain. Start from scratch.

The old version was dang near impossible because of that. Now... Torpedoes are one of the best weapons to use as its Kenetic resistance is only set to high, unlike its energy resistance which is at very high.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The only time torpedoes were bad to use against the CE was back in the first (VERY EVIL) version of the CE. Back then... one good torpedo spread was enough to TRIBBLE the whole thing over. You could have it down to 20% HP... then have some random noob join the match and unleash a torpedo spread. Shards everywhere, and the small ones healed it. Guess what? All that work down the drain. Start from scratch.

The old version was dang near impossible because of that. Now... Torpedoes are one of the best weapons to use as its Kenetic resistance is only set to high, unlike its energy resistance which is at very high.

Nope. Torpedo Spreads never healed it.
    Only targetable projectiles and other spam did, because the large shards attacked the torpedo as a target, making it spawn small shards.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the Beta version of it or something, I don't completely remember how it worked then.
    But then it wouldn't be very evil, since it was the space bar mash it is today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CE event was indeed filled with self proclaimed experts.
    Was asked to stop attacking the large fragments once, because that would spawn the small and those would heal the CE.
    I for one am glad the event itself is over... No more reason to actually try and kill the CE. :-)
  • Options
    sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some people in this game can be quite rude. Why can't we all just throw rose petals and sing kumbaya?
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No, the torpedoes do not heal the entity. The number of times I got rude PMs asking me to stop killing large shards or to stop shooting the entity with torps.

Hell, one match I was in a science vessel popping gravity well to keep the shards contained, and this player demanded I stop doing it. I asked why, they called me a noob and told me the small shards heal it. I asked them if they read the patch notes recently. I got called a noob again with no answer :rolleyes:. So I said you haven't have you, the small shards now provide a damage buff to the entity, not heals. And those damage buffs can be cleared with several of my science abilities. Dead silence :cool:.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    dieutoutpuissantdieutoutpuissant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They lied to you. Romulan torps are optimal for the CE event. They didn't want you to score 1st. ;)
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only bad thing about the hyper plasma torpedo is that it gets shot down a lot.

Fire at will spam is quite bad against it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Only targetable projectiles and other spam did, because the large shards attacked the torpedo as a target, making it spawn small shards.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the Beta version of it or something, I don't completely remember how it worked then.

I was referring to the infamous ORIGINAL version of the CE.
    http://www.stowiki.org/Crystalline_Catastrophe/Walkthrough_-_Original_Mission

This new one is actually doable unlike the above version.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for sharing. The best course of action is to immediately ignore them...and tell your fleet mates to ignore them!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was referring to the infamous ORIGINAL version of the CE.
    http://www.stowiki.org/Crystalline_Catastrophe/Walkthrough_-_Original_Mission

This new one is actually doable unlike the above version.

So was he... The spread never created the small fragments... The large fragments actually had to collide with something they had targeted...

Since Torp spread isnt targetable... Well..

There you see OP, how much confusion there is over a simple thing.

Me... I am the proud owner of 1'st place pre-accolade, post-accolade, pre-queue, post-queue and Revamped CE...

Basically: Been there, Done that, won them all.
    shaltor wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. The best course of action is to immediately ignore them...and tell your fleet mates to ignore them!

Yup
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    akistos wrote: »
    My initial reaction was that these two were working together to get me to stop firing so they could more easily get first place in the event and thus, better gear rewards.

Use 2 copies of Gravity Well, and blast that entity with Tachyon Beams every chance you get. You'll get first place pretty handily. No matter what your weapons are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only thing that heals the entity are small shards returning to it.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The original CE was a joke which was only available during beta. The old CE was created since the original CE was too easy. The current CE is far more difficult than the original CE.
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plasma torpedoes, pets, mines no longer heal the entity. This was stated in the CE revamp release notes. They're indeed thinking of the old CE where people brought in carrier and mines, healing the CE in the process. I remember people went as far as to say stop using torpedo high yields and spreads because the large shards would burst into the small healing shards even if they were destroyed through normal means (old CE).

Like others have been saying, the old CE never healed off of normal beams, cannons, or "light" torps.

The CE *only* healed when the large fragments physically rammed a ship (player or NPC), heavy torps, boarding shuttles, fighters, holo-ships, NPC reinforcements...anything you can target...and spawned healing shards that rushed back to the CE.

*Destroying* large fragments with normal beams, cannons, or "light" torps was and still is safe...and is part of some successful strategies for the old CE to keep the large fragments down from swarming groups. Healing shards *never* spawn when their large fragment host is destroyed in such fashion.

There's a clear difference between destroying a large fragment and letting it ram you or something else targetable.

So every time an old CE run reached down to 30%'ish of the CE's health and then would suddenly rush upwards in percentage? It's because someone got their ship rammed by a series of large fragments no one was cleaning up, or they were spamming powers that spawned targetable objects for the fragments to ram, again *NOT* beams, cannons, or "light" torps unlike some would tell you...*or* they would be trying to use ramming speed only to blow through a swarm of large fragments that ram them, not knowing that the devs nerfed that ability a long time ago to prevent people from easily killing things like the old CE.

I had people in a few old CE run tell me that they only told "noobs" to not attack large fragments, even if they knew better, because they didn't want the so-called "noobs" "messing up." So instead of disseminating useful and accurate information, they'd rather spread half-truths to benefit themselves. And this only spread as those "noobs" told others the same thing, and on and on...quite frustrating when trying to explain and prove otherwise.

The new CE doesn't heal off of the shards that spawn from large fragment collisions anymore, but they will buff it. And large fragments no longer focus on large torps, boarding shuttles, and some other prior-mentioned targetables, focusing on player vessels now.

Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about, hasn't been reading dev blogs, dev posts, or any such informative info.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    millybun wrote: »
    Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about, hasn't been reading dev blogs, dev posts, or any such informative info.

It's amazing how hard it is to stop people from spreading mis- and disinformation. It's no wonder people never finished the old CE.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only time the entity heals is from the normal innate regeneration that all NPCs have. Entity just has a slightly higher rate the game says.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The spread broke up large fragments into small ones. The small fragments healed the CE back then. Which is why you either came in with insane DPS, or kited the probes. AoE was a pretty big no-no.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL at the 'experts' when the encounter in it's current form has been out for less than 2 weeks.

Not anymore. Small shards now give it a damage buff. They do NOT heal it.
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The spread broke up large fragments into small ones. The small fragments healed the CE back then. Which is why you either came in with insane DPS, or kited the probes. AoE was a pretty big no-no.

Torp high yield used in conjunction with something like a plasma torp to generate a targetable heavy torp is, beyond unique warheads spawned by certain consoles that can be targeted, probably what you mean.

*Destroying* large fragments never spawned healing shards. It's only when large fragments *ram* something targetable that they spawned healing shards from the collision. This means if you tried to fire heavy torps at a large fragment, then yes, it could ram it as it's incoming and generate healing shards from the collision.

But a spread of normal "light" torps like quantums or photons? Nope.

AOE's were generally safe to use, so long as the object creating the AOE's isn't targetable for the large fragments to home in on and collide with. Again, heavy torps, mines, boarding shuttles, fighters, NPC reinforcements...

Even the devs have stated this much in the last blog/news article in regards to how the old CE worked opposed to the new CE, as well as older posts and articles.

For example, from http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=859041 : "[...] the Entity and its Fragments will no longer pursue targets other than players. This means that Mines, Targetable Torpedoes, Hanger Pets and Summoned Reinforcements can be freely used during the encounter without fearing that they will trigger negative repercussions."

calamintha wrote: »
    It's amazing how hard it is to stop people from spreading mis- and disinformation. It's no wonder people never finished the old CE.

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, some people in one run spreading the misinformation would /tell me to stop trying to explain how it works, that it was just easier for them to keep the less-informed freaked out over doing *anything* that might hinder the misinformers' run.

This is why so many are confused, it just keeps spreading, and people *still* don't know how even the new CE works because they don't bother to read up the latest news and dev blogs about it, relying on inaccurate and old information, believing even sneezing at large fragments will spawn healing shards that no longer exist in their old form.