test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've got two minor bugbears with the character selection screen.

1.)Swapping between characters is much slower/takes longer to load the ship and all the characters.

2.)The Bortas does not fit on the screen. It looks a bit silly only seeing the back half of the ship. Scaling the ships, naturally, takes away the sense of scale between them, but at the the time, it's rather jarring when you have a ship soo large half of it is offscreen.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new darker "Classic" uis, especially the classic klingon.

Its dark red goes well with any character.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • magnadoodlemagnadoodle Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    dialog window:
    Looking nice, but does it work? Well, a basic design rule is: form follows function.

The classic side-by-side splitting has shown the character in portrait mode, the text in letter format.
    This focuses perception on the important parts and ensures comfort in usage.

The new horizontal splitting seems to follow the trend that everything needs to be widescreen'd nowadays.
    But does this make sense? Sure, seeing more of the background/location maybe an eye-candy addition but that's it mainly about.
    Though the window being bigger the text area doesn't benefit from this as it kinda stayed in size. The resulting bigger buttons aren't really needed.

For the rest let me just say: it's nice and turned out better than I expected but I still have to agree one some things already mentioned in this thread. ;)
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any chance we're going to be seeing color coded powers in the power trays?
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the new UI is great.

On my screen it seems considerably less intrusive than the old one. I love how the pop ups resemble a viewscreen, I love the options they give you to put the ship on screen or hail and such. You can tell a lot of work was put into it and I want to thank Thomas for that, he did an amazing job on it.

I think it's very Trek and it makes the game feel so much nicer.
  • rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I like the new look and feel of the UI, there's one thing I dont like.

The in your face message popups. I really wish this was a little more scaleable.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I like the new look and feel of the UI, there's one thing I dont like.

The in your face message popups. I really wish this was a little more scaleable.

I dont like it as well. The positioning is annoying and we got no control over it.

If it happens in GUI I want control over placement. :(
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • deathomightdeathomight Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ui has improved a good deal since it first was shown, good work, really digging it now!
  • keichan2371keichan2371 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love it. I love it so much, I would like it ON HOLODECK RIGHT NOW! Damn, IMO it's just way better than the old one. I wish they would just release it earlier as a mini-mega update or whatnot. Or find a way to mod into there.
  • deusemperordeusemperor Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    THERE IS ONLY ONE THING YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS THE BEST UI EVER! A way to delete all of the exchange messages... like seriously I open up my mail and the game lags because of so many messages. I'd like more functionality to the in game mail system, if I can delete all from a certain sender like Exchange I'd be able to keep my mail empty. Or delete messages by subject type like Item sold in exchange for example. PLEASE MAKE IT SO!
  • pollyandjuhrompollyandjuhrom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love it. I love it so much, I would like it ON HOLODECK RIGHT NOW! Damn, IMO it's just way better than the old one. I wish they would just release it earlier as a mini-mega update or whatnot. Or find a way to mod into there.

Wow. I wish I did too. I have nothing but bad things to say about the LCARS look and feel. To me, it's akin to a poorly drawn cartoon when compared to the current look. The font is poorly drawn, and the pop-ups are exceedingly annoying.

I'll look at it again once the shock wears off, but I enjoyed nothing in the new UI or popups.

Can this be turned off or has my computer become a console?

I didn't get to play as a Romulan, but I'm not frustrated by this. I don't have the vocabulary to state how unimpressed I am and unwelcome the new UI is for me.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't have the vocabulary to state how unimpressed I am and unwelcome the new UI is for me.

I have the vocabulary, unfortunately I think I would get a Forum Ban if I used it... lol

It is very blocky and some of the shapes and fonts on things, particularly the health bars make it look and feel like something done on a very old computer.
  • pollyandjuhrompollyandjuhrom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    I have the vocabulary, unfortunately I think I would get a Forum Ban if I used it... lolr.

LOL. I do wish I could see how the Romulans ships play.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    crypticttc - The "classic" muted colors schemes are nice and I'm using the Romulan one now.

With that said, it would still be nice to have a black and white scheme with grey accents if possible for us minimalist types.

Also the fly-in message, it rather annoying, as it places itself on the left side of my monitor. Can you give us control of it so we can place it in a fixed location like the other elements of the GUI?
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • llywelallywela Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually very much like the new UI.

Just please... PLEASE... put a lock option on the UI Windows so that I'm not dragging one of them across the screen. This one simple option is the only thing with the new or old UI that I would love to see.

I would like to see this too.
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    make it look and feel like something done on a very old computer.

Well, considering the fact that it's based on a graphic design created in the late 1980s, that's not surprising.
  • dborgslayerzadborgslayerza Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First let me say, I am very impressed with the work that has been put into the Romulan faction. It is clear that a lot of thought has been put into the faction and the story line which I must admit is really an enjoyable story to follow and be a part of.

There are a few bugs I have noted some of which I have posted bug reports and they have been fixed, the biggest and perhaps most annoying being when you map move the bridge officers have to be reset, it is something that you can work around but is annoying.

The only other issue I have noted is I completed the mission about no more neutrality which takes you to level 10 and gives you a new ship, I got my new ship and kept playing, on completing level 15 I was given this mission again and am not able to complete it, or remove it from my mission tab. At first I wasn't able to continue with the story line, however after a bug report to the GM this was fixed, but the mission is still on my mission tab. There are a few misspellings I have noted but can't remember were I saw them, I apologize for that.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 21 levels of the Romulan faction and am looking forward eagerly to taking my character to level 50.

Thanks again for the work you guys have put into this, I for one appreciate it.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find it exceedingly strange all of the comments of people saying that it looks like a poorly drawn cartoon.

It looks like an Aeroglass version of LCARS which I feel works extremely well visually. I don't know if it's graphics settings or just personal taste. I suppose the health bars and such could use a touch of polish, but I get no impressions of poorly drawn anything. I've seen poorly drawn cartoons, this isn't one of them.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • keichan2371keichan2371 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I completely agree. Although there are some problems here and there, I really love it, it's a lot better than the old one. Maybe it's just me, but it looks more polished than the older one. I also love the fact, that on the main menu bar it actually says main menu and not main m.... or sth like that. From all the romulan stuff, the one i waited for the most is this update (and some new story missions of course).
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have some additional comments about the latest changes to the UI.

1. From the patch notes on April 22, 2013:
    • Updated the HUD:
      • Improved visibility of the clock and zone name on the minimap.

Thank you for looking into this. I no longer think this is a size issue. The clock text and zone name look blurry. Also, the text and icons on the C-store and dilithium store buttons are harder to distinguish from their backgrounds on Tribble than on Holodeck. Please compare the following screenshots from Holodeck and Tribble.

http://i.imgur.com/VH7Z5Im.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/NKE1cvT.jpg

2. From the patch notes on April 22, 2013:
    • Updated the HUD:
      • Moved buff timer below the edge of the buff icon.

Thank you for fixing this. The timer numbers are easier to read now. But I would increase the separation between the timer numbers and the buff icons (both on the ground and in space). Please compare the following screenshots from Holodeck and Tribble.

http://i.imgur.com/eGRzxUG.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OrfzHnp.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wvZUGrS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8XQBcTy.jpg
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited April 2013
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    Well, considering the fact that it's based on a graphic design created in the late 1980s, that's not surprising.
    I always found the LCARS design to be quite futuristic. The problem I have is the very square health bars the buff bars, they look wrong. I also think that the levelling bar, looked better as it was with it's round and slender shapes. The new one is rather blocky and obtrusive.

Since I can scale the size of the interface, the oversized nature of it all is less of a concern.

However I have noticed as has been posted already that the clock and the zone information looks a little blurry no matter what size I use.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I find it exceedingly strange all of the comments of people saying that it looks like a poorly drawn cartoon.

It looks like an Aeroglass version of LCARS which I feel works extremely well visually. I don't know if it's graphics settings or just personal taste. I suppose the health bars and such could use a touch of polish, but I get no impressions of poorly drawn anything. I've seen poorly drawn cartoons, this isn't one of them.

The funny thing is if it had an actually modern look you'd have the JJ Pitchfork and Torches Society crying into their fruit smoothies that it looked too much like an Apple I-Store or something else that pretends we're supposed to not see that almost every sci-fi design in history is a prisoner of the era in which it was created. It's an inescapable issue of working in the genre.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • regnarokq1aregnarokq1a Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Truly a GREAT job devs! those of u who don't particularly like the new UI should play with it in ur options menu for a bit. I love it. the one thing I really dislike is the fact that my powers in the powers tray disappear when I transfer from one map to another.......surely this is not "working as intended". even extends to all of my toons on tribble, not just my romulan. but I look at it like its an omelet.... before tis done u gotta pick out a few pieces of eggshell. :D
  • infenrainfenra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The chat command "/who" no longer brings up the social search window with who is in the local zone automatically.
    ____----____----____----____----____----____

Marshall of the Omega Rangers Fleet, Director of Personnel.

Here to help.
    edited April 2013
    Can it please be changed so that the chat window does completely vanish on map changes?

It's very frustrating.
    edited April 2013
    The funny thing is if it had an actually modern look you'd have the JJ Pitchfork and Torches Society crying into their fruit smoothies that it looked too much like an Apple I-Store or something else that pretends we're supposed to not see that almost every sci-fi design in history is a prisoner of the era in which it was created. It's an inescapable issue of working in the genre.

OHHHH. You mean the reaction I (and many) had to the JJ-verse Enterprise i-Bridge :P

Yeah it's true. :D

I had an idea that would be exceptionally jarring.

Imagine it they had a custom UI that attempted to give us a TOS interface?
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I somehow want all these things to appear in a TOS UI. :D
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    I somehow want all these things to appear in a TOS UI. :D

What have I done.

Those are great animations, but God what a loud website. A mute option would've been appreciated.
  • captainwestbrookcaptainwestbrook Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to suggest; that when you minimize the chatbox, the icon be a combadge like how it currently is, rather than an icon labelled "chat". The combadge looks way cooler. :cool:
    Join www.UFPlanets.com
    5 FED Fleets | 3 KDF Fleets - T5 Colony on both factions
    Mack.png
  • rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I do hope that they fix the back grounds and some of the cutscenes. It was odd seeing Federation backgrounds and phaser rifles in some of the message popups and cutscenes.But other then that...looking forward to this.